Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Gwaihir posted:

I wouldn't charge for it since it's surplus, other than just whatever it took to pack and ship. But, like, that would be a lot, lol

The old machine is on top. Each of those CECs are about 100 pounds, I think.

Oh man, if you were in Atlanta I'd be there in a heartbeat.

I have a couple IBM PowerPC and Cell blades in my old IBM E series bladecenter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I still have an old DEC Alphaserver workstation, I used to have an SGI Onyx 2, pretty neat systems and absurdly powerful for their day.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Gwaihir posted:

I wouldn't charge for it since it's surplus, other than just whatever it took to pack and ship. But, like, that would be a lot, lol

The old machine is on top. Each of those CECs are about 100 pounds, I think.

Goony Trip report!

Me and Cowman drove down from Atlanta to meet up with Gwaihir and picked up the IBMs!

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 4, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

priznat posted:

I’m really curious to hear about homelab projects too, I can never think of things I want to do yet want to get setups like RPi clusters for no reason :haw:

Of course, we also have an awesome homelab thread I started for that: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3945277

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Power 770s are installed! Will be wiring them up tomorrow and doing initial testing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Tried to power up the Power 770s but the HMC is toast so if I want to boot them I'll need another HMC or connect to them serially to boot

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

JawnV6 posted:

I designed something with a MSP430, it had a capacitive sensor.

The factory reported that they would put the device into the test jig, turn the power on, and the software would report PASS before they got anywhere near the capacitive sensor. The eventual root cause was the UART lines TX/RX were providing enough juice for the chip to boot and limp through the cap sense procedure. When it got a real power supply the numbers got big enough that the SW recorded the PASS because it saw enough swing on the pads.

The ISA was understandably limited. I had a few bit-shifts, but the ISA didn't have anything variable so they just had a function that was 10 of them they'd jump into at the appropriate point. Switch statements got boiled down to a jump table. An intern wrote something like (I%40) and saw it executing orders of magnitude slower because it was spending the vast majority of time doing that division.

IIRC ARM's first CPU had this happen where they couldn't turn it off because it would get enough current from the I/O pins to stay on

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

eschaton posted:

I just built out a little RISC-V workstation!

• SiFive HiFive Unmatched development board
  • Fractal Design Node 202 mini-ITX case
  • Fractal Design Ion SFX-L 650W Gold power supply (do not use this, I was stupid, it’s oriented the wrong way for the case)
  • Intel WiFi 6 (Gig+) Desktop Kit for M.2 WiFi and Bluetooth
  • WD Blue 2TB M.2 NVME SSD
  • AMD Radeon 5450 2GB PCIe video card

It came right up from the SiFive SD card images, as one should expect.

In the next year or so, I should be able to switch it to either Fedora or FreeBSD.

Gotta post some photos!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Gwaihir posted:

Ever get things going to the point of loading up an OS and running any benchmarks btw?

Gonna get there, work has had me loaded down.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Got the Power 770's reset, added to a Virtual HMC, and got a console! Trying to boot Ubuntu from USB via the SMS menu now!

Unfortunately it seems to hang after GRUB launches. But progress! In the meantime, we've got all the resources available: 24 CPUs and 256GB of RAM. Took some troubleshooting because it wasn't bringing up both nodes originally, turns out the cross connect bridge was loose.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 9, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
This chunky fucker sucked down double my normal amps during the firmware factory reset:

Normally hovers around ~7Amps with everything running, this guy added another 7 on top of it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hasturtium posted:

Considering there’s a cheerful lunatic porting Slackware to Power, I’m shocked NetBSD doesn’t support it. Maybe CommieGIR can offer some level of server access to an OSS project.

If anyone would like access to a Power VM, sure. Right now gotta get the disks partition and OS setup, but we're 90% of the way there.

There's also a Power8 server at work that may fall into my possession here soon.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah but is Amazon actually ever going to release it to Market outside of having to go through AWS?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hasturtium posted:

I know nobody’s kicked this thread in a while, but I fell down a bit of a YouTube wormhole learning a bit about PA-RISC. Anybody have thoughts or impressions? Of all the machines I ran into in college computer labs or friend’s eBay-harvested collections, they’re one I never managed to run into.

I have one of these on top of my rack, came with several boxes of accessories, manuals, etc.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

priznat posted:

This thread reminded me I had been keeping an eye out for the BeagleV Risc-V SBC, but looks like it got cancelled :sigh:

Any other Risc-V Pi-alikes coming out?

I think it got spun off:

https://www.techradar.com/news/a-risc-v-raspberry-pi-rival-is-about-to-hit-the-market

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Will say I'm a little disappointed Nvidia won't get their hands on ARM's IP. That would've been exciting, monopoly aside.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

priznat posted:

It’s interesting as a lot of SoCs are moving away from Arm to Risc-V, I imagine the sale falling through may slow it down a little bit as Arm may be more willing to get competitive with licensing fees?

I don’t think the trend will stop though. Nvidia/arm would have been a solid combo both for enterprise and for consumer stuff. Now I wonder if nvidia joins the risc -v train even!

Is it? Honestly most SoCs I see for embedded stuff remain ARM and ARM still has a significant advantage in power consumption. I could be wrong.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

feedmegin posted:

I think some SoC vendors and other members of the ecosystem are talking about it specifically to get better deals out of ARM. I don't think there's any kind of seismic shift actually happening. Same as how 32-bit ARM servers were constantly touted as the future a few years ago because that got datacentres better rates out of Intel. Then everyone actually making them, e.g. Cavium, went bust because noone was actually buying it.

An NVidia acquisition would possibly have changed this, because NVidia+ARM is direct competition that makes its own silicon in a way that ARM now specifically is not. You don't want your competitor owning your architecture; ARM has got where it has by being conspicuously neutral.

I'm still pissed AMD and Intel dropped their Hybrid x86-64/ARM CPU plans. That could've been gamechanging.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/risc-v-laptop-world-first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

icantfindaname posted:

So why has there never been a successful x86 phone or embedded chip?

Power consumption for one. ARM from day one had crazy excellent power characteristics, including being able to run off small input voltages from I/O pins which they discovered during its initial development.