Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BobHoward posted:

I couldn't make it through this, it's as disappointing as his writing for AnandTech always was

Dude just read his tweets to me, what the hell is that about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I worked on some of the Linux/MIPS stuff that it’s based on, but I think I recycled my Cobalt unit a decade ago…

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The basis of the JIT that Adobe and Mozilla collaborated on circa 2007, which briefly became the assembly layer of TraceMonkey before we tore it out, was a Forth interpreter. It was fun to play with! It might have shipped as part of Flash too, I can’t remember the chronology precisely.

E: I think it did! https://bluishcoder.co.nz/2008/05/21/extending-tamarin-tracing-with-forth.html is of the era.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 1, 2022

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BobHoward posted:

And how. Bob Colwell is probably a somewhat biased source, given that he was part of the x86 faction in Intel, but the following has the ring of truthiness because how else could a disaster like Itanium happen?

I love this, and choose to believe it. major corporate strategy has been set on grounds much weaker than 30 lines of simulated instructions. where can I read more?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

eschaton posted:

I know a bunch of people who have recapped the PSUs. The VAXen themselves typically don’t need it.

Jesus Christ, I haven’t felt this young in years.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

oh poo poo, I led their seed round years ago. I didn't know they were into RISC-V now, but it makes sense for them for sure

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It doesn’t sound like it exists yet.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is that proposal likely to go anywhere? Seems like a pretty hard case for national security to trump the first amendment for someone writing down how to fold proteins or whatever as an ISA extension, but I guess it’s possible. What was the government’s reaction to the proposal?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ugh

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Did I miss some major developments, or is the author of this architecture book perhaps unreasonably generous in his assessment of RISC-V’s market success?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I mean “begun to make” can do a lot of work but it feels like RISC-V is still trying to catch Itanium in terms of actual production usage.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

repiv posted:

which thread do i post about XScale in??

Create something in Pet Island I guess.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Altivec rides again

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’ve increasingly been seeing little ESP32 analogues built on RISC-V. is that because new-shiny targeted at compulsively acquisitive nerds, or does RISC-V offer some power/area advantage that’s worthwhile? the pricing is hard for me to compare because I can’t find any pair that are the same except core architecture

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hasturtium posted:

the Pioneer is wild overkill for what I’m looking for

as I understand these things, you’ve found your solution

unrelated: did anyone collate all the RISC-V bashing from this thread anywhere? I’d love to have it in one place

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hasturtium posted:

It's better outside of x86 than it's been for ages, but there's still a long way to go. Here's hoping for more interesting things to come.

get some FPGAs and switch ISAs whenever you want!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BobHoward posted:

Here's two links I've collected, one old and one from a month ago.

https://gist.github.com/erincandescent/8a10eeeea1918ee4f9d9982f7618ef68
https://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=3639445

The second isn't exclusively about RISC-V and contains little outright bashing, but given who the author is, when he critiques RISC-V, it hits hard.

Thanks, the erincandescent one is something I’ve been looking for specifically.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

eschaton posted:

I just set up an m88k-interest mailing list for people still interested in the Motorola 88000 series

That doesn’t look like majordomo?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

however much Mac 88k hardware is out there, 50% of it passed through Weird Stuff (RIP)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

show me the Act 3 numbers!

but yeah that’s about what I got on the Steam Deck and it’s definitely playable

what’s that part go for?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This looks very cool, though I haven’t really dug into it:

https://github.com/adam-maj/tiny-gpu

quote:

If you want to learn how a CPU works all the way from architecture to control signals, there are many resources online to help you.

GPUs are not the same.

Because the GPU market is so competitive, low-level technical details for all modern architectures remain proprietary.

While there are lots of resources to learn about GPU programming, there's almost nothing available to learn about how GPU's work at a hardware level.

The best option is to go through open-source GPU implementations like Miaow and VeriGPU and try to figure out what's going on. This is challenging since these projects aim at being feature complete and functional, so they're quite complex.

This is why I built tiny-gpu!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

anyone know what sort of FPGA you need to run the CHERI implementation? thinking about making a dumb purchase

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The ARM Morello is what they're using for CheriBSD.

I don’t think the ARM Morello is an FPGA, but yes that’s true.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

it’s OK

does anyone know what kind of FPGA you need to run the CHERI implementation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nice, thanks all. I don’t think I can mail the CHERI folks right now without embarrassing myself, but I found a promising YouTube channel to learn the basics.

https://youtube.com/@fpgasforbeginners?si=kI7Tv04zdqLcjha0