Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

movax posted:

I hate MSP430s. Used them in space applications (at the time, it was the 'lol FRAM is invincible logic') and ran into the same issues as above, but due to I2C. No built in CAN controller also sucked. FRAM is destructive reads, so IIRC, at least the FR5969 had a stupidly large amount of die area spent on capacitance to help not corrupt itself upon power loss.

Also -- thanks for this thread appearing! I had typed up a vague OP with a list of random archs to toss out for discussion, but it's now lost to the ages. Anyone use any of the weird Japanese market uArchs? NEC V850s were popular in automotive for a short bit of time -- I'm still fascinated by how many of those uArchs are still running around even with Cortex-M eating everything. That market tends to be insular / leverage local suppliers, so some of those are gonna be around for awhile.

What kinda cool space stuff did you work on? Is CAN-bus used for space applications too?

Selklubber fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

movax posted:

Mostly CubeSats / small spacecraft, and then one deep-space mission before everything ran out of money. People are making rad-tolerant CAN transceivers now, so it’s gaining a bit of traction with the newer players. Other common space architectures are SPARC, and a few folks are getting ARM and RISC-V up-to-snuff to get flying. POWER of course is represented — RAD750 runs both Curiosity and Perseverance.

Oh that's cool. I like reading about space computers and stuff.
I mostly worked with PLCs, and worst case if you gently caress up the programming remotely you have to take a plane to the other side of the country to fix it. Must be exiting/assclenchingly to make stuff that can't be easily reprogrammed.