Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Just discovered a Sun Ultra 10 in the crawlspace under my house. Trying to decide if I want to ask the landlord about it or just let sleeping SPARCs lie; god knows I've got enough old computer hardware around already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Hasturtium posted:

Mail it to me? I could use a SPARC, if your landlord doesn’t care.

I don't even know if it works, and the shipping would be hells of expensive, and when I look at your avatar I worry that you might try to revive Plan 9's sparc64 kernel and that's just not good for anyone :v:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Hasturtium posted:

If it doesn’t work I’ll Frankenstein an x86 machine or a cluster of Pi’s into it. You can trust me! And I solemnly swear Plan 9 will not find a home there.

Heck, if you want to see if it powers on that’d be a useful first step. I’ll cover shipping if it comes down to it.

If I ask the landlord about it and he says I can have it, and if it powers up, and if I don't want to keep it myself because I have always kinda liked Sun hardware, I'll check in with you.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Mofabio posted:

Sure! So the adder is doing native BCD, staying in base-10 rather than going base-10 input -> base-2 for calculation -> base-10 output?

I guess I was imagining alternative or exotic number systems. One alternative but common number system example is coin-exchange, where each coin is in fixed fraction with another coin, and they can be combined to make any number (roman numerals are another example of these, where VII is 7 and not 511). These systems aren't generally practical for multiplication, and they aren't one-to-one with integer (roman numerals specifically have ordering and subtraction rules to make it so VII is the valid representation, and not IVI or IIV, but coins are orderless), so my guess is there hasn't been an IC like this, specifically. But I bring it up as an example of what I was thinking: non-integer and non-float number systems.

Maybe look into British business computing prior to the decimal changeover? e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C2%A3sd#Computing

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I loaned a PA-RISC system to a friend in college and he never returned it... I'm still slightly salty about that.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

eschaton posted:

Of course people actually wrote plenty of games for minis, but outside those created in academia few were sufficient to make people want to access them from home—they were just office diversions.

With a few exceptions, such as Adventure/Zork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

UHD posted:

I was surprised to see that the embedded cpu in my model 3 is an intel atom

whether that is a positive or negative probably depends on your opinion of tesla but in either case they are a pretty high profile customer

having owned and used intel atom systems, this is a major negative.

hobbesmaster posted:

They’re very common. Arstechnica recently reviewed the android automotive based infotainment system in a GMC Yukon which runs on a Gordon Peak atom. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/01/android-automotive-goes-mainstream-a-review-of-gms-new-infotainment-system/

Intel’s collateral since Gordon peak isn’t on ark: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/solution-briefs/intel-sb-gordon-peak-v4-13132-3.pdf

edit: I suspect this will render many in this thread speechless:

Doesn't surprise me in the least, all infotainment systems are garbage (or become garbage after a year).

Takes a long fuckin' time for my VW to boot up when you get in. It's an electric car! Just keep the computer on, jesus!