Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Fantastic thread idea. I collected and played with a few different varieties of non-x86 hardware in the mid-to-late 2000's.

I had:
  • SGI O2's of the R5k and R10k variety, an SGI Octane, and an Origin 300
  • a Sun Ultra tower that I believe was either an UltraSPARC II or III, and
  • a PowerMac G5 I picked up after the Intel switch just for the novelty of PowerPC.

At the time the G5 was still widely supported so it was a great daily driver. I played a lot of WoW on it. I occasionally keep my eye out for G5's on Marketplace just in case I get that itch again.

All I have left is a single SGI O2 whose plastic shell is so brittle, I dare not try to move it. The SGI community has fractured a lot in recent years so I haven't done a lot with it since. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Has anyone worked with the old MIPS RM5200-series Cobalt RaQ appliances? Those were neat little web and email servers in the late 90's to early 2000's. Sadly they seem to occupy the middle ground between being common enough to still be on eBay but rare enough to be expensive.