Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ascenium-reinvent-the-cpu Ascenium Wants to Reinvent the CPU - And Kill Instruction Sets Altogether

It's not a Mill rebrand, but some of this sounds pretty nonsensical to me?

quote:

And with deep pipelines and the specialized hardware registers and stages which make up a modern CPU's processing, Ascenium estimates that around 50% of instructions are related to the movement of data through the pipeline - instructions and moves which take up both processing time and power budget.
Naturally, if one could create an architecture that reduces the need to shuffle data around, it'd find itself with a relevant power efficiency advantage.

I get a kick out of showing more software oriented folks register renaming, but someone doing this since 2005 ought to have heard of it. But "data through the pipeline" isn't quite even that. Or it's a slightly different point on the Cell curve, you've got a zillion simple FPGA slices that can be configured a few ways based on workload.

Anyway, ISA's are a thing of the past, good riddance, now throw your code into the magical parallelism machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Harik posted:

TI MSP430: seemingly operates on unicorn farts, not electricity

I designed something with a MSP430, it had a capacitive sensor.

The factory reported that they would put the device into the test jig, turn the power on, and the software would report PASS before they got anywhere near the capacitive sensor. The eventual root cause was the UART lines TX/RX were providing enough juice for the chip to boot and limp through the cap sense procedure. When it got a real power supply the numbers got big enough that the SW recorded the PASS because it saw enough swing on the pads.

The ISA was understandably limited. I had a few bit-shifts, but the ISA didn't have anything variable so they just had a function that was 10 of them they'd jump into at the appropriate point. Switch statements got boiled down to a jump table. An intern wrote something like (I%40) and saw it executing orders of magnitude slower because it was spending the vast majority of time doing that division.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

movax posted:

I hate MSP430s. Used them in space applications (at the time, it was the 'lol FRAM is invincible logic') and ran into the same issues as above, but due to I2C. No built in CAN controller also sucked. FRAM is destructive reads, so IIRC, at least the FR5969 had a stupidly large amount of die area spent on capacitance to help not corrupt itself upon power loss.
One of our vendors had a reference implementation with a really skinny ARM, pulled up the data sheet and its lowest possible current in any sleep mode was an order of magnitude over the MSP's idle current. The "investigation" took hours.

What's the smallest thing with an integrated CAN? M3 or better? When I was jobless and kinda hungry for work I asked a robot startup I'd talked with, they were having CAN gremlins and really needed that specific expertise. It sounds like a ridiculous bus, swings that would zap most stuff are the norm.

PCjr sidecar posted:

"The magic compiler will save us", but now with LLVM.

Anyone had luck with any of the HLL->FPGA tools? I have not been impressed.
Clash with the silly l? Having spent a big chunk of my career FPGA-adjacent, they're quite good at some applications but the amount of magic ascribed to them is incredible.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
the real commitment to x86 was when they sold off marvell and the x-scale ARM that was doing quite well at the time

you can talk about dedicating resources to the high end, and I distinctly recall Otellini talking up "if they sell 100 smartphones, we sold a $600 server core to the backend" explanation for why getting eaten alive from below was fine and dandy, but that was the big bet in my recollection

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
idk there's a more interesting question right next door, why didn't _intel_ make a successful phone chip. And they did! Had a best-in-class offering a while back. Then in 2006 they sold off the entire XScale division to Marvell. Way up at the c-level, it was a bet on "x86" in an abstract sense over continuing to build ARM cores in house.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

phongn posted:

The variable length instructions of x86 make decoding more complicated than the fixed-length instructions seen on ARM. As BobHoward noted, x86 decoders are more of a bottleneck and this is one reason why.
ILD is not a big problem. like the theoretical worst case is a bubble or two and there's a tradeoff with some fast path logic. but it's really not That Bad like everyone acts.

phongn posted:

Unfortunately x86-64 was built to be easy to port x86 compilers over to, and so kept some of the old ugliness like variable length instructions, made relatively few named registers, etc. aarch64 instead went with a cleaner slate when they rethought ARM.
right, right, it was a total mistake for x86-64 to not burn it all down and start from a totally fresh ISA.

how's itanium doing anyway??

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

phongn posted:

And yet M1 has gone wider than any x86-64 microarchitecture, and without much trouble feeding that extra-wide design?
genuinely struggling to find the point here? there's a zillion tradeoffs when you zoom that far out to include multiple clusters (or, as you're doing, the entire SoC) and im questioning the business side of AMD trotting out something wholly incompatible with existing software and tooling.

did I miss something and intel was selling fully integrated consumer electronics with the ability to pivot parts of the stack internally for free? oops! my mistake there, AMD would've been selling fully-integrated devices at a time they weren't even making their own chipsets. every way I try to approach this is fantastical

phongn posted:

AMD made the right decision given the market at the time, which was to make it easy for everyone to port over existing IA32 compilers. It also meant they brought in a lot of old cruft that could've been perhaps rethought. My surely obvious point was that perhaps a more aggressive ISA design could've been done, given the example of ARMv8's change from ARMv7.

Why bring IA64 into this except as a strawman?
its a perfectly cromulent point, as has been explained. you proposed a massive ISA change, I described the results of a better-positioned company trying to do exactly that and faceplanting. I feel like I've had this argument before with someone better informed who actually knew the opcode collisions between the two.

phongn posted:

As I said, I am not arguing for a radical change like IA64, but wondering if something more than the "bolt on 64-bit to IA32" could be done, too. There is a continuum between those options. And sure, lots of ARMv8 processors are running in aarch32 mode. If anything that demonstrates that performant backwards compatibility with legacy code could be maintained while migrating to a nicer future?
hahaha c'mon are you doing fixed-length decode or not?? this is acting like you can do both trivially instead of sharing those resources, either I'm selling a really lovely 64-bit chip with dead transistors leaking power or I'm not running 32-bit programs. neither would have sold well!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
In my experience they only let HW folks design FSM's up to a certain point of complexity then they slap a 486/M3 in there and punt it all to software.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

feedmegin posted:

Or even a Cortex-M0. Those things are like 1mm square these days, cheap as chips and you can do a lot with 16k of sram or whatever.
(Source: did the software side of this two jobs ago, writing, yes, a fairly complicated FSM sitting on an FPGA to orchestrate some hardware)

Yeah, cheaper all around. Rather than a senior RTL person and reams of testing, I can slap a team together with junior HW/SW folks and curse software gremlins when it runs over.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I'm reminded of the MIPS ISA protection where there was like... a barrel shifter instruction that was the only patented one? I'm sorta fuzzy on the details so Bob feel free to jump in here, I thought it was some Loongson ancestor where they stole the R3000 and re-implemented it apart from the shifter.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

BobHoward posted:

What matters is putting together a team of talented and experienced design engineers who can make a high quality, low power, and fast implementation of any ISA. The experience part of that takes iteration (AKA practice), same as anywhere else in the world.

I always think about the kind of folks who can tie specific CPU architecture features to things like how many layers the PCB needs. Sure you can distribute that decision into a team or 5, but.. I've met individual people who could do that kind of thing no sweat.

In college we had an assignment that was optimizing a core, deciding where to spend transistors. 4 way 8 set iCache or spend those on the BTB. Apparently enough students complained about it that the prof took 10 minutes to explain why "design an ISA" is a bad assignment. Nobody gets to do that professionally (without decades of experience like Shippy), it's awful to grade, etc. etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
having spoken to GPU folks on that side of the divide, it's very much a cabal dedicated to knowledge that's never written down. just the same 1000 people bouncing around 4 companies