Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Russia announces plans to push homegrown RISC-V designs into the government and education spaces by 2025.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16827/russia-to-build-riscv-processors-for-laptops-8core-2-ghz-12nm-2025

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Reading the wiki page for the i960 led me to the Am 29000, which I'd never heard of.

Long story short, it was AMD's flavor of Berkeley RISC, and lived long enough to grow into a superscalar design. The last iteration had some of its functional units swiped for use in the K5 architecture, which is off-topic for this thread.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

carry on then posted:

z systems have some wild capabilities. Parallel Sysplex, firmware-level hypervisor (to enable LPARs), hardware zip compression.

LPARs well predate the Z series. I believe they were introduced all the way back with System/370, but they were definitely available on ES/9000 systems under MVS. That's where I started my career. Also available at that time: hot-swappable CPUs.

A decade later when I started working for Google I recognized their datacenter design (arbitrarily large collections of "ordinary" machines, any of which are allowed to fail at any time) as the inverse of IBM big iron (singular machines capable of terrific throughput, which are not allowed to fail under any circumstance).

Edit: if you never worked with true mainframes, the scale of what they were capable of is kinda hard to realize. In 1998, when your "average" PC had just graduated to 8MB of system RAM, I was using IBM Hiperspaces at work. This was a technique that let you read 2GB chunks of data from mass storage, and shove all those records through your batch processing flow, completely in-memory, before writing them back out to storage after processing.

mdxi fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 3, 2022

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

eschaton posted:

I emulated a little 68000 VME board, the Xycom XVME-600

I can't believe someone was implrmenting FORTH, in hardware, on a board made of socketed ICs, incluiding a 68k, in 1989.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o38C-ultvw

Tom Scott visits the Parkes Radio Telescope, which, it turns out, is still steered by PDP-11s. (This is mostly a telescope video, with only very brief mention and footage of the PDP racks.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Rescue Toaster posted:

Are there any non-chinese companies leaning into RISC-V other than SiFive?

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/tenstorrent-shares-roadmap-of-ultra-high-performance-risc-v-cpus-and-ai-accelerators