Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Does anybody have recs for computer architecture, ideally for micros but possibly for other stuff (hopefully not x86) textbooks that are good and a useful read? Ideally more focused on the implications of the architecture on code that runs on the device. Have some coworkers that would get a lot out of one. Unfortunately I picked up what I know out of practical experience and accumulated debugging and so on so I don’t really know what a good one would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Awesome, thank you both!

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Mofabio posted:

I have a question. Does anyone know of any electronic computers that stored and processed number in ways not integer or float? I don't mean software systems, like the complicated ways CAS's store and calculate number, or ASCII digits, I mean like pre- or non-IEEE 754.

Does this count? http://www.6502.org/users/dieter/bcd2/bcd2_6.htm Or like a 1s-complement system?