Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

:siren: Content warning for discussion of physical and emotional child abuse.

VIDEO: Fragment 30 | Satoshi Houjou

BGM: Silence
SFX: Night Higurashi

She's fond of going there.

That mountain is covered in [sic] with trees, vines, and fallen logs, and she really likes the area.

Any child would dream of having a secret base. ...And to Satoko, her secret base is the whole mountain.

As her brother, I'm a little concerned that she spends so much time on it, but maybe I should worry more about myself getting lost since I rarely come here.

The mountain gets dark quickly when evening falls.

If I still can't find her, I should look for her somewhere else.

I'm yelling as loud as I can, but in the woods, my voice doesn't carry that well.

According to Rika-chan, she has been making her secret base in this area. She goes up there alone to expand it.

What does she mean by 'expand it'...?

If it's a secret base, she must not want anyone to find it.

Does that mean she's set up some traps......?

...Considering that, I should have noticed the traps on the mountain before one got me.

"W-Waaaaaah!!!"

Suddenly my foot sunk into the ground and snagged on something like a jumprope tied beneath dried leaves.

I heard some noise from up above, and then a big ball made of branches fell right next to me.

...It had to be one of the playful traps Satoko loved.

If I wasn't so lucky, I'm sure the ball would have hit my head.

"Satoko...!! No! This kind of horseplay is dangerous...!"
"Did you not see the sign put up by the forestry service? It clearly states it's dangerous to come into these woods.”
”My wonderful traps will welcome anyone who ignores that warning. Oh ho ho ho!!"

As her brother, I should stop her from doing things like this. But when I see her brilliant smile, I can't say anything else. I haven't seen that smile in some time.

"By the way, Satoko, weren't you told to come home by evening, since we're going out for dinner tonight?"
"...I don't want to go. Why don't our mother and father go by themselves? If you want to, you can go with them, Nii-nii."
"...Are you still angry at Father?"

BGM: Bellflower

"...No, that happened with our previous father. Our current one hasn't done that."
"He locked me out on the veranda. He didn't feed me lunch. He complained I got him the wrong brand of cigarettes, then he slapped my face saying I shouldn't be a picky eater! And then...!!"

...She isn't talking about our current stepfather.

Things about all of our different stepfathers have mixed themselves up in her head.

...The word "father" isn't a word that should be taken lightly.

If you don't truly acknowledge a man as your father, how can you call him that? That's how much weight it carries.

However, just to make things smooth and peaceful, I used the word "father" even if I didn't want to.

But it was too difficult for Satoko, young as she was, to do the same.

Ever since Satoko was very little, she's been having troubles with all our stepfathers. She's never opened up to our current one.

To Satoko, a father figure is no longer someone she can trust.

It's true that our current stepfather doesn't have any experience being a parent.

So he sometimes gets rather upset with her.

Even my mother realized how much Satoko has suffered emotionally when it was pointed out by the social worker. She's doing her part in trying to bring Satoko back into the family.

...But Satoko completely refuses to even try. ......It's understandable though. Her childhood has been filled with misery...

Satoko can only open up to me.

That's why I have to be the one and only family member she can trust... otherwise, she'll be all alone in this world.

But a brother and a sister alone can't be considered a family.

Even if we don't get along now... if we continue to communicate, even in a small way... we may be able to become a real family someday.

"...That's news to me."
"That's because every time he tries to say something, you run away. He wants to talk to you. He says he won't make you eat pumpkin anymore..."
"...That's a lie. He said I couldn't leave until I ate my pumpkin, and he tied me to the chair."

Again, she isn't talking about our current stepfather.

"Satoko, just come home with me, okay? Mother got a free dinner coupon, and we don't want it to go to waste, do we? We already have the reservation, so we have to go today."
".........Why don't you go, Nii-nii? I prefer staying home alone."

Satoko usually doesn't stay out playing this late.

She knows we're going out, and that's why she's out here alone.

Although I want to snap at Satoko, I controlled myself.

Because she only has me. I can't scare her.

"...Nii-nii... I've brought you here so many times already, and yet you still haven't learned?”

Satoko holds out her hand.

She often says she's embarrassed to hold my hand in front of people, but she's holding out her hand right now.

I took that hand.

Satoko's fragile hand. I have to protect her, as her big brother.

"......Sure."

limeicebreakers fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

VIDEO: Fragment 2 | H170

SFX: Higurashi

It wouldn't make any difference to me if the experiment failed.

However, Irie's extraordinary focus and attention to the experiment has avoided Satoko Houjou hallucinating or turning into a vegetable during the experiment ...and surprisingly, we see prospects of her returning to normal life despite reaching L5.

C103 still has many issues, but this experiment proved that even a person who has reached L5 can be cured.

I didn't believe in it at first, but I guess I have to acknowledge Irie's hard work.

Only Irie could have done this.

He was tormented by naive humanism and didn't want to make mistakes, and that is why he felt obligated to cure Satoko Houjou.

The reason why I dislike Irie isn't because of his achievements or abilities, but because of that weakness...

But this time, I had to praise him for it.

"It's hardly an exaggeration to say that Satoko is now our most valuable specimen. After all, she's the first human to reach L5 and live."
"...That's true. We'll let her go back to her life and keep our eyes on her. I'm going to tell her to come here every Sunday for a check up."
"But how are you going to explain to her that she has to give herself a C103 shot three times a day, and also that she has to come here every Sunday? She has no subjective symptoms."
"I'm still trying to come up with a good excuse... I think I'll tell her that I want her to help me with my research. She has to give herself shots daily and to come here every Sunday for a check up. I'll pay her for helping me. Or something like that."

...He seems determined to keep her off the dissection table.

He and I are in different positions, but I don't have any complaints about his naive ideals so long as they translate directly into passion for our research.

If his plans can be put into effect and produce a different result than the dissection would, then they'll still be useful to the overall understanding of the Hinamizawa Syndrome.

I have nothing against Satoko Houjou.

It's only that I see her as a research specimen.

If she can be useful in that capacity without being dissected, that's perfectly fine with me.

“I hope they agree to her involvement in such suspicious research..."
"Oh, don't worry. I'm sure they'll be happy to, once they realize they'll receive 100,000 to 200,000 yen every month for it."

Around 1000 to 2000 USD.

"Do we have enough money?"
"Sure. As long as we can produce documents that'll convince Jirou-san."
"Okay, then I'll work on that. Also, we'll need to take action to prevent stressing Satoko-chan. We don't want her to return to L5. ...I hear her aunt and uncle are very mercenary. Perhaps we can handle them with cash. I plan to provide my help with their guidance too."

I never thought that'd affect us in any way. But now, Irie has to deal with them.

Maybe he's developed some kind of sense of responsibility or duty as her guardian.

I don't really care. The more responsible he feels, the more progress our research makes. That'll be a plus for me.

"Oh, compared to your success, it's nothing. But I guess it was some kind of accomplishment."
"...It's honestly ironic. This same research center that's produced the remedy to save her from derangement has developed a dangerous drug that could instantly induce it."

Irie wasn't involved in the H170 research.

That was my work. In fact, even if I asked him, he wouldn't have agreed to be involved.

BGM: Gallery of Madness (Kiyouki he no Kairou)
SFX: Silence

To put it bluntly, injecting H170 into a patient with Hinamizawa Syndrome forced them to express terminal symptoms.

It threw the brain into a simulated state of agitation, intentionally forcing the pathogen to grow unstable.

If we continue researching this, it will be possible to drive anyone with Hinamizawa Syndrome violently insane at any time.

Studying the mechanism behind that will help to solve the syndrome's mysteries. So this study on H170 will be extremely important to future research.

Also, this medicine has military applications, as the client requested.

At this point, there's absolutely no use for it. But once our research progresses a bit further, this H170 could be spread at the right moment to cause a certain type of reaction.

Compared to a killer virus, it seems like a useless pathogen. But there's no way to detect it in a dead body, and it makes it look as though the person just went insane spontaneously, so it must have some useful applications.

A historically important incident like that couldn't have been created by a killer virus.

But it's possible with Hinamizawa Syndrome.

The elders of the Alphabet Project, the sponsor for our research, can think whatever they want about that.

I don't care how they use what I've learned.

My purpose is to solve the mysteries of Hinamizawa Syndrome and to make people realize how important this research is.

Also, to make people acknowledge my grandfather's accomplishments and achievements.

...Any military applications were just byproducts of the process that I didn't care about.

"Hee hee. Passion alone can't keep research going. We need money."
"...We must thank the sponsor for giving us so much funding... ...For this much money to come from public expenses, maybe Japan is richer than I thought."
"They're public expenses, but they're expenses that can't be made public. Hee hee..."

Irie has no idea what I had to go through to get that money.

We don't know what we'll find out about Hinamizawa Syndrome, but I'm sure every mystery will eventually be solved. I can hardly wait.

What the syndrome indicates is that humans are simply empty containers, and what we believe to be our will is simply the actions of parasites that live in our brains.

If that mystery was solved... it would have a greater impact than anything else in history.
That is a truth which nobody wants to believe.

This is an achievement my grandfather predicted back during his time.

Ah, I know now.

I know the reason why my grandfather was so fascinated by his work.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

VIDEO: Fragment 13 | An accident at the Shirakawa park

BGM: Ancient Times (Inishie)

This experimental medicine suppresses the production of a certain type of hormone and, in doing so, it will stop the transmission of the syndrome triggering Satoko-chan's condition.

The mechanism of Hinamizawa Syndrome is as follows: the pathogen takes over the frontal lobe of the patient's brain, and then induces increased responsiveness to paranoia. As a result, a patient voluntarily carries out excessively defensive behaviors, to a problematic extent.

If this induction can be cut off, then it'll be possible to save terminal patients from becoming deranged.

But it only cuts off an induction, so it's not really a cure.

Once the brain has learned to be excessively paranoid due to the Hinamizawa Syndrome, even after the pathogen is eliminated, the brain doesn't simply unlearn that paranoia.

In short, even if the pathogen doesn't induce derangment, the patient will be directed to such emotions of their own volition.

...Thus, it is impossible to completely escape the nearly-deranged L5 state.

(The proverb, "a burnt child dreads the fire," is a good example of this. Even after the burn on your tongue heals, the fear of being burned by food again remains. When it ends up being a good thing, we call it "learning a lesson", and we call it "trauma" when it doesn't.)

We predict Satoko-chan's treatment will take a significantly long time requiring both medication, such as administering psychotropics, and mental care, like counseling.

We have to slowly unravel her mind's solidified paranoia while also suppressing the syndrome's induction of derangement.

...This is the treatment plan for terminal patients like Satoko-chan.

However, as we are going to stimulate the parts of her brain that affect her emotions while they are being stimulated by the pathogen at the same time, it's possible there could be unexpected side effects. Both her mental and physical strength hold the key to our success.

We were going to begin the experiment once she regains her emotional stability and physical strength, but…

...Ooishi, the sly old detective from the Okinomiya police department.

He thinks everything, from the dam protests to the dismemberment murder of the construction manager, is an organized effort secretly conducted by the Three Families of the village.

He even thinks the accident involving Satoko-chan's parents wasn't an accident. That's why he keeps coming back so he can talk to Satoko-chan.

“I'm being considerate of Houjou-san, and that's why I haven't gotten a warrant."
"What are you trying to ask her anyway? I don't really understand."
"...Hmm, well, actually... It's possible that the fall was not an accident."
"I know the Houjou couple were hated by the whole village after the business with the dam. But who would actually follow them on their trip and push them off? Don't you think that's absurd?"
"Hmmmmm. Well, we could call it an accident. But if that was the case, there are some things which just don't make sense. Why lie? With those lies, I don't think it was an accident."
"What lies?"

Satoko-chan claims she was asleep in the back seat when the accident took place.

So she didn't get out of the car at the viewing platform.

When she woke up, she didn't see her parents. Then she found out they had fallen off the cliff.

"Where is the lie, exactly? You aren't saying Satoko-chan wasn't really asleep and she went over to the viewing platform with her parents, are you?"
"That's right. Satoko Houjou-san was never asleep. She got out of the car with her parents and went to the viewing platform."

If what Ooishi says is true, and Satoko-chan is saying she didn't go to the viewing platform even though she actually did... It's terrible to even imagine.

"Why are you saying such a thing? Besides, why would Satoko-chan lie?"
"That's just it. Why would Satoko Houjou-san lie? That's why I need to talk to her. ...Otherwise, this won't end as just a simple accident."
"Why are you convinced that Satoko-chan is lying?"
"This accident took place in a different jurisdiction. The guys from the Shirakawa station conducted the interviews with the parties involved. There are things that bother me in their report."
"Bother you... Like what?"

“She became concerned because her parents hadn't come back, and started to cry. One of the park workers on patrol noticed her crying and talked to her, and that's how the accident was discovered.”
“And at that time, guess what? According to the park worker's testimony, she was the one who first said her parents had fallen off the cliff. But, you see, it's hard to see the accident site in question from where the car was parked. If you look very carefully, you might be able to notice the broken fence.”
“But still, you know... I think it's odd to say your parents had fallen off a cliff just because you didn't see them when you woke up. Normally, most people would say something like their parents went for a walk and didn't come back. It just doesn't make sense to me that she told a stranger that her parents had fallen off a cliff without even being at the site of the accident!”
“I want to ask her why she was so certain that her parents had fallen off a cliff. That's why I keep coming back here. I asked her many times before she was admitted here, but all she said was that she doesn't remember or that she was confused at the time. Sounds like a politician, huh? That's why I think it's worth taking that time to talk to her."

BGM: Single (Hitoe)

I'd assumed that her parents' accident triggered her terminal symptoms.

...But no.

Satoko-chan had already gone terminal, and just before the accident, her heart was filled with paranoia that drove her mad.

She was also being scolded by her mother for not being able to get along with him.

...If that made her paranoid, made her think her parents considered her to be a bother and were going to kill her...

Then a tragedy took place, and she pushed her parents off instead, although she considered it to have been self-defense.

I'm certain of that because I know Hinamizawa Syndrome better than anybody.

This accident isn't an accident.

...It isn't a crime either, like Ooishi is thinking.

It is simply a tragedy.

When I talked to Satoshi-kun about the family, I was even more convinced.

He told me even though Satoko-chan refused to open up to her stepfather, he had tried to communicate with her.

Satoko-chan caused trouble repeatedly, and even called the city's child abuse hotline.

At that point, they recieved guidance from the child consultation center, and they pointed out that the problem lay in lack of communication between daughter and stepfather.

So the stepfather took a parenting course under the social worker's guidance, and awkward though it was, he made efforts to communicate with her.

Satoshi-kun noticed his efforts, so he tried to talk to Satoko-chan about it.

The excessive stress she was under triggered terminal symptoms...... and she couldn't understand her stepfather's remorse.

...On the contrary, her stepfather's change created even more mistrust within her.

As a result... they went to enjoy the beautiful view of the Shirakawa Nature Park as a family and to share in that joy... Yet that humble, ordinary family's wish... couldn't even get through to Satoko-chan.

Satoko-chan stayed in the car telling her parents that she wanted to sleep, but then she got out and snuck up behind them.

I bet he heard her footsteps.

He pretended not to notice her, thinking that she was doing that to surprise him.

...It's sad just thinking about what must have ran through his mind.

While he thought he had finally gotten through to her, she was actually approaching him with the intent to kill.

But that's not Satoko-chan's true nature.

It's the disease.

Satoko-chan isn't the only one who is to be pitied. Her parents are its victims, too.

Judgment and punishment are required for crimes with a malicious intent.

But what she really needs is understanding and sympathy.

And no one has that understanding. Except for me, because I know about Hinamizawa Syndrome.

But I'm going to do so for the first time since taking the position.

I'm not doing it as the head of the Irie Institute, the secret research organization.

I'm doing it as a doctor, so I can protect Satoko-chan.

"It's about the Houjou family's accident at the Shirakawa Nature Park... Do you think you can ask Okonogi-san from the Mountain Dogs to make it out to be an accident?"

“We have to put an end to it quickly, otherwise the police will end up getting closer to finding out about our research."
"...That's right. Please make especially sure Ooishi-san is drawn away from this case. We're at a delicate stage of the drug administration test. She doesn't need any more unnecessary stress."
"You're absolutely right. I'll let the Mountain Dogs know. I've heard they even have connections within the police, so I'll give the order to put pressure on them, too. I'm sure the accident in Shirakawa will be concluded as exactly that within a few days."

Only if it really was one, it would have eased Satoko-chan's soul...

Getting rid of the pathogen can't heal that wounded soul.

Nor can it erase the tragedy that already taken place.

All I can do is my best, so the day she regains her smile comes sooner.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

"When it ends up being a good thing, we call it "learning a lesson", and we call it "trauma" when it doesn't." Ryukishi has a lot of feelings about this stuff and he's not going to mince words about it. Knowing this is informed by his own social work experience really makes it hit different.

The only thing about this that doesn't really work for me is how on earth an eight-year-old manages to push two grown adults off a cliff, but, well, you just gotta look past it. The situation might be fantastical, but the interpersonal forces are all too real.

(OP, when this is all over, do you have any interest in covering SotsuGou? I think it was TheMcD who faithfully summarised the Danganronpa 3 anime for the benefit of the forum audience. That was fun, in an unhinged way. I like SotsuGou as an extension of Higurashi, but it definitely has its flaws. Many, many flaws.)

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Not even sure if entirely 'fantastical'. Satoko's already demonstrated being able to effectively lift a school chair and use it as a club when she's having a meltdown, and she's good at catching people off guard. Probably looking at 'mom lifts car off of trapped child' response when under a full L5 mental break.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

mycelia posted:

"When it ends up being a good thing, we call it "learning a lesson", and we call it "trauma" when it doesn't." Ryukishi has a lot of feelings about this stuff and he's not going to mince words about it. Knowing this is informed by his own social work experience really makes it hit different.

The only thing about this that doesn't really work for me is how on earth an eight-year-old manages to push two grown adults off a cliff, but, well, you just gotta look past it. The situation might be fantastical, but the interpersonal forces are all too real.

(OP, when this is all over, do you have any interest in covering SotsuGou? I think it was TheMcD who faithfully summarised the Danganronpa 3 anime for the benefit of the forum audience. That was fun, in an unhinged way. I like SotsuGou as an extension of Higurashi, but it definitely has its flaws. Many, many flaws.)

Ryukishi really hits the nail on the head. There are similar statements in Umineko that hit like a truck

I've kind of come around on Sotsu/Gou in some aspects, but I still have a lot of caveats with it

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Takano's musings and judgment about Irie are ironic in a way. She cares about making her grandfather's research come to fruition and doesn't give one wit about Irie's soft-hearted nature. However, the military higher ups don't care what she thinks and only seek fruitful research and potential weapons. (And Irie just wants to prove that humans can be fixed if treated and doesn't think deeply about the problematic the things Takano is doing)

Ooishi is also pretty single-minded in his quest for the truth and justice. He doesn't care about the mental state of the kids and is responsible for pushing a lot of them over the brink.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

mycelia posted:

I enjoyed that LP a lot! I can't say the thought of doing so has never crossed my mind, but there's several factors stopping me from giving any sort of definitive answer. One, I haven't actually watched GouSotsu yet (though I am privy to the basic plot beats) and I'm unsure if summarizing it will be worth it unless I either frame it as a blind watchthrough with y'all or watch the whole thing first and come to a decision. Two, I've been toying for some time with the idea of covering some of the more well-accepted arcs by the collective fandom after finishing Matsuribayashi - in which case I'd have to determine which ones to cover (GouSotsu included in the list of potentials) as well as how much time I'd like to commit to doing this. This leads into point three: I'm a notorious flake and am unsure if I'll even do whatever I decide to commit to! My update schedule was incredibly inconsistent during my last year in school - I've graduated now but am still in the process of finding a stable job. Future is uncertain, yadda yadda.

tl;dr Maybe, maybe not. Thinking about it, but mostly focusing on the present for now.

limeicebreakers fucked around with this message at 09:54 on May 17, 2023

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Gou/Sotsu is abjectly terrible. There is an element that could have been good and I like it in concept as an extension to some Higurashi characters and connections to Umineko but it really is just dreadful. The structure is painfully terrible, it squanders all potentially interesting plot points and reads like awful fanfiction written by someone with only a basic understanding of both Higurashi and Umineko.

There is a manga version, Meguri, that is working to reverse some of the bad aspects of the plot and tie up plotholes but it didn't reverse the worst aspect of it all: The terrible structure.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 12:10 on May 17, 2023

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

VIDEO: Fragment 40 | Rika Furude

BGM: Two, Alone (Futari. Hitori.)

Satoko said she was going there too, so we decided to go together.

After exchanging our shopping lists, it became easy to guess what the other family would be having for dinner.

Satoko's family is having grilled fish and cooked vegetables.

We're having Salisbury steak.

“I don't mind the grilled fish, but it's the vegetables I'm less fond of. I'm certain there's still plenty of pumpkin left from the other day."
"......Then I bet you'll be getting a lot tonight. Poor, poor Satoko☆."
"I don't appreciate knowing that pumpkin is going to show up on the dinner table... Haahh..."
"......Meep~☆. You don't like pumpkin, no matter how it shows up."
"R-Rika, you have some food you're not fond of, don't you? That's right, you don't like daifuku, cream puffs, or anything sweet, don't you!"
"......It's not that I don't like those things. I just choose not to eat them. If I wanted to, I could eat sweets forever. I could even eat pumpkin pie too. Nipah~☆."
"Oooh, it's not fair that you aren't a picky eater!!"

Satoko is my best friend.

I usually don't like grocery shopping, but if I'm with Satoko, I can make it into an enjoyable evening stroll.

The grocery store is busy this time of day.

All the housewives in Hinamizawa gather here to shop.

Since Satoko and I have different things to buy, we decide to do our shopping separately.

"......Nipah~☆. I'm a good girl who can go shopping by herself."
"Wow, you really are a good girl! Here, I'll give you this."

There were several candies for the owner's occasional asthma attack inside a sieve full of change hanging in the front.

He picked out a sweet from there and gave it to me.

It was my favorite flavor, strawberry milk.

I put it in my pocket so I can brag about it to Satoko later.

I get a lot of fun out of teasing Satoko and making her jealous.

She always overreacts, so I never get bored when I'm with her.

"What are you having for dinner tonight, Rika-chama? Ground pork... hmmm..."
"...We're making Salisbury steak. We're going to put flower-shaped fried eggs on top and draw pictures on them with ketchup."
"Oh ho ho ho! That sounds like fun!"

I enjoyed that conversation while filling my shopping basket.

They're talking about something that's a little harsh.

......They're talking about Satoko.

"How long do those village traitors plan to stay here?"
"They should just leave."
"They don't even have the guts to go shopping themselves and make their daughter do it instead." The women went on and on...

Ever since the Houjou family and the Sonozaki family got into a huge fight at the explanatory meeting for the dam project, the Houjou family has been ostracized within the village.

At first, there were a significant number of families in favor of leaving like the Houjous.

But the main branch of the Sonozakis led a push to completely solidify the village's opinion, and as that tone of unified resistance grew stronger, the pro-evacuation families steadily grew quiet.

The Sonozaki family made the Houjou family into an example, to ensure there would be no more pro-evacuation supporters.

The ancestors of the villagers have lived here for generations, and the villagers also know that they themselves will be buried in this village, so this harassment put a lot of pressure on them.

Who was it that agreed to make the Houjou family the leader of the pro-evacuation group at the explanatory meeting?

Those same people no longer said anything, and they even joined in on harassing the Houjou family.

The harassment they faced then became pressure from the entire village.

The Houjou family is hardly wealthy, and they haven't paid the town council fees in a long time.

When things were peaceful, nobody said anything about it, but now that the wind was blowing a different way, the Houjou family was asked to pay off all of their late council fees immediately.

It wasn't an amount they couldn't afford, but the Houjous recognized a fight was being picked with them, and they responded to it.

And so, the Houjou family quit the town council.

...But that only played right into the village's evil plan.

For example, the place the Houjous dumped their trash was a provisional dumping site established by the town council and the waste management department.

Under the council agreement, only council members could use it.

Ever since the day the Houjou family quit the village council...

Their trash bags were returned to their front door.

Furthermore, all the bags were torn.

It said "Private road, no trespassing. Only council members permitted."

A stubborn old man stood and guarded the road, saying that he would not let any of the Houjou family members pass through.

...A private road is private property opened up to the public, so it looks just like a normal road.

However, as private property, the owner can forbid anyone else to pass through whenever they like.

More and more... ...The village piled on vicious harassment.

The fear of antagonism spread through the entire village and people became afraid that if they supported the Houjou family, they'd go through the same thing. ...This has made the Houjou family even more isolated.

...The grownups haven't told their kids about what's going on, so Satoko isn't harassed in any way at school. But it wasn't hard to imagine she probably spent her days feeling so anxious she could hardly breathe.

Even the women whispering in here aren't saying anything directly to Satoko.

But it's not like she doesn't notice their muttering and the cold stares.

...When did this village become so cold towards her? ...As her best friend, it's very sad for me.

When I say hello or buy things, I usually get treats or a discount. But that doesn't happen to Satoko.

On the contrary, she's served last on purpose, and sometimes shop owners even pretend they don't hear her. Obviously, people don't want to have anything to do with her.

...Satoko had been weaving through the housewives crowding the shop, telling the fishmonger what she wanted, but she kept getting ignored.

...She's decided to keep her smile and pretend she doesn't mind... but I know.

It was far too painful for her to endure...

Maybe her finger got stuck on something when she was trying to put the change back into her wallet.

I ran through the crowd to help her pick them up.

......But as I did, I noticed something.

Satoko dropped a lot of coins, and is struggling to pick all of them up, but nobody is helping her.

It's not just that... it's almost like they're acting like they don't even see her there.

Satoko isn't expecting anyone to help her, since she's the one who dropped them.

......But... but... there are so many people around and not even one is trying to aid her...

"Ah... ah... I'm okay, Rika..."

That reaction is all I need to tell how hurt she is.

Furthermore, when I started to help Satoko, other housewives started to pick up the coins too.

As if it's the natural thing to do.

...So they can only help if a shrine maiden of the Furude family does?

If I didn't help, they would have disregarded her completely.

And the fact that other people helped only because I did hurts Satoko even more.

I grabbed the coins from the housewives without thanking them. ...I'd rather spit at them than do that.

If she didn't thank them, people would talk about that too.

Satoko forced out her words of gratitude.

The housewives looked down at her with blank expressions.

...I can't stand this.

...I can't stand what Satoko is going through right now...

"...If we're done, let's go, Satoko."
"S-Sure..."

I grabbed Satoko's arm and pulled her away.

What has Satoko done?

Reality is just too cruel.

Everyone loves me.

But can I share that love with Satoko?

...Satoko must be wondering why people treat me so differently.

...I shouldn't come shopping with her... or rather, I should have done her shopping instead.

"......Satoko."

"......I feel bad that you dropped your coins. So here's something that'll make you happy."

I wanted to at least ease her pain a little bit... ...so I pulled out the strawberry milk candy I just received.

But... Satoko refused to take it.

My hand froze.

...She saw.

She saw me getting this candy...

"...That person wanted you to eat it. ...So if I did, it'd be rude..."

...I... I only wanted to ease her pain. But I ended up rubbing salt in her wound.

How can I call myself her best friend?

If I could, I would have crushed the candy right there.

limeicebreakers fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 31, 2023

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Nephthys posted:

Gou/Sotsu is abjectly terrible. There is an element that could have been good and I like it in concept as an extension to some Higurashi characters and connections to Umineko but it really is just dreadful. The structure is painfully terrible, it squanders all potentially interesting plot points and reads like awful fanfiction written by someone with only a basic understanding of both Higurashi and Umineko.

There is a manga version, Meguri, that is working to reverse some of the bad aspects of the plot and tie up plotholes but it didn't reverse the worst aspect of it all: The terrible structure.

I mean, I can't argue with any of that, I just like it regardless :v: the few moments of brightness are enough for me to regard it fondly even though while I was watching it as it came out, I was as annoyed as anyone.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

VIDEO: Fragment 27 | Depression of a Shinto priest

SFX: Crickets

Normally, a shrine should be a calm and quiet place, but there are anti-dam signs everywhere, making it very obvious what this location has become.

Although this meeting place is on the Furude family's property, it's a community facility, so it closes at nine PM.

Of course, sometimes a discussion gets so heated that it goes on past closing time, but meetings are supposed to end by nine.

If a discussion ends early, they usually chitchat until that time. That's what usually happens.

Of course, they mostly talk about the dam even when they chitchat.

They talk about someone's mistreatment at the government office, or someone getting arrested unjustly, or complain that people at the dam construction site are too violent.

Since it's idle chatter, the topics are slightly emotional, and because of that, there was a good deal of badmouthing the Houjous.

"That woman is crazy. Just the other day, she got into a huge argument with Makino-san's grandmother at the trash pickup!"
"You know, the husband is rude too! He's so irrational!!"
"Ah, did you see him at the explanatory meeting? That was bad, huh? I can't believe they're still here. I wish they'd just leave!! He said something about money. He has absolutely no shame!!!"
"No, no, no!! If you talk about being irrational, his wife is the same or even worse!!! Wahahahahahaha!!"
"It must be hereditary!! I see their daughter shopping quite often, so I used to say hello to her, but she never replied. Can you believe that? So I got tired of it and I don't say anything to her anymore."
"Hey, their son always looks sooooo depressed, doesn't he? Hahahahahaha!"

...If he had known how powerful the Three Families were, especially the Sonozaki family...

And if he had known Oryou-san's character, he wouldn't have said the things he did.

The Houjou couple are residents here.

Though they were never very enthusiastic about the council activities, they should've known what kind of person Oryou-san is.

He could have imagined just what would happen to him if he talked to her that way.

Yet, he let his anger take over and voiced his unpleasant feelings.

So most people think the Houjou family brought their isolation upon themselves.

If they wanted to negotiate with the government regarding the move, they should have done so privately.

Yet he was foolish enough to express himself at a public gathering like that.

So not too many sympathize with the Houjou family.

...That caused the other pro-dam families to go quiet, fearing they'd be made into scapegoats too, and those who wanted to leave were bitterly forced to give up.

...Even those people started criticizing the Houjou couple, saying they could've gotten their compensation to leave if the two hadn't picked that reckless fight.

Both the anti-dam and pro-dam people hate the Houjous now, and the family has become even more isolated.

Moreover, the Houjous are both very aggressive. They should have stayed quiet at least until things settled down, but they didn't. That alienated the handful of people who took pity on them as well, so now nobody even says anything to them.

All of that was immediately obvious by listening to the foul talk here and there at the gathering place.

BGM: Conviction

One of the Houjou family members they're bad-mouthing is Rika's friend, Satoko-chan.

It hurts to think about what Rika feels while hearing that.

As priest of the Furude Shrine, should I let this continue?

Oyashiro-sama is a god who makes peace between enemies.

When the humans and demons fought, Oyashiro-sama descended from heaven and mediated between both sides.

As the caretaker of this shrine, I must do something before it goes too far.

I'm sitting next Oryou-san, who is spitefully disparaging the Houjou family.

The elderly people cheer her on as they listen to her speak.

......If I barge in now, I have a feeling it won't be a peaceful conversation.

But I have to make up my mind.

As the priest of the Furude Shrine.

Also for the sake of Rika's friend, Satoko-chan.

"Huh? What the hell are you trying to tell me?"
"Well, I'm sure Houjou-san really didn't mean what he said. Isn't it a bit much for this kind of treatment to go on for so long...?"
"SHUT UP!!! You heard what he said, didn't you? Weren't you pissed? He pissed me off!! poo poo, poo poo!!!"

Oryou-san is the head of the Sonozaki family.

The heir to the demons. She never forgives anyone who stands against her.

So there's no way she would even listen to what I'm trying to say.

Oryou-san and the others became furious and refused to listen to me.

I also mentioned that the dam construction plan will be cancelled soon, so they should calm down already.

I said that because the staff at the Irie Clinic told me that the government is putting some kind of pressure on the Ministry of Construction.

But thinking that I'm being an opportunist, soon criticism of me began to circulate the room.

...If the demons are willing to listen, then there's a chance to make peace.

But how can I make peace with people who refuse to listen?

I destroyed their mood... so I just have to give up and shut my mouth.

Then I felt a little hand on my back.

Rika looked into the distance while she spoke.

"...The evil of this corrupted village is probably beyond the means of those of us living in that muck... But... I won't lose hope. ...Surely... someone who will destroy this stagnation will arrive. Very soon... I know..."

Her eyes shone as if seeing a future that only the maiden of the Furude Shrine could see.

limeicebreakers fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 31, 2023

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

How do you think Oryou would react if Rika used her adult voice to tell her to shut the gently caress up right back

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
The quiet Furude child suddenly stepping in front of Oryou? She'd probably blink once or twice, ever so politely remind her to stay in her lane, then run right over her. The Furudes roles are ceremonial after all, it's the Sonozakis that actually run the place.

killer_robot fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 19, 2023

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I like to imagine Rika tried it at least once. Just to see what would happen.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

VIDEO: Fragment 11 | Distrust of the mother of a queen

It's not flu season, nor a season for any type of contagious disease.

...I could only think of the suspicious experiments Rika has gone through. Maybe the fever is being caused by those.

Her growth is rather slow compared to other children her age.

Receiving mysterious shots and going through experiments every week, I'm sure her body is exhausted.

I've asked the staff to go easy on her, but Rika herself is fearless and is willing to go through anything.

My husband, who should be admonishing her for that, truly believes their story that it's crucial to the lives of over 2,000 villagers, and takes our own daughter to that clinic every week.

I'm the only one who's sincerely worried about her health.

That's why I want to ask Dr. Irie to be a little more considerate towards Rika.

Anyway, I have to talk to them about taking responsibility for this.

Right after I called, a staff member came to pick Rika up to admit her to the clinic.

As her guardian, I came with them.

“She cares about her friend, so she's doing what she can for the sick girl..."
"I understand... There's no way our research would affect Rika-san negatively. Besides, we're being extremely careful so that something like that won't happen."
"Then explain this high fever!!!"
"It's probably due to the change in seasons, and..."
"How could this be a simple cold?! This is because of the weird shot you gave her!!"

Dr. Irie only told me to calm down and refused to accept responsibility.

Their existence has been suspicious from the beginning.

They're conducting their research in secret, using a privacy policy as an excuse.

...That was shady enough on its own. It's just impossible.

In fact, I called the Ministry of Health, and was told that wasn't true at all. Even after I told them I'm Rika Furude's mother.

The clinic even came up with stupid excuses, saying normal workers often don't know of a special institute like theirs.

That doesn't make sense at all. It's much, much too suspicious.

Also, there are people who don't appear to be researchers working at the institute.

They look like security guards, but they seem so different from normal guards at a normal hospital.

In fact, one time I accidentally saw that they were armed with guns.

"Are they policemen? I don't think so!! Who are you all, anyway? I refuse to believe you're from the Ministry of Health!!"

Dr. Irie seems taken aback by my intensity, and can't even answer properly.

They're still hiding a lot more from us.

That tells me the research they're working on with Rika isn't anything proper.

"Anyway, I'm Rika's guardian! Rika is still a child. It doesn't matter what she says. I won't let her participate in this research anymore!"

"Ah, well. ...Rika-chan's mother says she won't let Rika-chan participate in the research any longer..."
"......Why is that?"
"Because she's not your guinea pig!!"

I'm a little startled.

...Dr. Irie is a weak person who backs down under pressure.

Takano-san is different... I'm yelling at her, but she's not afraid at all.

On the contrary, she's glaring daggers, and looks as if she's about to jump on me.

“I don't mean to be rude, but considering you walk around while holding Rika-chan's hands without disinfecting yours with alcohol first, we are far more sanitary."
"......We're not talking about that!! Anyhow, Rika isn't your toy!! She'll never come back here again!!"
"You can't decide that by yourself. You and your husband both signed the statement of consent, didn't you? We have been depositing money that's by no means a small amount into your account every single month for her cooperation in the research."
"What? I know nothing about any money! I've never even heard of that before!!"

Rika receiving money for participating in their research really is news to me.

Knowing my husband's character, he wouldn't have used it as spending money behind my back.

I bet he thought of it as a free service for the villagers, and completely forgot about the money being deposited into our account.

...There haven't been any strange deposits in the regular account, so it may be in our savings...

Anyway, I don't care about that!

"If you want to breach our contract, we'll have to ask you to return the full amount of deposits we have made up until this point. Also, if one party is at fault for the breach of contract--"

“For that reason, we need to have Rika-san continue to participate."
"Then tell me, when are you going to find a cure? It doesn't make sense!! At first, you said this was for Rika's friend, Satoko-chan, but Satoko-chan has been released from the clinic and is now carrying on happily. You even told my husband two weeks ago that you've found a cure already, didn't you?"
"Y-Yes. I think I told him something like that... But, you see, to solve the mysteries of the syndrome..."
"You didn't mention anything about solving mysteries at the beginning!! Rika was to participate to find a cure for the villagers. So now her job is done!! All the research and experiments you're performing on Rika have nothing to do with the cure. You're doing them out of your own self-interest. Aren't I right?!"
"That's not true, it really isn't...! Anyway, this matter of Rika-san's cold is just a misunderstanding. If you still don't trust us, then..."

Because of their exaggerated story, Rika and my husband took their side, but it won't work on me.

Anyhow, I must settle things with them right away because Rika isn't their toy.

I especially don't trust that woman called Takano.

Dr. Irie seems to me like he's still a doctor, but she doesn't.

...How can I describe her?

...I guess I can say the glow in her eyes is just unpleasant...

She only sees Rika as a guinea pig. I can feel cruelty emitting from her.

Neither my husband nor Rika have noticed that.

I must protect her. As a mother, I must protect Rika!

- - -

Did something happen to put her in a bad mood, Irie wondered.

The heated conversation she just had didn't involve the Takano he knew.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

VIDEO: Fragment 23 | Jirou Tomitake

BGM: Iru
SFX: Rain

We decided to wait at an abandoned bus stop for the rain clouds to clear.

"Oh, don't be, Jirou-san. I knew it would pour, so don't worry about it. Hee hee hee."

Takano-san giggled.

Although she said the weather might change suddenly, I dragged her out here.

...I feel stupid for making her come along and ending up ruining her precious day off.

I have to go back to Tokyo tonight, so it'll be a while before I can return to Hinamizawa.

I didn't want to spend my last day at a cheap hotel in Okinomiya, so I asked her to go for a stroll.

"It's just... hahaha... I'm really sorry."
"Hee hee hee hee."

She teased me for a while, but only a little.

She wasn't actually enjoying driving me into a corner.

That's just her way of communicating, and I find it very charming.

But on her part, I'm just an auditor from Tokyo.

...That's why she's being nice to me, and it's definitely not because she likes me personally.

......So I feel like I might have used my position to drag her out here, and that makes me a little depressed.

I probably should think this slight fever I have is due to nothing more than a cold.

But she was the type of person who made it clear when she disliked something.

...She wouldn't say so directly, but she would use all kinds of indirect expressions that meant the same thing.

...So I want to believe she's out here because she might be even a little bit attracted to me.

I shook my head as I frowned upon my selfish thoughts.

She chuckled as though she knew what I was thinking.

I felt myself starting to go red after that.

"A weirdo? No way! You're fascinating, Takano-san! Actually, I feel bad making you spend a day with someone like me!"
"Of course, I've decided to devote my life to my work, but... Life is too dry with only that. I need to switch gears once in awhile. Besides, communicating with the opposite sex is good for the brain. Hee hee."
"Ahahahahaha... It's all good if I managed to help you clear your head..."
"Don't you feel refreshed just being with me...?"

She gives me an impish smile that makes my heart skip a beat.

I tried hiding my embarrassment so she wouldn't notice even my ears going red.

“S-So, next time, I'll bring my old camera. It's really expensive to buy a new one, you know? Ha ha ha."
"Thank you. I would love to learn about the avian photography that you're so intrigued by. I'm looking forward to joining you on a stroll next time you go. So I don't need to buy a camera, do I?"
"N-N-No! Try with my old camera first, and if you enjoy it, then you can buy one for yourself. I'll send it to you when I get back to Tokyo!"
"Thank you. Then I'll have you critique my photos when you come next time."
"S-Sure! Hahaha, I can hardly wait to see them!"
"Hee hee. They'd be nothing compared to yours. It'd be my very first time doing it, you know."

While she keeps her cool and smiles, all I can do is blush and scratch my head.

...Am I being conceited?

I can't help but think that Takano-san likes being with me.

...If it's mere flattery, I don't think she'd come along this far.

......Oh, no, no, no.

Taking women's flattery seriously is the mistake I always make.

I shouldn't assume that she's attracted to me.

"Ah, yeah, you're right. Usually, the director or some other research staff is around."
"I don't know anything about you. I don't know exactly what you do in Tokyo, or what you've done in the past. I wonder what you do in the Self Defense Force?"
"Aha, ahahahaha... I was an instructor for a while. But I hurt my eye when I was injured. I can live life normally, but they made a big deal out of it, and ever since, all I do is desk work. Ahahaha..."

Takano-san giggles, saying I must have done something silly to cause the injury.

"And when I helped PR with their magazine, I became fascinated by photography! Cameras have the power to make people happy.”
”Ahahahaha, I bet you don't know what I'm talking about, but it's true! Since I started to take pictures, my life has been a lot happier."
"......How can a camera make someone happy?"

“And as you search, you realize your everyday life is actually filled with happiness. For example, a dandelion sprouting from the crack of the asphalt is just a weed in a busy life, but when you look at it through the viewfinder, it's a gift to let you know that spring is approaching. You capture it and put it in an album and every time you open the album you remember the happy feeling you had when you took the picture."
"So you always feel that way when you take your pictures?"
"Sure. I don't have ambitions of taking artistic photos or capturing a dramatic, prize-winning moment. That's not important to me. I want those moments we don't notice, and helping us recognize those little moments of happiness is the greatest thing about cameras to me. So I'm really glad to be able to see Hinamizawa through my viewfinder."
"............Hmm..."

I have a tendency to go overboard when I talk, but most of the time, Takano-san playfully twists my words right back at me.

So it's very unusual for her to listen to me like this.

I don't know how much of an impression I made, but I think she is indeed interested in cameras.

I was expecting her to tease me like usual, so I'm happy to see that this is her reaction.

"Do you want to try?"
"...Do you think I can?"
"It's easy!! First, you just need to learn how to focus and press the shutter. Why don't you hold it? Oh, don't ever touch the lens though."
"Whew, this isn't easy. ...Hee hee."

But unfortunately, the rain doesn't seem to want to stop.

But she was still having fun, and kept taking pictures inside the bus stop.

So the first set of pictures she ever took were of odd things in that dark little building.

Since then, every time we'd meet, we ended up walking around the village with our cameras in our hands.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

VIDEO: Fragment 10 | At a quarry in Yagouchi

BGM: Depressive Paranoia

If something happens to the queen carrier, the village will collapse.

In his article, my grandfather called it the most dangerous situation.

According to my grandfather, if the queen carrier dies, all the infected persons will go terminal within 48 hours.

This may sound unbelievable at first, but research on the collapse of past local religions and group suicides around the world should indicate that there's some truth to it.

Among all the mysterious incidents around the world, there are some that were caused by parasites controlling entire communities, very similar to Hinamizawa Syndrome.

Grandfather picked a few cases that are very similar to the syndrome and investigated them.

As a result, he confirmed multiple cases of entire communities losing their minds after the death of a religious leader or founder, and finally annihilating themselves.

He stated that, on average, it happened within 48 hours.

Our statistics already proved that on weeks Rika felt sick and visited the clinic, we saw an exceptionally high number of visitors.

Rika being sick with a simple cold had a massive impact. If something particularly bad happened to her, we'd be facing a serious situation within 48 hours.

That's why the Irie Institute has to protect Rika Furude, the queen carrier. It's the most important mission of the Hinamizawa Syndrome research project.

She's already agreed to help us in our research, but we have to be very careful not to put her in any danger. Also, we have to protect her from anyone who would try to harm her. Her life is equal to the lives of two thousand villagers.

But... what if something happens to her by accident?

The Irie Institute must prepare for that situation.

It's a precaution in case the queen carrier dies, or if infected people show acute symptoms due to the death of the queen carrier.

This is an emergency procedure which must be followed within 48 hours of the mass occurrence of the acute symptoms.

......The final measure is to prevent the damage from spreading to nearby areas.

My client, the Alphabet Project, took the responsibility of working out the details of the plan.

They are used to dealing with things like nuclear and biological weapons, so they ended up being such a big help.

There's no way I could have come up with a plan on my own to execute two thousand villagers.

It's to be the secret storage base for the equipment we'd use in that operation.

Equipment that sprays deadly gas that kills people as if they were falling asleep is stored here. In the case of an emergency, a special unit of the Ground SDF is to use this equipment to destroy the village.

However, preparing for the execution of the villagers itself is politically dangerous.

So, if I'm going to insist on them getting the equipment ready, I have to make them understand how dangerous Hinamizawa Syndrome is, and also how urgent the need is to have a contingency plan.

I have to prove the need for the plan by showing them enough data.

So the files my grandfather kept intact come in quite handy.

When the clients read my grandfather's articles about the syndrome, they were surprised to see how catastrophic things could be in the worst-case scenario.

"Yes. There have been several cases similar to Hinamizawa Syndrome where group suicides took place. In the case of the syndrome, we can easily expect extreme defensive behavior which results from deep paranoia. The result may affect all two thousand plus carriers. From there on, we may face abnormal situations involving lawless violence and bizarre religious despondence.”
”We must be ready to face such a situation by having a contingency plan, otherwise we'll draw attention from the rest of the world. We have to remember that we only have 48 hours to respond once it happens."
"...Are you saying that if it happens there's nothing anyone can do?"
"Can't you treat everyone within 48 hours?"
"That'll be impossible. We don't even have a cure, and the research center isn't capable of taking in all the villagers."
"...How frightening to realize such a disease actually exists. The world is full of mysteries."
"Constant vigilance against worst-case scenarios supports our national defense, and is one of the ideas behind the Alphabet Project. Besides, our goal is not to use the plan, but it's vital to be prepared."
"Indeed. Precisely as you say. I'd still like to look into strengthing the rules of approval authority behind applying the plan, but I understand the necessity to prepare our response for a worst-case scenario."
"Let's have the urban suppression research team run a simulation of the Hinamizawa suppression operation in the region. I think we should get it going as soon as possible. It's possible that the queen carrier girl may be hit by a car and be killed at any moment. Thank you, Major Takano. We have further questions, so you can sit down."

It took me almost all day to explain it to them, but it only took a short time to come to a decision.

Nobody criticized, ridiculed, or tried to reject my grandfather's articles out of hand.

But they aren't ridiculing the articles. They are reading what was once rejected.

It's nothing big, at a glance, but in this moment, my grandfather's research is being recognized for the first time.

My heart is filled with satisfaction to see people discussing amongst each other while pointing to my grandfather's files and raising them as proof.

...I've worked so hard for this day.

limeicebreakers fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 31, 2023

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Is it ever explained what happens if Rika just dies of old age? I guess her queen carrier ability would eventually pass on to her successor?

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yes. Rika's unique birth order of being .. what was it? the third daughter of the third daughter? Something like that.. turned her into the queen.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
IIRC, the Furude children are always special queen carriers, but the eighth daughter in a line of daughters is also Oyashiro-sama's incarnation

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

:siren: Content warning for mention of suicide.

VIDEO: Fragment 19 | A routine inspection

BGM: Shadow (Kage)

"Wonderful, absolutely wonderful!! To be honest with you, I wasn't expecting too much from this Hinamizawa Syndrome research. I figured that even if there was progress, it would be three steps forward and two steps back every decade."
"Oh my! How impressive it is to achieve so much in such a short period of time! This is all thanks to you, Director Irie!!"

"That's true! Not many doctors as young as you have nearly as much experience operating on brains."

"I'm honored we gave you something good to take back with you, Tomitake-san. By the way, could you please stop calling me Lieutenant Colonel? I just can't get used to it... I almost prefer 'Risa-san' at this point."
"Ah ha ha ha! I bet you do, huh?"

二佐, or lieutenant colonel, is pronounced ‘nisa’. The joke here is that nisa sounds like Risa/Lisa, a girl’s name being used in Japan (And other parts of the world, of course) at the time.

"Hee hee. You sure were a huge help. You're the one who secured funding for our research, even when we couldn't produce feasible results. We couldn't have done this without you."
"It wasn't any trouble... ha ha ha ha...! But really, the results you've presented today are just brilliant! Not only have you found the cause of the syndrome, you've also provided a clear path towards future research. We're looking forward to hearing more progress when we come again next time.”

"Hee hee. After all, we nearly lost our budget for the canned coffee we provided to you all, didn't we?"
"""Bwaaa ha ha ha ha ha!!!"""
"Tomitake-kun, make sure you report our progress to Tokyo well enough that they give us enough funding to hold a party!"
"We've been getting nothing but the stick, it's time for the carrot!"
"Hahahaha, we'll be happiest if that carrot comes back in the shape of funding."
"""Waa ha ha ha ha ha!!!"""

Irie was surrounded and being questioned by National Institute of Infectious Diseases workers who had joined the auditors.

“I can't really say this out loud, but all the progress I've seen tonight is thanks to your hard work."

Jirou-san and I are the only ones here who know that strings were pulled in order to create the Irie Institute.

...So only Jirou-san can understand what I had to go through.

"But I've only just risen to the stage for my research. My opponent and I are finally in the same arena, that's all. The critical fight comes after this. And it should be getting even more exciting in the future."
"Aha ha ha. By the way, Manager Nakagawa told me to tell you that he wants you to hold a presentation in Tokyo. Even the Alphabet board wants you to come meet with them. I guess they all want to hear this directly from you."
"Oh my, isn't having you explain enough?"
"Nah, ah ha ha ha! I-I don't think that's what they mean...! I-I bet they want to meet such a pretty researcher in person, maybe, ah ha ha ha...!"
"My my, aren't you being silly, Jirou-san? Hee hee hee."

BGM: Two, Alone (Futari. Hitori.)

"Heeey, how are you doing?"
"K-Koizumi-sensei!! Thank you for taking time to call me..."
"Wa ha ha ha! You know, I heard you made a significant breakthrough, Miyo-chan, so I had to call to congratulate you!"
"Thank you very much!! Yes, thanks to your support, we've been able to accomplish the first step of identifying the microbe that causes Hinamizawa Syndrome."
"Mmm-hmm, I see, I see!! Great job, Miyo-chan! I'm sure Takano-kun is very happy in Heaven right now!!"
"That's a little too early to say. My grandfather was attempting to go beyond merely identifying the cause of the syndrome. His work was about showing the possibility of human thoughts actually being controlled by parasitic agents in our bodies. ...Only when that is proven will his research be recognized for the great achievement it is.”
”Hee hee. When we're able to explain all thoughts and religions with parasites, heehee, the world is going to be tossed into chaos."

I won't die until you show that to me, Miyo-chan."
"Please don't say that. Do look forward to it, though. I'll make sure that this research will spread shock throughout the world. Then the whole world will finally realize how great my grandfather was, and they'll be fighting each other to read over the documents he left behind. Only then can I say that I've repaid my debt to him."
"...I'm a little envious of Takano-kun~. I don't want money, you know. I don't mind getting rid of half of what I have. I just wish I had a grandchild who would carry on my legacy."
"Thank you so much. Those words mean so much to me."

“However, they told me they're having a difficult time importing it, so it may take a little while. But when it comes, please have a party with the people who helped you."
"Celebratory wine? Well then, I wonder what expensive sort of drink Koizumi-sensei'll be sending us!"
"Oh, it's not that kind of expensive. Don't you remember, Miyo-chan? Takano-kun used to keep a particular bottle of wine."

That's right. My grandfather kept a certain bottle of wine.

I don't know if he bought it himself or if someone gave it to him, but he treasured it, and he always said he'd open it when his research finally gained recognition.

I was a child then, so I don't even remember what brand it was, but Mr. Koizumi would know.

He went through all the trouble to find the same bottle of wine for this special occasion.

...For the first time in a while, Takano felt the same sunny warmth she experienced during her time with her grandfather.

"Hmmmm. I like it when you call me that, Miyo-chan!! I don't feel like you're speaking to me when you say 'Koizumi-sensei'. Wa ha ha ha!!"

I can't help but smile along with him...

Because I think Tomitake and Irie were just having a similar exchange.

"If you like it that way, then I'll be happy to call you that when there's nobody around. Hee hee."
"Hmm, I'll be happier if you'd call me that even in front of people! Wa ha ha ha."

I don't know exactly how old he is. But if he can laugh so energetically, he'll live for many more years to come.

...I guess the saying about living a long life is true after all.

But because he was so into his research, he became estranged from his wife. They were legally married, but they lived separately.

I never met his family when I was a child. I only met them... after my grandfather committed suicide.

During his latter years, my grandfather went into psychological despair, and began to look at his life with cynicism.

His condition became worse over time, and he was shocked at his own dementia. He was afraid of living while his consciousness degraded.

So... he jumped off the rooftop of the hospital.

Only my name was in his suicide note.

None of his family members' names were in it.

That's when all his relatives showed up and took everything my grandfather left behind.

They were afraid I was going to get his estate.

They had lawyers and all that, so I backed down.

Those idiots don't understand the value of my grandfather's research.

They were actually happy to strike a deal out of court, and they could also get rid of the piles of papers and jars with human organs in them.

They never even showed up once when he was alive, yet, like hyenas, they appeared after his death. I'd never let them put their hands all over my grandfather's research.

Fortunately, I was able to protect my grandfather's soul from their tainted hands.

"Thank you, Uncle Koizumi. I'll work even harder!!"

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

VIDEO: Fragment 7 | The third sacrifice

:siren: Content warning for mention of vivisection/dissection.

BGM: Utu

Rika's father suddenly changed his mind about having her help out with the research.

When Rika came down with a high fever the other day, her mother, who wasn't happy about her daughter helping in the first place, finally blew up...

...I was hoping the father would convince her somehow...

But now, he seems to be on her side.

Rika's father didn't get emotional like her mother, but he demanded that we make our research plans for Rika clear, and that we finish our research within three months at most, which was completely unrealistic.

We cultivate results by grinding down our knowledge, skills, and time.

To take time away from us is like taking away what's vital to live.

How could he say such a thing? Curses, curses, curses, curses...

Rika's parents are only saying that because they don't know anything about scientific research. However, as they are the parents of the queen carrier, we are completely lost about what to do.

Tests and experiments on the queen carrier are an essential part of our research into Hinamizawa Syndrome.

Her existence is the focal point of our work. To lose her would be like losing your sense of direction out in open water.

Rika is providing her cooperation with our research, but the withdrawl her guardian's consent could be a setback.

...The situation is extremely dire.

Rika's parents are only interested in finding a cure...... but to me, the cure is only a small part of solving the mystery.

I can't let her go. Are our differences causing this predicament?

......And it's not only them. The same is happening between Irie and me.

......That's understandable. From the beginning, Irie never had the determination to solve the mysteries of Hinamizawa Syndrome.

He won't back down from the research assertively, but he will passively by agreeing with Rika's parents.

Is that the attitude of a researcher who's trying to unravel mysteries?

He's the type of man who would step on my grandfather's research with his dirty feet...!

He is nothing but a coward who's in this half-heartedly. He started to feel guilty over his past the moment he saw blood.

He isn't qualified to even be involved in researching Hinamizawa Syndrome.

He is simply an outsider who joined in because of the client's demands.

If I were a man, he wouldn't be here in the first place.

While it's true he produced wonderful results with his development of a cure... he seems to think it's alright to close up shop with that.

Is he planning to waste everything by being satisfied with just that tiny result?

...That man doesn't have any right to discard my grandfather's research... I can feel my guts boiling.

The one to blame here is that woman, Rika's mother.

If she wasn't so selfish, this wouldn't have happened...

Maybe it's partly my fault.

I maintained trust through relationships and obligations all this time.

But somehow, Rika's mother and I didn't get along, so I didn't try to socialize with her.

I thought it was fine because I got along with Rika and her father.

But now, the mother has influenced the father and changed his decision.

Irie is saying we should talk to the office in Tokyo about what to do next.

But I know once the Tokyo office finds out about this, they'll order us to shut the research down.

I've worked so hard to even get things started.

If they hear anything negative, they'll put a stop to it.

I've come too far to complete my grandfather's research... I can't let it be stopped!

...I need to calm down and analyze this carefully.

I've always come up with a great plan when I drink my favorite tea and bite my nails like this.

There were times where I couldn't find a solution, but someone else came up with a simple one.

I've been able to overcome everything that's been thrown at me.

I even endured the hell at that orphanage.

...So I will never let that woman get in the way!

...Settle your thoughts down.

Think about this clearly.

Be calm, Miyo Takano.

Someone else may come up with a better idea.

But who?

It's not me. It can't be Irie.

Of course, nobody from the village will do.

Do I talk to someone in Tokyo? No, I can't.

I don't want to owe anyone a favor.

Even Koizumi-sensei would be disgusted if he finds out I can't solve such a simple matter by myself.

There's someone I can talk to nearby.

They are supposed to be my subordinates, after all, so it's worth the try.

The Mountain Dogs are my subordinates, but they're part of the Self Defense Force, and I'm just a researcher.

So we never really had a chance to interact.

He did what he was supposed to, and I did what I was supposed to. So, I never even thought of discussing anything with him.

But the Mountain Dogs are there to protect and support our research. Why didn't I think of talking to him before?

BGM: Gallery of Madness (Kiyouki he no Kairou)

He used to speak standard Japanese, but now, he has the Hinamizawa accent.

I guess "fitting in" to the region is the first thing they need to do.

"We may lose the queen carrier, and not only that, but her mother might end up exposing our secrets. Can you do something about it?"

...I asked Okonogi rather directly.

...I'm not really expecting an answer. But...

"...'Take care of it'?"
"We'll make sure the police won't get involved. We need a little time to prep, but it won't be difficult."

I'm startled.

......Rika's mother is my enemy, but I was thinking about how I could convince her...

......But the leader of the Mountain Dogs, the counterintelligence unit whose duty is to protect this secret research, came up with a much simpler plan.

"Do you mean... to kill her?"
"To preserve the secret, I was told to do whatever is necessary. Of course, we won't do anything until we get an order."

Right... This is a very simple problem to him.

Rika's mother has started to interfere with our research. Not only that, there's a chance she might talk to people about the Institute, so they will eliminate her.

"......Ah, that sounds like a good idea... Can you do a good job of it?"
"That's why we're here. This will be our biggest job since the kidnapping of the Minister's grandson."

The Mountain Dogs are the ones who kidnapped the grandson of the Minister of Construction, and used that to blackmail him.

It has been a few years, so I completely forgot about that. They did such a marvelous job then.

That's right, that's right, that's right. I have the Mountain Dogs on my side!

"...Can you get on with it right away?"
"We could easily kill her, even tonight. But that'd create too much of a fuss. We'll make it look like she disappeared. So give us a little time to make some arrangements."

Up until now, I'd been wracking my brain trying to figure out how to make her my ally, or at least make her surrender, or pacify her.

Yet... one order to this man, and the problem's easily solved!

I feel like a bird taking its first flight.

Ahh, how easily I can get rid of that annoying mother. All I have to do is to give an order.

I feel grateful to Koizumi-sensei for giving me such terrific subordinates.

What a wonderful power he has given me.

I was taught that all people are equal.

But if I have the power to control people's lives, then that means I'm more important than they are...

...What a feeling it is to be above others.

"Eh? Ah... well... wait a minute..."

...I can feel chills all over my body.

If possible, maybe I should have her father disappear, too.

Rika is willing to help.

She has no other relatives in the Furude family.

If both parents die, she has to depend on someone.

The Irie Institute can support her.

We can give her status, money, and protection. We can give her everything.

By doing so, maybe it's possible to make her one of us, rather than just having her as a helper.

Everything I was just concerned about seems like a joke now.

...I had such powerful subordinates all this time, yet I never realized.

All of my tension is being released, and I'm starting to feel relaxed. I can feel myself regaining my cool head.

I'm going to get rid of them. Rika's parents, that is.

The queen carrier is my guinea pig.

A guinea pig doesn't need parents.

SFX: Shrine Bells

If they die on that day, people will call it the curse of Oyashiro-sama.

...The murder case from two years ago and the accident from last year are two separate incidents. Yet, because they happened on the day of Watanagashi, they're being called 'the curse of Oyashiro-sama'.

Then, if her parents' deaths occur on this year's Watanagashi, it'll be Oyashiro-sama's curse three years in a row.

The miracle of Oyashiro-sama. Also, the curse. I'm going to create them.

This is a chance for me to ascend to godhood and toy with human fate.

The incidents that occurred two years in a row are said to be a curse, but not everyone believes that.

However, if it happens three years in a row, then everyone has to believe.

Because that'll be a true curse that's created by me.

I'll become Oyashiro-sama.

My desire for revenge against God is coming together…

When I started to laugh, Okonogi grinned to show his interest.

"We're going to create the curse of Oyashiro-sama. ...Hee hee hee hee."

I can't just let her die.

She'll be demoned away, and I'm going to enjoy dissecting her alive.

Of course, I won't just have fun.

This will be extremely useful for our research. After all, she's the previous queen carrier...!

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Hee hee hee.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Something I really admire about Ryukishi's writing is that he doesn't shy away from exploring the motives and thought processes of his villains. When it's all put together like this, I think you can understand how Takano gets to this point, even if it's alien to your own thought processes--and that makes her all the more compelling as an antagonist.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

The first time I read the manga I thought everything with Takano was a bit...much. But I definitely get it now. Going from the elation Takano was feeling in the last update to this really drive her motivations home

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

:siren: Content warning for brief mention of child abuse.

VIDEO: Fragment 24 | The old guy

I don't know what to say.

I want to say something, but I can't think of the right words. I can only sigh.

"Be quiet! This is a place of rest."

As Kumagai barged into the room, the old coroner quickly snapped back at him.

"S... Sorry. Umm, the section manager asked me about the wanted poster for the suspect."
"...Ah... can you talk to Komiyama-kun about that? I need to speak to the coroner here. Could you tell him I'll be right over?"
"Eh... o-okay!!"

Kumagai ran out of the autopsy room with the same haste he entered in.

"The old man would've slapped him for making such a fuss."
"You probably should go back too. The air in here isn't for people who aren't used to it."
"You're right. If I slack off too long, I might get slapped as well."
"...Ha ha ha ha. Here in Shishibone, all the hoodlums crossed the street when you passed through, yet he's the only one, past or future, who's ever punched you for splitting your tsumo wrong..."
"He really was a merciless man... I think he punched me more than my real father."
"Doesn't matter if he was your real one or not. If you looked up to him in the same way, then he really was a father to you."
"............"

BGM: Soul Scour

...He was unlucky.

If he wasn't given the order to move to a plant in Nagoya, he wouldn't have died in an air raid.

...If he could have rode it out another half a year or so, then the war would have been over.

I was sad, of course, but I was grown up enough by then that I didn't cry into the ground like my mother did.

But... people feel sadness in different ways.

For some people, it comes all at once as an overwhelming wave, but others feel sadness gradually, over a long period of time. I think I was the latter.

When he was alive, I only thought of him as annoying. In my mind, I even cursed him with questions about why he avoided the draft.

And I thought my feelings towards him would always be the same.

As I saw families and friends being reunited with joy as they came home from the front, it finally happened.

I grieved for my father's death.

Japan was filled with people who were sad and full of despair.

I knew I wasn't the only one whose life ended up that way.

But... I remember I was very, very heartbroken.

After the war, the nation completely changed. As a policeman, the environment I worked in went through sudden changes too.

In order to forget my sorrow, the only thing I could do was devote myself to my work.

“There was a fairly big black market in Gogura, and a lot of people came from as far as Osaka to buy it."

After the war, Japan faced a chronic shortage in food supply.

To those ends, the nation instituted a food rationing program by signing the Food Control Act.

But the rations the government provided weren't even close to being enough to feed families. Therefore, people had no choice other than buying food and supplies on the black market.

The government hardly had enough food for rations, but there were somehow plenty on the black market.

The dealers there sold it at outrageous prices, and some of them became quite wealthy.

...The Sonozaki family made their money through that black market, but that's another story.

The government didn't bother arresting these dealers.

For, with their money, they were able to buy off the top members of the police department.

...Instead, they decided to go after the people buying the goods, and even confiscated the rice they bought by selling everything they owned.

"Yeah, there was. The prosecutor who vowed not to eat illegal rice starved to death... Wasn't it in 1947? That was horrible. He, a public prosecutor, proved it himself that people couldn't survive by adhering to the law."

The few sources that I can find of Yoshitada Yamaguchi say he was a district court judge, not a prosecutor.

That prosecutor had grown tired of the government charging people with doing whatever they could to survive. And he proclaimed that he was never going to buy black market rice again.

In 1947, he starved to death when he was only in his mid-thirties.

The law prohibited people from buying black market rice.

But that was the only way to survive.

In that case, was the Food Control Act a bad law itself?

The death of the prosecutor was seen as a desperate message to the government about the unjustness of that law.

“We inspected their bags and confiscated everything that they bought at the black market. The women all cried. They sold everything they owned to buy the rice. They pleaded that if we confiscated the rice, how would they feed their starving children?"
"Doesn't make sense, huh? Yet they forbade you from going after the sellers. So it was absolutely unfair from the view of the people."
"Everyone was on edge. If they heard a police inspection was set up at the next station, they'd jump off the train and run. We were aware of these people, so we set up several officers near jump-off spots in order to capture them. I remember chasing after women carrying several kilos of rice on them."

"Man... I was surprised. ...Remember my father? He looked exactly like him! I really thought that maybe my father had miraculously survived the air raid in Nagoya."

There was no way for him to run with a heavy bag of rice on him.

So either he'd get arrested with the illegal rice, or escape by ditching the rice that he bought by selling all of his belongings.

...In other words, if a person is being chased by the police, that person can't provide his family any rice to eat.

Of course, I felt guilty about that.

I knew people had to buy the rice to survive.

...So we had a tacit agreement to let those who ditched the rice and ran get away.

So I always thought the same thing as I chased them. Please throw it away.

I didn't want to catch him.

...Because I didn't want to hear him crying and pleading in distress.

He looked exactly like my dead father. I was dumbfounded.

Then, all of a sudden, he punched me in the head.

If a father disciplines you, as a child, you lower your head in apology.

I was so happy to see my father alive that I couldn't hold my joy in.

The old man said, "Let him go."

When I heard his voice, I realized he wasn't my father. So I thought I'd arrest him for assaulting a policeman.

But a young man, like me, who'd barely grown any hairs yet, was no match for an older man used to fighting.

“I kept seeing my father in him. All I could do was listen."
"Yeah, he was a ruffian, but he showed his guts, like a real man. That's what made him such a great guy. You don't see men like him nowadays. He was a true example of a man from the good old times."

Despite my age, I still needed a father.

I needed someone to look up to, and to show me what makes a man a man...

When I think about it...

I really did have two fathers.

The old man was a father, a brother, and my best friend.

He taught me how to be a man, how to enjoy alcohol, how to play mahjong, and with that right arm, he gave me a good beating when I did something wrong... But that right arm is still missing.

"Yeah, of course. ...I swear, I'll find the old man's right arm and pay them back for what they've done to him."

They're running Hinamizawa from the shadows, and inciting this collective crime they call the dam protests... The Sonozaki family.

I declare war within myself.

I already know who my enemy is.

limeicebreakers fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 30, 2023

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Oh. So that's why Ooishi is the way he is. Dang, Ryukishi's brilliant at humanizing these antagonists.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

mycelia posted:

Something I really admire about Ryukishi's writing is that he doesn't shy away from exploring the motives and thought processes of his villains. When it's all put together like this, I think you can understand how Takano gets to this point, even if it's alien to your own thought processes--and that makes her all the more compelling as an antagonist.

There's been some complaints by readers of Higurashi that Takano's villain reveal is too "late" in the story, which cheapens the impact of the reveal of her motivations. Personally, it's not a belief I subscribe to, because Ryukishi does such a good job fleshing them out in Matsuribayashi. As a mystery, the writer cannot reveal the culprit until near the end of the story unless the mystery is more focused on the means (such as Umineko), so he was structurally limited in that sense. Hell, her motivations aren't even important in the terms of the story - it's only really important to Takano as a character. I think that's something Ryukishi kept in mind as he wrote the final arc, almost treating her as a mini-mystery within the narrative to be solved as we read through the fragments.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

VIDEO: Fragment 22 | One, two, three, four

BGM: daily passing by

She might have discovered the joy of cameras, and I'm happy to gain a friend who shares the same hobby.

She frequently visited libraries and local archives to read through various documents and books, and when it comes to Hinamizawa, she's gained quite extensive knowledge of the local history.

It seemed she loved tales of violence, and that actually gave her a mysterious charm.

...On the other hand, I don't do well with grotesque things, so I can hardly say anything in response.

The stories of cruel ceremonies that she gets excited about... I don't really get them all that well.

However, with the way her eyes light up when she talks, I don't mind spending time with her even if I have to hear about cruel things.

"Sure, it's fun! It's thrilling to unravel a dark past that has been sealed away!! Don't you think so?"

Takano-san smiled in a way that almost made it sound like a dark past is something fun.

...But, of course, it isn't.

The dark history of Hinamizawa that she loves is something cruel and atrocious, like the witch hunts in the Middle Ages.

"Besides, they help me in researching Hinamizawa Syndrome. You don't have to always look through microscopes to research things. Sometimes, the traditions of this village that have spent so long with the parasite can teach us things that are far more valuable."
"That's true. ...Boy, you sure are passionate about this."

“That's probably the greatest entertainment available to humans, who can feel joy just from thinking. The first person to work on this, Dr. Takano, must have discovered something fascinating enough to make him devote his entire life to the researching of the syndrome too. ...I think I'm probably the only one who could understand his feelings. ...I suppose it would be too difficult for you, Jirou-san, since you're not a researcher. Hee hee hee."

She always seems so enthusiastic every time she talks about the late Dr. Takano, an independent researcher who was the first person to discover the existence of the syndrome.

There has to be something more there than just her admiration as a researcher.

...Come to think of it.

Dr. Takano's full name was Hifumi Takano (一二三 高野).

...Takano-san's full name is Miyo Takano (三四 鷹野).

Not only are their last names pronounced the same, but their first names follow a similar pattern.

...They must be connected somehow.

I don't know anything about Takano-san's personal history, but there's a good chance that her name is an alias.

So it's very possible she chose a name to reflect the researcher she admires.

"...What?"
"Well, the name of the researcher you look up to is 'Hifumi Takano', right? And your name is Miyo. In Japanese, it's like you're counting upwards. You're continuing the research he wasn't able to complete, so I thought maybe that's why you have that name."
".........Who told you that?"
"Eh? No, ahahahaha, I just thought of that now. I didn't hear it from anybody."
"Hee hee. ...You're correct. I'm surprised you figured it out, since you're so dense."
"I know you admire Dr. Takano and sometimes you've spoken as if you were his daughter or a granddaughter, who inherited his research legitimately. That's why I said that. Even authors, like Ranpo Edogawa, used their pen names as homages towards authors they admired as well. So I thought maybe the name you use is like your pen name, you know."
"No, that's not so. Miyo Takano is my real name. ...You write my family name differently, though."
"Eh? Then it really is the exact same family name as Dr. Takano? That's even more of a surprise! And Miyo is your real name too... Miyo Takano continuing Hifumi Takano's life's work... What a fateful coincidence!!"

"......What?!"

This is news to me.

I heard Takano-san discovered documents about the Hinamizawa Syndrome left by Dr. Takano after his death, and decided to continue his research.

I've never heard of them being related before.

"Someone told me it'd leave a bad impression if I asked for money to continue my grandfather's research that people may think I'm trying to pull funds for a family matter. That's why I changed one of the characters in my last name. So other than Uncle Koizumi, you're the first person I've told this to."
"......I... I see. ......I didn't know. So that's why you're so passionate about all this."

I understand very clearly now.

She really did inherit the work her grandfather was unable to complete.

“Looking through the old stories of a village that has been living with the syndrome for hundreds of years can be far more valuable than looking through microscopes that magnify things hundreds of times. My grandfather taught me that."
"...I see. I'm sure your grandfather is happy that you're finishing the work he couldn't. I bet he's really proud of you."
"Hee hee hee hee. I hope so."

I said something Takano-san would normally tease me about, but she didn't. She nodded and smiled.

...There's no mistake. She is indeed the granddaughter of Dr. Takano.

“Following after my grandfather, we have only counted the 3 together. And counted the 4 after my grandfather. We must reach the 5 that neither me nor my grandfather has seen yet. That is my duty and the reason I was born."
"So that's why your name is Miyo, huh? I think that's a beautiful name."
"Thank you. But please keep the granddaughter issue to yourself. My clients don't even know, and I don't want any unnecessary problems from them finding out about it."
"Ahahahaha, sure. Okay. This is a secret between you and me, huh?"

Although it's only a small secret, it feels good to think that I'm the only one who knows about it.

"I'll support you... ...Ahaha, that's my job in the first place, isn't it?"
"Geez. You'd sound pretty cool if you didn't tack on things like that. You only needed to say that you'll support me, you know."
"Ah, ahahahahaha...! Okay, I'll support you."
"It's too late. You're not cool if you can't get it right the first time. Hee hee hee."

We laughed cheerfully together.

And after we finished laughing, she became serious again, and spoke as if to drive the point home.

"Okay, I promise."
"It's not a bad thing, but I don't want the clients to cut our funding because of that."
"I don't think they will. Besides, I won't tell a soul!"

“To prove that his trampled research is actually something amazing that will shock the world and to make everyone praise my grandfather who is perishing away under the earth, eventually having him ascend as a god. That's the meaning and purpose of my life.”
”......Jirou-san, if you say something that creates problems for my research...!!"
"...D-Don't worry. I'll forget everything you told me here."
"............"
"Really, I mean it. I won't say anything."
"............"
"I promise. ...I won't say anything!"
"...Are you sure, Jirou-san?"

Afraid that she would end up possessed by it, I swore to keep the promise.

Her intellectual curiosity as a researcher and her conviction to complete her grandfather's work are what stirs her passion for researching Hinamizawa Syndrome.

......I think there's one more reason, but it's far too deep and it's within a wound in her heart that someone like me should never touch.

But earlier...

She said... "If you create problems for my research..." I wonder what she wanted to say after that...

I can't help thinking she wanted to say something terrifyingly merciless.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

limeicebreakers posted:

There's been some complaints by readers of Higurashi that Takano's villain reveal is too "late" in the story, which cheapens the impact of the reveal of her motivations. Personally, it's not a belief I subscribe to, because Ryukishi does such a good job fleshing them out in Matsuribayashi. As a mystery, the writer cannot reveal the culprit until near the end of the story unless the mystery is more focused on the means (such as Umineko), so he was structurally limited in that sense. Hell, her motivations aren't even important in the terms of the story - it's only really important to Takano as a character. I think that's something Ryukishi kept in mind as he wrote the final arc, almost treating her as a mini-mystery within the narrative to be solved as we read through the fragments.

I mean, it's definitely clear by ch 3 that Takano is up to something

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Happy Landfill posted:

I mean, it's definitely clear by ch 3 that Takano is up to something

I'm sure her shoving Tomitake's corpse into her car trunk is from a different, unrelated murder to the curse of Oyashiro-sama. :v:

But yeah, signs were always there. Maybe not of her being the main antagonist, but at the very least being dodgy as all hell.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

VIDEO: Fragment 38 | Mion Sonozaki

BGM: What is Wished

I heard the housekeeper's voice.

Our house and the front yard are huge, so unlike normal houses, ringing a doorbell, or yelling my name repeatedly asking to play won't work.

"Rika Furude-chama."
"Oh, finally. Can you tell Granny that Rika-chama is here? I think she's on the porch. I'll get the watermelon."

I just called the Furude house a short time ago, and Rika-chan is here to pick one up.

...Did she come on her bicycle? I can't remember if it has a big enough basket.

I pulled the watermelon from the well while thinking about that.

The cold water in the well has refrigerated the watermelon, and the condensation makes it look delicious.

The three members of the Furude family will enjoy it for at least two nights.

"What? Didn't your dad tell you?!"

The priest answered the phone and I thought I told him to come pick it up...

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, or maybe he misunderstood me completely, but she's here to eat the watermelon, not to take it home.

Besides, the small basket on Rika-chan's bicycle won't hold the watermelon and it's too dangerous for her to ride while holding it in her hands.

"......Meep. I can hold the watermelon."
"No, no, that's too dangerous! If something happened to you, I wouldn't know what to say to Oyashiro-sama. Mion will help you."
"Okay, okay, I will. I'll go say hello to the priest too."

So I'm going to carry the watermelon.

The sky is turning auburn in the sunset. The cool breeze feels good on my sandaled feet.

The plastic bag I'm carrying contains the watermelon and also some small bags of rock candy.

If her mother finds them she'll take them away, so we decided to eat them before we got to her home. We opened the bags and enjoyed the rock candy.

Rika-chan isn't an exception. Whenever kids from our neighborhood come to our house for errands, Granny gives them some treats.

Actually, that's a pretty common rule here in Hinamizawa.

It's funny, but sometimes when parents aren't watching, siblings will fight over who gets to take the circular notice to the next house over.

...So these bags of rock candy are like tips for them.

Of course, she doesn't normally give out this much.

Usually it's just a little piece of it.

...Granny is being extra nice to Rika-chama.

"Don't worry. Granny loves you. You should just thank her and put a big smile on your face, that's all."
"...Do you get lots of treats?"
"Hmm, I used to! But at this age, they don't give me any. If they did though, I would probably feel I was being treated like a little kid."
"......Meep. I'm being treated like a child then."
"Ahahahahaha, that's okay! Enjoy it while you can. When you become as old as me, you won't get any even if you wanted some."

"What's wrong?"

"............"

I can think of so many reasons why.

Not only Satoko, but everyone in the Houjou family is being treated poorly in Hinamizawa.

And the Sonozaki family are the ones who instigated that.

The two dam supporters have died in an accident already.

But the malice against the Houjou family is still going. It's directed against Satoko and Satoshi, their children, and the aunt and uncle who are taking care of them.

The big fight between the Houjou family and the Sonozaki family at the explanatory meeting started all this.

But that was the Houjou couple, and it shouldn't have anything to do with the children and their aunt and uncle.

But the idea that "the Houjou family are traitors" evolved on its own. Therefore, anyone bearing the Houjou name is to be treated poorly.

The aunt and uncle weren't dam supporters.

So over time, the attacks towards them should have stopped.

...But they're rather odd and they keep having trouble with their neighbors.

They don't follow the community rules, they don't do their community duties, and they spray pesticide while their neighbors' laundry is still hanging outside.

They often get into fights with the other villagers. They'd be hated even without the dam.

Therefore, the Houjou family continues to be treated poorly.

BGM: Things I Want to Convey (Tsutaetai Koto)

Satoko and Satoshi are often depressed at school.

I tried to leave the conflict between the two families aside but I wonder how they really feel about that.

From their point of view, I'm just another member of the family that keeps harassing them.

......That'd be pretty difficult.

The Houjou family made enemies of the Three Families.

They were branded as traitors, and that's still considered the truth.

It wouldn't mean anything if one person suggested an end to the hostilities just because the events around the dam are history now. On the contrary, that would just put them in the same position.

Unfortunately for Satoko and Satoshi, the only thing they can do is to wait patiently until the issue withers away.

All I can do for them is provide an oasis until that day comes.

"I don't know. The dam conflict lasted for several years. They were branded back then, so it might take years to clear up too."
"......Do you mean they won't be forgiven until they become adults? Will Satoko have to live out her childhood going through that?"
"That's pretty miserable, isn't it..."

"Sure, they're my friends. We're all buddies."
"......Then isn't there something we can do to help our friends?"
"......What exactly can we do?"

In the first place, Granny hates the Houjou family and won't suffer their name to be mentioned in her presence.

It's not a matter of someone forgiving another.

It's a matter of very complicated ties between the people in this village.

It's absolutely terrifying to have them as your enemies.

Everyone knows that very well and that's why they maintain good relationships with their neighbors.

However if you make enemies out of them, you'll have to face the consequences. That's the unwritten law of the Japanese community.

And the Sonozaki family is a part of this unwritten law.

Now that the Houjou family are outcasts, not even the Sonozaki family can overturn the situation.

".........Unfortunately... that's probably so, yeah. If there's someone who can help Satoko, that person must be someone who has nothing to do with the village. But there's no one like that here."
"...Are you saying someone from the outside has to come help her?"
"............"

No way. That's just wishful thinking. Time will solve the problem someday...

Until then, I have to be their ally.

I can't think of anything else I can do for them.

As Rika-chan and I crunched on our rock candy, we can only pray that people will forgive Satoko and her family sooner rather than later...

Rika-chan gently broke the heavy silence.

"Eh?"
"......I know someone who has absolutely nothing to do with the village will come here from the outside."
"That's right. The dam conflict is over, so it'd be great if more people moved into those lots that are for sale. Wouldn't it be fun if a family with a kid our age moved in?"
"......He will come. I know. And we'll break this evil practice alongside him. That will be the first key to one of the three locks that have us trapped in the past."
"......Eh? What's this? Are you talking about a novel or something?"

Rika-chan says some odd things sometimes.

When she talks that way, she seems so mature... I even start to doubt she's really younger than I am.

Will there really be someone from the outside who will shatter our old traditions?

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

I, uh, realized that it's probably easier to show our progress through these fragments if I just take screenshots of the fragment menu (the ones always thumbnailed at the beginning of an update) right as I come across them, instead of sourcing them from the fragments masterpost everytime. So I went and retroactive changed that in the previous updates. Haha. Hey, look at how many we've cleared on this page already!

VIDEO: Fragment 15 | Mysterious death of the Furude couple

The first year, the workers were stirred into a frenzy, killing and dismembering the old man. And the second year, the Houjou couple were killed through a fake accident.

...Since the dam protests, only people who have been hated by the villagers died on the day of Watanagashi.

Some people in the village were calling the incidents "the curse of Oyashiro-sama".

Now that the dam protests are over, there would be no meaning in the village's enemies being killed on the night of the festival, I thought.

If that was true, then there were still some enemies left over.

I thought that perhaps that would happen again on the night of the festival three years in a row. My hunch was right.

At first, however, it looked so natural that I didn't think anything of it.

They opened their beers and enjoyed the leftover corn and braised cow tripe from the refreshment stands.

I was in the main tent too, being entertained by the villagers.

So I was actually there at the scene of the third year's incident when it happened.

Yet, I didn't notice anything at the beginning.

SFX: Crickets

Most of the older folks in the village were heavy drinkers, but a few were lightweights too. The priest was one of the latter.

The priest was a representative as well as a host during the Watanagashi festival.

So every time visitors and guests arrived, he greeted them, and each time he was offered a drink. So by the night's end, he was pretty worn out.

That's why I didn't think anything of it to see the priest sitting by himself in a folding chair.

The mayor, Kimiyoshi, was the one to tap his shoulder and ask him if he was alright.

"...Are you okay? Ahhhahahahaha, you drank too much, didn't you? Huh? Does your chest hurt?"
"......Hmmm... Sorry, I think I'm a little tired."
"Huh? Didn't you have heart trouble before? Getting sudden pains isn't a good sign! Dr. Irie!! Dr. Irieee!!"

"..Mmmmm... Ooooh."

When I saw what was going on, I noticed he was covered in a terrible sweat and was definitely not relaxing in his chair and enjoying the cool evening breeze.

His face had a sickly pallor, and I thought he should lie down immediately.

"......I should probably take you to the clinic. Are you okay? Can you hold on to my shoulder?"
"Hey, somebody help!!"
"The priest doesn't feel well..."
"What's wrong with my husband? Dear, are you alright...?"
"Takano-san!! Perfect timing! The priest doesn't feel well, so I'm going to take him to the clinic. Could you please have the car come around here?"
"Sure. No problem. ...Hee hee."

......I don't know about young people, but the elderly know their own bodies well.

They almost never push themselves to the point where they start feeling ill.

Especially someone like the priest. It was hard to imagine him drinking himself sick.

The cumulative experience of my years was telling me something... I headed to the Irie Clinic just in case.

More than twenty minutes had passed since the priest was carried in by the time I arrived at the clinic.

Twenty minutes.

If it hadn't taken me twenty minutes, my involvement in this year's incident would have been quite different.

...I regretted not leaving on foot the moment I realized how hard it was to get my car out.

......All I get to do now is jot down the facts.

Because between the time the priest left the festival and the time I arrived at the clinic, during those twenty minutes, this year's curse had taken place.

The autopsy results say it was heart failure, but how can I accept that?

I don't think the priest was having health problems, and everyone was taken by surprise by this sudden event.

Moreover, the wife of the priest disappeared too.

According to the clinic staff, she was with him right after he died, but she's nowhere to be seen now.

Of course, she's not at home either.

Maybe someone poisoned the priest.

...During the dam conflict, the priest was frowned upon for his remarks. He said there was no need to make a big fuss, because the dam project would be canceled anyway.

The older villagers like to hold grudges and hadn't forgotten that, so even I had heard word of them talking about how the priest wasn't fit for the shrine to Oyashiro-sama.

I called for backup and had them go search for the missing wife.

...With last year's falling couple incident as precedent, it was easy to believe both wife and husband could become victims.

The village's youth group got organized and searched from the village to the mountains, and as a result...

The will said something about how her husband's death was the curse of Oyashiro-sama and she was throwing herself in the swamp to calm the god's anger. In other words, she committed suicide by jumping into the swamp.

Legends say that the swamp is bottomless, and is connected directly to Hell. Once you sink, you'll never come back.

Divers from the police department searched the swamp, but her body was nowhere to be found.

Something is odd about this year's mysterious death.

The ill priest was carried to the clinic. His wife accompanied him.

Within twenty minutes, the priest died of heart failure, and the wife either committed suicide or disappeared.

The death of the priest may really have been a fatal heart attack.

But for his wife to assume that it was the curse, and to commit suicide by jumping into the swamp... for all that to happen in twenty minutes just doesn't seem natural.

Even if she was a true believer in Oyashiro-sama, how could she commit suicide while leaving behind her one and only daughter?

...Irie is hiding something, too.

But he's just a village doctor, which means he's nothing more than their pawn.

...If this is all a conspiracy to assassinate the priest, then there is someone who's pulling the strings.

I had been starting to think that trying to tie the past two incidents to the village so forcefully was a bit overbearing of me, but... ...this incident was enough to convince me that this series of cases involving mysterious deaths in Hinamizawa were all grounded in one intention.

This incident has countless numbers of discrepancies, but someone from the village seems to be putting pressure on high command. And just like the past incidents, this one will be treated as an individual case, and end up being forgotten...

Since it happened three years in a row, everyone in the village will say it's the curse of Oyashiro-sama.

I think that's the culprit's goal.

After the war, belief in Oyashiro-sama became antiquated.

...Is someone committing these murders as a ritual to restore that god's dignity?

- - -

Oryou Sonozaki said something like, "it was natural for that priest to be cursed by Oyashiro-sama," and so the priest's case was lumped together with the mysterious Hinamizawa deaths, otherwise known as Oyashiro-sama's curse.

...But now that case had grown into an abnormal one, centered on the village's faith.

...drat it!! The old man's killer is human.

...I won't let it be pushed off onto some nonsense curse!

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

VIDEO: Fragment 28 | Suffering of a big brother

BGM: Boy in the Windmill (Fuushagoya no Shounen)

The sound of cicadas makes the heat stand out even more, but to those boys, it's just another kind of cheering from the crowds.

Of course, they go through training exercises to build stamina.

But the boys don't actually like such routine activities. What they look forward to the most is the free game after practice.

The school in Hinamizawa is actually borrowed from the forestry service.

The schoolyard is made of gravel, so it's not very appropriate for playing sports on.

Compared to that, the grounds at the school in Okinomiya are properly maintained for athletic activities, so the kids grow even more energetic when they come here.

Kids from Hinamizawa really don't care if the ground is made of gravel or not.

The other instructor is watching the game, so I decided to go get some drinks for the team.

"I thought I'd go get some drinks for everyone. Do you mind helping me, Satoshi-kun?"
"Oh no, not at all!"

Satoshi-kun decided to come along with me.

Satoshi-kun and I got in the car and headed to the grocery store nearby.

SFX: Cars

"Well, she's doing fine. Although it's an extremely slow process, her emotional wounds are healing. I think we should let her rest for a little longer."

It's natural for Satoshi-kun to be worried.

Satoko-chan has been in the hospital for over two weeks.

Of course, he doesn't know his sister has Hinamizawa Syndrome. Not only that, she's almost at L5. She could become deranged at any moment.

He believes she's depressed because of the shock of their parents' accident.

He came to the clinic every day to cheer his sister up, but Satoko-chan has become emotionally unstable and was showing some dangerous symptoms, so we called off the visits.

L5, the stage Satoko-chan is at, is a very abnormal one.

The man from last year, who was at the same stage, was acting so abnormal that even a drug addict in his final stages would've turned and ran.

There's no guarantee Satoko-chan won't fall into the same condition.

When we performed the autopsy on that man last year, we learned the true identity of the syndrome, and gained a great understanding of its mechanisms.

We even discovered some important facts that may lead to the development of a cure.
However, we have yet to find a method of actually curing the disease. ...So if Satoko-chan becomes unrecoverable, we may have to dissect her, just like we did the man from last year.

How can I tell Satoshi-kun about his sister's situation? All I can do is make vague comments and lie to him that she's recovering.

What if she becomes much worse?

...That would make me an unforgivable liar.

The tiny bit of conscience that remains in me hurts.

"...Why are you saying that?"

I thought he wanted her to come home as soon as possible, so I'm a little surprised.

"Well... actually... Satoko doesn't get along with our aunt."
"I heard she didn't get along with her parents... but she can't get along with your aunt and uncle either?"
"......Satoko doesn't open up to grown-ups."

Their mother's constant remarriages wounded her children deeply.

Satoshi-kun was able to overcome it, but Satoko-chan was too young to be able to do that.

That left her traumatized, and she now has the tendency to distrust or dislike guardians who aren't related to her.

...Actually, nobody would like a guardian who isn't related to them. It's not just Satoko-chan.

But usually people try to deal with that, even if they don't like it.

...I guess Satoko-chan's not capable of that.

"...Why doesn't she like her?"

I can guess why.

Satoko-chan's parents were dam proponents and because of that, the villagers considered the aunt and uncle part of the Houjou family and ostracized them as such.

Moreover, they passed away suddenly in an accident and left two children behind, so I guess there would be more hate there than gratitude.

If she had been obedient like Satoshi-kun, everything would've been fine...

But Satoko-chan can't be that way.

She shows that in her attitude and expressions, which leads to her and her aunt having a big fight.

"I think you're a great big brother, Satoshi-kun. You're the one and only relative Satoko-chan has left now..."
"...Right. ...I feel that way too."

Satoshi-kun said with a slight hint of a sigh.

He doesn't say it, but it seems Satoshi-kun has grown tired of having to cover for Satoko-chan every time she and her aunt fight.

BGM: Bellflower

So I'm sure he'll do anything to cover for his sister. ...But that's a very exhausting thing to keep doing forever.

Satoshi-kun was already doing that when their parents were alive.

And eventually, his mental equilibrium couldn't handle the strain, he grew sick, and he visited my clinic.

I thought his circumstances might have improved after their initial cause--his parents--were gone...

But it seems things were even worse than before.

"I understand. I can't release Satoko-chan if things are like that. Her symptoms may return again. Don't worry about the hospital fees. I'll make sure Satoko-chan truly recovers."

While trying to pretend I'm listening to his request, I feel a little disgusted at myself for making such selfish excuses.

I'll make sure?

Takano-san is working on her dissection plan as we speak.

"What...?"
"I mean...... if Satoko stays in the clinic a little while longer, then I can relax, as well. ...That's all."
"What do you mean?"
"...As soon as Satoko comes back, I know she'll get into fights with my aunt again. ...Then it's back to those days of constant fighting and screaming again... and I'll probably get dragged into it too. ......So if Satoko were hospitalized for a very long time, that would be the easiest on me…”
”But when I think like that... I hate myself..."
"Satoshi-kun..."

Satoshi-kun is a great big brother who always sticks up for his little sister. But that doesn't mean he doesn't feel burdened.

Satoshi-kun said, sniffling once.

His expression was one of anguish, as if truly feeling his own sin...

His desire to be a model big brother is putting himself under greater pressure.

I feel bad for Satoko-chan, but I also feel bad for Satoshi-kun in a different way.

As someone who knows the both of them well, I feel that I must be their ally, since they don't have anyone else who cares about them.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

:siren: Content warning for depiction of being under strong effects of medication, graphic depiction of self harm (paired with self-loathing thoughts and maggots), as well as discussion of divorce, affair, child neglect, and an instance of physically assaulting a child.

VIDEO: Fragment 3 | A red capsule

BGM: Depressive Paranoia

Or maybe it was an oval tablet.

It was so red... it must've been a capsule.

I can't imagine a tablet in that color.

It must've been a capsule.

I think it was a little bigger than a normal one. ...I think. I think. ...I can't remember.

Although I can hardly remember, if I see that medicine again, it'll refresh my memory.

That medicine strips away humanity.

It takes away a human's soul, memory, emotion, and it numbs the human body.

There are no thoughts, no interests, no will to stay awake or asleep.

There's no sense of time.

Sometimes, a second can feel like an eternity, and other times I can almost see an hour hand move.

Either way, there's no emotion involved. I can't feel any emotion.

The medicine only lets me stay in bed and look up at the ceiling...

Only the people who have taken it can understand this misery.

I'm given the medication daily, and I keep losing all my senses.

So... when the medicine wore off by accident, I realized.

I should never take it again.

......That's right. This isn't medicine that will heal me. It's just going to kill me slowly.

If I continued to take this medicine, I probably wouldn't be able to tell if I was dead or alive, and I would end up losing myself forever.

......I'll keep looking up at the ceiling, without any emotions, and keep watching the clock tick forever.

If I take the medicine again, I'll lose all the senses I finally regained...

I may never be able to bring myself back again.

...Since the day I realized that, I've been pretending to take the medicine, but throwing it away instead.

I can hear my mother's voice.

Any time I went to the doctor's office when I was a child, my mother said that to me.

I usually got well before I finished all the medicine, so I didn't finish taking the rest. That's why my mother said that.

But this is a different type of medicine.

I don't even remember how old I was when my mother said that, but with this strange capsule in front of me, I have to try and get rid of my mother's voice from inside of my head.

I pressed down on my head with my elbows until it hurt, trying to get rid of what my mother kept telling me.

My mother betrayed her family.

She betrayed me and my father, who waited for her at home with dinner on the table.

She told us she was busy with work, but she was having an affair.

That was bad enough, but she asked my father for a divorce after he took such good care of her for so many years.

But there's something else I can't forgive her for.

She invited only me to meet with her new family. Not my father, just me.

My father and I are family.

Family means being together.

Yet my mother tried to destroy the bond between my father and me. Not only had she destroyed her bond with him, she tried to destroy my bond with him, too.

When I remember, it makes me feel angry and hateful, and I can't forgive her.

The back of my eyes started to hurt, and I could feel the hatred on my face.

Uncle Akihito.

I didn't like him teasing me, but he gave me an allowance and tried to have fun with me.

I liked him very much.

But his niceness was all calculated.

He wanted to destroy the family bonds between my mother, my father, and me.

...That's why I shouldn't have said I liked him very much.

That's right. I'm starting to remember and understand. I now know my true enemy.

It was his fault that my mother started to have an affair.

Because my mother was a very good mother.

He was the one who made her a bad one.

So he's the one who deserves the blame.

I think it was the time when my mother and I went out and had lunch at a restaurant. She introduced him as one of her colleagues from work.

At that time... If I think about that first meeting...

I think I felt something wasn't right with the way my mother acted around him.

That's right, I did. I did think something was wrong. It didn't feel right. ...I wish I'd trusted my instincts then.

...I was a fool to think he was a nice person just because he gave me a strawberry from his piece of cake.

It was not my father's fault.

Because I bet he never met Uncle Akihito.

But I have.

I've met him many times, and there were a lot of chances to realize he was my enemy.

If I had a strong enough will to protect my happiness, I could have noticed that.

My father, who was so nice and gentle, grabbed his knees so tightly and cried so hard.

He asked me if I knew Uncle Akihito.

I answered yes.

Then he slapped me in the face.

...When he slapped me, I finally realized how stupid I was for being taken in by him.

I destroyed the happiness I had hoped to last forever with my own hands.

If I hadn't been that stupid, my father wouldn't have had to cry like that, and my mother would have stayed good.

If I wasn't that stupid...! It was my fault!!

I can't forgive my mother and Uncle Akihito.

Even when I hate him this much, I still call him 'Uncle' and I can't forgive myself for that!!

It was my fault, everything was my fault!

I was too stupid and foolish, and that's why this happened!!

I hate her! I'm sad! I'm frustrated! I can't stop being angry!

If my mother ever came back to this house, I would rip her apart with my hands!!

My anger turned towards everything that my mother left in the house.

I destroyed every relic my mother left behind, one after another.

I threw and smashed everything.

But that still didn't calm me down.

Even after I turned the whole house upside down, I still couldn't calm my anger.

Where does my anger gather? It starts from inside of me, goes through my arms, to my finger tips, and spurts from my nails. Where else can it go? ...So my nails aim at my own body.

My body is the filthiest and most disgusting thing of all. I am the one to be blamed. No, no, no, I'm not to blame. My mother's most at fault. My mother's the most corrupt! My body and soul feel filthy! I wanted to stain myself black and slice the remaining flesh into pieces!!

I am rotten. I am rotten from the inside. Come on, rot more...!! But it is indescribably itchy. It is itchy, itchy, itchy, itchy!

I stabbed my thigh with a razor blade in the bathroom.

I forced myself to open my blood vessels with my thumbs.

The maggots spilled out. Squirm, squirm, squirm, squirm, squirm, squirm, squirm, squirm, squirm, squirm...!!

So many maggots spilled out from my left thigh. My right thigh must have the same amount of maggots in its blood vessels. Maybe my calves, too. My arms, abdomen, chest, no, no, no, how many maggots are there in the blood vessels in my neck?

Strangely, although I've become rather insane, there is still a part of me that is calm.

If I keep ripping myself apart like this, I'll end up dead.

But everything is my fault, and I'm the one to be blamed.

Even if I blame my mother, the only way I can disgrace her is with my own body.

That's the best means for quelling my anger. ...I feel like I'm thinking incredibly rationally now.

In order to forgive myself, ...I need someone else to blame. It has to be someone else's fault. But no such person exists. No matter how much I think about it, or how I twist the logic, my own body is my only outlet to vent this anger. So long as there's no one else to blame, I'll be forced to rip open every blood vessel in my body.

Just like no matter how much I scratch, it still itches, no matter how much I rip apart my own body, it's not enough. The blood is all over the bathroom, and I'm sure it makes for quite the gruesome scene.

Although I'm trying to stay calm, I can't ignore the sharp pain that runs through my body. Maybe because I've lost so much blood, or maybe because I'm naked in the bathroom, I feel freezing cold. My whole body is throbbing, and my heart is beating so fast. I'm cold and hot at the same time, and I'm also sad, angry, and in pain...

...I want to find something that lets me forgive myself.

BGM: Soul Scour

It came in a heavenly light.

It was mysterious and unreal, like something out of this world.

It apologized.

It kept apologizing.

Why is it apologizing...?

You apologize when you're at fault.

...So this thing I just met for the first time was admitting to wronging me.

That means... I'm not at fault. ...It's at fault, not me.

Aha, ahahahahahahahaha......?

It fell into the puddle of blood.

The pain is taking over my body.

The pain of ripping apart my own body is taking over me.

I've been telling myself this pain is the punishment for what I've done.

But I'm not at fault. It is. So I don't need to accept this pain as a punishment...

...So I don't need to defile my body anymore.

She continued apologizing to me over and over as I stood there covered in fresh blood.

She apologized everytime I wanted to blame myself, constantly, constantly whispering that it wasn't my fault.

She is always following me. Slap, slap, slap, slap.

And every time I can't endure the guilt, she apologizes and tells me I am not at fault.

Everything is caused by the curse of Oyashiro-sama.

Things started to go wrong when I broke the rule that I wasn't supposed to leave Hinamizawa.

I finally remember. When I moved from Hinamizawa, one of my neighbors gave me a charm. She said that if I left Hinamizawa, I'd be cursed, so I had to take the charm. That's right, she gave me a charm. It had some complicated writing on it. But I haven't seen it since I moved here. I may have lost it.

There is nothing I can do about that. If Hinamizawa residents leave Hinamizawa, they'll be cursed.

My mother and I, even Uncle Akihito too, may have gone insane because of the curse of Oyashiro-sama.

Nobody was at fault from the beginning.

Because everything is caused by the curse of Oyashiro-sama.

Father, now I know.

The curse of Oyashiro-sama is what caused my mother to leave, and for you to be so sad. You remember Oyashiro-sama, don't you? The guardian deity of Hinamizawa. That's right.

People of Hinamizawa aren't supposed to go to the outside world. That's why mother went insane. It's all because of the curse of Oyashiro-sama.

If we had stayed in Hinamizawa, we would have been happy.

Oyashiro-sama came to me and told me that.

Come to think of it, Oyashiro-sama has been trying to tell me that for a long time. After mother left, I didn't know why she left or how to express my anger. Oyashiro-sama has kept following me ever since then to let me know that.

She followed me everywhere, the sound of her footsteps echoing behind me. But I pretended I didn't notice her. ...Ahahahaha, I was so stupid. I didn't hear her voice until I slashed my body all over.

If only I had listened to Oyashiro-sama's voice.

If the whole family had gone back to Hinamizawa, my mother wouldn't have had an affair.

We would've been happy there.

I bet Oyashiro-sama has been trying to tell me that. That's right, she must've been trying to warn me ever since we left Hinamizawa.

She was always with me. She followed me everywhere. I was stupid, trying to pretend I didn't notice. Everything was because of that stupidity. If I had noticed Oyashiro-sama's voice, my family wouldn't have suffered from the curse! It's all my fault!! Ahh, Oyashiro-sama is apologizing. She keeps apologizing, which means this is all her fault!!

So this isn't my fault, is it? Because this is the curse of Oyashiro-sama, right? She's apologizing, saying "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry!!" Oyashiro-sama is apologizing repeatedly!! So I'm sorry too! I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry!! I'm sorry that I didn't hear your voice. I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry!! We are from Hinamizawa, so we have to keep hearing your voice!! Oyashiro-sama definitely exists, exists, exists, exists!!

I'm sorry too, come on, Father, let's apologize too. Mother, you don't have to apologize. You should die because of the curse!! I hate you, Mother, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you!! I hate myself for being your daughter!! These maggots are your fault. They make me itch everywhere!!

I'm sorry, I'm sorry!! I'm sorry, I'm sorry!! No, no, I don't want that medicine!! My mother got it to kill me, so I don't want it, I won't take it!! I told you I won't take it, stop, stop!! This is a curse, so you can't fix it with medicine! It won't get rid of the maggots, because this is a curse!! No, I don't want a shot either, stop, stop!! It hurts, it hurts it hurts it hurts!!!

The voices of my father and the doctor sound so far away.

Even what just happened seems like it happened a long time ago.

Again, I'm given the capsule, and even my memory from a minute ago is gone.

- - -

In what I can see, the only thing that interests me is the hands on the clock.

Tick, tock, tick, tock.

I follow the minute hand as it goes around quickly, and the hour hand as it goes around slowly.

I see other things, too.

But they keep going through the same motions, just like the hands on the clock.

I'm sorry, I'm sorry. It's my fault, I'm sorry. ...Oyashiro-sama keeps apologizing.

Tick, tock, tick, tock, I'm sorry, I'm sorry.

Tick, tock, tick, tock, I'm sorry, I'm sorry.

...Repeating over and over, constantly, and nothing else...

The chorus of higurashi coming in through the window during the night seems louder than usual.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

VIDEO: Fragment 25 | A roll of a one

BGM: Requiem for the Disaster

Uncle Koizumi passed away.

I never heard he was ill or wasn't feeling well.

His chest started to hurt suddenly, and he couldn't sleep.

He called an ambulance for the first time in his life because he didn't think he could endure the pain.

He was taken into emergency care, but he didn't live to see morning.

It was an acute myocardial infarction.

......But maybe it was the best possible way to go.

Instead of being in bed for many years slowly dilapidating and withering away, he was healthy until his death, so I think he must have lived a wonderful life.

But still... it was too sudden.

It's too late though.

......Uncle Koizumi would never smile at me again with his wrinkly old face, no matter how many times I called for him.

......He was my guardian until now.

He always looked after me, making sure my efforts received proper recognition.

Maybe he only did that because he couldn't help my grandfather when he was alive. But still, he was an important person to me. He wasn't just my political backing.

But, I didn't realize that when he was alive.

I only thought of using his power for my own agenda.

But after he died, I realized.

Uncle Koizumi was my grandpa too.

He provided the warmth and protection that I longed for from my own grandfather.

At his funeral, I shed tears that I thought that I forgot how to.

No matter how many times I called to him, he would never reply.

What I can do for him at this point is complete my research.

I must accomplish my goal for his sake.

When my grandfather's research is finally acknowledged, Uncle Koizumi's name will be known once again for being the sole supporter of his endeavor.

I believe that's the best way to repay him for everything he has done.

I vow to devote myself to my work even more from this day on...

But... unfortunately... ...hardships and sadness tend to come together.

It was like... the tailwind that blew steadily until today... suddenly became a headwind.

...The winds shifted far too suddenly. So strong, so cold, so sad.

- - -

BGM: Solitude

“...After all, he was one of the key figures in the post-war restoration, accomplishing tremendous deeds in the medical industry. He held a huge influence in politics and industry."
"So now that Koizumi-sensei is gone, the way he did things won't work any longer?"
"So far, it's only a rumor, so I don't know for sure. But I heard they're going to reconsider the budget allocated for the project."
"...Are you saying the Irie Institute will be closed down?"
"No, I haven't heard anything about them reconsidering the Institute. ...But since Koizumi-sensei's death, the rumors say that there's a great deal of confusion among the old guard and their factions as well as the civil strife within the party around finding his successor.”
”It seems the opposing factions are gaining influence in the human resources of our client. So they may begin to dig deep into the holy treasure chest that the Koizumi faction held to fund their project. Of course, this is all too complicated for me to explain that well and besides, these might just be rumors."

Jirou-san kept saying they were rumors, but that told me the wind's direction has changed.

Or maybe... Jirou-san already knows everything, and is simply trying to warn me about it.

Jirou-san made it clear with his own mouth.

High-ranking government officials, who had never came here before, attended the routine audit along with Jirou-san.

Just by seeing those faces, I can tell the turning point is approaching.

BGM: Cradle Song

“In this day and age, we must put the past behind us, and start looking forward to a new world."

He meant exactly what he said.

Japan has already put the past behind.

And it's cutting off its ties to the ghosts that wished to resurrect the militaristic might of the pre-war era.

"It's been forty years since the end of the war, and we've contributed to the world in various peaceful ways. We have a strong alliance with the United States, and our nation has established its position in world affairs well enough. We have kept our promise to forever renounce war and nuclear weapons, and we are known as a nation of peace. In this coming century, our presence and influence will grow even larger."

The Alphabet Project, the main sponsor of the Irie Institute, are a group of people who want to develop a weapon that would act as a deterrent to the nuclear weapons which Japan is forbidden to own.

...So they've come to the Irie Institute, one of its branch organizations, to tell us Japan has now renounced nuclear arms... so the Irie Institute will be facing a strong, cold headwind from now on.

......I won't let the result of a die affect me.

The power of my will won't be beaten by some god's roll of the dice...

“but through peaceful measures like international trade and economic development."

All of the people who hold tremendous influence in the politics and economy of Japan were born before the war, so naturally they want to regain the glory of pre-war Japan.

The very idea that we can win next time if we research the new bomb that defeated us is itself a specter of the war.

...No, everyone already realized that.

It was just that no one could speak out against the grandstanding elders they owed their gratitude towards.

Soon, the old will wither away and the new generation will take control.

Uncle Koizumi was, in a way, the last remaining pillar for the old generation.

His death is a chance for the new generation to step in.

The things they couldn't argue openly are now being discussed.

They've pointed out that from the beginning, the Alphabet Project was created for the personal satisfaction of a small group of people, and it's sucked money out of the treasury.

And so, the new generation of politicians... have taken over from the old.

Irie responded appropriately, but he's obviously bewildered.

The best equipment and staff are being provided to the Irie Institute.

In other words, our research requires a huge amount of money.

For those with no interest in Hinamizawa Syndrome, they probably won't be able to understand why that much money is being put into the research of disgusting parasites.
If they're simply going to revise our budget, that would be fine.

...We were receiving more than enough money.

That would, naturally, be adjusted.

......It hurts, but we can endure.

...That's what I thought. ...But if just enduring it was enough, it wouldn't be a 1 on the die.

...So, even in that sense ...this is definitely a roll of a die coming up as 1.

His papers were then passed around.

He started to go over the details, but I read through quickly so I could learn about their stupid decisions first.

"The Irie Institute has made great headway in uncovering the mystery of the Hinamizawa Syndrome, as well as creating a cure for the disease. The board of directors is extremely pleased. We recognize this is due to the unceasing efforts of Director Irie and all the staff of the Irie Institute."
"Thank you."

Even while he received their congratulations, a tense atmosphere surrounded me and Irie.

It's customary to start the conversation in the opposite way you're planning to take it before delving into your main point to convey.

If the main issue is something good, then start with something bad. ...Or vice versa.

“The new board of directors has decided to put a stop to the latter immediately. In this day and age, researching biological weapons is an Achilles' heel for Japan. The Irie Institution must cease all related research and destroy any results."
"I understand. I will comply."

Irie replied with that immediately.

Irie was assertive about finding a cure, but was never even remotely interested in researching the disease's use for military purposes.

So I'm sure he has no qualms about concurring with such demands.

But I don't agree.

Because our research will be more limited if we're just trying to find a cure.

...To me, finding that cure is simply a by-product of my larger goal of discovering everything about the syndrome.

"W-Wait, please...! We've only recently figured out anything about the syndrome, and there's more we have to learn in order to create a better cure. We're making progress, but I can't guarantee we'll come up with a complete cure within three years."
"It's the understanding of the board that the Irie Institute has already completed enough research to develop a cure. The Irie Institute has already completed the C117 vaccine, and has a great deal of clinical data--"
"No, it's not even close to being completed!! It's still only a prototype, and we're far from being able to see a cure for all the villagers! Debating the end of our research at this stage can only be described as absolutely, positively reckless!"

I'm surprised that Irie objected.

Thanks to him, I didn't have to say anything.

...But if Irie hadn't objected, I'm sure I would have shrieked in protest.

"Yes. Of course, curing all the villagers and eradicating the syndrome will be possible in the future, and that's our ultimate goal. But I need more time, and of course, funding to do that. Our job is to investigate, find a practice that works, and establish it as a product. This isn't a job where you can follow a blueprint to create something with certainty in a set time frame. So we hope that you'll avoid following that misconception."

And what he's saying is absolutely right.

Research isn't something guaranteed to produce results with money and time.

...But I disagree with some of the things he said.

He's objecting about the time and the money, but he's basically agreeing to limit our research only towards finding a cure for Hinamizawa Syndrome.

That won't do. We won't unravel any mysteries that way. At that rate, the discovery of the Hinamizawa Syndrome won't be recognized as my grandfather's great achievement!

“So we must forever hide the fact that research was conducted on the strange disease called Hinamizawa Syndrome, as well as hide its existence. If you can eradicate the disease without anyone ever learning about it, then we will give you the time and funding you require. ...But we'll discuss more about that later. Is that acceptable?"

"Then, please submit a plan and a budget proposal for eradicating the syndrome in secrecy. We'll do our best on our part to approve your proposal."
"Thank you. I'll work on it immediately."
"Please don't misunderstand that it's our intention to halt that research immediately. We want to see the best possible outcome for your work. Please understand that."
"Yes, of course, I understand."

In other words, it would have be as though Hinamizawa Syndrome never existed.

...So my grandfather's name will never be revered by anyone...

The sound of rustling papers and hushed proceedings filled the meeting room, but I only heard the ticking clock as I clutched my sweating palms.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Oh yes, everything definitely would've ended peacefully if Takano had been allowed to continue her parasite research and expose the truth!

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

:siren: Content warning for mention of past self-harm and suicide attempt.

VIDEO: Fragment 37 | Rena Ryuugu

BGM: Beyond the Skies (Sora no Mukou) [Piano]

"Ah, sorry. We just moved in next door. We're here to introduce ourselves. Pleased to meet you."
"Oh my, oh my! Someone as young as you moved here? I see, I see, welcome!! Mom!! Our new neighbor is here to say hello!!"
"Don't yell like that! Thank you for taking time to come over."
"They're the Ryuugu family. They just moved into the empty house next door."
"......Aaahhhh!! You're Reina-chan, aren't you? My, how you've grown!"
"Ah, ahahahaha. Yes, I'm Reina. Thank you for remembering, hauu..."
"Mom, do you know her?!"
"Of course I do! You were living in Okinomiya then, so you probably don't remember. But they used to live next door. So, you came back huh? This village is better than the big city, is it?"
"I don't remember much because I was so small when we lived here... but I feel this is where I belong."
"Then you'll fit right in! If there's anything we can do for you, let us know! There's no need to hesitate. Being unreserved is the rule here, after all."
"Ah, yes! Thank you very much."

I do recall, however, the vivid breeze, as well as the brilliant greenery.

I don't remember the village, but I remember that this is my hometown.

...Red scars still remain on my body.

They're hardly visible, and I can't even feel them.

I'm sure they'll disappear soon.

Now that I'm back in Hinamizawa, sometimes I wonder who I was back in Ibaraki.

In fact, I think I wasn't myself from the moment I left.

And now, by coming back here, I've finally regained my true self.

I can hardly remember what I was like back in Ibaraki.

...Well, that's probably because of the red medicine.

The medicine erased all of my painful memories.

Maybe... that was for the best.

I just wanted to be forgiven back then.

I wanted someone to acknowledge that I wasn't at fault. I wanted to be forgiven.

...So Oyashiro-sama apologized.

She told me I wasn't at fault, because it was the curse of Oyashiro-sama.

That's how I was able to forgive myself.

I didn't have to die by tearing my blood vessels out of my body.

...I think people have to die because they become corrupted.

That's why people try their hardest not to dirty themselves all their lives.

But I'm still living, despite how dirty I am. I've been allowed to live.

Is there still some filth left on me?

Or am I all clean? I don't know.

The only thing I know is that the me who lived in Ibaraki and the me who's here right now are two different people.

I no longer feel the need to take responsibility by ripping myself apart because of the filth.

Although I hardly remember Hinamizawa, my father remembers things very clearly.

"Watanagashi?"
"I've never seen it myself, so I don't know too much about it. But supposedly people let cotton absorb the filth on their bodies and drift it down the stream."

Absorb the filth.

"You can wash your filth down the stream, huh?"
"Aha ha ha ha, of course. Humans are sinners. As we live every day, filth piles up on our bodies, supposedly. And once a year, we get rid of the filth by letting the cotton absorb it."

Court sentences can settle your crimes legally, but that doesn't mean the burden of sin, of the filth, will just go away.

In other words, human hands can't erase human filth in this human world.

The filth is something humans can't get rid of and that's why we need a god from a different world to do that. ...That's what I thought.

But... I'm surprised to learn about Watanagashi.

Human hands erasing human filth in the human world.

Letting the cotton absorb the filth and drifting it down the stream. That means it's okay to live in this world.

I tried to commit suicide because I couldn't forgive myself.

Oyashiro-sama apologized to me and told me to come back to Hinamizawa.

And now, here in Hinamizawa, there's this Watanagashi, a ceremony to get rid of filth.

This isn't just a coincidence.

Hinamizawa is a place to wash away your filth.

It forgives sins.

It is a place of forgiveness.

"...Ah, I've heard of those before."
"Japanese culture is very strict about filth. You aren't allowed to remain in the spotlight if you accumulate too much. See, that's the reason why politicians and company presidents resign immediately once people find out about their dirty deeds. You must leave the spotlight if you're filthy. To put it in a bad way, the filth is basically pushed onto someone else, and they are held responsible for it."

That's why people push them onto someone else and then try to get rid of the filth by sacrificing that person.

But if that's the case, every time that filth is created, people will try to pass around responsibility for it.

That's awfully hideous. It's almost like seeing demons in the human world.

That's why they came up with the idea of letting the cotton absorb all the filth.

By doing so, people can live without making someone else take on all the responsibility, sins, and filth.

Putting everyone's sins onto someone and then killing that person makes that person a sacrifice.

Who wants to be a sacrifice?

That's why they desperately push their sins around.

A purification ceremony is about replacing the human sacrifice with a nonhuman one.

The purification ceremony dramatically changed Japanese culture. Before then, people always believed someone had to become a sacrifice.

In other words, even with filth, everyone can live without blaming someone else.

Only an existence higher than humans can forgive them.

I was forgiven by Oyashiro-sama and came back to this place. To Watanagashi, the purification ceremony that exists here.

Letting cotton absorb the filth and drifting it away.

There's no need for a sacrifice. That's why I've been allowed to live.

The filthy me has drifted away, so the me that remains is no longer Reina Ryuugu.

If I'm not Reina, then who am I?

If I'm without filth, without all the icky things, who am I?

My new name, that only removes one of the letters from 'Reina', but I think it's a cute name.

All the 'i'-cky things are erased and forgiven with the removal of that one letter.

So my name is no longer Reina.

My name is…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I wonder how other languages translated the 'i' in Reina being removed. I really like how they do it here, with Rena deciding the 'i' in her name stands for 'icky' since it falls in line with how Rena already speaks but is also really thematically appropriate