Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

VIDEO: Fragment 21 | Deja-vu

BGM: Silence
SFX: Crickets

"No, no, not at all. It's no fun getting old."
"You've gotta concentrate when you work with clay. If you put it off for a long time, your senses get dull, and there's no point!!"
"Sensei, allow me to introduce someone. This is Major Takano."
"Very nice to meet you. Thank you for taking time to meet with me today. I truly appreciate it."
"Ah, I really didn't make time for you, actually. I was told that I could have some good raw sea urchins!! Sea urchins are good for you, did you know? Rich in vitamin A, and they are good for your skin. Women like sea urchins, right? Waaahahahahahaha!!"

It is true that sea urchins are rich in vitamin A, but compared to spinach, it's not anything that's worth making a fuss about.

Well, none of that matters right now.

He just seems like an unpleasant man, so I wanted to criticize him.

They are also people who are in the position of being able to offer their opinions to those directors.

To put it in a simpler way, they are the new owners of the Irie Institute.

Although not as much as Uncle Koizumi was, they are also leaders and influencers in various fields.

I have to be very careful not to upset them.

And therefore, there's no way I would have had the ability to call them in.

By using the influence that the Koizumi faction once had, I finally managed to get this chance.

Uncle Koizumi, who gave me his full support and made everything go my way, is not here anymore.

I'm on my own from this point on, and I will open up a path.

But this stage just doesn't belong to me today.

I can't let the people who offered me this chance lose face, so I have to wait patiently until it's my turn.

They only ever think about money, so they aren't even realizing the hidden potential of Hinamizawa Syndrome.

They don't recognize that it's worth spending a lot of money on.

This is not mere research on the existence of an unknown parasite, but something that may overthrow the basic foundations of anthropology.

A Nobel Prize wouldn't even be enough.

......It won't be easy trying to explain all that to men who know nothing about any of it, but I have to.

That's why I spent many hours making these straightforward support documents.

Sometimes, we make documents confusing on purpose because we don't like dealing with uneducated people, but this time, it's different.

I can't look down at them. I must sincerely try to make them understand.

The accessible support documents are there in a huge pile.

It feels like we're wasting time eating traditional Japanese food in such a relaxed mood.

I want to get to the point and explain to them in detail so they can understand.

...But there is the saying, "luck lies in the last helping." ...I have to be patient right now.

BGM: Ancient Times (Inishie)

“Nothing but a sandbox for those old men to craft their dreams of imperial Japan's revival with money that isn't theirs. Do you know how much public funding was wasted on those delusions?"
"From what I've heard, there are already prosecutors poking people like Okuno-sensei and trying to pin embezzlement on the old board of directors."
"Waahahahahahahaha. That's what you get for trying to suck up to those old men. Of course, none of it can be made public, so I guess they'll be held responsible or demoted in another form. This is what the country gets for letting these ghosts of the war run around freely all this time! Boy, these grilled sea urchins are fantastic!! Waaahahahahahaha!"
"Well, this is harsh... I realize it's extremely difficult to ask this of you all when you feel that way, but... Might I have a moment of your time?"
"Ehh, you're from the Irie Institute, aren't you? You're researching some kind of local disease in Nagano or Gifu, right? Uhh, what's going on down there?"
"The board has decided to halt the research for military application. The research project itself is to wrap up within three years as well. Oh, no, sorry, that's still being discussed. Anyhow, our work is scheduled to be shut down within a few years."

“I don't know why, but someone high up kept pushing for it for some reason. Because of that, nobody could really say anything about it and it was left alone. But you know, that guy loved to flirt around with women, so maybe that had something to do with it, wahahahahhahahaha!!"

Is he implying that I slept with Uncle Koizumi?

He's insulting both of us.

But I held my anger in. I can't let myself be bothered by something like this.

“I truly appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule to attend this meeting today."
"Well, I guess they don't give out free sea urchins for nothing, huh? Waahahahahahaha!"

I explained to them how much the Hinamizawa Syndrome mattered while being very careful not to go too fast.

I tried to let them know that the syndrome's potential is not limited to small things like military applications, but is much more meaningful than that.

It may explain ideology and religion.

It may even shake the very definition of a human being. I took my time to explain as slowly and clearly as possible.

I'm not confident that all of it had gotten through to those boorish men, but I'm happy if they understood even just a part of it.

As long as they understand how much of a magnificent discovery Hinamizawa Syndrome really is.

SFX: Crickets

"We would like to discuss among ourselves, so could you please excuse yourself?"
"...Yes. Thank you."

Obviously, they can't discuss in front of me.

I left all the documents with them. All I could do now was hope they viewed them favorably.

But I stopped. ...I shouldn't have done it, but I tried to listen in through the sliding door.

BGM: Requiem for the Disaster

"...I know how you feel, hahahaha. Koizumi-sensei pushed this so strongly..."
"I met him once before, when he became founding director of XX Pharmaceuticals. He seemed like a very intelligent person to me... Hmmm..."
"I guess you just can't win against age! It makes you realize how important it is for humans to know when to pull out."
"But it is a fact that this very rare disease called Hinamizawa Syndrome really exists. So not everything is a delusion..."
"I hear the Irie Institute has already succeeded in identifying the disease and developing a treatment? Isn't that enough?"
"In modern Japan, we have to be careful with things that might make neighboring countries nervous. And military-related issues are the most sensitive ones. So, at the very least, we must erase the fact that research for military purposes has been going on for the past few years immediately."
"Is that separate from simply discontinuing the military research, then?"
"Yes. Even if we stopped it immediately, the fact that this Hinamizawa Syndrome was being researched in order to create a biological weapon remains.”

"That's true. If the disease remains, then sooner or later, someone will become curious about it and dig up the hole we filled. I think we should follow the decision of the board of directors, and as soon as the Irie Institute eradicates this disease, we should have them destroy all evidence of their work before disbanding."
"Hmm... I guess that's for the best. It's not even a matter of a Nobel Prize. It's just useless for post-war Japan."
"Besides, this disease has existed for hundreds of years, right? And we've made it this far without any problems. From the start, I thought this amounted to little more than just poking around in the bushes."
"Me too. I don't doubt the existence of the syndrome, but Dr. Takano, who discovered the disease, is exaggerating more than a little!"
"He had quite a unique interpretation of things. First of all, I've never heard of parasite that's capable of controlling people's thoughts. It's just too much."
"If we tried to explain religions with this, then Buddha, Christ, all those people would be--what was it again? 'Queen carriers'? If we tried exposing something like this, we'd be attacked by every nation on the planet!!"
"Religion is pretty scary nowadays... Wa ha ha ha!!"
"If there are parasites that live in animal brains, then I guess we can say there are parasites that live in human brains too. But for them to control human thoughts? Wahahahahaha!! That's a bit too unique, you know."

This is my first time experiencing this, but it doesn't feel that way.

I don't know why, but the memory is so sad and so painful... Huh? ......Huh? Why... tears?

Before I realized it, I saw a very nostalgic carpeted room on the other side of the sliding door instead of a room covered in tatami mats.

The room is filled with the smell of dust mixed with the smell of some evaporated medicine, but it's very soothing to me just the same.

His article that he poured his heart into was made a mockery of, yet he wasn't even allowed to cry...

This isn't a delusion.

Because within the documents I left with those men, there are a lot of references to the article my grandfather wrote.

So I'm not surprised for my grandfather to be standing right there, explaining it to them himself.

...Together with my tears from seeing the sight of my beloved grandfather,

I watched these men insult and belittle his masterpiece.

I have seen this sight before.

And the sight should have ended there.

But why is it repeating before my eyes?

I can only blankly peek through the sliding door at this strange world where reality and illusion overlap.

"It blends together expectations and delusions, and looks more like fiction than a thesis. I think this will be a big hit once it gets published, you know."
"You're absolutely right! I have a friend who's the head of a publishing company. I bet he'll love this! Wahahahahahaha!!"
"This is not a laughing matter, gentlemen. A huge amount of money was poured into this over the past few years. The worst thing is that the equipment used to gas the villagers in case of an emergency have already been procured. Our people must never learn about this."
"For such a plan to exist is scary enough, but if people find out about this equipment, the whole country will turn against us. On top of that, the cost to maintain this equipment is enormous!!"
"You don't really think it's being maintained, do you? Surely this whole project is some kind of money laundering scheme. What did they say, anyway?”

"Exactly! Someone actually believed such a childish story and put a huge amount of money into it. Now that's crazy! What's truly ridiculous is that someone actually took these documents seriously!"

As he said that, he placed the documents down with an exaggerated gesture.

Actually, I should say he slammed them down.

Because the papers ended up scattered all over the floor.

"You're too right, wahahahahaha!! Ah, excuse me, I need to use the bathroom."

SFX: Shrine Bells

And they weren't the papers on the tatami mats, but the ones on the carpet.

Right there, I can see my grandfather filled with heart-rending sadness. Yet, he can't let it show on his face.

Grandfather's expression didn't change.

...Yet, it seemed distorted to me. I could see the walls of my grandfather's study crumpling and twisting behind him.

BGM: Hollow (Uro)

I jumped into the room.

I grabbed onto the man's legs. I don't hate him.

No, it's not whether I hate him or not. Sure, I hate him, but that's not it.

I just can't forgive the feet stepping on my grandfather's article.

"...Uh, oh... sorry......"

Those feet are still stepping on the papers. I tried to make them move.

But they won't even budge, as though they've grown roots.

So I begged as I grabbed onto his legs.

I tried to pull the papers from under his feet. But I can't move his feet. I can't pull the papers.

"Don't step on them... don't step on them... My grandpa's... don't ...don't step on them..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
All these events one right after the other really sells Takano's desperation. She went from being handed everything she needed to having it all taken away. I really do love the emphasis on post-war Japan and the post-war values

The Gentlemieu
Jan 1, 2013
Soiled Meat
I'm surprised the concept of symbiosis hasn't come up. If this parasite could be modified to produce feelings of elation and confidence instead of anxiety and paranoia... Imagine an effective cure for depression. Or even just fatigue.

There's lots of ways to spin this beyond just curing an illness or mind control.

I think the best part of this entire situation is that the audience could interpret the parasite nonsense as a cop-out to the whole mystery. It wasn't necessary at all; human nature doesn't need a parasite to justify it's bad behavior. The harder the author leans in the disease, the sadder the situation becomes.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I must say, Takano makes an awfully big leap in logic from parasites being partially responsible for Oyashiro worship to parasites being the cause of all religions. She starts from a conclusion of "Hinamizawa Syndrome is incredibly important," and guides her actions and research with that conclusion in mind. It's not a good attitude for a scientific researcher to have. While I sympathize with Takano's trauma about her grandfather and the research being disparaged, I find it understandable that the big-wigs don't take her research seriously. I didn't consider this before now, but I guess Takano is basically a mad scientist villain. I won't be surprised if the next shard literally has her say "They don't take me seriously! I'll show them all!"

Is this really the intended order for reading the shards? It's a little confusing how they jump back and forth in the timeline. I can still follow along more or less, but I wish they were in chronological order.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 5, 2023

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Mountaineer posted:

I must say, Takano makes an awfully big leap in logic from parasites being partially responsible for Oyashiro worship to parasites being the cause of all religions. She starts from a conclusion of "Hinamizawa Syndrome is incredibly important," and guides her actions and research with that conclusion in mind. It's not a good attitude for a scientific researcher to have. While I sympathize with Takano's trauma about her grandfather and the research being disparaged, I find it understandable that the big-wigs don't take her research seriously. I didn't consider this before now, but I guess Takano is basically a mad scientist villain. I won't be surprised if the next shard literally has her say "They don't take me seriously! I'll show them all!"

Is this really the intended order for reading the shards? It's a little confusing how they jump back and forth in the timeline. I can still follow along more or less, but I wish they were in chronological order.

Granted it's been a few years, but iirc there's not a strict recommended order but it does jump around in the timeline. I don't think your conclusion is without merit--in fact it's probably very well justified. We have the meta knowledge that "Oyashiro-sama exists", so we can extend some extra sympathy to Takano, but from a real-life perspective she's definitely jumping to conclusions. We can understand why that is, but yes, she is also taking things too far. I think that's part of the tragedy, really. What would happen if Takano seriously engaged Rika on the topic, for example? But she never would, because of her own stubbornness and pride.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Mountaineer posted:

Like mycelia said, there is no intended reading order, just certain fragments that are blocked off from the reader until the meet the conditions to read them. Often, they're fragments that need context from another fragment to understand properly, and among those some require fragments from vague or disparate periods in time in order to be unlocked. Trying to read these in a chronological order may work for most of the fragments, but at the end of the day I'd still have to jump around occasionally.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

:siren: Content warning for depiction of child abuse.

VIDEO: Fragment 32 | Footsteps in the fourth year

SFX: Night Higurashi

The situation between my aunt and Satoko remains the same.

My aunt yells at Satoko for no reason every night.

Although Satoko cries, she still talks back to her.

So my aunt's yelling goes on and on forever.

Satoko's crying goes on and on too.

She hides behind my back and tries to ignore my aunt's yelling. She always comes to seek my help.

...Satoko doesn't open up to anyone, but me.

So if I don't protect her, she'll be devastated.

That security is something our parents didn't grant to Satoko. I have to be the one to provide it.

Every time Satoko cries, every day, day after day.

...Satoko grabbed on to me while crying yesterday.

I patted her head. But, along with pity, a different emotion came to me.

No, it's not that I can't think it. I just can't acknowledge that feeling.

Since that day, there has been someone else inside of me.

That someone is trying to eat me up from the inside and switch places with me.

SFX: Higurashi

Leave me alone. Don't grab on to me. Go away!! No, no, no, no, I can't, I can't, I can't!!!

To prevent him from taking over my body, I clenched my stomach and drove him out. ...I managed to do that.

That person is coming after me, trying to get back inside of me.

I won't let such a scary thing get back inside of me.

He knows there's no room to slip into my heart as long as I keep it held shut like this.

......So, he's stopped trying and instead is following right behind me. He's waiting for me to let my guard down.

When I walk... he walks right behind me. He's breathing down my neck.

He follows me everywhere and when I lie down, he stares down at me.

He's waiting for the right moment to jump back inside of me, so he can hurt Satoko.

It's been so hot lately.

Maybe the heat is getting to me, and that's why I think things like this.

...So I'll have to protect her from my aunt for the rest of my life. That's my eternal duty...

The rest of my life? Forever? Do I really have to do that forever?

If only Satoko...

But I'm her only family...

But...

It's because of my aunt...

But it's because of the villagers too...

BGM: Soak
SFX: Silence

Some irresponsible people are saying that the curse will once again fall upon Hinamizawa.

They're also saying it'll fall upon me and Satoko for sure.

...Maybe it's just my imagination, but lately the villagers "expecting it" are giving me especially sharp looks.

Of course, there is no reason why I would be killed, and it's just my imagination. Ah, slap, slap, slap, slap. Don't come inside of me...

Satoko is my only sister and my family, so don't tell me those awful things... Slap, slap, slap, slap, stop, stop, don't come this way, don't come this way!!! The footsteps came up right behind me, and the hand touched me on the shoulder...!!!

"A...... Are you okay? Are you?"

I must have been acting weird. Rena looked worried.

Her name is Rena Ryuugu. She just moved here and transferred to my school.

Nobody remembers her, but supposedly she lived here in Hinamizawa a long time ago.

In fact, she hardly remembers anything about Hinamizawa either.

Since Mion is the only other classmate who is my age, I'm glad she's my friend.

She usually carries on happily alongside Mion, but occasionally she shows more feminine consideration.

"Thank you. I'm okay. Do I look sick or something?"
"Yep."

Her immediate answer made me realize I wasn't myself.

"......Is it about Satoko-chan? ...Are you worried?"
"No... that isn't it."

She knows that my problem isn't physical, but a mental one.

This is just something I think to myself, but even though Rena seems like a very easygoing person, maybe she's more perceptive than she appears.

Although she just transferred, she already knows quite a bit about me and my sister, and also about the situation with the villagers.

But... talking about it won't solve anything.

Actually, if I talk about it, I feel like I'd be admitting to my weakness, which might give that person a chance to get inside of me again...

"You were so surprised just now. That's why I thought something really serious was bothering you... Hauu..."
"Oh, that...... ahahaha. Lately, I feel like someone is following me all the time…….Pit, pit, pat, pat. I thought that was you... Ahahahahaha, sorry. I don't even know what I'm talking about anymore."

"...Eh?"

SFX: Shrine Bells

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Mountaineer posted:

I'm not quite sure that's the leap that's made there by Takano (any one), it's mainly the suits that are going "oh if we were to accept Hinamizawa Syndrome being caused by a parasite, then we have to worry about how it'd look for all the other religions, because we don't want to piss off any other nations". Basically they're going slippery-slope reasoning as to why they have to discount the base research.

It's been a bit for me as well, but I'm pretty sure we're reading most of the shards as we hit the unlock requirements.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Cyouni posted:

I'm not quite sure that's the leap that's made there by Takano (any one), it's mainly the suits that are going "oh if we were to accept Hinamizawa Syndrome being caused by a parasite, then we have to worry about how it'd look for all the other religions, because we don't want to piss off any other nations". Basically they're going slippery-slope reasoning as to why they have to discount the base research.

Nah, it's definitely Takano's theory:

Miyo Takano posted:

This is not mere research on the existence of an unknown parasite, but something that may overthrow the basic foundations of anthropology.

A Nobel Prize wouldn't even be enough.

[...]

I tried to let them know that the syndrome's potential is not limited to small things like military applications, but is much more meaningful than that.

It may explain ideology and religion.

It may even shake the very definition of a human being. I took my time to explain as slowly and clearly as possible.

I'm not confident that all of it had gotten through to those boorish men, but I'm happy if they understood even just a part of it.

As long as they understand how much of a magnificent discovery Hinamizawa Syndrome really is.

The big leap Takano makes is extrapolating that parasites could explain all religion and human behavior even though the parasite and its symptoms have only been observed in one small, remote village. Maybe certain parasites could be the cause of religious beliefs, but that's purely wild speculation without evidence that such parasites exist anywhere other than Hinamizawa. It's terribly unscientific, and Takano is too biased to realize that

I think the suits are simply reacting to that theory when they talk about not wanting to upset religious establishments.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 5, 2023

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Mountaineer posted:

Nah, it's definitely Takano's theory:

The big leap Takano makes is extrapolating that parasites could explain all religion and human behavior even though the parasite and its symptoms have only been observed in one small, remote village. Maybe certain parasites could be the cause of religious beliefs, but that's purely wild speculation without evidence that such parasites exist anywhere other than Hinamizawa. It's terribly unscientific, and Takano is too biased to realize that

I think the suits are simply reacting to that theory when they talk about not wanting to upset religious establishments.

The point is more that it could explain, but it's not a guarantee, and would need to be researched more - really no different than "based upon this evidence, this is a possibility". Basically the idea is that it has further-reaching research implications beyond just "we can use it to kill more people".

risky business
Oct 9, 2012

Barns?
The thing, I think, is that Takano doesn't really care what the theories explain or don't explain. She's interested in continuing this work because of her grandfather and the fact she's invested so much time to follow after him, but I don't think she cares if it's a weapon or a cure or an explanation for religion - so long as it's noticed. I'd wondered for a while now why she had so many false and overdramatic explanations written out when she knows the truth, but it's starting to make sense. Her key point isn't the truth. It's just being seen, and known.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

:siren: Content warning for discussion of child abuse.

VIDEO: Fragment 35 | Formation of a club

SFX: Bell

BGM: Two, Alone (Futari. Hitori.)

The values of grownups don't apply.

Children decide their own values and create their own world.

So the rules of the grown-up world, of the village, don't mean anything here.

Even when the villagers badmouth the Houjou family and try to isolate them... that has no meaning at our school.

In the children's world, children decide the rules.

Rules they think are irrational don't exist here.

That's why, as the representative for the children here, I vow that I will never let any irrational rules come into our world.

In the very beginning, some boys teased Satoko, but they were punished severely, and it hasn't happened ever since.

That's the least I can do to resist the madness of the village.

So I hope Satoshi and Satoko both feel that the school is a safe place for them.

Satoshi must notice my concern, because he often smiles when he's here.

However, I never see Satoko smile...

...Satoko's classmates used to try to cheer her up, but soon after, they decided that it was best to just leave her alone.

I used to try to talk to her... but when I realized something, I stopped doing that.

To Satoko, I'm one of her enemies, so I'm sure she feels uncomfortable to have me around her.

All I can do is to watch over her.

That's why Satoko is alone in the classroom.

That said, Rika-chan is always hanging around with her, even though Satoko told her she was annoying. Satoshi, too, is always beside her.

These two are the only ones who remain by her side.

Because their hysterical aunt is so hostile towards her neighbors, there's nobody who sympathizes with her.

...It's wise to know there are fights worth picking and also fights better set aside.

If the aunt had even a little tolerance or self control, this isolation wouldn't have continued.

Of course, the villagers were the ones who forced them into that role, even though they weren't related to the issue.

But if she had stayed quiet, then it wouldn't have gone so far.

The aunt's hostility is one thing, but she's dragging everyone in the family into it as well.

The uncle and the aunt haven't been getting along, and he hardly comes home.

Both Satoshi and Satoko are forced to live in shame.

The aunt vents her stress by harassing Satoko.

The aunt is her guardian, after all, but Satoko doesn't even try to hide her disgust, so things aren't going smoothly between them.

If she had behaved like Satoshi, then she wouldn't have been made into a target.

So does that mean the sad life Satoko is living right now is something she caused herself?

...No, it doesn't.

But no matter how much I sympathize and how much I want to help her, nobody knows what to do.

An apology won't change the situation.

The flow can't be reversed.

The fact that the Houjou family is ostracized by the entire village can't be changed.

That's the horribleness lurking underneath our lives.

...The neighbors, the village, and the community.

Once they become your enemies, the world can become so cruel.

...Japanese people have known that since ancient times, which is why we cultivated empathy and an obligation to show courtesy to one's neighbors.

No matter who I blame, Satoko won't smile.

So the only thing I can do is to watch over her and make sure that she's safe when she's at school.

"...Eh? Ahahaha, sorry, what?"
"Mmph. I just want to thank you for being so concerned about Satoko."

Satoshi kind of appears absent-minded, but sometimes he says things as if he can read your thoughts.

I tried to deny it since it's out of character for me, but he smiled as if he could tell exactly what I was thinking.

"Satoko's just forgotten how to smile. ...When she's at school... she can let go of a little tension for a while. I'm sure she treasures that time."
"Ahahahahaha... That's basically the only thing this ol' man can do for her..."
"...That's not true. I really appreciate it."
"Stop that. ...You don't need to say that.”
”Besides, my family is the one who's causing all this grief."
"...I don't think that way. I really don't."

Satoshi knows that he and his family are being isolated because of the Sonozakis, and he's, of course, aware that I am a member of the Sonozaki family too.

Satoshi is mature, and that's the only reason he doesn't take it out on me.

If he had the same temper as his aunt, he would hate me bitterly.

Knowing that, the least I can do is not get close to them.

....But I'm a meddlesome person, and when I see Satoko looking depressed or Satoshi forcing himself to smile, I have to do something.

...That might be even more troublesome to Satoshi and Satoko though.

"...Why?"
"My family is causing Satoko grief. So for me, a member of that family, to hang around her... Is that the right thing to do?"
"Sure. That's you being you."
"What do you mean by that? Are you saying I'm insensitive?"
"Hmm... I don't mean that. ...If this atmosphere itself is robbing Satoko of her smile... then only someone who can completely ignore it can bring her smile back."
"...Th-This ol' man can't tell if you're trying to compliment him or not. You're mean, ahahaha!"

"...Eh?"
"...I can't make Satoko smile again by myself. I need someone like you to help me."
"B-But... I'm... Mion Sonozaki, you know? If I do something insensitive, I might end up hurting Satoko even more..."
"Satoko is already lonely... Are you going to leave her alone too?"
"........."

Satoko is a very important person to him.

He's saying he needs my help to make her smile again.

But still... No... Maybe he's right.

What's going on between the Sonozaki family and the Houjou family is an issue among the grownups. We children don't need to care about that.

The irrational rules of the grownups don't mean anything in our world.

...So I have to object to the irrationality of the grownup world using methods of my own.

"She may, at first. But I'll be with you. I'll be with you, Mion. So she'll open up right away."
"Y-You think so...?! ......Should we do something after school today?"
"If we go home first, our aunt might say something, and we might not be able to leave."
"Okay, then it's simple. Don't go home first."
"But if we get home too late, she'll ask us what we were doing..."

BGM: Beyond the Skies (Sora no Mukou) [Piano]

"A club?"
"Yeah. Tell her you are going to an after-school club. Tell her that you're doing something after school before going home. There are plenty of people who go out after school before they go home. That'll be no problem!!"
"Ah, but... if we mess up our clothes, our aunt will say..."
"Okay, then we'll do something indoors! Then your clothes will stay clean."
"Indoors? Do you mean in the classroom? But wouldn't Chie-sensei say something?"

“Some of the manuals are written in English and are a little complicated, while with some of them I need someone to play with, so a lot of them are just sitting in the storage room."
"Do you think Satoko can play those too?"
"Sure!! Ahaha, if you don't know the rules, then you just make them up! As long as everyone is following the same rules, it's totally okay!"

I said it so confidently, but would bringing games from home and asking Satoko to play with us actually make her smile again?

...What have I got to lose? ...Maybe I'll bring one of the board games tomorrow.

"What? This ol' man is all ears!"

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
How does the Reina Rena 'icky' thing work in kanji?

killer_robot fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 7, 2023

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

killer_robot posted:

How does the Reina Rena 'icky' thing work in kanji?

As I recall, it's 'i' for 'iya', 嫌. So basically the same.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

:siren: Content warning for discussion of child abuse.

VIDEO: Fragment 31 | A notice of leave of absence

Satoshi-kun says he wants to quit the Hinamizawa Fighters.

I know very well of Satoshi-kun and Satoko-chan's situation, so I was expecting that he might say this.

When someone from the child consultation center came, of course her aunt behaved herself. ...Then immediately after, her harassment turned even more vicious.

According to the neighbors, the aunt's scolding and Satoko-chan's crying can be heard nightly, and sometimes it goes on past midnight.

Satoko-chan's weekly physical check up results are slowly growing worse, and we're trying to keep her stable by increasing her medication. But... unless her relationship with her aunt improves, she's sure to go terminal, and sink into madness.

...Although, she isn't the type to become deranged, even at the terminal stage.

She's the type who holds everything in, harboring her insanity inside.

Just like she pushed her parents off the cliff two years ago, Satoko-chan may kill her aunt.

Thanks to the Mountain Dogs, the incident was resolved as an accident and Ooishi stepped aside, although he is still suspicious.

If something like that happens again around Satoko-chan... he's sure to investigate her mercilessly.

...I can't do anything more about Satoko-chan's environment changing for worse.

So I'm not surprised to hear that Satoshi-kun wants to quit the baseball team so he can be with his sister more.

BGM: Shadow (Kage)

"...A part-time job? Is there something you want to buy?"
"...Yes. It's almost Satoko's birthday. There's a teddy bear Satoko has been looking at, and I want to get it for her."

That's right.

I remember the birth date on her insurance card.

I think it's June 24th. Right after the Watanagashi festival.

"I see... ...You're such a good brother. I'm sure Satoko-chan will be thrilled!"
"......I hope so."

To him, seeing Satoko-chan being harassed is the same thing as being harassed himself.

His stress can be released through moderate exercise, such as with sports, and also with plenty of rest.

If Satoko-chan is being yelled at nightly, then it's easy to figure out that Satoshi-kun isn't getting enough sleep either.

I don't know what kind of job he's starting, but I don't think he will be able to vent his stress on it.

In fact, I don't like the idea of Satoshi-kun taking a part-time job, because he's already so worn out in every way.

I asked him if he wanted me to help him pay for the present, but of course, he declined the offer.

It's a present from him, so he wants to earn the money himself.

He's taking this part-time job only to earn enough money to buy Satoko-chan's present, so it'll be a temporary thing.

If it's for a short period of time, maybe it won't be that bad.

While I want to stop him from working because I don't want him to get even more stressed, since he says Satoko-chan's birthday is near, I don't think I can stop him.

Satoshi-kun is determined.

If I say any more, I may lose his trust.

So I'll have to accept his leave of absence.

I completely misunderstood his words.

Later I found out he carried around that bat to protect himself... and realized that, even then, he was already showing some dangerous symptoms.

He believed there would be a fourth mysterious death this year and that he would be the victim.

He became obsessed with the idea that someone was after his life.

That is a symptom of Hinamizawa Syndrome's terminal stage.

But although I was involved so deeply with the syndrome, I was careless...

Satoshi-kun had his own bat.

So he should have asked if he could take it home, but instead, he asked if he could borrow it.

When I think about it now, he said it that way to lighten his guilty conscience. But how could I have known then?

"Well... although I can't come to practice... I think I'll have a little time to practice swinging on my own."
"That's great! Sure, please take it with you. But make sure you do it in an open space, okay? If it won't bother your neighbors, it's good practice to hit a hanging tire."

Swinging a bat can release stress.

So letting him take his bat home will help. That's what I thought.

But...... that was a huge mistake.

I realized it only when things were already past the point of no return.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Irie continues to be the worst doctor ever. "Okay, so we have this girl here who went Stage 5 due to unreasonable amounts of stress at her home and has needed medication to function. Her brother, who is also under unreasonable amounts of stress, is acting strange. Wonder if I should do a routine checkup on him? Naaaaaaah."

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

VIDEO: Fragment 16 | Death of Satoshi's aunt

BGM: Ancient Times (Inishie)

That was why we were able to start the investigation immediately by securing the crime scene.

So she's an extremely suitable target for the fourth year's curse of Oyashiro-sama.

She has a horrible reputation among the locals.

After the incident, everyone said she deserved to be cursed.

...I have a general idea of who the culprit must be.

It's probably... Satoshi Houjou. That innocent-looking kid.

There's even a motive.

The deceased abused his sister relentlessly.

So this would be in revenge for that.

Also, when he attended the inspection of the crime scene, he was rather frantic, yet also far too composed, as if he was totally unrelated to the incident. My intuition from many years of police work tells me that eight or nine times out of ten, someone who acts like that is the perp.

I have no concrete proof, but if I question him and shake him up a bit, I have a feeling he'll confess.

"Unless he's a complete fool, I'm sure he's already gotten rid of it by now. If we can find any in the place he says he disposed it in after he fesses up, then we can convince the prosecutor too."

This was pretty insignificant as a standalone case.

...A confession from Satoshi Houjou would end it.

Everyone except me must believe that.

But if I look at it as a part of the series of mysterious deaths, it won't be so easy.

Either the Three Families of the village, or the Sonozaki family alone, is directly involved in this.

If they are the ones pulling the strings, they must have instigated Satoshi Houjou into committing this crime.

The Sonozaki family's actions must remain hidden.

If he could connect them to the crime, would they let him run around freely?

Satoshi Houjou is a loving brother who cares very much for his sister, and they set him up to kill his aunt as the fourth year's curse.

After that... they will eliminate the one person who can connect them to the crime.

......Satoshi Houjou is not just a simple criminal. He was set up.

He disappeared in such a puzzling way.

He didn't run because he was afraid that his crime had come to light.

......Another culprit came into the picture.

He was already arrested for a different crime and furthermore, he died while in prison.

He confessed to information only the culprit himself would have known.

Therefore, he must be the culprit.

But as he's already dead, the investigation was closed.

Then Satoshi Houjou disappeared a few days after the festival.

......It's obvious someone doesn't want Satoshi Houjou to be connected to this incident.

The way this case is closing so rapidly, greatly resembles the same trick used two years ago with the Houjou couple's accident.

......There's no doubt it's the work of someone who can put pressure on the police.

As it happens... the Sonozaki family is the only one who can actually exact influence on the police department here in the Hinamizawa area.

They may think their trails are covered, but this points towards them more clearly than anything.

According to my informant, Oryou Sonozaki mentioned the fourth year's curse at the family meeting and hinted that she was the one behind it all.

...Hinting isn't strong enough evidence, but there is no mistaking that Oryou Sonozaki is the one pulling the strings.

I know they're the ones who did in the old man. But I just can't grab them!!

The principal offender is still on the loose, but I'm sure he's being sheltered somewhere by the Sonozaki family.

...I have to locate him, and find that missing right arm!

I'll return the arm to his grave, and make the principal offender and the masterminds both bow down before it.

I bet he's already been killed and buried somewhere nobody can find. If that's the case, then that's fine. ......I'll make the old bag who ordered someone to kill the old man slam her forehead on the ground before his grave. ...This, I swear...!!

After the fourth year's curse, people are already saying something will happen again next year.

Even with all my preparations, I couldn't prevent the incident from happening this time.

It's too late if something happens.

I must keep my eyes on the core of the village before something takes place.

Because... I'm retiring.

My mother has been wanting to go back to her hometown in Hokkaido, and for a long time, she's been asking me to move there when I retire.

I feel that's the least I can do for her, so I agreed to move to Hokkaido when I retire.

...So next year is my last chance to avenge the old man's death.

It happened four years in a row. So more than likely, there will be a fifth curse too.

As a result of the series of mysterious deaths, the village has been tightly knit together since the dam protests.

They were told that betrayers will be punished in the name of the curse.

...To the masterminds, that's enough reason to continue with the series of mysterious deaths.

According to rumors, this year's victim, the aunt, was cursed because she didn't participate in the Watanagashi festival.

So there are villagers who believe that if they don't participate in next year's Watanagashi, they'll be cursed... It'll be a huge festival next year for sure.

Something will happen.

The series of mysterious deaths in Hinamizawa, also known as the curse of Oyashiro-sama.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

I like the phrasing of the "[x] is required" on the fragments screen. It's so matter-of-fact that it's eerie.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Especially for this update :catstare:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Also, on the topic of Gou/Sotsu, I'm actually enjoying the manga adaptation, especially the most recent chapters which has added some really interesting deviations and I think in general it gets a little more in to Satoko and her motivations and drives home her...everything a little bit better So if you didn't like the anime you might like the manga? It stays real close to the anime until it hits Sotsu, which is called Meguri instead. I'll be curious to see if the deviations lead to a slightly different ending, or at least a different confrontation between Rika and Satoko

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 11, 2023

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Hey guys! Quick update, next fragment may be delayed a day or two more because I've been trying to adjust to getting a part-time job for the past week or so.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Happy Landfill posted:

Also, on the topic of Gou/Sotsu, I'm actually enjoying the manga adaptation, especially the most recent chapters which has added some really interesting deviations and I think in general it gets a little more in to Satoko and her motivations and drives home her...everything a little bit better So if you didn't like the anime you might like the manga? It stays real close to the anime until it hits Sotsu, which is called Meguri instead. I'll be curious to see if the deviations lead to a slightly different ending, or at least a different confrontation between Rika and Satoko

Man, I gotta catch up on that, thanks for the reminder. And good luck with the new job, OP!

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Good luck with the job v:shobon:v

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

VIDEO: Fragment 20 | Disappointment

BGM: Confession

Takano-san has been looking through the viewfinder, but I haven't seen her push the shutter at all.

While she came along, I don't think she's in the mood for bird watching.

Takano-san has been depressed ever since the announcement of the new policies at the board meeting the other day.

It was created so that she can devote her life to researching Hinamizawa Syndrome.

For all that to be tossed aside while being asked to wrap up work within a few years... of course she's depressed.

Besides, she can't even fully spend the rest of the time left on research.

Their funding was being cut in stages, and by the end, they'll barely be able to finish closing up, let alone research anything.

...I heard that she's the granddaughter of the late Dr. Takano.

Her determination to finish her grandfather's research is what kept her going until today.

Since everything has been going so smoothly until recently, this sudden change in the wind's direction must have been a total shock.

The shift in people pulling the strings must be pretty serious.

The board of directors was completely changed out, and she heard that people and projects influenced by the Koizumi faction were being restructured to set an example.

The wind's new direction seems likely to remain for a long time.

It's highly unlikely that the Koizumi faction will come back into power. So no matter what we say, it's almost impossible to expect the same kind of support from them.

Takano-san muttered.

Unfortunately... there isn't. There is nothing anybody can do.

"......At first, the board talked about halting the research immediately. ...But after lots of convincing, they finally agreed to make it a gradual suspension over a few years. The people who helped us when the Irie Institute was first created are the ones who managed that."
"...Hee hee. ...I see. While it looks like the worst-case scenario, it's actually somebody else's hard-earned victory, huh?"
"Three years was the best they could do. I tried too, you know. I used your data to try and explain to the board how important this research is..."
"Only...... three more years, huh?"

Maybe Takano-san doesn't understand how hard I tried to convince them.

Because what she just said tells me the length of time left really doesn't matter to her. The important thing is that her research is being stopped.

The fact is that I couldn't meet her expectations and made her feel disappointed... As a man, it kind of hurts.

"The best I can do at this point is route as much funding as possible towards the research so that you can work to your heart's content for the few years we have left. Sorry... I can't do anything else..."

Her words hurt me.

I wish she'd chosen different ones, but I think that would be asking too much from someone so heartbroken.

I must be understanding of her pain at a time like this.

To her, his death is not just the start of a coup, or a change in direction.

She lost a person who was always looking after her.

No matter how hard she pushed herself to act villainous... ...she wasn't supposed to be part of this world. ...She was just an ordinary woman.

But she was intrigued by Hinamizawa Syndrome, and she had to find help from someone who had more power than her to be able to continue research on it.

...The dark side of the world, the world she should never have gotten involved in, extended its hands out to her.

She was left all by herself in that world, and she's still trying to put on a brave face.

I'm sure Takano-san thinks I'm unreliable.

Realistically, I'm not the kind of person who can meet her expectations. Nor do I have the power to.

The least I can do for her... is stay sincere and remain her ally until the very end.

I wanted to believe she wouldn't, but I'm concerned that she might do something drastic eventually.

I hope I can be of help to her in that very final moment before she makes her move.

But I can't even gain enough trust from her to do that... How pitiful and pathetic.

Of course, part of it is... as a man, I want her to rely on me.

But that's not really it. She's been abandoned in this world and is all alone, so someone has to be her ally.

And if I'm the only one who knows about that, then being her ally is my job.

I know her too well, so I know that she'll never ask for help.

Even if she says it's unnecessary, someone has to be with her. I know that.

I don't really think I'm suited for that job.

I'm sure that there are many reliable people out there who are more appropriate for the position than me.

But I can't let her be alone until that person appears.

"Hm? What's this all of a sudden? What is it, Jirou-san?"
"But I think I can be of help to you. So..."
"Thank you. But I don't believe that talking to people helps you feel better. Sorry. Though I'm happy to hear that you're concerned. I really am."
"...O-Okay. That's fine. I'll always be on your side. Please believe that, okay?"
"Of course I will. If you think of a good idea to convince the board, please let me know, okay?"
"Sure... I'll do my best."

Why is it?

I know she's such a strong person and there's nothing someone like me can do for her.

She looks as tough as ever, but only I, who has been taking pictures of her all this time, can tell.

A viewfinder, after all, is also a window to look into someone's heart.

...But if I say something like that, she'll tease me again, so I won't.

Anyway, ...I never thought she needed support more strongly than I do right now…

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

VIDEO: Fragment 33 | Preview of lots for sale

BGM: Baby's Walk (Rika)

My name is Ichirou Maebara, and I am hopelessly lost.

I came to Hinamizawa on a tour to find a lot for a vacation home.

When the realtor finished explaining some details, he told us to take a walk until the departure time.

Such beautiful scenery and fresh air... I let my senses guide me and... Here I am. Where am I?

This is basically the middle of nowhere, but people actually do live here.

If I keep walking, I should run into somebody. Then I can ask for directions.

Don't worry, ha ha ha. The only thing I need to keep in mind is the departure time for the bullet train.

But the more time passes, the more I start to think I was being too optimistic about running into somebody.

...Because I can't find anybody at all.

Maybe I'm walking farther and farther away from where people are, in which case I'm in serious trouble.

So upon hearing someone's voice, I feel immensely relieved.

It sounds like little girls are playing nearby.

If it's a place where little kids can play, it must be a safe village. I followed those voices.

BGM: Beyond the Skies (Sora no Mukou) [Piano]

Two girls are playing there.

The two girls are dancing in the field filled with blooming wild flowers. What I'm seeing is more beautiful than all of the great works of art I've ever seen put together. Maybe I'm exaggerating, but this looks holier than any religious painting...

Why is it that seeing innocent girls dance around like this makes people feel this way?

...It's probably because we're sinners.

You can't live with pleasure and glory alone. ...We sin, even as we live.

That's why we feel awed by the sight of innocence. It reminds us of the time when we were pure.

We grow up naturally and we lose innocence as we do... And we admire and adore the children who symbolize that which we've lost.

"...Eh? Aaah!! Ahh, aah, s-sorry!! I'm not suspicious! Wahahahaha...!!"
"......But you've been staring at my chest and legs. Nipah~☆."
"N-No, no! I'm not! Don't turn me in! I really wasn't staring! I was using this mirror to fix my hair!!"
"...Ahahahahaha. I don't know what you're talking about, but it sure sounds interesting."
"......Like father, like son."

Realizing that whatever I said would backfire, I decided to leave them alone and sat down to watch them play.

...I wonder how old they are.

They seem rather young, but maybe they could be close to Keiichi's age.

If we move here, Keiichi might meet them at school.

If he would see them at school, then... ...they were girls that lived here.

If all the children in Hinamizawa are like them, then even if living a rural life may have some challenges... there's a good reason for us to move here.

We didn't understand what Keiichi was going through, and left him alone until the very end.

According to the parenting book I bought, the first few problems are calls for help.

It doesn't matter what the action itself is, but the fact that those actions are occuring is a primitive appeal from the child seeking communication.

...Humans can speak, and that's one of the reasons why we don't notice such signs.

We can only hear words through our ears, and we can't sense the signs coming from our son's heart.

Keiichi... probably thinks it's all his fault.

...Of course, he's not absent of blame.

Humans aren't dogs or cats.

We should know what's right and what's wrong.

But... it's our fault too, as his parents.

To let him think that he had to go that far for us to be able to understand him is really pathetic and disappointing of us.

If we had understood him and hadn't cornered him, Keiichi wouldn't have done that.

So the incidents weren't only Keiichi's fault. Everyone in the Maebara family was to blame.

I want to explain that to him, but he's still too young and hotheaded to be able to understand.

Right now, the guilt he's feeling is basically crushing him under its weight. He doesn't even have the will to live.

My wife is the same. ...She's blaming herself for forcing him to study for better grades. She thinks that's why the incidents took place.

And I'm no different. I'm blaming myself for not being involved in my son's education. I think that's why the incidents took place.

The cross will be forever on our shoulders, even after the injured child accepts our apologies.

Yet our cold society would tell us to die under the weight of that cross.

We have to accept our sins and carry our burdens on our shoulders.

Maybe we can start a new life here in this village.

...I thought about all that as I watched the girls dance.

Keiichi needs friends like them.

Friends like those girls will offer him so much more than the friends who only talked about cram schools and exam results.

It's a sign about lots for sale, and the name of the realtor who brought me here for the tour is written on it.

...Does that mean we can live even in this beautiful area if we want to?

One of the girls spoke as if reading my mind.

"Yeah, that's right. I think so too."
"......But I think you'll bring some things from the city to this village that we don't have."
"Do we have anything?"

"......We've lived in this village for hundreds of years just like this. Nobody comes to visit, and nothing happens. ...And so, nothing ever changes."
"Isn't that what's good about this place?"
"......Didn't you come here because you wanted to change something?"
"Yeah... you're right about that."
"...We want new people to come here too. It's like breaking the dam that keeps the swamp water from flowing out. Water is purified by moving. If it stays motionless, then it's just a swamp."
"In fact, this village used to be named after a swamp up until the Meiji era. ...But the name was changed to 'Hinamizawa'. The water in a swamp stagnates because it doesn't flow, but the water in a stream stays fresh."

Are they playing riddles with me?

I have no idea what they're trying to say.

But there's one thing I know. The villagers are waiting for new people to come here, and they want to build a future with those newcomers.

I looked at the sign behind the girls one more time. So that I'd remember this place.

I've already decided.

A raspy voice from the distance ended this innocent moment.

It's the realtor.

I guess he's been looking for me because I didn't return.

"Sorry about that! I got lost."

I apologized while scratching my head.

I turned around to look for the girls, but they weren't there anymore.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Wait. What the? Keiichi's perv father can meaningfully interact with Hanyuu?

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

VIDEO: Fragment 34 | New wind

BGM: Iru

"Hey, Mion-chan. Are you going home? I have to give my clients a ride."
"A ride? Ah, you're talking about your realtor business, huh?"

However, since all the land is out here in the countryside, it just ends up sitting there.

Recently, the land owned by the Sonozaki family was put on sale in lots.

At the family meeting, some of our relatives opposed the idea by saying we shouldn't sell off land that was handed down from our ancestors. But Granny snapped and shut them right up.

Some of the unused fields were made into vacant lots and released for public sale.

Actually, I had some questions about it too.

The Sonozaki family is very wealthy.

We have plenty of land, as well as money.

So why did we have to sell it off?

What's more surprising to me is that Granny was the one who came up with the idea.

I would have thought she'd get furious if someone even mentioned something like that.

"Sure, thank you very much! So how is your business going?"
"I'm surprised there are actually city folks who are interested! They must be those nouveau riche types who live in the big city, yet also want a house in the countryside."
"Well, I guess some people are curious!"
"There's one family seeking to move here, not purchase a villa. He said he wants to build a studio, so he must be an artist of some sort."
"Ho! That's great!"
"Oh, gosh! I better go now!"

Supposedly, he planned a tour to show them the lots, and he's the one driving the bus.

It should be about time for the tour and explanations to end.

He left in a hurry.

"I don't like newcomers and I don't like big city people either. ...But the village needs them. It's like ventilating a room."
"Is it good for the village to have new people move in?"
"This is a wonderful village. But the world is changing quickly. In the past, a very small change took ten or even twenty years to happen. It was such a quiet and unchanging village."
"Well, that's rural life. In this village, nothing is different from yesterday and today. ...It's too boring for me, though!"
"But you made a friend, didn't you? Rena Ryuugu-chan moved here and you got along great. You told me you were happy that you had a friend your age."
"Yeah. Making friends unexpectedly is fun."
"I remember you saying that school is boring when Rena-chan is absent. Do you remember that? Heh heh heh heh!"
"Are you saying that's the good thing about letting new people move here?"
"...No matter how cold it gets, you still have to ventilate your living space. Otherwise, it gets filled with bad air and you'll suffocate to death. You open the window, even knowing the freezing cold air will come in."

"Sure. It lets fresh air in and gets rid of bad air like us."

If I bring up the Houjou family, I know Granny will explode, so I won't.

But... I think what Granny is trying to say includes things like their ongoing isolation.

Even now, when she remembers about what happened at that explanatory meeting, she gets really upset. But I guess even she feels that needs to come to an end.

But, of course, she can't just say she'll forgive them, not when she's at this stubborn age.

She can't lose face by openly saying they need to be forgiven.

......Honestly, I think she's behaving like a little schoolgirl who actually likes a person but treats them rudely when they're around.

...Maybe people really do go back to being children when they get old enough.

I'm not just talking about Granny. The same can be said about all of the old people in the village.

...No, maybe I should say the evil around here.

That must be what she meant by bad air.

There's no use circulating the air in a closed room.

Unless you open the windows and let fresh air in, the air in the room won't be purified.

"Just Rena-chan moving here changed you, Mion. Whoever moves here will change this village. If possible, I hope some young and energetic people who have the charisma to lead will appear. They need to be the ones to put us old people away into Heaven."
"Heh heh heh, are you thinking about Gramps?"
"drat you, nobody's thinking about him! Here, have the housekeeper put away the tea set on the veranda."
"Okay, okay. I will!"

"Hmm?"
"...The day Houjou Satoshi disappeared, you came to me, huh?"
"Ah, yeah, I guess I did... Aha ha ha."
"That is... what woke me up. This problem with the Houjou family, we can't just let time take care of it. We have to take care of it ourselves as soon as possible."
"But you can't do it yourself, so you're going to have an outsider take care of it?"
"...That's the best I can do."
"No matter how bad your hand is, the next card can change the flow of the game. So maybe it's a good idea to draw cards from the stack."

"That's the epitome of leaving your problems to others. You're the one who started the fire, and you're trying to have your grandchild take care of it?"
"...Oh, don't say that. As the new leader of the Sonozaki family, bring the new wind into the village."
"...If you're saying that's my job as your successor..."
"Please, Mion. I'm too old. The only thing I can do now is to be despised by people."

Maybe that's a sign to let us know a cool breeze is on the way…

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Excellent voice acting from Satoshi in this segment, watch the video if you have the chance.

VIDEO: Fragment 8 | The fourth sacrifice

Because the fourth mysterious death in a row, which everyone believed would happen, actually did.

All the villagers feel rather satisfied about this incident, saying the curse finally fell on her for being a local troublemaker.

But I know the truth.

When I saw the beaten up body at the crime scene, I knew Satoshi-kun was responsible for it.

Her abuse towards Satoko-chan was getting worse and worse.

Satoshi-kun wanted to protect her.

So he brought home a baseball bat.

All the signs were there. So I didn't even need to hear it from Satoshi-kun.

BGM: Gray

I felt bad for the Houjou siblings, who had no one on their side, so I tried to be their ally.

...In the end, I failed to be any help to them...

He's never called me before.

What happened?

Does he want me to help him?

If so, I will. I truly feel that way.

"Oh, don't worry. What can I do for you?"
"Umm... I can't think of anyone else who has a car..."
"A car? Sure, I have one."
"I'm in front of a toy store in Okinomiya. Not the one owned by Mion's uncle, but the other one by the dentist's office."
"Sure, I know where it is."
"I found a teddy bear for Satoko's birthday... but... mmph. It's too big to put on my bicycle."
"Too big? Ah ha ha ha, Satoshi-kun, how big is this teddy bear?"
"......Mmph."

I guess he didn't think about it and went to the toy store on his bicycle. Now he's stuck.

That's so typical of him. I can't help but smile warmly.

In other words, he can't carry both the bicycle and the teddy bear, so he wants me to come pick him up.

SFX: Cars

The teddy bear is so big that Satoshi-kun can hardly wrap his arms around it.

If he puts it on his lap in the passenger seat, he won't be able to see anything.

We loaded the bicycle in the back seat and stuffed the teddy bear in the trunk.

"...Ah... yeah, I guess."

At first, I thought he was sweating because of the heat.

...But he's acting oddly.

As if he has a high fever and his consciousness is coming and going.

"......I guess, well... I think... I have a cold."
"That's not good. Do you want to swing by the clinic? I'll give you a checkup."
"...Thank you... Huff... huff......"

When he called earlier, he didn't sound this way.

Did he become ill all of a sudden?

"......Huff... ...huff... ......huff... ......"

His face is turning pale. I can tell he has a high fever.

A teddy bear this size can't be that cheap.

For him to earn enough money in such a short period of time, he must've worked hard and long hours.

Maybe he felt relieved now that he got the teddy bear he had wanted to buy.

...It's not unusual for a person to collapse after reaching his big goal.

SFX: Cars

"...I'm proud of you for earning enough money to buy such a huge teddy bear. Satoko-chan will be so happy."
"............I... hope so..."
"I'm sure she will be! I guarantee it!!"
"......Our aunt is gone. ...Our uncle isn't coming back... There's nobody who can hurt her in any way anymore...... right?"
"That's right. There won't be anyone who can hurt her. So you can relax now..."
"......Our aunt is gone... right? She died... right...?"
"Yes. She is dead. I performed the autopsy. There can be no mistake. She'll never abuse Satoko-chan again."
"......Are you sure? Did you really confirm that she's dead?"
"Yes. I sure did."
"......So... even if I see someone... who looks just like her...... it's not her, right? ...It's not like she was actually alive and recovered, right?"
"No. That's not possible. She'll never come back to us."

Of course, the car passed by so quickly that I couldn't see her face. But no matter how much she looks like her, it's impossible for her to be alive.

"Calm down, Satoshi-kun. Your aunt is dead. So no matter how much she looks like her, it's not your aunt."
"But... she looks just like her, look... No, it must be her... That's my aunt... She's...... I killed her... I bashed her head in... repeatedly... why? ...Why.........?!"

I can only try to stay calm and drive.

Satoshi-kun is losing his cool.

He's delusional. He's seeing his aunt coming back from the dead.

BGM: Single (Hitoe)

Satoshi-kun...... is displaying symptoms of the terminal stage...!

...I need to examine him once I get to the clinic.

It's different from Satoko-chan's case.

We already have the cure. We can treat Satoshi-kun.

If I talk to the Mountain Dogs, they'll take care of the murder of his aunt.

So I can both save him from going terminal and give him back his peaceful days with Satoko-chan.

He was deranged until just a minute ago, but now he's gone quiet.

...He didn't fall asleep.

I must get to the clinic while Satoshi-kun remains in this calm state.

There's no guarantee that he won't attack me while I'm driving.

...As if he knows what is going through my mind, Satoshi-kun spoke to me quietly.

"There is no curse. Please try to stay focused."
"......Satoko, sorry... Until just before I bought the teddy bear... I was thinking about running away... That's why... Oyashiro-sama got angry... I'm a failure... as a big brother... I'm... I'm......"
"You don't need to say anything. Close your eyes and get some rest. We'll get to the clinic soon. Then I'll give you some medicine, okay?"
"...I feel like... there are maggots in my blood... It itches..."
"Don't scratch!! Don't claw at your throat!!"

I slammed the brakes, and stopped the car.

Satoshi-kun has already started to claw at his throat. I can't stop him by myself. I asked for some help through the intercom.

Maybe Satoshi-kun was surprised to see so many people at once, because he started to resist.

......I don't even need to run tests, he's at L5.

He's reached the terminal stage, and his thoughts must be filled with delusions.

Maybe he thinks that the staff members want to kill him.

The staff members pinned his arms and legs down and gave him a shot to put him to sleep.

"....C-Coach, Coach, please, help me...!!!"
"Don't worry. I'll make you better, so please relax."

Please take care of Satoko.

After saying those words, he fell unconscious.

"...Satoshi-kun suddenly displayed symptoms... Considering the amount of stress he's been under, it was just a matter of time. Or... maybe he was holding it back until he bought the teddy bear."
"It's interesting that somehow we always find a live specimen around Watanagashi. Do you think it's the curse of Oyashiro-sama? Hee hee hee."

I don't have time to listen to her nonsense.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Man, poor Satoshi :smith:

edit: honestly it's kind of surprising he didn't hit terminal sooner

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 24, 2023

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Tsundere Oryou is still the funniest image.

Guess it runs in the family?

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

VIDEO: Fragment 36 | Keiichi Maebara

BGM: Thanks

"Keiichi, don't say stuff like that. The people in this area love coming here."

That was my first impression of the Hinamizawa Branch School.

No matter how I look at it, it doesn't look like a school at all. It even has a sign that says "Hinamizawa Forestry Service"...

Said the man they called the principal as he laughed heartily.

"Ah...yes!"

I heard all the grades are put in the same classroom at this school. I didn't believe it, but I think it really is true.

They're all younger than I am, so I guess it'll be like kindergarten.

...Though it'll be interesting compared to my previous school where everyone looked the same age!

"If you transfer here, you will be the oldest boy in the class. So you'll have to be a good role model for the younger students. The younger students have the tendency to copy bad habits from the older ones. I'll be keeping my eyes on you too, so make sure you're aware of that, okay?"
"I-I understand. I'll do my best."
"Keiichi, what she means is that textbooks aren't the only things you learn from. As a member of the class and also as an older student, you have to be a good example."
"I know that already...!"

Since we're all still growing, I'm sure our sizes are very different.

There are some desks that are way too small for me to even put my legs under, and also some that are just perfect for me.

But since all the different grades are in the same room, I'm sure it's very lively.

There's also a wall full of calligraphy and art from different grades.

It's all pretty exciting. Nothing like my previous school.

...It reminds me of the days when I truly enjoyed my school life.

"I think my son likes it here. I want him to go to this school too."

Even while saying that, Chie-sensei looked happy to hear that a new student would be transferring into her class.

My father and the teachers went back to the teacher's office to get the transfer process going.

In the meantime, I decided to stay in the classroom and look around.

I'd lost the will to live because of what I did.

I didn't have any willpower, and I couldn't even get out of bed.

So when my parents told me about the move, ...I thought that wouldn't change anything.

I want to restart my life. I want to restart my life and become someone I've always wanted to be.

Here in Hinamizawa and at this school, I can do that.

I'm not going back to who I was.

I'll never again think that good grades are the most important thing in this world.

I have a feeling that I can learn the things that are really important in life here at this school. I never had the chance to learn them before now.

It's almost embarrassing to put into words, but they're extremely valuable things, and if you don't learn them, you won't become a decent adult.

How to make friends.

How to play with friends.

To play. Things you can only learn from play.

Things like socializing with others. Etc. Etc.

It seems so easy. But it'll take me a while to learn them.

I pushed those things aside and devoted myself to studying.

I'm not trying to say studying isn't important. But you shouldn't become blinded by it.

If someone says studying and good grades are the most important things in life, he's talking bullshit!

...So I can restart my life here at this school.

Finally, I can become someone I've always wanted to be.

I noticed two girls looking in at me through the window.

The schoolyard must also be a playground for these children, because I saw a lot of them playing there earlier. I guess those two noticed me walking around the classroom and became curious.

I guess that's natural. I'm a stranger to them.

Should I say hello and let them know that I'm starting school next Monday?

"......Yes, he is, but his die rolls a one far too often."
"Au au au... that's not Keiichi's fault though."
"......It's all your fault, Hanyuu. It's because of you. Apologize to Keiichi."
"Au au au au au..."
"Eh? Do you know my name?"

She said my name, didn't she? ...Did I hear her wrong? I've never met her before.

"Eh? Ah... ah! Nice to meet you! I'm Keiichi Maebara. I'm starting next Monday. Take care of me, okay?"
"Au au au☆. Sure thing!"
"......Here is a message for you, Keiichi, from the shrine maiden of the Furude Shrine. On your first day, be careful when you come through the door to the classroom. Also, there'll be a thumbtack on the back of your chair. There'll be a toy frog in your desk too."
"...But even with this warning, you fall for it again and again. Your Monday is going to be disastrous... poor Keiichi."
"Hee hee. That's why it's fun. Why don't you try overcoming that fate sometime? Hee hee hee. You'll be the one to teach us that. In one of the many worlds, right?"
"Huh? ......Huh?????"

...I'll realize it too late, though.

But I like it here.

My name is Keiichi Maebara.

This is my new beginning, and this time, I'm going to enjoy it to the fullest!

I've been missing out so much but, I'm going to learn all of those things here. I'm going to absorb all of it!

And I'll become someone I've always wanted to become.

It may take a very long time.

But I'll definitely do it!

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
Keiichi can see her too!? How!? Why!? :psyduck:

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
She seems to be kind of visible to a lot of people this time around.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
My current theory is that she's simply not hiding anymore, especially after what happened at the end of the last timeloop. She and Rika are going to make it work this time, come hell or high water... Or black-ops mass murder, I suppose. Is that correct? No idea, but it's all I've got.

...I've still been silently reading along all this time. You almost forget about all the, er... unsavory stuff of the early chapters with how serious and intense it's been for the last long while.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

VIDEO: Fragment 42 | An invitation to an end

BGM: Things I Want to Convey (Tsutaetai Koto)
SFX: Rain

We have proof as clear as the pathogen causing Hinamizawa Syndrome, so why can't they believe in its life cycle?

...Because they've never heard of that before?

Because they can't imagine it?

Because there's no way something so absurd could be true?

Don't tell me that...

I can't bring myself to care about the limits of those commoners' understanding.

Why can't anyone believe the truth of my grandfather's article, which has been proven by the Irie Institute?

Why do people continue to believe that humans are a special existence?

Humans are simply a species of animal.

When various parasites that control their animal hosts exist, how can people declare parasites that use humans as their hosts don't?

Because everyone believed my grandfather's article up until now.

Isn't that why the Ministry of Health and the Defense Agency lent me their assistance?

But out of nowhere, they turned cold.

In other words, every bit of their help was because Uncle Koizumi had my back.

So nobody actually read my grandfather's article?

Did they just pretend to in order to make Uncle Koizumi happy?

What is the meaning of everything I've done up until today?

I thought I'd achieved something, but what have I really accomplished?

I don't know what's going on, and all I can do is wallow in grief.

The more I think about it, the more I no longer understand the meaning of my own life.

...Then, I haven't done anything for him at all.

Count three with my grandfather and I go on to count four... what a crazy thing to say.

...No, no...

If I let my mind wander, doubt about myself and my life will slip in.

So I'm just going to fill the gap in my heart with alcohol.

Is it that strange to presume the existence of something that can influence human thoughts?

It's true that Hinamizawa Syndrome isn't the actual cause of ideology.

The best it can do is drive people mad. Socialism or capitalism don't originate with it.

In the era my grandfather was living, you couldn't talk about the world without ideology.

The article came from that time and age, so some of its inferences may be exaggerated or biased, but that's no reason to deny its foresight.

You can't simply say it's crazy and push it aside.

My grandfather had predicted the importance and danger of the queen carrier since beginning his research on Hinamizawa Syndrome.

But the hypothesis of the infected community collapsing into madness if the queen carrier dies, is a Pandora's box that can't be proven.

It can only be confirmed after Rika Furude's death, and if she dies, it'll be too late.

But there's no mistake that Rika Furude is the queen carrier, and a very special existence. It's clear from the various experiments we've performed that she has a special influence on the infected villagers.

Her death really could trigger the collapse of the entire village.

...That's no mistake...!!

My grandfather predicted it!

To say all of that sounds like a comic book... it's just too cruel!!

For them to call the various preparations we've made to protect her a fictional project that was used to tunnel funds...

What I'm doing now is simply what my grandfather was going to do.

Therefore, insulting my research is the same as insulting my grandfather.

According to my grandfather's article, the first thing that needs to be done when researching the syndrome is to protect the queen carrier.

Yet, they ridiculed that more than anything else.

The more I think about it, the more their words stick in my memory.

I can almost hear their voices, and I can't stop myself from covering my ears.

I was trying to petition for the Irie Institute to not be shut down, but it backfired.

The members must think that Hinamizawa Syndrome is some kind of joke, and I'm sure they'll push even harder now to put a stop to our research.

If that happens, I would have to go back to researching as an individual.

In other words, the same as what my grandfather did.

There's a limit to what an individual can do.

...It's doubtful if I would even be able to go back to researching it individually.

Once the Irie Institute is disbanded, everyone is obligated to keep it confidential until we die.

I signed a contract to that extent.

That's not just a simple promise. If I were to break it, a special unit like the Mountain Dogs would come after me to ensure that I keep everything confidential.

Even if that doesn't happen… the Irie Institute is to eradicate the syndrome within a few years and to bury every trace of it, including the results of our research.

This isn't the normal process of research and treatment. They want to pretend nothing ever happened to begin with.

I wanted to continue and complete my grandfather's work... but what's happening now will result in the complete opposite.

I'm actually helping to eliminate my grandfather's hard-earned research from this world.

A treatment has been created already.

...I hate to admit it, but he has more experience and talent than I do.

...I'm sure he'll come up with a plan for eradicating Hinamizawa Syndrome within three years as requested by the new board of directors.

...And that board of directors will provide just enough funds to bury the syndrome.

Irie will do that happily.

Just like the time when he disposed of all the research data on test medicine H170, as was requested.

All I can do is to passively hinder them, just like they did me... while watching the Hinamizawa Syndrome get eradicated.

And when everything is over, I will finally complete an article which is destined to be destroyed.

...Should I kill myself with thoughts of it in my head so I can at least present the article to my grandfather?

...He won't be happy even if I did that.

...On the contrary, he'll be disappointed in me for throwing the research he spent half of his life on down the drain.

...He won't embrace me. I know that for sure...

I wanted the world to acknowledge my grandfather's masterpiece.

...I wanted to carve his name in history...... and promote him to a god.

My grandfather waited, believing that day would come, and he must be patiently waiting still, even after entering his eternal sleep.

But... I ruined it.

I wanted him to become a god.

I was going to become a god myself too.

Then we will be together forever, and I'll never have to be alone.

If I become a god, God won't test me.

There won't be any unhappiness. There won't be a sudden train accident.

My grandfather won't go away, nor will Uncle Koizumi.

...I'll never have to go back to being alone.

SFX: Rain

I have no allies.

I was just dancing in ecstasy on a stage without anybody watching.

I had only just realized that there was no applause, but only ridicule.

...No, it's doubtful that there was actually anyone in the audience to begin with.

My parents died, my grandfather died, and then Uncle Koizumi died... Three times had God toyed with me with their rolls of the dice.

I thought I overcame each of those trials with my own strength, but I didn't.

I was protected by a new guardian each time.

And this time, I have no guardians left to protect me.

When I first arrived in Hinamizawa, I had every intention of challenging God and kicking him off of his throne.

But now, forget challenging God... I'm just a loser being played with.

I suddenly can't find it within myself to care about anything.

Because if I cared, I'd be swallowed by sadness. Soaking my heart in alcohol is all I can do to forget about everything.

...I became sober immediately, as cars like that remind me of the time when I was captured after escaping from the orphanage.

Suspicious-looking men in black suits and sunglasses got out from the car.

...I realized it instantly. They must have been sent by one of my clients.

Being involved in the development of a biological weapon, being the main person responsible for it, and on top of that, being mentally unstable. They obviously don't want me walking around freely.

They're going to abduct me, seal me in concrete, and erase my existence...... Or so I thought.

I expected them to grab me and shove me into the car, but surprisingly, they bowed deeply to me instead.

"...Normally, yes. ...I'm just a drunk loser at the moment, though."
"There is someone who would like to meet with you. Could you please come along with us?"
"...Even if I refuse, you're going to take me along anyway, right?"

I'll be killed anyway... I can't make my grandfather's wish come true, even if I live... Cynical thoughts like that ran through my head.

Then the person in the backseat said...

I've never met this young woman before. She must be around my age.

She knows about the Irie Institute, so she must be somehow connected to my clients.

She's too young to be one herself.

I bet a client who doesn't want to expose himself sent her.

Even if I live, I can't make my grandfather a god. I can't be a god myself either.

Who cares about where a loser like me gets killed, anyway?

As soon as I got in, the luxurious car smoothly took off.

Silence filled the car for a time.

...They're the ones that invited me. I don't have anything to say myself.

"Oh, we did? Sorry, I don't remember."

There were so many people at that funeral. I can't recall any of them.

...But why is that what she's opening with?

...Does that mean she belongs to the Koizumi faction...?

"Koizumi-sensei was very active as one of the opinion leaders during the post-war restoration. You can't begin to talk about the way the country is today without mentioning his accomplishments."
"............"
"When we were rebuilding the country from the burnt fields after the war, our nation's supporters were united, but unfortunately it's hard to say that now. ...As our time of peace grew longer and we started seeing the generation who didn't remember the burnt fields become key national figures, we saw a decline in those who understood the noble intentions we started with. As the final remaining member of those noble men, Koizumi-sensei was the central pillar guiding us into the twenty-first century."
"...After his death, the Koizumi faction quickly fell. As a result, other factions are extending their influence, leading everything to become quite a mess, right?"

I heard about these things from Jirou-san.

It's really no different from the Sengoku Era. When a lord or military leader died back then, the struggle to become his successor brought chaos to the nation.

...This country hasn't changed for hundreds of years.

“Right now, various factions are fighting in Tokyo over the seat left behind by Koizumi-sensei. If Koizumi-sensei and the other deceased servicemen ever found out about this, they'd be so disappointed."
"......What does that have to do with me?"
"Aren't you the biggest victim of all this? I think you've had enough experiences with sudden shifts in the wind, haven't you?"
"............"

...And the pressures we faced under the anti-Koizumi faction have been tempestuous and cold.

Maybe for them, every project that Koizumi-sensei left behind is an eyesore, regardless of what that project is.

...In other words... that simply means they rejected the research itself, doesn't it...?

Come to think of it, something like this happened to my grandfather too.

Back then, Koizumi brought authorities from various fields to see him.

They talked down to my grandfather, despite the praise they'd given earlier.

Koizumi-sensei told me that the masterminds were responsible for that.

“Therefore, it's been made into a scapegoat by those people who want to monopolize the interests of the Project."
"...A scapegoat?"
"What I mean is that your research into the Hinamizawa Syndrome isn't what they rejected. What's important to them isn't the content, but the faction leading the project. I wanted to tell you that today."
"In the end, I'm just a sacrificial goat put up for everyone to see, huh? It doesn't matter what I research. The only thing they care about is that we belonged to the Koizumi faction."
"That's correct. The faction in control is like the direction of the wind. Sometimes it's a tailwind, and sometimes it's a headwind. Unfortunately, once the direction changes, it's not easy to turn it back around."
"So you're saying it won't be easy to bring my hostile clients back...?"
"That's correct. The Alphabet Project has been taken over completely. All of the directors have been replaced, and they're only interested in fulfilling their own desires. From the very beginning, they had no intention of listening to your explanation."

I grasped my knees, remembering that humiliating day.

"Eh? ......That is, to fulfill my intellectual curiosity..."

SFX: Thunder

...Well, that's surprising.

Koizumi-sensei once told me that this fact could become a hindrance, so I've never told any of my clients about it.

How did she find out?

If they know that, maybe they know a lot more about us than I think.

"Where did you hear about that?"
"Koizumi-sensei told me."
"What?"
"We're not your enemies. Please relax. We're here to help you."
"............"

I don't know who she really is, but I know she's here because she wants something from me.

...So what is it that she wants?

She knows about the relationship between my grandfather and me, so I can't be careless.

"But, in order for us to help you, we need to have you tell us the truth. In other words, we want you to be honest."
"...I don't know what you're trying to say."
"What is your true purpose in researching Hinamizawa Syndrome?"

To have my grandfather's masterpiece acknowledged for what it is, and to have him become a god.

"........."

BGM: Depressive Paranoia

I'm reaching the limit of not letting my surprise show on my face.

How much does this woman know about me?

...In the first place, who is she?

How does she know everything I'm thinking?

"..............."

I can't admit that out loud, in any case. ...I have appearances to consider...

But while this elegant woman was wearing an angelic smile... she laughed with the devil's seductive whisper, several times better at it than I am.

A simple smile and a devilish grin are completely different.

An ordinary smile means goodwill, but a malicious smirk means the complete opposite.

This woman can read my deepest thoughts, and while doing so, she's testing me to see how honest I can be with her.

Whether I tell her the truth or not isn't the issue here.

She's testing me to see if I can trust her enough to confess everything.

"......Well........."
"On the other hand. If what I'm saying is somewhere close to what you're feeling... I think we can help each other. What do you think? Miyo Takano-san?"
"........."

I can't say anything in reply, but I think that simply remaining silent might also be an answer.

...I want to hear what she wants from me.

I've always phrased my objective as some vague idea of turning my grandfather into a god.

...But she's just taught me what my true objective is.

I want those people to fight over the right to read the article they once trampled on and mocked.

I want them to believe... no, to worship... every single word my grandfather left behind.

That is my true objective...

This woman has stated out loud that which I have only whispered within myself. She even asked me if she was correct.

...Is this woman an angel or a devil?

If I'm a human, is she an existence above me?

“You set an abstract goal like uncovering the mysteries of Hinamizawa Syndrome, which could never be achieved. So you couldn't help but to question the meaning of your own life. Isn't that right? Hee hee hee.”
“That's wrong. Your actual objective, your earnest dream isn't so abstract. Can you imagine? Just think of this scene: The true leaders of this nation are reading your grandfather's article. While shocked at its contents, they believe all of it without even a hint of doubt. These people humbly read the article with footprints on its back. They express their respect at the insightfulness of his research and tremble in fear at its implications. What do you think? Were you able to imagine it?"

......This is my first time envisioning something like this.

...And yet, it's been my dream all along.

"Carved into eternity, for all time."
"Indeed. Your grandfather's masterpiece will be remembered forever. Hee hee hee. Isn't that the dream you've devoted your whole life to realizing? Hee hee hee..."

My grandfather's masterpiece will be remembered forever. Remembered. Forever…

"And yet!! Those pigs who couldn't understand turned your dream into a sacrifice, simply because of factional conflicts of interests. They're even trying to trample it into the ground! ......Just like how they kept trampling on your grandfather's article... see? Hee hee hee..."
"...............!"
"You must be full of regret. The data you've worked so hard for is indeed the same as the article your grandfather did his best to produce. You can't forgive the people who laughed at it. You can't forgive those pigs who ridiculed your grandfather's masterpiece, right? Aren't I right? ...Oh, I know I am. But you didn't think about that, because you're so kind as to not know how to condemn people. See?"
"............"

The sensation of being cautious and calm, of trust and mistrust, are all blending together.

My heart is beating fast and my fingertips are shaking.

Why am I at peace?

Is it because she reminded me of my true dream, that I couldn't express with my own words until now?

Is it because she made me aware of the anger within myself?

Why am I hesitant?

Is it because she's reminded me of things I've never told anyone until now? No, those are the things I've never even told myself.

"......Huff......... ...huff......"
"Hee hee, what's the matter...? Are you feeling alright? If that's the case, I shouldn't keep you. We'll take you to the nearest station."

A small noise leaked pathetically out of my mouth.

Like a child apologizing for a prank.

"...Did you say something? Hee hee hee."

I know she heard me. The woman smiled, trying to make me say it again.

"...That's not it... I'm doing perfectly fine..."
"Hee hee hee. I'm glad. Let's continue, then."
"...If that is, in fact, my dream, then what can you do?"
"I'll help you with both of your vengeances. One is revenge for your grandfather. We will make those people who ridiculed your grandfather's article humbly take it into their hands once again. The one they violated. The other is revenge against the board of directors for trampling over your research, simply because of their factional conflicts. Revenge against the filthy pigs who tried to stomp on not only your work, but on your life as well."
".....Getting revenge against the board of directors by having them read my grandfather's article..."

“We can't allow the project that Koizumi-sensei established for the sake of Japan's future be eaten up by these lowlifes after his death. If we had more power, we wouldn't have allowed that scum to become involved at all. However, the wind started blowing in a different direction, and the project can no longer express Koizumi-sensei's ideals. It has become a pigsty for them to satisfy their own desires. Koizumi-sensei, who gave them the name 'Alphabet Project', would not have wished for it to remain this way. The Project should have been shut down the minute it deviated from his ideals."
".........So you're trying to make the sacrificial sheep of the factional conflict into a wolf, are you?"
"If you choose to keep your grandfather's article hidden away in your heart, then I won't force you."

I don't mind falling to the ground myself.

But at least... my grandpa... My grandpa's article...

"Don't you want to make the article that represents you and your grandfather's lives into something that will last forever? Hee hee, after all, that's your dream, isn't it?"

"That's right... That's my reason to live..."
"We'll give you a chance to make your dream come true."

Is this divine salvation, or the devil's seduction...?

I fought with the board of directors regarding the continuation of our research.

But that was completely off-target. That wasn't my true goal.

My objective isn't to continue researching Hinamizawa Syndrome.

It's to have the world acknowledge my grandfather's research as a masterpiece.

Somehow, the method for achieving that swapped places with my objective and caused me to misunderstand myself.

The purpose of my life isn't to continue my grandfather's research.

...It's to get revenge... and repay them for my grandfather's suffering.

That's what this woman is saying.

She's promising to make my grandfather's research eternal.

She's also promising an opportunity to take revenge against those who laughed at it.

But my unshakable conviction gathered together a power stronger than God's die.

So maybe this meeting happened for a reason.

Curse you, God. You're testing me again.

I will overcome the death of Uncle Koizumi.

And I will make my grandfather an eternal existence by taking revenge against the god who tested me. I will, for certain.

I will take my revenge.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Who "hee hee hee"'d Takano into her revenge plot?

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

VIDEO: Fragment 41 | June 1983

BGM: Over the sky

It sure is a hard and exhausting job just lining up the pieces for the month of June.

But finally I'm at the start line. Beginning from zero, at last.

...Yet... seeing all these colorful Fragments together, I realized just how many sentiments were intertwined around June 1983.

I used to think that thoughts of people with no relation to me were useless. But I was wrong.

Rika Furude did her best to overcome the fate of June 1983.

Ironically, Takano from the Irie Institute was the one who wanted to kill her, but it was the best move for her at the time.

And the other was to ensure that the Maebara family moved to Hinamizawa.

It actually wasn't certain that the Maebara family would move here.

Therefore, it was necessary for us to play in that field. It was the trigger for the Maebara family's move.

It took me so long to find that out, though.

After turning various conditions on and off repeatedly, I finally realized that meeting Keiichi's father at that field was the cause.

Maebara Keiichi is a very important key for breaking Rule Z, one of the chains that was binding me.

He is the fresh air that's powerful enough to break all the old and evil customs in this village.

He created many opportunities, but he also provided me with an important clue by letting me know that a strong conviction and the will to believe is what's important in standing up against a powerful fate.

...But I wasn't the only one who wanted him here.

Mion Sonozaki vowed to herself to protect Satoko and Satoshi because she was very much bothered by how irrational the treatment of the Houjou family was.

And on the night Satoshi Houjou disappeared, she exploded at Oryou Sonozaki and voiced her true feelings.

Oryou herself had come to understand the wicked customs of the village, and had been wanting to do something about it.

But she didn't have the power to do so herself, so she entrusted it to the fresh air that was blowing in from the outside.

That was why the lots went on sale, so the Maebara family could move in.

Even if I danced in that field, if Oryou hadn't put the lots on sale, Keiichi couldn't have come.

Keiichi Maebara's wish to restart his life was the same wish Rena Ryuugu had a year prior.

......If they can use the lessons learned from one Fragment, then humans won't make those mistakes.

The game pieces will make their best moves, and the chances of winning this game of June 1983 will rapidly increase.

The mighty Rule Z that surrounded the Houjou siblings was eventually smashed by their actions.

Their hands met only because they reached from both sides.

Mion is the one who made it possible for them to move here, and she also helped them to become familiar with the village.

That's not all.

Feeling empathy for Satoko, he is the most influential piece on the board we call "Hinamizawa Syndrome". His existence is capable of defeating Rule X.

Keiichi and Rena's determination and subsequent awakening taught us that it was possible to fight against Rule X, but they didn't defeat it.

Defeating Rule X requires the existence of Irie, who has the strong will to discover a cure for the syndrome.

I didn't know Irie held this many thoughts within him.

I always thought he was rather absent-minded, but he is, in fact, an important and powerful piece.

So if we gather all this power... can we win against Takano's will?

Sadly, her will is strong, and can't be easily broken.

It's no wonder our fate in June 1983 has been so hard to shake no matter how hard we fought.

The sentiments I've been turning towards it pale in comparison to how many she's brought into it.

The weight of our game pieces are different, because I've given up on fighting while she has been risking her life to fight on.

...I've spent time sulking and drinking wine to escape from reality. I must be a very light piece indeed.

...I can't win against Takano with what I have so far.

I need more pieces to be able to win.

But he's under the misunderstanding that the Sonozaki family caused the death of his dear friend, so until that gets resolved, he won't be of any help.

I don't know how I can resolve that misunderstanding... ...but I just have to believe in it and keep throwing the die.

Just like Keiichi and Rena constitute a chance to change fate, maybe Akasaka has the power to create a chance as well.

...A curse can't be broken by inner power alone. It takes power from outside as well.

Both sides have to reach out, otherwise the hands won't meet, just like what happened with Satoko.

But Akasaka has never come to our aid.

Even if he did, it was always too late. Too late. Far too late.

But if I keep throwing the die, will Akasaka's game piece eventually appear?

...To defeat them, I need a very strong opponent for her. And the only one I can think of is none other than Akasaka from the police headquarters in Tokyo.

There are more pieces who would lend me their power.

I need to gather them all, otherwise I can't win against Takano.

The preparation of the game board is complete. But I need more pieces.

...It's only the beginning.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

You can read Minagoroshi’s prologue update in order to refresh yourself on Rules X, Y, and Z. But to summarize:

X: A random person becomes violent under the influence of paranoid thoughts.
Y: Jirou Tomitake and “Miyo Takano” get killed on the night of the Watanagashi. (AKA, Takano is the one behind it all.)
Z: The Sonozaki family will act as if they are responsible for the Watanagashi killings, no matter what.

VIDEO: Fragment 44 | A Fragment of Onikakushi

BGM: Beat (Kodou)

He has to learn about his friends and he has to learn to not doubt them.

He doesn't know the importance of trusting his friends. He doesn't know, just yet.

A slight mistrust grows into paranoia, and Keiichi Maebara is trapped within Rule X.

At the end of Rule X, Keiichi leaves a sad note, and dies.

You didn't have to apologize.

In the few days he left Hinamizawa to attend his relative's funeral...

Tragically, he experienced an outbreak.

But I think this was necessary, as his first step towards learning something important.

The very first step towards smoking out Rule X, and eventually defeating it.

When this piece was all I had, I didn't even think of that, though…

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

The fate of everyone rests in the hands of...this one dude in my class

We believe in you, Keiichi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

VIDEO: Fragment 46 | A Fragment of Watanagashi

BGM: Beat (Kodou)

No, to put it in my words, this is the piece that makes everyone aware of the existence of Rule Z.

But this is also the piece that teaches us the rules of the game board.

She dislikes Satoko Houjou at first, but through this and another piece, she learns something important, challenges Rule X, and then grows to be a powerful piece to fight Rule Z.

The most ridiculous part of this Fragment... is that it's hidden so cunningly, and doesn't seem that way at all with just a passing glance.

Please become a powerful piece and lend me your strength to defeat my enemies.