Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I’m another one reading who’s never played before. I did read the Umineko LP, and with the info in this update, I see a parallel between the two in the direction (I think) Higurashi is headed, namely that we have to work out whether it’s an actual curse, a tragic coincidence, or a good old fashioned murder mystery.

Assuming it’s a murder without any curses involved, I would say that Tomitake is looking suspicious as he was around when the initial murder at the dam happened and comes back regularly (is he always here for this festival?), but that might be too obvious. It’s also just as likely that he or his mystery companion is this year’s death.

Also interesting is that the characters focus in the deaths, but it looks like in all three cases there was also a person related to the deceased who went missing or left town. Not sure what to make of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I wonder if it's a witness elimination thing, maybe the previously killed people heard something or saw something even if they don't know the significance, especially if they were involved with the dam, and the one guy left from the original murder is cleaning up loose ends.

You could also argue that most of the town being at the festival is enough cover for getting away with murder as you'd be less likely to be caught, so it's a good time to strike, the curse is just a bonus.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I wonder if guy #1 is a coincidence (male, not in town, could've sworn someone else went missing with him but guess not) and the wives are part of the murder pattern. Which I guess means trouble for Keiichi's mom, as hinted :ohdear: The tangential connection to the dam could be a coincidence too, our murderer could just have a thing against housewives and the festival timing is convenient since there's less chance of being caught.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I’m sorry I ever doubted you Tomitake :(

I wonder if his attackers killed him and then manually moved his hands to make it look like a suicide? I can’t imagine anything that could drive him to madness and suicide like that ...unless his lady friend died too :ohdear: It sounds like from this cop that they’re the ones who found his body, she didn’t call it in, so she’s either missing/dead or he died after they separated (but then why do a suicide if they parted normally?)

I was really attached to my serial killer of housewives theory! This death doesn’t seem to fit with the others, if it was a group that ganged up on him. Could be that none of the deaths are connected other than using the curse as cover for murder. Or if they are, it’s a really vindictive group of townspeople who didn’t like his snooping.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

That's a good catch on the dog tags. The last TIP implies Tomitake is a pen name, so would the dog tags have had his real name? And the killers didn't want police to know? He doesn't have a license so that wouldn't have a name on it and it's plausible nothing else in the wallet would have it either (or the killers took those things)

I hope the mention of a group or four or more is a red herring for the reader, but maybe one of the reasons Ooishi asked Keiichi to keep an eye out is because he knows that Keiichi is in with that group, and not just specifically because he's friends with Mion.

The last TIP also raises the question of how the hell they got Tomitake off his bike and moved him 300 meters away and why. It doesn't sound like the body or the bike were very hidden

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

TKMobile, I’m coming around to your “everyone in the village is in on it” theory, seriously that was weird and creepy as hell. Wonder if Rena is connected to one of the missing/murdered people, she seems to be a bit nosy for a relative newcomer.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I feel like they’re not very good friends if they’re putting needles in your food. I buy that they weren’t involved with the original killings but this is murdery to the point where I wonder if it’s somehow a misdirection

quote:

You're going to be retiring next year, aren't you? Weren't you going to pay off your mortgage with your pension and move up to Hokkaido with your mom?
If it makes you feel better TK, Ooishi doesn’t seem long for this world :v: this is a death flag if I’ve ever seen one

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Yeah, I'm wondering how much of the weird tone shifts in Rena's demeanor Keiichi is perceiving even actually happened.

I like the idea of lying to the others being the trigger for delusions though hell if I know why that would be the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

My working assumption right now is that the stuff in the syringe induces suicidal thoughts. But why the girls had it, why Tomitake was chosen earlier (also snooping around?), what it means to be transferred... No idea. I am assuming that Mion and Rena are malicious, but also that there's no needle.