Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Well there’s your problem has a couple episodes about nuclear disasters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Well there’s your problem has a couple episodes about nuclear disasters.

Cool, I'll give them a listen this week.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

As Nero Danced posted:

Your post reminded me, this might be a weird topic but does anyone know of a podcast that goes into the history of nuclear tests/mishaps?

Something close is At The Brink with William J. Perry, former SecDef

Also very good and related is Arms Control Wonk and the related podcast The Deal

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I can't believe I only today figured out the Trueanon theme song is a Twin Peaks remix after wondering why it sounded so familiar for a whole year

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh wow, on a similar note I listened to a podcast where an infosec auditing team was hired by a high tech company in the US to audit their factory security, and the team included a guy fluent in Chinese. While they were in the town in the middle of nowhere Midwest he went to a Chinese restaurant and looked at the menu in Chinese and saw they had black duck eggs. The guy realized no way a Chinese place in the middle of Nebraska or somewhere similar would offer something like that if they didn’t have ton of people from China in town all the time, and it wound up being a major espionage discovery with the FBI called in.

Ep. 21 of Darknet Diaries, great show

Can now confirm that this show absolutely owns. This was a great recommendation.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Also seconding that, you don’t need to be technical to enjoy it either.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Qanon Anonymous is another good one, similar to Trueanon, just a little less “weird Twitter” in the general vibe.

Also Know Your Enemy does deep dives into various far right groups, who really understand all the internal politics within the far right.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The Friendship Onion is a podcast from Billy Boyd and Dominic Monaghan (Merry and Pippin in LotR) talking about behind the scene stories, what they’re up to now, and just generally being long time friends hanging out. They had Elijah Wood on as the first guest who was pretty great.

Nordic Mythology Podcast is cohosted by one of my professors, Matthias Nordvig, and starts off talking about general mythology stuff and what sources actually exist for this or that story, including a multi episode series going into the literature and archaeological evidence for the main characters of Vikings. They get a lot of great guests on, ranging from musicians and artists to other academics and recently a black Army vet who talked about his experience with Nordic paganism as a black man.

I Don’t Speak German is a great podcast from a researcher who keeps tabs on what the alt-right and other far right groups are up to, including laughing about their schisms like the Night of Wrong Wives.

Craft Beer and Brewing Network is a show about craft brewing, with each episode being an interview of somebody from a different brewery about stuff.

Also seconding most of the other recs so far, Archaeological Fantasies is great and has a short run spinoff podcast Paranormal Archaeology. Monster Talk has had multiple crossovers with archaeological fantasies and is a podcast that critically examines cryptozoology and sort of uses each episode to talk about something actually scientific, whether it’s having a memory expert on to talk about abductions or a biblical historian on to talk about the multiple different versions of the Devil in the Bible. Gonna disrecommend Hardcore History, because unless he’s gotten better it’s the type of show where the less you know about what he’s talking about the more you’ll enjoy it. He’s done pretty shoddy research in the past and run away with focusing on telling a narrative based on outdated research (WW1 and his focus on the Schlieffen Plan).

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Yeah I don’t speak German and Know your Enemy are basically the same thing, just with different hosts and a slightly different vibe. Know your enemy’s hosts are former like old school young Republican “national review” types turned leftists who focus more on that area and have a really deep understanding of that milieu while the I don’t speak German focuses more on the online newer alt-right types and has more informal vibe but there’s a huge amount of crossover.

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives
Honestly, the TrueAnon episode about the Fort Bragg murders was top notch, highly recommend it: https://soundcloud.com/trueanonpod/jsuc
Brace and Liz are just great together and Yung Chomsky does a great job with editing - he recently uploaded I think an unedited episode by mistake and drat does it sound a lot worse/more awkward.

The Dollop had a really good episode about a Naval base being full of gay men and how a psycho-narc formed a secret unit of straight men to root them out by...having sex with the gay men to collect evidence. Comedy ensues. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLajOro-HI8

I wish What A Hell of a Way to Die did a little bit of a better job with like editing/cutting/content planning because drat do they draw on for way too long before getting to the good parts. I mean we can say that's part of the charm but it wears off over time.

Also can't say enough that Blowback rules although very hard to listen to sometimes because, both with Season 1 and Season 2, you really are reminded of how much the US has hosed up so much poo poo and ruined so many lives for what amount to the pettiest reasons possible, and sometimes for even less than that.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Chapo side project Hell Of Presidents was v strong out of the gate but I haven't listened to the rest of it, expectations remain high

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Androies posted:

I wish What A Hell of a Way to Die did a little bit of a better job with like editing/cutting/content planning because drat do they draw on for way too long before getting to the good parts. I mean we can say that's part of the charm but it wears off over time.

The new episode is all dad chat. Which is fine, I don't mind. Trash Future is similar overall though, but mostly covering brit poo poo, which is interesting enough anyhow.

E: I don't know how I missed that Jim Jeffries has a podcast, but it's called "I don't know about that" which is pretty fitting.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 11, 2021

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Carteret posted:

I'm not a good effort poster, but if you enjoy comedy and history might I recommend The Dollop. It's a simple premise of one host deep diving on a person or topic from american history, while the co-host has no clue even the subject of the episode, and they riff on it. It's a fun time and great on a commute. The 2-parter on George Pullman was remarkable.

started this from the beginning after getting hooked on the #480 Winnie Plengo and haha gently caress the third episode is about a weirdo getting banned from the Terminal Lance forums and going on a crusade to defend his e-honor

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 24, 2021

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

It could happen here just did a season 2 finally. Pretty good so far.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

It could happen here just did a season 2 finally. Pretty good so far.

oh good I'm not depressed enough already, let's listen to this

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

maffew buildings posted:

oh good I'm not depressed enough already, let's listen to this

Robert Evans tries to pull an “but it’s not all hopeless!” take but it comes across as grasping at straws compared to the magnitude of the problems he illustrates.

Also the new episode of Darknet Diaries is a healthy dose of :stare: with the Benny Hill theme playing in the background. Consider it a must listen.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Sawbones is great if you care about medical history or want concepts in healthcare explained to you. This is nice because healthcare is a huge part of life today in the US whether you like it or not

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I like(d) Sawbones but I got tired of the extended McElroy family of podcasts after a while. That being said, It was wild listening to their Feb 2020 episode on Covid, and then the March "part 2." The rapid change of attitude about the whole thing... woof

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 18, 2022

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Listening to episode 99 of Darknet Diaries right now. It’s a two parter, first part so far is an interview with a Ukrainian-American private intelligence contractor who flipped after he realized he was hired as local support by a really shady intelligence company that Harvey Weinstein hired to go after his victims AND they have on his target, a guy who worked for citizenlab who in turn had journalists spying on the meeting because he was suspicious.

So they’re talking about this hilariously bumbled spy operation from both the perspective of the target as well as the guy who is there to help lookout for this bumbling spy that worked directly for this intel company that’s supposed to clean up after him but is actually trying to collect evidence to leak to a different journalist. It’s pretty hilarious so far.

On the darker side a look into the system that helps the rich and powerful escape justice.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Listening to episode 99 of Darknet Diaries right now. It’s a two parter, first part so far is an interview with a Ukrainian-American private intelligence contractor who flipped after he realized he was hired as local support by a really shady intelligence company that Harvey Weinstein hired to go after his victims AND they have on his target, a guy who worked for citizenlab who in turn had journalists spying on the meeting because he was suspicious.

So they’re talking about this hilariously bumbled spy operation from both the perspective of the target as well as the guy who is there to help lookout for this bumbling spy that worked directly for this intel company that’s supposed to clean up after him but is actually trying to collect evidence to leak to a different journalist. It’s pretty hilarious so far.

On the darker side a look into the system that helps the rich and powerful escape justice.

Oh yeah his recent episodes have been especially strong. After ep 94 on Kik which I'd never heard of before, I asked a detective friend if he'd heard about it and he confirmed they'd recently busted a guy for distributing images and Kik was the main platform. Then after eps 99 and 100 covered how that company had developed a zero click exploit for getting into iPhones about a week later Apple rolled out an emergency patch to fix that. I'm sure it was already in the works but when I saw that in the news it was cool to know the context of why that was needed.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I made a thread for Darknet Diaries, feel free to drop by and discuss. Ep 101 about the Puerto Rico lottery being fixed was excellent https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3981405

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Thread died because everyone is too busy going through the Darknet Diaries backlog to post, thanks again for that rec

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Also RWN civil war series is SO loving good

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Internet Wizard posted:

Night of Wrong Wives.

:sbahj:

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

shame on an IGA posted:

Thread died because everyone is too busy going through the Darknet Diaries backlog to post, thanks again for that rec

Guilty.

I don’t know much about cyber security, but that show is great. The physical pen test episodes are the best.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Also “the iron dice” is amazing. Think a combination of the in depth revolutions podcast, the but with a more personal zoomed in scale kinda like the amazing book about the Troubles Say Nothing and Radio War Nerd connecting themes and reoccurring patterns in history.

The guy is a German history nerd and covers aspects of Weimar Germany you can’t find much about in English language, and really explores all the political intrigue on the German left particularly between the SPD, KPD and Spartacist factions as well as with the centrist/liberals, conservatives and fascists.

He also has a pretty good grasp on American politics and history and since it’s clearly aimed at an American audience he offers up comparisons and contrasts based on stuff we would know better both in American and more well known periods in Europe and tackles misconceptions people have about the period colored by the events that happened after.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

that sounds dismayingly useful

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Iron Dice is being done by the same guy behind the YouTube channel Three Arrows where he has done a bunch of hour-ish long video essays. He said in one of his latest videos that this podcast is a new venture for him that will let him focus more on what he wants to cover than trying to chase YouTube money and keep relevant there.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

This... is a pretty good into to the podcast honestly

https://twitter.com/E1podcast/status/1454979268346269697

ChauchetRedemption
Sep 11, 2001

Were not accustomed to occupying defensive positions. Its destructive to morale.
All Marine radio Spotify Updates regularly. Feels like a O & I summary of things happening in and around the Corps and Navy. The coverage of Afghanistan and the drowning deaths from the AAV incident is pretty good, if not damming of those involved.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Crime Story is a podcast about, well, crime. But it's well produced and done in a pretty compelling and interesting way,. I'm not much of a fan of the whole true crime genre but the few episodes available for this show were interesting listens.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Haven't listened to an episode yet but the synopsis sounds promising: Endless Thread is Boston NPR affiliate WBUR's take on Weekend Web

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

nevermind that pod sucks Endless rear end

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

F Plus and Lou Reads The Internet are the only true weekend web style podcasts

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Lolita Podcast is Jamie Loftus (of My year in MENSA fame) and is a short series looking into the history and impact of the novel Lolita. As someone who was really only familiar with it through pop culture it was really interesting to hear the actual story and pretty disturbing to realise that people view it as a forbidden romance rather than a child abuser glorifying kidnapping and rape. Top listen and not a super long series.

A bit more of a niche listen The Unconventional Soldier podcast is by a couple of ex-British army guys about the history of the Special Observer corps (now 473 battery) and their Reserve element the Honourable Artillery Company. The history is interesting as their original role was basically in case of a Soviet invasion of Europe, they were to dig in at the NATO front and hide while the Soviets swept over everything and then act as artillery spotters at expected artillery/supply/command/etc. locations. They cover some of the transformation of the role, there are interviews with serving British soldiers from the Falklands, Norn Iron, Balkans, Iraq and Afghanistan that are all interesting.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I randomly came across Old Gods of Appalachia and a day later I’ve binged through 16 episodes. It’s a horror anthology podcast with fantastic narration, sound design and storytelling. Would definitely recommend if you’re into things like this- I’m not much of a fiction enthusiast but I am severely hooked on this podcast now.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I randomly came across Old Gods of Appalachia and a day later I’ve binged through 16 episodes. It’s a horror anthology podcast with fantastic narration, sound design and storytelling. Would definitely recommend if you’re into things like this- I’m not much of a fiction enthusiast but I am severely hooked on this podcast now.

Sounds good downloading now

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

MrNemo posted:

A bit more of a niche listen The Unconventional Soldier podcast is by a couple of ex-British army guys about the history of the Special Observer corps (now 473 battery) and their Reserve element the Honourable Artillery Company. The history is interesting as their original role was basically in case of a Soviet invasion of Europe, they were to dig in at the NATO front and hide while the Soviets swept over everything and then act as artillery spotters at expected artillery/supply/command/etc. locations. They cover some of the transformation of the role, there are interviews with serving British soldiers from the Falklands, Norn Iron, Balkans, Iraq and Afghanistan that are all interesting.

Listened a bit and this is a good recommendation. I’m on their ep interviewing a guy who was in Northern Ireland during the Troubles in the 80s and it is fascinating, I didn’t know how advanced IRA tactics were or the conditions for the British troops. Gives more context to what was going on in Londonderry as a backdrop to the excellent show Derry girls.

One concern I have with UK podcasts is sometimes I can’t get past accents (definitely a me problem, but Scottish wrestling shows that use slang are indecipherable) but so far not an issue with this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

The Falklands 2 parter really stuck with me, with his description of a company attack at night without night vision, against a dug in enemy of equal or superior numbers that starts off through a minefield.

Just absolutely mental and somehow ends in success.