Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The tradition is to only use chicken in the chanko during the basho. At other times they'll include pork etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Kenning posted:

The tradition is to only use chicken in the chanko during the basho. At other times they'll include pork etc.
Thanks--I didn't know that! Thank God they get some variety, yeesh.

E to avoid a double post: A good article by John Gunning in the Japan Times, looking back on the weird year of sumo that was 2022 (paywall removed): https://archive.vn/4QFqj

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 24, 2022

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Idk where else to post this but this is a pretty cool sumo adjacent insta https://instagram.com/boston_bokh_shuaijiao

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ham Equity posted:

I asked earlier about sumo tickets, and someone quoted me this:

We get into Osaka on the 26th, which is the last day for the March basho; would we be wildly unlikely to get tickets for that day?

You can buy in advance. You'll have no chance if you turn up on the day. If you want a box seat, you'll want to order it the moment they released and even then it'll be tricky. (Or buy it from 3rd party sites, who will add their fat profit on top).

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

7 minutes on Takayasu, via Chris sumo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H362aWy5rIY

I knew the pre-playoff fall against Abi looked bad but drat he landed directly on his head.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Being new to sumo, this might be a naive question, but have they ever discussed changing the ring to something more... flat? Seems like having the ring elevated like that will always lead to injuries.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Average Lettuce posted:

Being new to sumo, this might be a naive question, but have they ever discussed changing the ring to something more... flat? Seems like having the ring elevated like that will always lead to injuries.

Tradition is an extremely powerful force across the sport so I don’t think it’s likely — only with the latest round of new coaches is modern training methodology even coming into consideration.

It sounds sarcastic but probably assume the proverbial old men of sumo would prefer death to changing anything as central as the ring.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

They won't let female medics into the ring to stop people dying or female governors to present awards, theyre not gonna lower the ring just to prevent wrestlers from being injured for no reason

The contrast between the sense of dignity and grotesque exploitation is part of what makes sumo compelling, though makes it a guilty pleasure if I think too hard about it

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

idk, injuries in sumo can have a really bad impact on wrestlers (lowering their rank, forcing them to try and wrestle when they aren't 100%), I'd rather avoid them when possible.

I never really thought about the absence of women around the ring too, hopefully the sport evolves in that sense as well.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Average Lettuce posted:

idk, injuries in sumo can have a really bad impact on wrestlers (lowering their rank, forcing them to try and wrestle when they aren't 100%), I'd rather avoid them when possible.

Yeah I agree!
Just doubtful anything will be done about it.

Some of the more brutal rules, like the one about being demoted if you're out with injury, are recent changes, not tradition.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I hate to sound like an old man but the elevated ring adds so much to watching sumo for me.

Maybe what they should do is make the elevated area a lot wider so there are fewer falls?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Build a moat around the dohyo

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Literal splash zone. I like it. Could have a special prize award for most fans drenched.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

the yeti posted:

Tradition is an extremely powerful force across the sport so I don’t think it’s likely — only with the latest round of new coaches is modern training methodology even coming into consideration.

It sounds sarcastic but probably assume the proverbial old men of sumo would prefer death to changing anything as central as the ring.

The thing about sumo being rigid and unchanging and hyper-traditional is a weird bit of kayfabe. They change stuff all the time. The kosho seido system (allowing rank protection for one basho in the case of injury) was abolished in 2003, after having been established in 1972. The number of basho was set at 6 in 1958, the number of days in a basho was set at 15 in 1949, the roof of the dohyo was suspended from the ceiling (rather than being on pillars) in 1952. The size of the dohyo was increased in 1931, and the shikiri-sen were added in 1928, shortly after the modern sumo association was formed in 1927 when the Osaka and Tokyo associations merged. They're fine making changes.

Certainly the sumo world wants to give the impression that sumo is a bastion of traditional Japanese values and culture, unchanging since time immemorial, because that sort of weird nationalism is really important to certain rich/influential sumo fans that help support the sport. Certainly some elders are also arch-traditionalists, but someone like Hakkaku gives the impression of being much more of a pragmatist. The issue of injuries in top talent is clearly a problem, not just because it means that someone like Takayasu or Ura gets hurt and fans don't get to see them fight, but also because I have to imagine it makes recruiting new wrestlers harder.

They might lower the dohyo. I doubt it'll ever be lowered to ground level, but shaving 100 cm off the top would probably reduce some amount of risk. They could institute some other injury management protocol like the kosho seido again. The best thing they could do would be to reduce the number of basho per year, but I doubt that ever happens. The JSA is slow-moving and conservative, but they do change things, and with people like Miyagno (Hakuho) and Nishonoseki (Kisenosato) and Naruto (Kotooshu) all talking about modernizing the sporting aspects of sumo I suspect we'll see things like this coming around in the next 5 or so years.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

he deleted his discord acct o i can't find his posts during our conversation about it to share but fwiw john gunning is adamant that the ring height isn't an issue. this isn't to say he's 100% right or should be taken as infallible ofc, but given that he's a sumo expert who's done training in the sport and has been happy to criticize the NSK on other issues it felt worth pointing out.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Kenning posted:

They might lower the dohyo. I doubt it'll ever be lowered to ground level, but shaving 100 cm off the top would probably reduce some amount of risk.

I'm not sure lowering the dohyo below ground level would help. I'm sure the little step would cause more injuries.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Thauros posted:

he deleted his discord acct o i can't find his posts during our conversation about it to share but fwiw john gunning is adamant that the ring height isn't an issue. this isn't to say he's 100% right or should be taken as infallible ofc, but given that he's a sumo expert who's done training in the sport and has been happy to criticize the NSK on other issues it felt worth pointing out.

i am not a sumo expert nor have i trained in it but i have first hand experience with the problems put on things like you're knees when you run down normal sized stairs as a normal sized human. i literally wince when they land on their feet falling off the dohyo.

Cocomonk3
Oct 21, 2010

Kenning posted:

The thing about sumo being rigid and unchanging and hyper-traditional is a weird bit of kayfabe. They change stuff all the time. The kosho seido system (allowing rank protection for one basho in the case of injury) was abolished in 2003, after having been established in 1972. The number of basho was set at 6 in 1958, the number of days in a basho was set at 15 in 1949, the roof of the dohyo was suspended from the ceiling (rather than being on pillars) in 1952. The size of the dohyo was increased in 1931, and the shikiri-sen were added in 1928, shortly after the modern sumo association was formed in 1927 when the Osaka and Tokyo associations merged. They're fine making changes.

So the last change they made, which was reverting back to how it was 50 years ago, was done almost 20 years ago? And the major change before that was 64 years ago?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

One of the key things I like about sumo, is the traditions.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Cocomonk3 posted:

So the last change they made, which was reverting back to how it was 50 years ago, was done almost 20 years ago? And the major change before that was 64 years ago?

I think a major rule change every 20-25 years is a pretty reasonable pace of progress, and essentially represents generational change in the ranks of the oyakata, who turn over roughly every 30 years. As far as I can tell the last major rule changes in the NBA took place in the mid-70s with dunking and 3 point shots. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

This isn't to say that the NBA is a moribund institution steeped in tradition and cultural biases, just to point out that sumo is as concerned with changing its fundamental rules (and demotion criteria are as fundamental to sumo as scoring is to basketball) as any other sporting association, so we shouldn't despair of the JSA ever making changes to address the issue of injury.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Average Lettuce posted:

I never really thought about the absence of women around the ring too, hopefully the sport evolves in that sense as well.

These are the same grumpy old men who would rather see quite literally the best to ever grace the ring retire rather than take six months off for surgery and rehab. Their dedication to appearing to honor tradition (despite the increase in tourneys per year being modern) is more important than not crippling and vastly shortening the career of rikishi.

Tochi would be an Ozeki now if he could have taken time off to get his knee repaired before the damage was too permanent. Terunofuji's Yokozuna reign will be short for the same reason.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Dec 22, 2022

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The dohyo height also helps with visibility because of the loads of people who sit right near it

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

These are the same grumpy old men who would rather see quite literally the best to ever grace the ring retire rather than take six months off for surgery and rehab. Their dedication to appearing to honor tradition (despite the increase in tourneys per year being modern) is more important than not crippling and vastly shortening the career of rikishi.

Tochi would be an Ozeki now if he could have taken time off to get his knee repaired before the damage was too permanent. Terunofuji's Yokozuna reign will be short for the same reason.

Not to beat a dead horse, but Hakuho retiring at 36 after 14 years at yokozuna wasn't just because the JSA and YDC were trying to uphold tradition, it was cause he was old and sumo is crazy on the body. Age at retirement for various dai-yokozuna:

Asashoryu: 29*
Musashimaru: 32
Takanohana: 30
Akebono: 31
Chiyonofuji: 35
Kitanoumi: 31
Kitanofuji: 32
Taiho: 31

Starting in 2016, after 9 years at the top, Hakuho missed or partially sat out 17 out of 34 basho. His final zensho-yusho was the first he'd completed in over a year. He was given plenty of recovery time, and at various points the YDC was even specifically generous to him about it.

The sumo association definitely has some dumb fixations and bad protocols – Hokutofuji doing a torinaoshi after obviously getting a concussion back in 2018 was terrible – but it's weird to mystify them as somehow the reason that a man in his mid-30s could no longer dominate a physically extreme combat sport. W/r/t Tochi and Teru, torn ACLs are pretty hard to come back from in any sport. Sure you can take a year or two to slowly recover, but during that time you're aging, missing out on training, and new talent is coming up, besides the fact that ligament injuries almost never recover to 100%. That's as true for a running back as it is for a sumo wrestler.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Dec 22, 2022

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
On first glance dohyo height seems like a risk factor, I guess we'd need to see someone break down the instances of injuries tied to falling from height and see if there is any significant relationship - sort of like you're seeing now with turf fields in the NFL.

Still though, much like the NFL, the ruling bodies may just say gently caress it and keep doing what they're doing in the face of evidence :shrug:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Kenning posted:

W/r/t Tochi and Teru, torn ACLs are pretty hard to come back from in any sport.

Also, Terunofuji's 31 right now. Even if he were healthy and didn't suffer from his medical problems, he's right in that age bracket with the retiring dai-yokozuna. Hell, it's the same age Isegahama-oyakata retired at. His yokozuna reign will be short because he got to the rank late, not because he's being forced into an early retirement. Sumo is a very physically demanding sport and retirement at 30-something isn't a career cut drastically short.

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

One of the Senseis from the karate dojo I train at is going to Tokyo for senior Dan training in January and, more importantly, has managed to secure tickets for the January basho. I am mad jealous.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I remember in one of Chris Sumo's videos he talks about how wrestlers are trained to fall if they take a tumble off the dohyo. Of course no amount of training is going to help you if you fall on the top of your head but wrestlers can lessen the impact of what look to be quite nasty falls. Hibikiryu died last year after hitting his head while attempting a throw on the dohyo so it's not just falls off the dohyo that are life threatening.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I wonder how much not having the fans right there would help. During the bashos where there weren't people on the floor, the wrestlers clearly used the space well to run off momentum instead of having awkward falls to avoid crushing elder fans.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Shiroc posted:

I wonder how much not having the fans right there would help. During the bashos where there weren't people on the floor, the wrestlers clearly used the space well to run off momentum instead of having awkward falls to avoid crushing elder fans.

They actually moved the fancy seats back a bit at some point. They used to be right against the dohyo.

E. I think being crushed by rikiski is a feature of those seats, not a bug.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Elissimpark posted:

Splash zone!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Elissimpark posted:

They actually moved the fancy seats back a bit at some point. They used to be right against the dohyo.

If Ura fell on me I'd never wash again.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Dying by falling rikishi would be the best way to go out imo

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Vargatron posted:

Dying by falling rikishi would be the best way to go out imo

The rarest kimarite.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

One of the classic sumo sights is a 200kg man slamming into a 98 year old to their visible delight

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Communist Thoughts posted:

One of the classic sumo sights is a 200kg man slamming into a 98 year old to their visible delight

Maybe too long for a thread title but if not…

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Chinook posted:

Maybe too long for a thread title but if not…

Shorten it to: Sumo: A 200kg man slamming into a 98 year old to their visible delight

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Make it 190kg so it can be a 420lb man

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Banzuke is out. 4 Sekiwake and 4 Komosubi. January going to be wild

https://www.sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoBanzuke/index/

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

JSA stacking the Sekitori ranks in the hope that one of these clowns makes Ozeki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Time for Takayasu to return to ozeki if he didn’t break his neck or skull