Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

1 valid Y/O draft option then 8 picks for S/K lol. January fantasy draft gonna be hilarious.

E: oof, hell of a drop for salt bae, and that Tokushoryu retirement announcement's gotta be coming soon.

anakha fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Shiroc posted:

Time for Takayasu to return to ozeki if he didn’t break his neck or skull

Hasn't happened since 1939

anakha posted:

E: oof, hell of a drop for salt bae.

In the long run it might've been better for him to end up in Makushita so he can at least have a lighter schedule in January.

Brut fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 25, 2022

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

anakha posted:

1 valid Y/O draft option then 8 picks for S/K lol. January fantasy draft gonna be hilarious.

Yeah might have to make a Y/O/S round for this one.

Wild to think we had 4 Yokozuna not that long ago

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Its time for the return of Ozeki Shodai.

This Banzuke is all over the place. Lots of guys not getting dropped as far as they should, like Ichinojo and Ura, because everyone else below them were so bad.

Its going to be a crapshoot to see if I can practice my brand of fantasy sumo and hold on to the title.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Mildly surprised that Oho only landed at M8, but he's unproven in Makuuchi so I guess it makes sense. Will be interesting to see if he can have another good basho and jump to the top of Maegashira.

Also interested to see if Tochi bombs out of Makuuchi and starts his retirement arc or manages to squeak out a KK again.

Sanyaku is of course the most interesting bit. So stacked.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Given the present social and geopolitical situations we find ourselves in, I'd be happy with 1 thing that's a positive echo of 1939.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Shiroc posted:

Given the present social and geopolitical situations we find ourselves in, I'd be happy with 1 thing that's a positive echo of 1939.

lmao

Nativity In Black posted:

Mildly surprised that Oho only landed at M8, but he's unproven in Makuuchi so I guess it makes sense. Will be interesting to see if he can have another good basho and jump to the top of Maegashira.

Also interested to see if Tochi bombs out of Makuuchi and starts his retirement arc or manages to squeak out a KK again.

Sanyaku is of course the most interesting bit. So stacked.

Yeah you're right, that's a little low

Tochinoshin should be able to stay in Makuuchi for another basho if he gets better than like, a 5-10 or so, I think. (haven't queried that database on that one so maybe I'm off a bit :shrug:), I hope he gets kachikoshi though.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Crazy Christmas with Chris sumo reporting on a JSA meeting following reported bullying at Isegahama beya, and two rikishi found guilty. Apparently one will be forced to retire, and Isegahama himself has tendered his resignation from the board.

Goes on to say Ichinojo will be serving a ban for January for breaking COVID protocol and that the alleged abuse and drinking all happened more than 4 years ago :tinfoil:

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

Yeah might have to make a Y/O/S round for this one.

Wild to think we had 4 Yokozuna not that long ago

Agreed.

Y/O/S
K
M1-M5
M6-M10
M11-M15

This seems like a good way to draft due to only Takakeisho being available at Y/O for Jan.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Crazy Christmas with Chris sumo reporting on a JSA meeting following reported bullying at Isegahama beya, and two rikishi found guilty. Apparently one will be forced to retire, and Isegahama himself has tendered his resignation from the board.

Goes on to say Ichinojo will be serving a ban for January for breaking COVID protocol and that the alleged abuse and drinking all happened more than 4 years ago :tinfoil:

I can only imagine the poo poo eating grin Hakuho has today, hopefully he recommends Isegahama be forced to write a letter to the JSA promising to be well behaved before they let him run a stable.

https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14451823

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

So the JSA is giving Snorlax the tiniest of slaps on the wrist, and washing their hands of it?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

loving hell

https://hochi.news/articles/20221226-OHT1T51169.html?page=1

'in late april, Rikishi A struck Rikishi B in their training area with a block of wood intended for use in push-up training. in july, while staying in lodgings for the nagoya basho, Rikishi A punched Rikishi B four to five times in the belly and twice trampled on him while he was on the ground. on august 7th, Rikishi A threw hot water from the stable's chanko pot onto Rikishi B's back, burning him'

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Bentai posted:

So the JSA is giving Snorlax the tiniest of slaps on the wrist, and washing their hands of it?

Him being ranked so high on this banzuke makes sense now. He will fall to m15 or m16 at the lowest.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rikishi A sounds like a bit of a dick

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

anakha posted:

E: oof, hell of a drop for salt bae, and that Tokushoryu retirement announcement's gotta be coming soon.

tthem promoting wakamotoharu takes away my go to makuuchi joi pick

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
When was the last time we had brothers in sanyaku?

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Brut posted:

When was the last time we had brothers in sanyaku?

Probably when we had dual brothers at Yokozuna

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Thauros posted:

tthem promoting wakamotoharu takes away my go to makuuchi joi pick

There might be very good value in drafting M4-5 this basho. having 9(!) active guys in sanyaku means those two lower ranks will be avoiding the meatgrinder entirely.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Fluffdaddy posted:

Probably when we had dual brothers at Yokozuna

Yeah I couldn't think of anyone but wakanohana/takanohana off the top of my head but I'm not that familiar with the 90s/2000s sumo history

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Interesting vid from a different source. Hawaiian Ozeki Konishiki watching sumo depictions in movies and explaining how accurate it is and what they are going for.

https://youtu.be/1Z9wVo4TgW0

Brut posted:

Yeah I couldn't think of anyone but wakanohana/takanohana off the top of my head but I'm not that familiar with the 90s/2000s sumo history

I don't know anyone between Wakanohana/Takanohana and the Wakas, but the first pair of simultaneous sanyaku bros were Terao and Sakahoko in 1989. Terao was in the news recently as he is now Shikoroyama and is Abi's stablemaster though unfortunately he was in hospital during the basho so he missed seeing it. Sakahoko became Izutsu, taking over the stable from their dad and coaches up Kakuryu before he passed a couple years ago.

Also in familial banzuke records, Kotonowaka beats Oho to be the first 3rd generation sanyaku.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Hey everybody! I'm planning on doing a thread reset for the new year. Can you post your favorite sumo resources? I'm looking for the following:

Youtube/video channels
Livestreamers
Podcasts
Twitter accounts
etc.

Hoping to get it posted in the next day or two. Thanks!

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

YouTube: Sumo Prime Time
Live Streamer: MidnightSumo
Shitposting: Reddit SumoMemes

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Twitter: Sumo Follower

YouTube: Kintamayama

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Log082 posted:

There are three options I personally like.

NHK does a highlights stream each day, streamed on their website: https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/ It has English commentary and is really good for people new to sumo as the commentary will describe strategy, moves, and judges decisions. However, they only show matches for the top ranks, and not always all of those.

Natto Sumo https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErxT8KRQi3JJEwMCDrcHBg does compilations of the top three ranks, and presents in depth stat cards prior to each match. However they don't have commentary so it can be a bit tricky to follow if you're new to the sport.

Finally, there are a few twitch channels that stream matches live, starting between 7:30ish and 9:30ish EST depending on the night's schedule. Live matches start with the lowest ranks and gradually work their way to the highest, so you're not going to see Makushita (the highest ranks) until late at night/early morning. Low rank sumo is still fun to watch, though, if not always the same demonstration of skill and athleticism as the upper ranks.

Of these twitch channels, Midnight Sumo https://twitch.tv/MidnightSumo is my personal preference. Midnight posts stats and a short biography before each match, even for the lowest ranked rikishi, which is great when otherwise you'd have no idea who you're watching. The chat is also small enough to have conversations about the match, and people there are very knowledgeable and happy to answer questions.

edit: low ranked sumo https://clips.twitch.tv/CreativeBillowingTruffleTBTacoRight-OU8TGPRibXeHVvpP

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
She's on a break but

https://youtube.com/@Sumostew

The best

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i know a blog kinda sounds hilarious in 2022 but we're posting on a loving web forum and i find tachiai an invaluable resource that covers all thevital facets like in ring tactics, promotion/relegation considerations, and off-dohyo drama well.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

All the links given are great.

Don't forget the obvious Sumodb http://sumodb.sumogames.de/

Thauros posted:

i know a blog kinda sounds hilarious in 2022 but we're posting on a loving web forum and i find tachiai an invaluable resource that covers all thevital facets like in ring tactics, promotion/relegation considerations, and off-dohyo drama well.

I love tachiai. Not as immediate as twitter, but you can actually find stuff that happened more than 2 days ago.

Sumo Prime Time and Sumostew are great channels. SPT is a lot more fun than I expected for something JSA backed. But I'm just glad there's more on YT between basho than Chris, who probably still deserves a mention because he does do some interesting match analysis and gets some cool shots, but his op ed stuff...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My favourite Sumo resource is the Sumo Mainichi podcast. It's so lighthearted and has a lighter feel to it than the other sumo podcasts for some reason. Maybe it's the accents :haw:

I'm sad that they switched to a pre/post basho format rather than covering every day but good god I can't blame them -- coming up with an hour long podcast for 15+ days straight every basho for YEARS must have been some kind of slog. Not at all surprised they burned out at the end, but I'm also really glad we still get a pre basho episode, post basho episode, and a banzuke episode now. Plus last time they did a midway recap too, so I think they found their right cadence.

I don't think they deliver any particular cutting edge insight or anything (and I don't mean that negatively), but I get exactly what I want out of that show: The vibe of just sitting around with friends and lightheartedly bullshitting about sumo.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
There's Sumo Forum, which is where Kintamiyama posts. Not sure if John Gunning does anymore. If you dig a bit, you can find lots of obscure stuff and photos.

Do not, I repeat, do not go to Sumo Talk unless you hate yourself. It's like QAnon for Sumo.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Most of the good ones have been taken, but since rikishi are banned from social media don't forget a couple Yokozuna living their best lives out there

https://twitter.com/Asashoryu/status/1608236188229578752?s=20

https://twitter.com/HakuhoSho69/status/1605047428524044288?s=20

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
https://bigsumofan.com/ for (US) people who want to easily get official sumo merchandise and tegata

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Elissimpark posted:

Do not, I repeat, do not go to Sumo Talk unless you hate yourself. It's like QAnon for Sumo.

drat, you weren't kidding. I can't imagine wanting to continue watching the sport if you truly think yaocho and mukiryokuzumo are the only reasons that unexpected outcomes ever happen (to touch on the main writer's apparent core belief).

Also, you gotta have a lot of faith in Terunofuji's acting ability to assert - as this site does - that actually Teru is totally fine and he's just sitting out these honbasho for... reasons...

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

One week to Basho!

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

https://twitter.com/masa_eva9/status/1609105508836966408?t=qB-EixaW10GRhpIklUtL8g&s=19

I have no idea what this is

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Enho hauled some serious rear end there.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

I have no idea what this is
it's a celebrity edition of Run for Money (sorry for tv tropes link, but it's the only english-language summary i could find lol)

the boxes along the runway all have money in them, increasing in amount the further they are from the exit, contestant picks one and then has a 5 second headstart to undo the lock and make it back to the exit before being caught by the black-clad hunter guys. enho picked the one closest to the hunters that had like $3k in it and still made it back, a pretty good showing

edit: also the header chryon calls him the 牛若丸 ('ushiwakamaru') of the reiwa era, which i eventually found is an alternate name for Minamoto no Yoshitsune, but apparently is also the name of anime character so when i looked it up to see who enho is the reiwa version of, all the results were like

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 1, 2023

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

This is quality dudes rock content

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Apraxin posted:

edit: also the header chryon calls him the 牛若丸 ('ushiwakamaru') of the reiwa era, which i eventually found is an alternate name for Minamoto no Yoshitsune, but apparently is also the name of anime character so when i looked it up to see who enho is the reiwa version of, all the results were like

lol

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Let me be the first to welcome you all to the YEAR OF SHODAI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Let me be the first to welcome you all to the YEAR OF SHODAI.