Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
As a woman who doesn't like other punch sports, I do like how the violence is not the point of sumo. You're not trying to hurt the other person in the same way as something like boxing. Obviously people still get hurt badly but the majority of it is just pushing and grappling versus punching a guy as hard as you can as much as you can.

The culture around it, at least as presented to the US viewer, is also a lot less bro-y macho poo poo. There is ceremony, the wrestlers are to treat each other with respect, there are expectations of modesty and dignity. The scandals that come out of course involve how at least some of the wrestlers are still big macho idiots who treat people like poo poo but it feels strongly counterbalanced by guys who Takayasu who just seem like delights outside the dohyo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Femme horny sumo content is exactly what I knew I always wanted.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The sheer variety of rikishi body types. Then you have the men who truly stand alone like Takakeisho, Kagayaki, AOIYAMA and Akiseyama.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 22, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
'What should Hakuho's last basho be?' is hard to peg. It would be cool to see him go 15-0 again but if he does, he absolutely would decide he's good to keep going. Something mediocre like 10-5 would be disappointing. Passing the torch absolutely isn't him because he is a bully rear end in a top hat to challengers. Its gotta be something special.

Dias posted:

Kenning, you should add the hot rikishi video to the OP, preferably the top of it.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Even recognizing that everyone would do better with time off, that Hakuho hasn't had a single completed tournament with less than 10 wins, with 15-0s and 14-1s in there, is ridiculous. His last <10 win completed tournament was 2006 when he was an ozeki.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I just ordered an Ozeki era Tochinoshin tegata and one from AOIYAMA. I'm going to call my tegata collection complete for now.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Chinook posted:

Yeah I mean you got both the main ones

I do also have my Hakuho, Takayasu and Kisenosato ones that out for framing. If they come out as well as they should, I'll get the two new ones to match that set. And have a big confusing to everyone I know display of handprints.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
A real one, especially from the top rankers with the extra stamps, is an honestly gorgeous art piece. If you want one and can afford it, I'd say to go for it.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Martytoof posted:

Do they sell authentic tegata at the Kokugikan or the little outdoor market they have on the way to the train station, or are they only available if you know someone? I could have sworn all the tegata I saw for sale inside were the re-print kind.

I think that’ll be the souvenir I aim for if I go next May.

My understanding is that all authentic tegata are, by sumo rule, only allowed to be given by the rikishi to their supporters for free. The recipients are allowed to sell them. The association only sells prints.

Mine have all come from here: https://bigsumofan.com/collections/products-for-sumo-fans/products/authentic-autographs-handprint-and-signature-tegata which I don't think are the best prices but they get a lot and you can email the owner to ask for specific wrestlers. He let me know as soon as he got in the Hakuho one that I bought. Ships fast and in good packaging.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Secretly my picks have always heavily weighted who is the cutest (Takayasu)

Y/O Terunofuji/Takakeisho/Hakuho
S/K Meisei/Wakatakakage/Mitakeumi (TAKAYASU In my heart)
M1-M5 Chiyotairyu/Koteko/Endo
M6-10 AOIYAMA/Onosho/Kiribayama
M11+ Chiyomaru/Tochinoshin/Kaisei

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 2, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Tochinoshin has many giant powerful man highlights but his fight with Enho was both giant powerful man highlights and hilarious https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12fHeFA3nGg

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Looking up Dewanojo led me to here, in case anyone ever needs to know: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_heaviest_sumo_wrestlers

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
My tegata of Tochinoshin's mighty left hand and AOIYAMA's powerful right arrived today

I like the splatters on Tochinoshin's. Slapping hard on the tegata boards.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 1, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Sadly removed TAKAYASU, added the spiritual successor of Goeido on san'yaku disappointment, Mitakeumi, if I have to, I guess.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Martytoof posted:

Gonna be funny when Hakuho drops out and someone else tweaks something and we’re all literally adding the same two guys.

Everything coming down to how AOIYAMA does as people's middle maegashira pick.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
In my head, Tochinoshin will forever be the guy he was on his yusho to Ozeki run. Absolutely the strongest man and unbeatable if he got his grip. Memories https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XwYrilZR5A

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
An inauspicious star for Shiroco-beya.

I'm torn on how to feel about day 1 of Hakuho. I'm happy he won but he would not have been so hard pressed in the past. Hopefully he can gut it out and use his perfect sumo brain to be competitive the whole time.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Hakuho looked more like himself today. I'm looking forward to a day 15 where both he and Terunofuji are 14-0 and Hakuho pulls his final, most glorious henka.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Hakuho's expressions after his day 4 match were amazing. I love that man.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I enjoy that Tochinoshin does big boy henkas whenever he really needs a win.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

captainblastum posted:

I think that this is a strong (heh) contender for peak Tochinoshin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDJWW1cd5lc

I had forgotten how loud the big matches were in the before times. I miss when Tochinoshin's left hand grip could not be beaten.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I don't have to worry about trade or injury impacts because I will never change my initial lineup of guys, even if I'm stuck with Mitakeumi.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
My refusal to change my team is having a weird effect right now because I would otherwise trade Mitakeumi for Takayasu out of arbitrary dislike for Mitakeumi but he's one of my only two guys doing well. My hope of staying in the top division is on the shoulders of my least favorite san'yaku regular now that Asanoyama is in horny jail.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I only ever got to see 4 Kisenosato complete basho but I love the guy. I'll always be sad for the lost potential of if he hadn't gotten hurt or had been able to heal properly.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
That Hakuho absolutely could henka Terunofuji on day 15 has to be sitting in his mind. It so easily will be a fight that's over well before the tachiai

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm really surprised that Takayasu lost today. I felt like he never loses fights when they lock up and he could outlast anybody.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Weeks before tournament: It is nice that Hakuho will appear but there is no way he lasts the full 15 days
First Couple Days of tournament: Hakuho is shaky but maybe he can be respectable through this basho
Rest of tournament: The No Armed, One Knee Man Can Literally Destroy Anyone He Pleases

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 16, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Takayasu seems like he'll either make it back to ozeki straight up in a basho or two or his injuries will keep him from it. Giving it to him 'easy' then him underperforming due to injury would be the worst possible outcome from a sumo optics perspective.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Kenning posted:

{speculative confidence in Mitakeumi}

I'd be shocked if he actually pulled it out. He's so wildly inconsistent that if he miraculously put it together, he'd absolutely be a Goeido-type. Mediocre ozeki riding 8-7/9-6s and kadoban hard.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Marching Powder posted:

Is there something that I was factually incorrect about with regards to how the racists of Japan are racist? If the racists of Japan are racist in a different way I'd like to apologise to all Japanese racists for mischaracterising how they are wrong.

It has a 'everybody is racist but the way that the Japanese are racist is really hosed up' energy, intended or not. Like racism about them doing racism bad.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The discussions of the sumo old men occasionally feel like if the MLB Hall of Fame voters got to have active influence during a player's career instead of only afterwards. Lots of unwritten but understood rules and weird grudges for all sorts of reasons about if someone is doing the sport 'the right way'. But losing some of the ceremony and idiosyncrasy of yokozuna promotions would make them less special and too inflexible. If it was officially 'two consecutive basho wins at ozeki' then Kisenosato probably wouldn't have gotten his deserved rope since you wouldn't be able to have considered the previous year. If Hakuho beats Terunofuji on day 15, then Terunofuji doesn't get it even though he absolutely should and is the best rikishi once Hakuho retires.

It feels like for the promotions at least, it mostly works out because we usually end up only talking about guys who got 'undeserved' promotions to ozeki or yokozuna instead of people who should have but didn't.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

lol. I've never seen such obvious and utter contempt for an opponent as 'competition' in a sport before.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Every basho I keep hoping Shodai will show up with a bit of that Hakuho/Terunofuji-style mean streak and just start bullying guys. You see glimpses of it every now and again, but even during his Yusho and Ozeki run it was a rarity. When you're dominating and creative you're a sumo genius, when you're maddeningly inconsistent and creative it's labeled clown sumo.

In spite of everything, Shodai still came within an inch or two of winning last night

Shodai is just a weird rikishi because he's made it to ozeki cleanly. He's obviously very good on a relative scale at least. I just have no idea at what. Terunofuji is stronger than everyone. Asanoyama had solid fundamental sumo until horny jail (and did get ozeki cheap). Takakeisho's pushing attack is amazing when it hits. Shodai is just there with the NHK commentators occasionally assuring me he's very good at beltless sumo but it never looks that special to me.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Macaron will be white for the purity of sumo that is a future yokozuna contesting the greatest yokozuna for a zensho yusho.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
We will witness the greatest bout in the history of sumo. The kami themselves will appear in visible form before the audience to congratulate the winner. After a long mono-ii, the decision will be reversed due to an obviously inadvertent tape caused topknot pull.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I can't believe that it actually ended up being the greatest bout I have ever seen. Holy poo poo. I hope Hakuho is just saying he's staying around to keep the Olympics stuff 'above board' because there is no ending he could have better than that. I don't want to see Hakuho eventually have to crash out because he can't win anymore.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Eustace posted:

Hakuho's slap to forearm strike to unserhook is such an effective combo for him that I wonder why more rikishi dont attempt to try a similar strategy. It really seems like Hakuho is way ahead of the game on technique, propriety be damned

I feel like Hakuho, like with everything else, is operating on a different level with his slaps and shivers. Most people seem to only manage to piss off their opponents when they slap. Hakuho seems to break people entirely with it and I can't imagine he's hitting harder than anyone else. It just seems like another thing that he knows exactly when and how to deploy it for maximum effect.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I do like that sumo is the 'least violent' of fight sports but I have a hard time feeling like Hakuho's level of violence is that out of step with the rest of the field. Tachi-ais are explosive hits. So many guys do shoulder blasts and shivers. Neck thrusts happen constantly. Tons of people slap and tsuppari battles are fairly regular. The most shocking thing about Hakuho is that he's so efficient and doesn't lose when he does it so you don't get the 'he just made them mad and this was his mistake for slapping' release.

That said, I think its a part of why I want him to stop here. As his body continues to decline and he can't go head to head as well, he'll probably rely on this as a daily thing instead of precisely deployed and it would start feeling worse.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The week before and week after is when I'm most likely to buy sumo merch to fill the void.

Speaking of, I have a picture banzuke from this basho coming in the new couple days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The YDC are not happy with Hakuho, in particular with his Shodai bout and his forearm shiver against Terunofuji

https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14399422

article posted:

“I would like to praise myself,” the yokozuna said.