Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I mean, we're discussing a guy who went notable levels of insane in the Trump era when he already began at "Big Frozen Pizza is sending agents to grocery stores to hide my burritos so they fail" in the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

secretly best girl posted:

I mean, we're discussing a guy who went notable levels of insane in the Trump era when he already began at "Big Frozen Pizza is sending agents to grocery stores to hide my burritos so they fail" in the 90s.

Yeah but Dilbert was funny in the 90s

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He was better at hiding his weird tendencies back in the 90s.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Social media didn't exist yet.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I remember around 95 Adams had an email newsletter. Even as a young, dumb rear end in a top hat I found it to be pretty toxic.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Every Dilbert Comic I’ve Ever Seen:

BOSS: I’m asking you to do something stupid.

DILBERT: But that will be a huge waste of my time.

BOSS: I didn’t hear or understand what you said, because I am dumb and self-absorbed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Splint Chesthair posted:

Every Dilbert Comic I’ve Ever Seen:

BOSS: I’m asking you to do something stupid.

DILBERT: But that will be a huge waste of my time.

BOSS: I didn’t hear or understand what you said, because I am dumb and self-absorbed.

Yeah, early Dilbert was a pretty accurate depiction of working in an office.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

secretly best girl posted:

I always forget he's vegetarian, since everything else about him screams "performitively talk about how delicious steak is when they realize there's a vegan in the room."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't he on the Neal Adams 'gravity is a conspiracy because the world is actually constantly expanding' brand of nutty?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't he on the Neal Adams 'gravity is a conspiracy because the world is actually constantly expanding' brand of nutty?

No, more straight forward ultra-right-wing nutjob. I mean even before everyone that was right-wing in the US swung hard for ultra-right-wing nutjob.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Random Stranger posted:

No, more straight forward ultra-right-wing nutjob. I mean even before everyone that was right-wing in the US swung hard for ultra-right-wing nutjob.

He's both. Like third of one of his prose books is about the "Earth is constantly expanding" thing.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
He is a Trump fan but thinks of himself as "one of the smart ones". The amount of times he has said something incredibly stupid on Twitter and got called out on it only to go around and say "oh I meant to say something incredibly stupid just to see if you libtards were paying attention" (no exact words but that's the gist of it) is staggering.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Not dire newspaper strip artist.

https://twitter.com/billamend/status/1417997318230396931?s=20

Potentially :nws: for cartoon 🍆.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Saw some recent Dilbert comics posted on another site and good Lord is it some dire stuff, this might just be the most severe drop in quality for a newspaper comic(by a single creator) from its peak I've ever seen

Here comes the cock boat!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Skwirl posted:

He's both. Like third of one of his prose books is about the "Earth is constantly expanding" thing.

It's the same book where he talks about how he may have won a Pulitzer because he spent every day writing "I, Scott Adams, will win a Pulitzer Prize" on a piece of paper and reality eventually bent to his whim.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Argue posted:

It's the same book where he talks about how he may have won a Pulitzer because he spent every day writing "I, Scott Adams, will win a Pulitzer Prize" on a piece of paper and reality eventually bent to his whim.

It worked for The Invisibles, kind of.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

drrockso20 posted:

Saw some recent Dilbert comics posted on another site and good Lord is it some dire stuff, this might just be the most severe drop in quality for a newspaper comic(by a single creator) from its peak I've ever seen

Just read Gamer Dilbert, it's way better

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

How Wonderful! posted:

It worked for The Invisibles, kind of.

I can almost believe it really worked because I ended up buying that jerkoff spell issue of The Invisibles under semi-mysterious circumstances after I’d dropped out of buying comics for a while. I stepped out of my house without a jacket in the middle of a snowstorm one evening, and for some reason (because I was a dumb teenager) walked in no particular direction through the snow for an hour before I realized I was near the comic store I used to shop at. I went in and bought that issue of The Invisibles plus The Big Book of Conspiracies. Kind of spooky to me because I had no conscious intention of doing any of that.

But then I didn’t buy another issue of The Invisibles for a couple years, because that particular issue was in the middle of a storyline and was full of almost dialogue-free action with no explanation of what was going on. Maybe not the best issue to work that spell on.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Servoret posted:

I can almost believe it really worked because I ended up buying that jerkoff spell issue of The Invisibles under semi-mysterious circumstances after I’d dropped out of buying comics for a while. I stepped out of my house without a jacket in the middle of a snowstorm one evening, and for some reason (because I was a dumb teenager) walked in no particular direction through the snow for an hour before I realized I was near the comic store I used to shop at. I went in and bought that issue of The Invisibles plus The Big Book of Conspiracies. Kind of spooky to me because I had no conscious intention of doing any of that.

But then I didn’t buy another issue of The Invisibles for a couple years, because that particular issue was in the middle of a storyline and was full of almost dialogue-free action with no explanation of what was going on. Maybe not the best issue to work that spell on.

The Big Book Of series is very underrated and I would pay good money for them to be rereleased

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

The Big Book Of series is very underrated and I would pay good money for them to be rereleased

90% of them you can still get pretty cheap because they were mass market paperbacks and sold pretty well in regular bookstores. They also had an absolutely amazing line up of talent working on them since they could go to pretty much anyone and say, "Wanna do three pages on something you find amusing in this topic?" I keep meaning to pick up more of them.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Random Stranger posted:

90% of them you can still get pretty cheap because they were mass market paperbacks and sold pretty well in regular bookstores. They also had an absolutely amazing line up of talent working on them since they could go to pretty much anyone and say, "Wanna do three pages on something you find amusing in this topic?" I keep meaning to pick up more of them.

True, though it would be nice for them to get like one of those premium collections, personal favorites are probably Conspiracies and The 70's

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

True, though it would be nice for them to get like one of those premium collections, personal favorites are probably Conspiracies and The 70's

Conspiracies is a great one, but I think my favorite is Grimm because it's all of these amazing artists doing adaptations of fairy tales including all their weird stuff. Did you know Charles Vess did a Snow White adaptation? If you didn't, you definitely want it now.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Oh man, I know what I'm rereading this weekend now. I bet I have the Big Book of Martyrs around somewhere, I actually got it for a Confirmation present because the somewhat obscure saint our local church was named after had a chapter in it, drawn by D'Israeli no less.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Conspiracies was good but I thought the JFK section relied a little too hard on expecting readers to be familiar with the Garrison theory (which was the basis of the Oliver Stone movie.)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I just spent 75 minutes grappling with Bandai's servers buckling under the load of scalpers, DBZ fans, and infrastructure not meant for SDCC numbers of eyes on it at once, and let me just say I regret the monkey's paw I wished on for an online system to get con exclusive merch when I waited in line all those years back.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Gaz-L posted:

what the christ

I love Neal Adams' work but did not know this about him. Truly disappointing

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy Hippo posted:

what the christ

I love Neal Adams' work but did not know this about him. Truly disappointing

On the scale of "stupid theory" to "openly racist" this is firmly in the former, so don't stress too much.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Endless Mike posted:

On the scale of "stupid theory" to "openly racist" this is firmly in the former, so don't stress too much.

It also led to Batman odyssey which every Batman fan has to read

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Skwirl posted:

Probably just being a woman writing a comic was enough. I haven't read her Harley Quinn, maybe there's a panel where Harley is wearing sensible shoes, or is full clothed?

Kinda want this shirt now.

https://twitter.com/Steph_Smash/status/1417174458037678083?s=20

$10 shipping to the Netherlands, dang. I would love to get one of these if it weren't for that. :retrogames:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Big Book that I liked the most would have to be The Big Book of Bad. Because it is such a wide term they could go all over the place with it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

This is a weird comment from a publisher whose best selling series for the past decade has been Berserk.

https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1419014709790101505?s=19

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I don''t think Kentaro Miura was white, plus the article discusses various Dark Horse comics not by straight white men, for example Roye Okupe, Devin Grayson, and Faith Erin Hicks, as well as the very famous editor Karen Berger whose imprint the article is really about and which does not publish Berserk.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

How Wonderful! posted:

I don''t think Kentaro Miura was white, plus the article discusses various Dark Horse comics not by straight white men, for example Roye Okupe, Devin Grayson, and Faith Erin Hicks, as well as the very famous editor Karen Berger whose imprint the article is really about and which does not publish Berserk.

Yeah that was literally my point, it hasn't been just straight white men for a long time at Dark Horse.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Straight white boys love Berserk and I think that's the point HW! thought you were trying to make.

Source: I'm a white boy and I love Berserk.

Dark Horse is in a great place right now. Even though their publishing line is pretty sparse I pull more comics from them than any other company except for Marvel. No One Left to Fight and Mazebook are both incredible.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Everyone loves Berserk. :colbert:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I just read Boys Run The Riot volume 2. It's good. Boys Run The Riot is basically "be trans, do crimes" the manga, I strongly recommend it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Comics sure are cool, 'ey folks? I've been digging into comic podcasts lately, any favorites there?

I like the Savage fincast, Jay & Miles X-Plain the X-Men, and I was just trying a bunch of other ones like 11 O'Clock Comics and Comic Geek Speak. In general I like that format where a few people riff and talk about a selection of 5 to 10 books or whatever. Seems like if I find a few pods I like I may know more of what comics are hitting.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 29, 2021

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

I like House to Astonish and Wait, What? HtA’s schedule has become very irregular as of late though, so not really the best way to find out about new books.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Letters and Lines was great but seems to be done.

War Rocket Ajax is good.

Comic Books Are Burning in Hell talk about more than just the big 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It's pretty funny how there's been three different volume ones of New Mutants: