Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
All those tendrils?

Yeah, you know what those are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Hey, I have my first paid comics writing gig, but I don't want to jinx it and I don't want to doxx myself. It's a very small thing but I'm excited to have my foot in the door unless I mega gently caress things up somehow. But hooray hooray for me.

Edit: I should clarify, writing ABOUT comics, I'm not writing a comic.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
congrats! :toot:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

How Wonderful! posted:

Hey, I have my first paid comics writing gig, but I don't want to jinx it and I don't want to doxx myself. It's a very small thing but I'm excited to have my foot in the door unless I mega gently caress things up somehow. But hooray hooray for me.

Good for you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

How Wonderful! posted:

Very cool! Congrats!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

How Wonderful! posted:

That's great! Congratulations! 🎉

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

How Wonderful! posted:

Congratulations! Without getting into details, is it for a crit site or a journal or something?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Congratulations! Without getting into details, is it for a crit site or a journal or something?

It's for a crit site. I'm going to get to write a bit about Flex Mentallo which has been something I've been wanting to do for ages.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Are you going to share a link when it comes out, or is that what you meant by doxxing yourself? I’d really like to read it, I greatly enjoy the way you write about comics, especially the Love and Rockets thread (RIP?). Also appreciate the Onslaught thread as I had completely given up on X-anything by about 1993-4 but would occasionally thumb through stuff at the store and wonder what the hell happened. Same with Spidey. : (

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

My kid's reading his FCBD haul and got to the Spider-Man story which has Ben as Spider-Man for a bit. He asked who that was and I said he was a clone of Peter Parker, then he asked me how that happened and I just kind of sighed and stared into space for a while. Not sure how to answer that one.

"it's a very, very long story"
"can you give me the short version?"
"not really, no"

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 14, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Retro Futurist posted:

My kid's reading his FCBD haul and got to the Spider-Man story which has Ben as Spider-Man for a bit. He asked who that was and I said he was a clone of Peter Parker, then he asked me how that happened and I just kind of sighed and stared into space for a while. Not sure how to answer that one.

"it's a very, very long story"
"can you give me the short version?"
"not really, no"

Lol.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I just hoisted myself laughing about that and reading it to roommates, who then went "Wait, Uncle Ben?" and suddenly I had to come up with the concise way to explain the clone saga.

Took about ten minutes with questions for the short version.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm glad I don't have kids so I never have to explain Ben Reilly to them.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

As an educator I consider it my responsibility to educate everyone's kids about Ben Reilly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How Wonderful! posted:

As an educator I consider it my responsibility to educate everyone's kids about Ben Reilly.

I've got younger cousins, so do you have a power point I could borrow?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

How Wonderful! posted:

Man, why you gotta be that teacher

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Kids need to learn the ugly parts of history too.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Putting a sleeveless blue hoody over my blazer real quick to show that I'm fresh for the 90s.

Skwirl posted:

I've got younger cousins, so do you have a power point I could borrow?

Don't threaten me with a good time!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How Wonderful! posted:

I don't have siblings and I don't have kids, but I have a cousin with an 8 year old that I will probably give most of my old comics to at some point, and a lot of those star Ben Reilly.

How do you say to a kid "we need to have a serious talk about The Traveller"?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

How Wonderful! posted:

Perfect, I'll have him facetime you

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

How Wonderful! posted:

Putting a sleeveless blue hoody over my blazer real quick to show that I'm fresh for the 90s.

What about a pie chart that breaks down the amount of Spidey stuff done by the clone, the amount of Spidey stuff done by the original, the amount of Spidey stuff done by the clone while thinking he was the original, and the amount of Spidey stuff done by the original while thinking he was a clone.
Also a brief explanation about Spidey's baby. And Kaine.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How Wonderful! posted:

Better than they learn about Ben Reilly from you than out on the streets.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Seriously though, I wanna see the powerpoint explaining the clone saga in an abridged form for non-comic fans. Both the disgraceful plot and the crazy people in charge of it.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Ben Reilly is a huge responsibility and he can open the door to a lot of complicated and ugly stuff... but I won't lie to you, Ben Reilly can fee great. But you need to be old enough to make an educated decision about Ben Reilly because otherwise, well, next thing you know you've got no education and no job and a bunch of facts about Spidercide and Dr. Octopus' buff girlfriend in your head.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Saoshyant posted:

Seriously though, I wanna see the powerpoint explaining the clone saga in an abridged form for non-comic fans. Both the disgraceful plot and the crazy people in charge of it.

I have a friend that made a power point presentation about the various Robins for a class. Also, something about concluding that Jason was the best of the bunch, so that throws away any scientific accuracy she may have had.

Anyways. Make sure you talk to your children about clones. You don't want them to learn about all these Wars and Sagas on the street.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I didn't know about Ben Reilly and ended up doing drugs, so teach your kids

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Willingly reading all of the clone saga is one of the worst things I've done to myself. It's the nerd equivalent of those people who try to go viral for doing a stupid stunt and wind up going viral because their stupid stunt goes horribly wrong.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
There's a reason my chronological Marvel WIR has an eventual rough ending point at some point in the late 80's to early 90's, so I can avoid much of the worst stupidity Marvel was up to in that decade

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Madkal posted:

What about a pie chart that breaks down the amount of Spidey stuff done by the clone, the amount of Spidey stuff done by the original, the amount of Spidey stuff done by the clone while thinking he was the original, and the amount of Spidey stuff done by the original while thinking he was a clone.
Also a brief explanation about Spidey's baby. And Kaine.

Oh yeah, whatever happened to Spider-Mans baby? I vaguely recall it being set up that the Green Goblin or somebody might have stolen the baby and the baby was still alive. Did they ever settle that?

Also, I read Avengers Tech-On and I know it's an alternate universe but it had Spider-Man and Mary-Jane together without comment. Did they fix that in the main books yet, or is his pact with Satan to get divorced still holding?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gripweed posted:

Also, I read Avengers Tech-On and I know it's an alternate universe but it had Spider-Man and Mary-Jane together without comment. Did they fix that in the main books yet, or is his pact with Satan to get divorced still holding?

Peter and MJ are still together and have been but they've still never been 'married' as part of the very odd deal with Mephisto.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Parker and Watson...living in sin without the holy sacrament of marriage. At last Mephisto's plan has come to fruition!

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Peter also has a sister now.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Maybe

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Has the baby been mentioned at all recently?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Is there a thread for AU stuff like Age of Apocalypse?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vincent posted:

Peter also has a sister now.

I can't believe that the Chameleon would make an android sister for Peter Parker.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is there a thread for AU stuff like Age of Apocalypse?

No, but you can be the change you want to see in the forums. I can talk about AoA all day.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Random Stranger posted:

I can't believe that the Chameleon would make an android sister for Peter Parker.

You may be kidding, but yeah, I think that was a pretty dumb hedge. More fun if it's real.

But regardless, Peter and Theresa say it's real, and that's good enough for me.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Senior Woodchuck posted:

You may be kidding, but yeah, I think that was a pretty dumb hedge. More fun if it's real.

But regardless, Peter and Theresa say it's real, and that's good enough for me.

It's a reference to when Peter's parents came back from the dead. They were robots built by the Chameleon to figure out who Spider-Man was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

They're also currently in the middle of some story involving Theresa and The Chameleon. So who knows what comes of that at this point.