Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

X-O posted:

They're also currently in the middle of some story involving Theresa and The Chameleon. So who knows what comes of that at this point.

Oh goddammit, comics. Stop being stupider than my stupid jokes about you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
to be "fair" she isn't a possible robot but a possible chameleon which i guess is like a whole race of people? I always thought that Chameleon was a tech based villain.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Just once I'd like one of these big changes that don't fundamentally change anything about the character but give more depth to be mandated to stick. Just editorial saying "Spider-Man has a sister, no clone or imposter stories about her, period". This is how we ended up with the Clone Saga otherwise

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

Just once I'd like one of these big changes that don't fundamentally change anything about the character but give more depth to be mandated to stick. Just editorial saying "Spider-Man has a sister, no clone or imposter stories about her, period". This is how we ended up with the Clone Saga otherwise

See now they'll introduce a clone of Peter's sister. The Sister Clone Saga.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

See now they'll introduce a clone of Peter's sister. The Sister Clone Saga.

Ahmed literally just did a Miles one

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

Ahmed literally just did a Miles one

You can probably buy reversed engineered Latverian cloning tech at multiple places in the 616 NYC.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The cool clones are Judge Dredd and Solid Snake. These other clones are slumming it, they're giving clones a bad name. Kinda like that Bon Jovi song.

drrockso20 posted:

There's a reason my chronological Marvel WIR has an eventual rough ending point at some point in the late 80's to early 90's, so I can avoid much of the worst stupidity Marvel was up to in that decade

What's a WIR? That sounds like a mondo amount of comics, I assume some abridging skipping not great stuff along the way? Sounds cool.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

People should use Judge Dredd's first name more often when talking about him. Oh, you mean Judge Joe Dredd? Keep you from being confused about if someone is talking about Judge Rico Dredd.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Rico Dredd is A: not a Judge anymore and B: dead

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 19, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Sorry about the spoilers

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

muscles like this! posted:

People should use Judge Dredd's first name more often when talking about him. Oh, you mean Judge Joe Dredd? Keep you from being confused about if someone is talking about Judge Rico Dredd.

Plus, we've got the original 70s stories brother Rico or the later Rico guy from the 2000s. The Mills created one and the Wagner created one. But I think ol' JD has earned the moniker of Dredd. I also like "Old Stoney face"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Heavy Metal posted:

The cool clones are Judge Dredd and Solid Snake. These other clones are slumming it, they're giving clones a bad name. Kinda like that Bon Jovi song.

What's a WIR? That sounds like a mondo amount of comics, I assume some abridging skipping not great stuff along the way? Sounds cool.

It stands for Where I Read, it's a common format over on one of my main non-SA forums, and while I'm not reading literally everything Marvel published during that approximately 30 year period, ideally I'll try and read as much of the main continuity stuff as possible, check my posts in the previous thread to see where I'm currently at(have to double check but I should be pretty close to when Amazing Spider-Man premieres)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Very cool. As long as this 30 year period includes Darkhawk. Just reading 30 years of one comic is an undertaking, I'm still not caught up on any I'm trying that with as of yet. (Judge Dredd and X-Men, though I intend to skip some big chunks of X-Men, over 40 year periods for those.)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 19, 2021

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Heavy Metal posted:

Very cool. As long as this 30 year period includes Darkhawk. Just reading 30 years of one comic is an undertaking, I'm still not caught up on any I'm trying that with as of yet. (Judge Dredd and X-Men, though I intend to skip some big chunks of X-Men, over 40 year periods for those.)

It helps that doing it this way means I'm jumping between different books, so I'm not stuck in a single series more than one or two issues in a row

So far the roughest comic has been Incredible Hulk surprisingly(first issue is classic but the other issues of his first run are oddly weak like they just weren't able to grasp what made the first issue work so well) while Fantastic Four is definitely the strongest overall book so far

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

There's a reason Hulk was canceled after six issues. It does get better when he splits books.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

What's y'alls Robin rank? Here's mine.

Exclusively as Robin:
1- Tim
2- Dick
3- Steph
4- Damian
5- Jarro
6- Carrie
7- Duke
8- Toy Wonder
9- Jason Todd.

And if we also take into consideration the characters after they were Robin (In the previous list I considered Dick's tenure as Robin, but not Nightwing):

1- Tim
2- Dick/Nightwing
3- Steph/Batgirl/Spoiler
4- Damian
5- Duke/The Signal
6- Jason Todd/Red Hood
7- Jarro
8- Carrie
9- Toy Wonder

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Tim is my favorite DC character period and Dick and Steph are not far behind. So my rank is pretty much identical.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I would put Todd higher as Robin just for his role in For the the man who has everything. Also I don't know much about Steph's tenure as Robin but she makes a great Spoiler. Also Duke was never a Robin so he isn't on my list.

My list would be:

Tim
Dick
Damien
Jason
Carrie
Steph (mostly because I never read any comics with her as Robin so don't know how she was)

For post Robin stuff:

Dick as Grayson
Steph as Spoiler

I never saw Tim as moving past Robin despite the name changes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Steph as Robin was basically a plot device and lasted three issues of the Robin series, plus a handful of appearances elsewhere.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Madkal posted:

I would put Todd higher as Robin just for his role in For the the man who has everything.

Think pure thoughts, chum!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Is there anything with Carrie besides the Dark Knight Returns and it's sequels?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I was telling a friend that despite being a long time comic book fan, I have read very few Batman books, almost all out of continuity. Therefore:
Carrie
Damien
Batman '66 Dick
The others

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Is there anything with Carrie besides the Dark Knight Returns and it's sequels?

They've teased her on the new season of Titans as part of Bruce's dossier of potential Robins.

Anyway, I've been reading the Master edition of From Hell which has some minor redone artwork and is colorized and frankly I don't think it adds that much.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

They've teased her on the new season of Titans as part of Bruce's dossier of potential Robins.

Yeah they teased her and everyone else who's ever been Robin but also made a big point that Robins are a mistake Bruce kept making so I doubt we'll see her on the show.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Rico Dredd is A: not a Judge anymore and B: dead

I honestly love how that resolved in like two issues.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Alhazred posted:

I honestly love how that resolved in like two issues.

Old comics moved so much faster than modern comics. Back in the day they had to give people a satisfying read every single issue. Now they spend six issues just setting up the next 30 issue crossover.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Doing an X-read with some friends and we've gone from Claremont to Bendis in a few months. It's stark.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Whoa, you're moving fast. I'm doing a big x-read myself and I'm still in fairly early Claremont after picking at the project for a few months.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

We're just doing the big arcs/cross-overs. It's a little uneven at times as an event will end with a bunch of stuff unresolved and the next thing we read will have all of that taken care of.

We actually got up to the early-00's, which were fairly slow paced, jumped back to Claremont/Simonson Inferno, which was packed with story, and then House of M, which left us going "nothing happened".

Uthor fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 26, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uthor posted:

We're just doing the big arcs/cross-overs. It's a little uneven at times as an event will end with a bunch of stuff unresolved and the next thing we read will have all of that taken care of.

We actually got up to the early-00's, which were fairly slow paced, jumped back to Claremont/Simonson Inferno, which was packed with story, and then House of M, which left us going "nothing happened".

You should read Wolverine and the X-Men.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Old comics moved so much faster than modern comics. Back in the day they had to give people a satisfying read every single issue. Now they spend six issues just setting up the next 30 issue crossover.

Also, this being classic Dredd, it only had six pages an issue (so as to fit in four or five other stories at the same time), and the issues were weekly.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Today is Otto Binder's birthday, so read some silver age Superman or the good golden age Captain Marvel stories.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DigitalRaven posted:

Also, this being classic Dredd, it only had six pages an issue (so as to fit in four or five other stories at the same time), and the issues were weekly.

It's honestly amazing how much John Wagner and the others could cram into six pages.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m deeply regretting buying the omnibus of Ex Machina instead of just a bunch of trades. This thing is loving unwieldy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I saw The Show the movie Alan Moore wrote and has a small part in. It is very much a rambling kind of movie with the main character trying to track down a man and then a piece of jewelry in the town of Northampton, which just happens to be full of weirdos. While not a comedy it is at times very funny but there's a definite sinister undertone that takes over whenever Moore's character shows up. Also in peak Alan Moore form the main character is Dennis the Menace (the UK version) all grown up as a Zen hitman.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m deeply regretting buying the omnibus of Ex Machina instead of just a bunch of trades. This thing is loving unwieldy.

Even the compendiums split it in two.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

The Show was fun, sort of Alan Moore doing Twin Peaks. It’s pretty dialogue-heavy, but not in a bad way, just in a way that demands constant attention to catch Moore’s humor. I wouldn’t call it a must-see; it touches on Moore’s ideas about magick, art, culture, and dreams all being intertwined, but not in a way that plumbs any new territory for him, I think. Apparently it’s a sequel to a 2014 film called Show Pieces that I didn’t even know about when I went in to watch The Show last night, and it has an ending that suggests he may do further stories in the same setting.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ex Machina is one of those comics that had an extremely good core concept but the execution wasn't particularly great

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

drrockso20 posted:

Ex Machina is one of those comics that had an extremely good core concept but the execution wasn't particularly great

That's the BKV one with the mayor who can talk to machines?

I remember thinking it was decent but yeah, kind of have to agree with you. I don't even remember how it all paid off, just a few story beats like the guy killing snowplow drivers to paralyze the city and the main character bullshitting some woman about hearing an unreleased Nirvana song from space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

That's the BKV one with the mayor who can talk to machines?

I remember thinking it was decent but yeah, kind of have to agree with you. I don't even remember how it all paid off, just a few story beats like the guy killing snowplow drivers to paralyze the city and the main character bullshitting some woman about hearing an unreleased Nirvana song from space.

Yup, again not particularly great(one of those comics that goes hard on being edgy dark and bleak more because the author thought that was cool than because they were able to tell a good story by going in that direction), but the way he handled certain aspects of it do make me feel reasonably confident in his ability to handle the script for the live action Gundam movie that's in development, he's got a perfect understanding of the Char archetype for one thing