Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Ex Machina is one of those comics that had an extremely good core concept but the execution wasn't particularly great

The final speech in the issue about the Klan still makes me irrationally angry to this day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Ex Machina is one of those comics that had an extremely good core concept but the execution wasn't particularly great

The thing I like most about the comic is (spoilers for the whole series) the mayor is the villain. There's a lot of stuff he does that is bad throughout the series, but it's typically presented in a way that the reader can excuse. Until the last issue makes it clear that he really is an enormous pile of poo poo. I recall some people getting upset at the ending since they didn't pick up the context.

The biggest problem with Ex Machina is that any political story short of Transmetropolitan reads as hopelessly naive after 2016.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Power corrupts. It ain't rocket surgery.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

The thing I like most about the comic is (spoilers for the whole series) the mayor is the villain. There's a lot of stuff he does that is bad throughout the series, but it's typically presented in a way that the reader can excuse. Until the last issue makes it clear that he really is an enormous pile of poo poo. I recall some people getting upset at the ending since they didn't pick up the context.

The biggest problem with Ex Machina is that any political story short of Transmetropolitan reads as hopelessly naive after 2016.

Its ending also retroactively got really funny with (EX MACHINA last page spoilers) McCain being president, lol.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I read the Annihilator, the Grant Morrison comic. Didn't care for it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/jamesCportis3/status/1434240892047659010?s=20

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Random Stranger posted:

The thing I like most about the comic is
That's a great reveal, but the idea that the weird machine mind invaders can't be beat was pretty boring.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I was thinking about Marvel AR and how I now own a bunch of comics with AR logos plastered all over the art that mean nothing because the service shut down six years ago.

Nothing more, just thinking about it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Batman/Fortnite comic is surprisingly good.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Dang it, that sounds stupid enough to be interesting, but I'm not going to spend money on it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Uthor posted:

Dang it, that sounds stupid enough to be interesting, but I'm not going to spend money on it.

Batman gets sucked into the Fortnite world and loses all his memories, and loses his memories again at the end of every match. So he has to Memento himself into figuring out what's going on and how to break out of the cycle.

I also didn't know that Fortnite had such deep lore.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Batman gets sucked into the Fortnite world and loses all his memories, and loses his memories again at the end of every match. So he has to Memento himself into figuring out what's going on and how to break out of the cycle.

I also didn't know that Fortnite had such deep lore.

Fortnite is the metanexus. Technically DC and Marvel are the same multiverse because of it. Plus everywhere property they have shoved into it.

I hate the metaverse and it makes me long for America's destruction

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Mr Hootington posted:

Fortnite is the metanexus. Technically DC and Marvel are the same multiverse because of it. Plus everywhere property they have shoved into it.

They should make Access the Fortnite mascot, not like they're going to use him for anything else

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Phillip Jose Farmer has much to answer for.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Random Stranger posted:

Phillip Jose Farmer has much to answer for.

Nah the Wold Newton Universe is a wonderful thing, especially when you dig into the more wacky offshoots, like how they explain there being like 50 different versions of Dracula and how most of them are in fact the real Dracula in spite of all the contradictions and paradoxes that should cause

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Nah the Wold Newton Universe is a wonderful thing, especially when you dig into the more wacky offshoots, like how they explain there being like 50 different versions of Dracula and how most of them are in fact the real Dracula in spite of all the contradictions and paradoxes that should cause

My first exposure to the Wold Newton stuff was this writeup folding Scooby-Doo, of all things, into it: http://www.pjfarmer.com/secret/hyde/mysteryinc.htm

I have no idea how I stumbled across this page, what I might have been looking for or whatever. Probably one of Jess Nevins's League annotations, as he's cited in the notes and this would have been around the time the comic was coming out and I was always champing at the bit to follow up my reading with his notes. I think this article's suggestion that Three Days of the Condor is about an adult Encyclopedia Brown is what got me thinking these people are having an awful lot of fun.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The fact that apparently the Fortnite crossover ties into plans by The Batman Who Laughs is amazing because that means it's canon within DC comics and my biggest disappointment is that they were only willing to go as far as a GI Joe character when what I was really hoping for was an out of nowhere cliffhanger appearance from Thanos with the gauntlet.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Argue posted:

The fact that apparently the Fortnite crossover ties into plans by The Batman Who Laughs is amazing because that means it's canon within DC comics and my biggest disappointment is that they were only willing to go as far as a GI Joe character when what I was really hoping for was an out of nowhere cliffhanger appearance from Thanos with the gauntlet.

Oh yeah it's super canon. It even ties in to the emotional fallout from Catwoman apparently having left Batman at the altar?

It also teased a Superman/Fortnite sequel series which I'd definitely be up for.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

If Fortnite is the Nexus of all Realities then why isn't there a Swamp Thing skin in the store? :thunk:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Pastry of the Year posted:

My first exposure to the Wold Newton stuff was this writeup folding Scooby-Doo, of all things, into it: http://www.pjfarmer.com/secret/hyde/mysteryinc.htm

I have no idea how I stumbled across this page, what I might have been looking for or whatever. Probably one of Jess Nevins's League annotations, as he's cited in the notes and this would have been around the time the comic was coming out and I was always champing at the bit to follow up my reading with his notes. I think this article's suggestion that Three Days of the Condor is about an adult Encyclopedia Brown is what got me thinking these people are having an awful lot of fun.

Yeah that one is a classic, my personal favorite is probably the big multi-part one that someone did for Superman and a bunch of other related characters, especially the bit where they reveal that due to Clark Kent/Hugo Danner donating blood during his service in WW1, he inadvertently causes the boom in Metahumans that will occur several decades later, as his Kryptonian blood will result in mutations in the descendents of those who received his blood and cause bits and pieces of the Kryptonian power package to awake in them

Also it becomes kind of funny how in spite of the WNU's original intention was to be a relatively grounded pulp crossover universe, in its more expanded form that Buffy The Vampire Slayer(which is like the opposite of grounded) ends up being a very important series conceptually for a lot of people's takes

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The stuff I remember most about researching Wold Newton was that Robin the Boy Wonder is a distant relative of Mr. Spock and Spider-Man spent the later years of his career running around in a trenchcoat, hat and fright wig.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

JordanKai posted:

If Fortnite is the Nexus of all Realities then why isn't there a Swamp Thing skin in the store? :thunk:

Turn in your gang tag

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Retro Futurist posted:

Turn in your gang tag

Oops :saddowns:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Is there a reading order for the evil Batman stuff?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah it's don't

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Rhyno posted:

Yeah it's don't

I read what I think was the main thing, Metal, and it was alright but it was clearly the culmination of a ton of stuff i was unfamiliar with and the evil Batmans were barely in it. And I've seen that there are even more evil batmans that didn't make an appearance.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gripweed posted:

I read what I think was the main thing, Metal, and it was alright but it was clearly the culmination of a ton of stuff i was unfamiliar with and the evil Batmans were barely in it. And I've seen that there are even more evil batmans that didn't make an appearance.

Metal is as far as I'd go with it. This is one of those situations where it was kind of a fun, goofy idea for a crossover ("The Justice League of Evil Batmen!") and then they went :regd08: . I'm actually kind of impressed at how quickly they :regd08:; usually it takes a while but DC went all in on Joker-Batman immediately.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Yeah I want the run it into the ground part. I want Punisher Batman and Darkseid Batman. Did they do a Harley Quinn Batman? If so I definitely want that.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Yeah I want the run it into the ground part. I want Punisher Batman and Darkseid Batman. Did they do a Harley Quinn Batman? If so I definitely want that.

I think a lot of it comes up in snyder's jla too.

https://www.howtolovecomics.com/2017/06/26/dark-nights-metal-reading-order/

There is a reading order for metal then it goes on into Darkseid war then death metal I think. Idk I haven't read a ton of modern dc until recently.

I did read death metal and that was pretty good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Mr Hootington posted:

I think a lot of it comes up in snyder's jla too.

https://www.howtolovecomics.com/2017/06/26/dark-nights-metal-reading-order/

There is a reading order for metal then it goes on into Darkseid war then death metal I think. Idk I haven't read a ton of modern dc until recently.

I did read death metal and that was pretty good.

Thanks

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Darkseid War comes first. Then it's BatMetal. The Evil BatMens get a one-shot each so NotTheWatcher can explain how eeeevil the dark neververse is. Then we get a prelude to Death Metal where some heroes get Batman Who Jokerized. Then the payoff to the dumb Promethica poo poo from Metal in Death Metal. Then 5G Infinite Frontier?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

RIP Norm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSMg_GWiBt0

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Awhile back I read Voracious, a comic about a guy going back in time to hunt dinosaurs for their meat which he then served in his present day restaurant. It wasn't good, and one of my biggest criticisms was that there was 0 thought given to how different dinosaurs would taste and how you would best prepare the different species. All species were treated completely interchangeably and it was always described as just very good.

I was reminded of that because I saw this tweet

https://twitter.com/clumsystiggy/status/1437219724438478851?s=20

gently caress Voracious. Complete waste of a premise.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That rocks. There's a classic 2000AD series called Flesh about going back in time for dino meat too. Had a couple revivals. I haven't read it, hopefully the flavor did come up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flesh_(comics)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/kierongillen/status/1438526039160852489?s=20

Also, I don't think we need a new thread, but this thread needs a new title.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

There's still five more days of summer. :colbert:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

It's hilarious to me that Alex de Campi asked why men loved swamp thing so much and got so many responses by people who don't identify as men she deleted the tweet

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

site posted:

It's hilarious to me that Alex de Campi asked why men loved swamp thing so much and got so many responses by people who don't identify as men she deleted the tweet

That whole thing was so weird. "All these guys keep reading Swamp Thing because they liked it once and they just keep going with it." Do they? It's not like any of the attempts at rebooting it after the series petered out post-Moore and Veitch have been able to attract enough of an audience to keep going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

New 52 Swamp Thing was really good and went on for about 50 issues. Couldn't quite hack it all the way to 52 issues, sadly.