Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
All of the TMNT in the IDW continuity have sort of logical extensions and deepenings of their archetypical portrayal like that. Raph being the outside meaning he relates to the outsiders and outcasts like Casey and Angel and epecially Alopex. Leo being the eldest and having the deepest connection to their past life meaning he feels the weight of responsibility and living up to expectations. Donnie's scientific side meaning he's a perfectionist who keeps trying to 'fix' and 'solve' things. Hell, I'm a bit behind but what I've seen you've even got Jen and her growing up on the streets and making lovely choices making her kind of the big sister who wants to stop the younger kids making the same mistakes she did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They're also just about to have gotten around to putting all the turtles on the covers of the HCs :v:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Slash was vol 9 and Jen is 13, which was the joke.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gripweed posted:

I read the Harley Quinn prequel comic, Harleen. It's the first of DC's new Black Label series I'd read and it was interesting to see the limits they put on their "mature" imprint. Like, characters say gently caress, but it's only printed when it's like, "I hosed up!". When characters use it to mean sex, then it still gets the classic comic book censoring. So the word itself is fine, but the sexual connotation of the word isn't.

I liked how it presented Harley and Ivy's early relationship. Especially since the back of the book said that they're gonna get together in Harleen 2. They don't really have a relationship. They get along, and maybe Ivy saw a little something there but Harleen definitely didn't. That feels realistic, that pre-Joker Harley Quinn wouldn't be in a place in her life where the plant lady would be a potential romantic partner. And it also sets up their future relationship better that Ivy might have been attracted to Harleen but didn't try to vampishly seduce her or anything.

But my main criticism is that for a romance comic about Harley Quinn and the Joker written by the Sunstone guy, it wasn't anywhere near horny enough. But that might be another limit DC set, the comic could only be a little horny. And since it was an explicit romance story, maybe the horniness limit was lower than if it had been an action or horror story.

Sejic probably did have some constraints, as you said. We know that DC are OK with some swears and gore in Black Label books featuring the big capes, but we also know Bat-wang is verboten, as is Bat-rugmunching.

Plus he's done a bunch of naughty fanart (nothing truly explicit, I don't think, but definitely risque) so he might have been wary of editors cracking down if he seemed to be going that way. But mostly, I think he's just very serious about his romance stories being romantic but not glamorising messed up stuff.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Phillips is writing Harley Quinn, right? What did she do correct to piss off this dork?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't he on the Neal Adams 'gravity is a conspiracy because the world is actually constantly expanding' brand of nutty?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Just once I'd like one of these big changes that don't fundamentally change anything about the character but give more depth to be mandated to stick. Just editorial saying "Spider-Man has a sister, no clone or imposter stories about her, period". This is how we ended up with the Clone Saga otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

See now they'll introduce a clone of Peter's sister. The Sister Clone Saga.

Ahmed literally just did a Miles one