Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

This is really weird. I'm reading a collection of 2000AD Future Shocks. Alan Moore has one that is just the ending of the Stephen King short story "Maximum Overdrive". Now I'm wondering who was first...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

Those are really fun. I got my wife the entire 2 volume compilation of them, not just the Moore ones, but Moore's definitely were the cream of the crop from where I've browsed.

That's where I was reading them from, and yeah, Moore is better than most of the writers in those. Though I also like the series about the punch-clock space explorer who just wants to get his job done and get paid.

Karma Tornado posted:

King. Moore started writing for 2000AD in like '79 or '80 and Trucks was already five years old when it was in Night Shift in 1978

Thanks. The book doesn't date things and I was thinking Night Shift was early 80's so things were completely muddled for me.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Saw some recent Dilbert comics posted on another site and good Lord is it some dire stuff, this might just be the most severe drop in quality for a newspaper comic(by a single creator) from its peak I've ever seen

When you go full Mr. A, you have to start at the level of a Ditko to still look fine.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I remember around 95 Adams had an email newsletter. Even as a young, dumb rear end in a top hat I found it to be pretty toxic.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't he on the Neal Adams 'gravity is a conspiracy because the world is actually constantly expanding' brand of nutty?

No, more straight forward ultra-right-wing nutjob. I mean even before everyone that was right-wing in the US swung hard for ultra-right-wing nutjob.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

The Big Book Of series is very underrated and I would pay good money for them to be rereleased

90% of them you can still get pretty cheap because they were mass market paperbacks and sold pretty well in regular bookstores. They also had an absolutely amazing line up of talent working on them since they could go to pretty much anyone and say, "Wanna do three pages on something you find amusing in this topic?" I keep meaning to pick up more of them.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

True, though it would be nice for them to get like one of those premium collections, personal favorites are probably Conspiracies and The 70's

Conspiracies is a great one, but I think my favorite is Grimm because it's all of these amazing artists doing adaptations of fairy tales including all their weird stuff. Did you know Charles Vess did a Snow White adaptation? If you didn't, you definitely want it now.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

What kind of moronic nonsense is this? I'm utterly baffl--

Is it really any more moronic than how Nick Fury got the Watcher position?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Willingly reading all of the clone saga is one of the worst things I've done to myself. It's the nerd equivalent of those people who try to go viral for doing a stupid stunt and wind up going viral because their stupid stunt goes horribly wrong.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vincent posted:

Peter also has a sister now.

I can't believe that the Chameleon would make an android sister for Peter Parker.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

X-O posted:

They're also currently in the middle of some story involving Theresa and The Chameleon. So who knows what comes of that at this point.

Oh goddammit, comics. Stop being stupider than my stupid jokes about you!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

There's a reason Hulk was canceled after six issues. It does get better when he splits books.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Today is Otto Binder's birthday, so read some silver age Superman or the good golden age Captain Marvel stories.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Ex Machina is one of those comics that had an extremely good core concept but the execution wasn't particularly great

The thing I like most about the comic is (spoilers for the whole series) the mayor is the villain. There's a lot of stuff he does that is bad throughout the series, but it's typically presented in a way that the reader can excuse. Until the last issue makes it clear that he really is an enormous pile of poo poo. I recall some people getting upset at the ending since they didn't pick up the context.

The biggest problem with Ex Machina is that any political story short of Transmetropolitan reads as hopelessly naive after 2016.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Fortnite is the metanexus. Technically DC and Marvel are the same multiverse because of it. Plus everywhere property they have shoved into it.

I hate the metaverse and it makes me long for America's destruction

Phillip Jose Farmer has much to answer for.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gripweed posted:

I read what I think was the main thing, Metal, and it was alright but it was clearly the culmination of a ton of stuff i was unfamiliar with and the evil Batmans were barely in it. And I've seen that there are even more evil batmans that didn't make an appearance.

Metal is as far as I'd go with it. This is one of those situations where it was kind of a fun, goofy idea for a crossover ("The Justice League of Evil Batmen!") and then they went :regd08: . I'm actually kind of impressed at how quickly they :regd08:; usually it takes a while but DC went all in on Joker-Batman immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Why is today Batman day? Is it Bob Kane or Bill Finger's birthday or something?

Anniversary of the release of The Mark of Zorro. :v: