Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Someone linked to those old American Express commercials that Seinfeld did with a cartoon Superman(cause Seinfeld is a huge Superman fan) and honestly I'm really digging their take on Superman there as portrayed by Patrick Warburton, like most of the time Superman is the straight man, here him being a bit of a goofball is rather refreshing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Saw some recent Dilbert comics posted on another site and good Lord is it some dire stuff, this might just be the most severe drop in quality for a newspaper comic(by a single creator) from its peak I've ever seen

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Servoret posted:

I can almost believe it really worked because I ended up buying that jerkoff spell issue of The Invisibles under semi-mysterious circumstances after I’d dropped out of buying comics for a while. I stepped out of my house without a jacket in the middle of a snowstorm one evening, and for some reason (because I was a dumb teenager) walked in no particular direction through the snow for an hour before I realized I was near the comic store I used to shop at. I went in and bought that issue of The Invisibles plus The Big Book of Conspiracies. Kind of spooky to me because I had no conscious intention of doing any of that.

But then I didn’t buy another issue of The Invisibles for a couple years, because that particular issue was in the middle of a storyline and was full of almost dialogue-free action with no explanation of what was going on. Maybe not the best issue to work that spell on.

The Big Book Of series is very underrated and I would pay good money for them to be rereleased

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

90% of them you can still get pretty cheap because they were mass market paperbacks and sold pretty well in regular bookstores. They also had an absolutely amazing line up of talent working on them since they could go to pretty much anyone and say, "Wanna do three pages on something you find amusing in this topic?" I keep meaning to pick up more of them.

True, though it would be nice for them to get like one of those premium collections, personal favorites are probably Conspiracies and The 70's

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Is it really any more moronic than how Nick Fury got the Watcher position?

You have a point but you don't counter stupid with stupid

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

There's a reason my chronological Marvel WIR has an eventual rough ending point at some point in the late 80's to early 90's, so I can avoid much of the worst stupidity Marvel was up to in that decade

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Heavy Metal posted:

The cool clones are Judge Dredd and Solid Snake. These other clones are slumming it, they're giving clones a bad name. Kinda like that Bon Jovi song.

What's a WIR? That sounds like a mondo amount of comics, I assume some abridging skipping not great stuff along the way? Sounds cool.

It stands for Where I Read, it's a common format over on one of my main non-SA forums, and while I'm not reading literally everything Marvel published during that approximately 30 year period, ideally I'll try and read as much of the main continuity stuff as possible, check my posts in the previous thread to see where I'm currently at(have to double check but I should be pretty close to when Amazing Spider-Man premieres)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Heavy Metal posted:

Very cool. As long as this 30 year period includes Darkhawk. Just reading 30 years of one comic is an undertaking, I'm still not caught up on any I'm trying that with as of yet. (Judge Dredd and X-Men, though I intend to skip some big chunks of X-Men, over 40 year periods for those.)

It helps that doing it this way means I'm jumping between different books, so I'm not stuck in a single series more than one or two issues in a row

So far the roughest comic has been Incredible Hulk surprisingly(first issue is classic but the other issues of his first run are oddly weak like they just weren't able to grasp what made the first issue work so well) while Fantastic Four is definitely the strongest overall book so far

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ex Machina is one of those comics that had an extremely good core concept but the execution wasn't particularly great

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

That's the BKV one with the mayor who can talk to machines?

I remember thinking it was decent but yeah, kind of have to agree with you. I don't even remember how it all paid off, just a few story beats like the guy killing snowplow drivers to paralyze the city and the main character bullshitting some woman about hearing an unreleased Nirvana song from space.

Yup, again not particularly great(one of those comics that goes hard on being edgy dark and bleak more because the author thought that was cool than because they were able to tell a good story by going in that direction), but the way he handled certain aspects of it do make me feel reasonably confident in his ability to handle the script for the live action Gundam movie that's in development, he's got a perfect understanding of the Char archetype for one thing

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Phillip Jose Farmer has much to answer for.

Nah the Wold Newton Universe is a wonderful thing, especially when you dig into the more wacky offshoots, like how they explain there being like 50 different versions of Dracula and how most of them are in fact the real Dracula in spite of all the contradictions and paradoxes that should cause

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Pastry of the Year posted:

My first exposure to the Wold Newton stuff was this writeup folding Scooby-Doo, of all things, into it: http://www.pjfarmer.com/secret/hyde/mysteryinc.htm

I have no idea how I stumbled across this page, what I might have been looking for or whatever. Probably one of Jess Nevins's League annotations, as he's cited in the notes and this would have been around the time the comic was coming out and I was always champing at the bit to follow up my reading with his notes. I think this article's suggestion that Three Days of the Condor is about an adult Encyclopedia Brown is what got me thinking these people are having an awful lot of fun.

Yeah that one is a classic, my personal favorite is probably the big multi-part one that someone did for Superman and a bunch of other related characters, especially the bit where they reveal that due to Clark Kent/Hugo Danner donating blood during his service in WW1, he inadvertently causes the boom in Metahumans that will occur several decades later, as his Kryptonian blood will result in mutations in the descendents of those who received his blood and cause bits and pieces of the Kryptonian power package to awake in them

Also it becomes kind of funny how in spite of the WNU's original intention was to be a relatively grounded pulp crossover universe, in its more expanded form that Buffy The Vampire Slayer(which is like the opposite of grounded) ends up being a very important series conceptually for a lot of people's takes