Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I've started getting into TMNT and this is my favorite character so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

X-O posted:

Mikey is indeed the best character in the book.

I'd go so far as to say that IDW Mikey is the best character in the history of the entire franchise.

No I meant the grumpy bat who appears in that one panel and nowhere else. She's the best.

I still can't quite tell the turtles apart by name. I know Raph is the unpleasant one.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I read the Harley Quinn prequel comic, Harleen. It's the first of DC's new Black Label series I'd read and it was interesting to see the limits they put on their "mature" imprint. Like, characters say gently caress, but it's only printed when it's like, "I hosed up!". When characters use it to mean sex, then it still gets the classic comic book censoring. So the word itself is fine, but the sexual connotation of the word isn't.

I liked how it presented Harley and Ivy's early relationship. Especially since the back of the book said that they're gonna get together in Harleen 2. They don't really have a relationship. They get along, and maybe Ivy saw a little something there but Harleen definitely didn't. That feels realistic, that pre-Joker Harley Quinn wouldn't be in a place in her life where the plant lady would be a potential romantic partner. And it also sets up their future relationship better that Ivy might have been attracted to Harleen but didn't try to vampishly seduce her or anything.

But my main criticism is that for a romance comic about Harley Quinn and the Joker written by the Sunstone guy, it wasn't anywhere near horny enough. But that might be another limit DC set, the comic could only be a little horny. And since it was an explicit romance story, maybe the horniness limit was lower than if it had been an action or horror story.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

drrockso20 posted:

Saw some recent Dilbert comics posted on another site and good Lord is it some dire stuff, this might just be the most severe drop in quality for a newspaper comic(by a single creator) from its peak I've ever seen

Just read Gamer Dilbert, it's way better

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

This is a weird comment from a publisher whose best selling series for the past decade has been Berserk.

https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1419014709790101505?s=19

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

How Wonderful! posted:

I don''t think Kentaro Miura was white, plus the article discusses various Dark Horse comics not by straight white men, for example Roye Okupe, Devin Grayson, and Faith Erin Hicks, as well as the very famous editor Karen Berger whose imprint the article is really about and which does not publish Berserk.

Yeah that was literally my point, it hasn't been just straight white men for a long time at Dark Horse.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Everyone loves Berserk. :colbert:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I just read Boys Run The Riot volume 2. It's good. Boys Run The Riot is basically "be trans, do crimes" the manga, I strongly recommend it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It's like Marvel heard the complaints about how hard it is for casual fans to know where to start with Marvel comics and decided to just make every volume a starting place.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I was looking at Kickstarter and noticed one for a comic called Mary Machinegun. It featured a few pages from the comic to get people interested. Check out these horses.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I will never accept the premise that Venom is Spiderman's Wario.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Madkal posted:

What about a pie chart that breaks down the amount of Spidey stuff done by the clone, the amount of Spidey stuff done by the original, the amount of Spidey stuff done by the clone while thinking he was the original, and the amount of Spidey stuff done by the original while thinking he was a clone.
Also a brief explanation about Spidey's baby. And Kaine.

Oh yeah, whatever happened to Spider-Mans baby? I vaguely recall it being set up that the Green Goblin or somebody might have stolen the baby and the baby was still alive. Did they ever settle that?

Also, I read Avengers Tech-On and I know it's an alternate universe but it had Spider-Man and Mary-Jane together without comment. Did they fix that in the main books yet, or is his pact with Satan to get divorced still holding?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Has the baby been mentioned at all recently?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Rico Dredd is A: not a Judge anymore and B: dead

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 19, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Sorry about the spoilers

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Alhazred posted:

I honestly love how that resolved in like two issues.

Old comics moved so much faster than modern comics. Back in the day they had to give people a satisfying read every single issue. Now they spend six issues just setting up the next 30 issue crossover.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I read the Annihilator, the Grant Morrison comic. Didn't care for it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Batman/Fortnite comic is surprisingly good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Uthor posted:

Dang it, that sounds stupid enough to be interesting, but I'm not going to spend money on it.

Batman gets sucked into the Fortnite world and loses all his memories, and loses his memories again at the end of every match. So he has to Memento himself into figuring out what's going on and how to break out of the cycle.

I also didn't know that Fortnite had such deep lore.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Argue posted:

The fact that apparently the Fortnite crossover ties into plans by The Batman Who Laughs is amazing because that means it's canon within DC comics and my biggest disappointment is that they were only willing to go as far as a GI Joe character when what I was really hoping for was an out of nowhere cliffhanger appearance from Thanos with the gauntlet.

Oh yeah it's super canon. It even ties in to the emotional fallout from Catwoman apparently having left Batman at the altar?

It also teased a Superman/Fortnite sequel series which I'd definitely be up for.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Is there a reading order for the evil Batman stuff?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Rhyno posted:

Yeah it's don't

I read what I think was the main thing, Metal, and it was alright but it was clearly the culmination of a ton of stuff i was unfamiliar with and the evil Batmans were barely in it. And I've seen that there are even more evil batmans that didn't make an appearance.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Yeah I want the run it into the ground part. I want Punisher Batman and Darkseid Batman. Did they do a Harley Quinn Batman? If so I definitely want that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Mr Hootington posted:

I think a lot of it comes up in snyder's jla too.

https://www.howtolovecomics.com/2017/06/26/dark-nights-metal-reading-order/

There is a reading order for metal then it goes on into Darkseid war then death metal I think. Idk I haven't read a ton of modern dc until recently.

I did read death metal and that was pretty good.

Thanks

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Awhile back I read Voracious, a comic about a guy going back in time to hunt dinosaurs for their meat which he then served in his present day restaurant. It wasn't good, and one of my biggest criticisms was that there was 0 thought given to how different dinosaurs would taste and how you would best prepare the different species. All species were treated completely interchangeably and it was always described as just very good.

I was reminded of that because I saw this tweet

https://twitter.com/clumsystiggy/status/1437219724438478851?s=20

gently caress Voracious. Complete waste of a premise.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

JordanKai posted:

New 52 Swamp Thing was really good and went on for about 50 issues. Couldn't quite hack it all the way to 52 issues, sadly.

Are you counting annuals?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I've been reading the Moore Swamp Thing recently and I gotta say, the part where Abby get arrested for sodomy so Swamp Thing conquers Gotham kicks so much rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Is Maniac of New York over?