Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'm not sure any of the above is wrong but the simpler explanation is that change of any kind is a threat to a dictator.

Putin has journalists killed for the same reason he oppresses homosexuality; any open dissent is a spark that could potentially enflame a real opposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kurzon posted:

I'm not talking about change, I'm talking about traditional conservative values such as patriarchy, bigotry towards ethnic minorities and gays, a tolerance for wealth inequality, hostility to immigration, etc. It's no coincidence that highly democratic countries like Finland and Canada are also more tolerant of women, gays, and people of other races.

Other side of the coin is that dictatorships need someone to beat up on. Just like a playground bully isn't recognized unless he beats up on a victim, if you don't excercise some arbitrary pain and suffering, how does everyone else even know you're a dictator?

If you're a dictator, you have to demonstrate you're in power, and the way to do that is beat up some people who can't fight back, just to show that you can and that no one can or will stop you. Traditional minority groups (ethnic minorities, homosexuals, etc.) are a good target, and also reinforce in group / outgroup dynamics among your supporters ("I am defending you from the [x] menace") so why not ?

This is why there aren't any benevolent dictatorships. Being benevolent isn't the point and doesn't work.

I mean, the above analysis by Altmeyer re: authoritarian personalities is also accurate, but at root, a dictator needs to demonstrate power and minorities are a convenient target for that demonstration.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Kurzon posted:

Compared to autocratic countries, democracies are much better. Remember that in China right now there is a ongoing genocide against the Uyghurs and in Burma there is an ongoing genocide against Rohingya. That sort of poo poo doesn't happen in America or Europe anymore.

https://twitter.com/jasonintrator/status/1411926052188954624?s=20

I mean if your counterpoint is "America isn't a democracy if you're black" then, ok, you're making an arguable point

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jul 5, 2021