Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I would be super surprised if the ECU were actually bad, because it's the kind of box of ghosts that farm boomers will immediately blame for everything wrong with modern society.

I've had one bad ECU and it was pretty obvious that the missing traces that got melted off the board might indicate an electrical failure. Fixed it, too. Had lots of bad wiring harnesses though.

Take it easy on yourself if you're feeling sickly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I remember when you were running that truck. Back in 04 it would have been a proper Mack engine. AC engine? They were real stinkers in the US. Did Canada get the same emissions that year? Do you know the trans and axles?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

I remember when you were running that truck. Back in 04 it would have been a proper Mack engine. AC engine? They were real stinkers in the US. Did Canada get the same emissions that year? Do you know the trans and axles?

Yeah, the AC460p which had renault stamped all over it. Only 12 liter but 487hp and kept up with a C15 cat when i was working it. Also used more fuel. The only emissions equipment was the EGR/EGR cooler which never gave me trouble outside of a little coolant leak. the only on-going engine issue was it constantly popping turbo studs. The carfax had like 4-5 turbo replacements listed before i got it though.

It had the T318L mack 18 speed which my dad with 30 years experience absolutely would not drive because of it's tight tolerances, and meritor 46,000lb rears with full lockers.

It really held up well for the hell i put it through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_AMqBYotcE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l_sT2z6sNI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So8falUGwz4

e: just window shopping, but it's wild going from having no good wheel options at 5x5 to aaaaaaaaaaaalll the wheel options at 4x114.3

Powershift fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 26, 2021

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Yeah, every import (and a few North American domestics) had 4x4.5 at one time or another. Possibly the most common bot pattern in NA outside of maybe 5x4.5.

Edit: oh, and I basically tried to get my AE86 back to stick as much as possible, too. It was in pretty decent shape when I got it, so making all the factory stuff like AC and cruise work was my schtick. It was definitely heading toward drift territory under the PO.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 27, 2021

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Current state of things

F250: still rad. Lots of overdue maintinence

Work done:

Old starter out, beefy starter in:

Lincoln: also rad. even more overdue maintinence

Work done:

painted roof:

Temp fix for corroded EGR plate:

New starter, the old one that was flaky for 10 years was holy:

Now the fun part. The Toyota.

The purchased state: non-running, Farm auction. just pulled out of a field, 187,000 miles.

Powershift posted:

I''' try to get some better pics tomorrow, i'm beat. It's not as bad as i fist figured. seems to just be the weak spots of these things. the rockers, the front of the rear quarter. the front fenders. The underside is solid and looks to have been undercoated a looooong time ago. Based on the smell of the gas i would say it hasn't run in at least 10 years. The last time i smelled gas that stale was in a 1951 gm that had been sitting for 30 years. IT had a timing belt done 70,000 miles ago, unfortunately that was also 1996. I don't know why the odometer is in miles, all the emissions stickers are canadian. It still has the original untouched oem tape deck. It also has hooks and wiring to be flat towed behind an RV or whatever, which is neat.

Step 1: fuel.

The fuel pump literally crumbled to rust inside the tank.

New tanks are expensive, as is every other part of the car it seems, i already had acid etch and degreaser so i bought a can of tank coating and got to work. Note: don't wire brush gooey undercoating right next to the house.

Degreasing and coating means filling the tank with stuff and shaking and moving it in every direction, absolute shoulder destruction waving a fuel tank full of stuff above your head for a couple hours.

Some of the deposits on the tank were as hard as a rock, unmoved by degreaser or acid.

ruh roh, this is where the tank sits against the spare tire well.

I patched it with tank repair putty, and figure the putty on the outside and por15 on the inside should seal it.

The coating is neat, but really hard to get on all the baffles. It seemed to wick itself up and covered everything.

It cures to something resembling a hard plastic.

It was -20 the every night the week i needed it to cure so i set up a little tent with a space heater and moving blankets.

The fuel pump bracket obviously would not come willingly.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 29, 2024

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I managed to find the right fitting, trimmed back the broken bit and put a new end on.

The original was braised so i did the same.

Tank finished and painted

Ran out of black, had to use ford blue for the straps.

What came out of the filter wasn't that bad all things considered

Ran seafoam through the fuel lines a bunch of times until it came out clean, I should have started with a clean bucket on the receiving end but no chunks came out.

Then i put the tank back in the hard way so i didn't have to wiggle under it a bunch of times.

I pulled the plugs to spray the cylinders with fogging oil. The plugs were very worn but decent. While i had them out i primed the oil pump.

Everything back together, new filter, pump, I built a switch to jump the pump in the diagnostic port, and primed the fuel system.

I turned the key and to my absolute shock it started right up. i immediately shut it off and bolted into the house for the camera. this is the second start a few minutes later. The first time this thing ran in 16-18 years.

https://i.imgur.com/RCoTfpg.mp4

and that's the fuel system, i now have a running car, I wanted to take it out for a drive so bad at this point, but was patient enough to order more parts and address other stuff first.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ok, engine runs. All the fluids and belts are 16+ years old. The only timing belt sticker is from 1992.

Step 1: belts.

You can tell which belt is hard to find.

I took the rad out to do the timing belt which was 100% the right move.

The timing belt wasn't too horrible for xx years old.

The water pump and coolant wasn't even that gross.

I got sent the wrong timing belt kit. it was listed everywhere online for this engine but it was not, Rockauto made it right with a full refund + shipping.

Ended up having to get a belt from Toyota. Getting the timing covers off also involved loosening the power steering pump bracket. Getting the bracket off would have made things easier, but that would involve removing the a/c compressor.

The wiring loom cover that goes over the engine was super crunchy. i ended up replacing it with split loom for now.

The PO listed the brakes as having been done 4000 miles ago, and they clearly were. I cleaned off all the rotors and pads with a wire wheel and brake cleaner.

Step 2: fluids.

None of the bleed screws fought me. the fluid that came out was pretty nasty. I just kept running more through until it came out clear.

After sitting in the jar for a month some nasty stuff settled out of it.

There was a little bit of metal on the transmission plug magnet but no chunks. The oil was foamy but there was no glitter.

Very little on the diff plug magnet. oil a little foamy.

The tires were, it's fair to say, ancient. I had 2 toyota snowflakes, i managed to find another 2 for sale in Edmonton, and then found tires at an auction for $65.

I mounted them up and hit the road. It's amazing. runs well, shifts well. everything feels incredibly tight for a 300k km+ car.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Man, I bet that thing is a loving riot on snow tires.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Being in Alberta and sitting in a field for a bunch of years, a mouse of couse got into it. Somebody cleaned it before, but i think just to make it a little better for auction, so i went into mouse protocol. stripping the interior until the signs of rodents stopped.

The floors are quite nice. a littke surface rust on the inner rockers which is to be expected.

The seatbelt bolts sucked, and the driver's side buckle bit runs onto the back of a heat shield so the bolt ended up breaking off. i fought it for 2 days, ended up having to weld a couple nuts on and slowly work it out.

hit the seats with the carpet cleaner. This was, mid February and it was 10*c for some reason, which helped.

They came out quite nice.

I found out these cheap orange wipes i have basically attach to my power drill brushes like velcro.

I took the carpets to the car wash and blasted them until the water ran clean, and apart from the wear under the driver's floor mat they look nearly new.

The car had this horrible cloudy blue 30 year old extra crispy DIY tint.

I pointed the space heater at it to avoid thermally shock when using the heat gun, assembled my tools, and went into battle. You can imagine my giant rear end squeezed into the back seat of this thing.

The sides were easy enough, straight razor blade on a scraper, get the right angle and it glides.

The rear window was hell. I wanted to try to save the defroster grid.

popping and brushing away all the bubbles.

Scraping in between the grid lines with the razor. I slipped a few times and exposed the copper, so i'll have to find an electrically insulating paint pen or something.

Some of it was able to clean off the heater grid by following my little heat gun with a plastic scraper, but it was hard to balance enough heat to melt the glue with not melting my scraper blade. What i ended up doing was just rubbing along the lines with the scraper without a blade in it and it all came off eventually.

The most tedious part was getting all the little letover bits.

in the end it came out really nice. a poo poo ton of work, sore shoulders, and a whole lot of stuff to clean up afterwards, but i'm very happy i put in the effort.

And that's where it stands now! Now i've got to start saving again for a suspension refresh.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Man, I bet that thing is a loving riot on snow tires.

It is a ton of fun. it doesn't sink like my heavier car does, and the limited slip lets you just whip it around anywhere.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 29, 2024

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've heard steam machines work well on old tint, never tried it tho.

Nice work man that thing looks awesome, I would love a AE86 project, probably one of the few i would even want to take on.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
RWD + LSD + snow tires is The Way.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Nice work man that thing looks awesome, I would love a AE86 project, probably one of the few i would even want to take on.

They do. I used one on the Subaru’s side window tint. Clean up with ammonia.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Thanks.

Steam probably would have been about the same as a heat gun. I no longer had a film to get the steam under, i had a whole bunch of flakes glued to the glass.

AE86s have gotten pretty silly. Both car and part prices have shot up.

One sold at cars and bids for $20,500, you can see daylight through the spare tire well, and there's rattlecanned over rust everywhere.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9aNmq4Xm/1987-toyota-corolla-gt-s-coupe

I've got a lot of rocker rust and the front left fender is gone, but no holes at the seams or structure like that.

I might be forgetting stuff and there is some consumables, but this where the spend is at for me.

It's just been more elbow grease than dollars. Before next winter I'm looking at about $700 in suspension bits and probably $1k in body panels. I should have a really nice, complete car under $5k.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Geezus that auction car is way out of my snack bracket, no way I'd pay that much unless it was perfect but i guess that's the market for them now.

You got quite the deal then, love it when a plan comes together like that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Well, poo poo - guess I can ask for more for mine. It’s an SR5, not a GT-S, so probably only worth half to two thirds as much , but still. I’ve been quoting $5k to the people who actually ask, and no one has laughed (or reached for their wallet…)
Texas, so almost zero rust. One little spot in the rocker just forward of one rear wheel - that’s it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Good job man, holy poo poo.

You're making me feel like a lazy gently caress by not getting the energy to just do the god drat brake pads on my bike. :effort:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My life is primarily landscaping at this point. I'm fighting through another flare up but trying to keep busy.

The PO of our house just put pavers down on dirt, and leveled them with sand. Didn't buy enough pavers to complete a sidewalk so spaced them all out and filled it with pea gravel. Now a bunch of them are sinking and broken. I've got them all out but have to wait for the ground to dry before replacing them.

I built a screen and after moving all the gravel 50 times getting it dried out and cleaned off i used what i recovered to redo the back approach so i don't track so much mud into the garage.

This stupid ugly fence keeps getting in my way so i reinforced it, took it down, spun it around, and turned it into a gate. I think if i needed to i could get the smaller car into the garage.

My sister got a jeep, Somebody at some point took dry power tools to the headlights, and basically burned right through.

They got the plastic so hot there's crazing on the inside. i started with 400 grit, went to 4000 and did what i could.

There are still a bunch of spots that at yellowed right through and gouges from whatever tool they were using but they're clear and work as headlights now, which is what matters.

Then today the lincoln did jerk things in traffic.

Not sure how that even happens but it made it angry enough to pop and backfire and not run.

While i was waiting for parts, i started throwing some i already had at it. The fuel pump was up in this little hole. The alternative to an armpit full of gasoline was 30 bolts holding onto the 50lb cast iron bracket holding the A/C and power steering pumps. I went in the bottom way. Changed the filter while i had the lines drained.

Then finally got my summers on the truck for the first time in a few years. I've got to get a couple loads of gravel and sand, and 3000lbs in there on sketchy winters seemed bad.

Just twin i-beam things:

I wanted to fix/paint the mirrors and grille but the Lincoln being a jerk kind of ruined my day.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Powershift posted:

Then today the lincoln did jerk things in traffic.

At least they didn't have to get out the wrecker for towing semis. I'd say you need a car 10000lb construction trailer but it doesn't look like you have the space to keep it.

Nice job on those headlights

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Doing a whole buncha stuff, I'm jealous.

I'm going to run a little experiment because the Americans say you can thin Rustoleum/Tremclad 25:1 with acetone and shoot it through an HVLP. This is primarily advantageous because you can get Tremclad mixed and tinted at any lovely hardware store instead of going to an auto paint store that actually knows what they're doing.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

You can do it with mineral spirits.
I sprayed Rustoleum Satin Black through a Harbor Freight $12 HVLP on the upper half of my RX-7 several years ago. Sprayed great, and came out nice. I think I’ve posted a pic long ago. On mobile or I would do so again (looking at my older galleries on Imgur is almost impossible on the app. )

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Lincoln peeking out like it wants to try to sell you something.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Lincoln peeking out like it wants to try to sell you something.

psssst, hey kid. Wanna buy some rich Corinthian leather? How about a Cartier watch for the missus.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Doing a whole buncha stuff, I'm jealous.

I'm going to run a little experiment because the Americans say you can thin Rustoleum/Tremclad 25:1 with acetone and shoot it through an HVLP. This is primarily advantageous because you can get Tremclad mixed and tinted at any lovely hardware store instead of going to an auto paint store that actually knows what they're doing.

This is making me wonder instead of making the mirrors match the truck if i should make the truck match the mirrors.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

This is making me wonder instead of making the mirrors match the truck if i should make the truck match the mirrors.

Worst case, it makes the meth heads think that the truck is already in the process of having been stolen.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I mean that gen superduty looks fantastic in bright blues, I remember when Valard had a bunch of them in baby blue I always liked 'em and the teal would be so much better
Plus cars need more color these days, gently caress a monochrome (says the guy with two silver shitboxes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Both my wife's and my primary vehicle are white, but I do own a black car ('70 Cutlass, originally silver - I didn't paint it, former owner did,) a red car ('79 RX-7), a teal car (the AE86, originally light silver-blue, again, former owner, armed with spray bombs this time,) a couple of blue cars, another red car, and a brown car (all RX-7s) and now an orange car (dad's '55 Chevy, originally red/beige. He painted it in the '70s, natch.)
Uh, 3 of these actually run and drive. Well, 4, but the Cutlass won't shift out of first.

What I'm saying is, I support a teal truck.

edit:
Pursuant to my previous post, since I'm back at a computer, this is my '90 RX-7 I painted the upper half of with Rustoleum satin black with a $12 Harbor Freight HVLP gun:

This was because I had vanishing clearcoat and surface rust on the horizontal surfaces, and a hood and front fenders from a different colored car. I had previously spray bombed the roof in an attempt to curb rust, and the hood was white primer for the same reason.

I didn't have to thin the Rustoleum much, as I recall, and I just used straight up paint thinner (mineral spirits) to get it done. I just added until the flow looked right - more or less like water.
Pro-tip: disassemble and clean the HF gun before using. It's got oil and crap in there that don't help your paint job.

Edit again: acetone may work. Rustoleum is oil-based. Easy enough to try it with a test spray on something. I’d expect acetone to make it “flash” more quickly, since it’s a lot more volatile than mineral spirits.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 30, 2024