Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I would also like to request a trope to be revealed in round two. Seems to be the safest point to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Dog Kisser posted:

Okay! Anything in particular we should focus on, avoid, or attempt?

Also I'll take a card too, why not.

Really, this first bit is very much up to you. It might be a core mechanic, or the central pieces of a setting, or a thousand words of game design theory (if that's what floats you) or anything else. I encourage people to play to their strengths but also work at least a little outside of your comfort zone.

Your card is Delinquents.

potatocubed posted:

Looking ahead: How do we submit the first round entry? To you by email?

Yes please. I will remove any attribution and post the submissions anonymously to Drive.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, is it supposed to be anonymized? I was just going to spew all my content ideas all over the thread.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
The trick is to spew bad game design ideas so that your competition pick them up and you win.

*ahem hem hem*

"I'm going to start writing a D&D hack."

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Are we being judged every round?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Mine's in, who else has pulled the trigger?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I started thinking about it today.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.

Hostile V posted:

Mine's in, who else has pulled the trigger?
Same. A few moments of furious and passionate writing of what seems like a great idea.

Now to sit in the imposter syndrome and self-doubt.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I wasn't joking before, I'm trying real hard to not just make "One Piece but worse".

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

JMBosch posted:

Same. A few moments of furious and passionate writing of what seems like a great idea.

Now to sit in the imposter syndrome and self-doubt.
Yeah, I feel you, but hey, it's round one. Doesn't have to be pretty or good, just has to be done.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
I have a bonus concept that was generated at RPG Generator by sadpress

Dinosorcerors: Dinosarmageddon

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

I have my concept figured out, but right now it's about 200 words of just... the worst rambling nonsense.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Alright, done.

I'm pretty pleased with what I came up with -- it's incomplete but I think it's a decent core of something.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Meinberg posted:

Are we being judged every round?

You are only judged on your final product, although I reserve the right to assign points based on particularly fantastic or abysmal performances.

Sorry for the radio silence all weekend, I was engaging in my country's fine traditions of drowning our fears of impending fascism and ecological collapse deep in the forest.

A question, though: do people want to be anonymous? Or should I post each entry with attribution?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
I personally think anonymous is more fun, though of course an astute observer could tell based on prompts we got

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I favour anonymity until the final round, when all three creators are named next to their final work.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
Yeah, I vote anonymous until the contest is over.

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Yeah anonymous is cool.

I've written too much, after editing down in still over by like 50 words.

Gonna need to give it the chop tomorrow.

;_;

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

WereGoat posted:

I've written too much, after editing down in still over by like 50 words.

Gonna need to give it the chop tomorrow.

:):hf::)

High five person who stopped writing when they ran out of words

My round one entry has plenty to start with but it still needs further revision, personalization, and mechanical elaboration.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

A few words over isn't going to kill your entry, I just didn't want someone to turn in a 10,000 word Treatise on the Theory of Playing Roles in Gaming or some poo poo.

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Cool, got it down. Then back over again. Then back down. And over and down again.

Anyways, submitted Round 1, so I had questions on the trope cards.
Should these be incorporated into the entry for the current round?
For every round after you get it?
Or is this something that is only important to be included in the final round entry?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

The intention had been for you to apply it during the round it was requested but I won't penalize you if you apply it to a later round, given that I wasn't clear.

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Cool, in that case, I'd like to request one for round 2 please

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Zurui posted:

The intention had been for you to apply it during the round it was requested but I won't penalize you if you apply it to a later round, given that I wasn't clear.

Oh, so can you request multiple trope cards then?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

okay, now i have 300 words that are comprehensible to people besides me, but I think that’s all I got lol

I suppose I should expand somewhat on some of the more vague sections.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I stupidly thought, I will have plenty of time to write while my college friend is here and I take off work. Except my college friend was here so I have written nothing.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

DalaranJ posted:

I stupidly thought, I will have plenty of time to write while my college friend is here and I take off work. Except my college friend was here so I have written nothing.

Plenty of time - I haven't even started, I'll just crack it all out in a few hours before the deadline. EZ PZ

It won't be GOOD, but that's half the fun!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Here's some old content I found that I'm not using:

In the distant future year of 2015, mankind has been subjugated to the tyrannical wizard robot Wizardroid. The Wizardian's Citadel of Digatar was thought completely impenetrable due to the energy field generated by the sixty four Enertron Crystals, until now! With the discovery of warp field disruptor humanity can now create portals to the interior of the Citadel.

WarpKnights is a game for two or more players. One player, the MotherBoard (MB) presents a maze of rooms for the other players, the WarpKnights, to cooperatively explore. The goal of the game is to find one of the Enertron Crystals and retrieve it and as much treasure as possible before escaping through the warp vortex. Along the way the WarpKnights must contend with the creatures that live within the Citadel along with the hazards that the Wizardroid has developed to prevent its treasures from being stolen.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Sent in my submission; ready for round 2 and Additional Trope Card Hell

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Just to verify: is the deadline midnight at the end of July 10th, or the one at the beginning of it? I haven't had a ton of time to write, but gently caress IT, WE DOIN' THIS LIVE

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
Did anyone get confirmation that their submission was received?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

Just to verify: is the deadline midnight at the end of July 10th,

Well, better be this one or there's literally no chance that I will complete my entry.

e: Hey, my gaming session fell through tonight, so maybe I will have time.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 10, 2021

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

The deadline is midnight Saturday. You have roughly 23 hours to finish your first entry!

I'll go through and send confirmations that I've received your entries, just to remove any doubt or anxiety :)

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

We have 7/12 entries in so far. I've done my best to anonymize them but the introduction of the trope cards throws that out the window for some of your entries. It should be fun all the same.

If you are stressing the deadline, you can burn a bonus point to blow right past it (for up to 3 days). If you don't have a bonus point yet, you can go in the negative for one in the future!

(Really I just want everyone to get their ideas in.)

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Just sent my entry in, it's definitely more experimental than I've previously done!

EDIT:

Zurui posted:

I'd asked before, can we request more than one trope? Or do we need to re-use one we already have?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Sent! Exciting and sort of strange - weird to be sort of... creating problems for someone else to solve.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

1000 words of game thoughts have been emailed! Boy, this is a huge mess. Have fun, somebody (or nobody, IDK if anyone will even pick this thing)

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.

Dog Kisser posted:

Sent! Exciting and sort of strange - weird to be sort of... creating problems for someone else to solve.

Yeah, I'm not excited for the extended problem-solving session that will be the final round. Or, if what you're working on is great, you have to add stuff of equal quality to round it out...

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Agent Rush posted:

I'd asked before, can we request more than one trope? Or do we need to re-use one we already have?

I think I'm going to limit it to a single trope per entrant. There will be a couple more opportunities to earn bonus points though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

I’m pretty psyched to see what I get to work with, to be honest.