Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Sorry to double-post, but should we be using text from the original submission? Or re-writing the parts we’re transferring over into our own words?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.

Meinberg posted:

Sorry to double-post, but should we be using text from the original submission? Or re-writing the parts we’re transferring over into our own words?

Zurui posted:

It's your game now; feel free to cut, chop, or malign it as you see fit.
I think that means it's your text to do with as you want. Keep what you want. Rewrite what you want. Cut what you want.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Indeed. Obviously the spirit of the contest is that you utilize the prior work in some way but there is absolutely no requirement that any specific portion of the actual text be carried forward.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Well, I'm having a bad week, and I thought my creativity would be completely shot. But I think I had the creative breakthrough I needed format-wise.
Specifically, Gals and Goons is going to become a belonging outside belonging game. Now I just need to do the hard part, writing.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 19, 2021

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.

DalaranJ posted:

Specifically, Gals and Goons is going to become a belonging outside belonging game.
Always happy to see more of these.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

NDNM is easily my favorite new tech to come out of the last five years or so of RPGs!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Okay, started with 1000 words, worked for a solid two hours tonight, word count says I’m at... 500 words. Oh, dear. Well I’m on the right track at least.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

DalaranJ posted:

Okay, started with 1000 words, worked for a solid two hours tonight, word count says I’m at... 500 words. Oh, dear. Well I’m on the right track at least.

I actually laughed out loud; I've had this writing experience.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Honestly, I’m really struggling with this phase. I don’t know if I’m going to get something done in time, though I’m going to do my very best.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
It's only the second phase, so I think it's more important that you do something than that thing is complete or even good.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, my assumption is that things can still be pretty raw. Just do what you can, and if it doesn't work out, that's okay.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I've had a run of bad luck and haven't had much time to work on this, I'll try to get something done by tomorrow though.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I can definitely see this one being very difficult! I think this is where it turns from a sprint into a run, and getting over that hump can be very difficult.

If you are struggling with the deadline, just please stay communicative - my goal for this is to have as many people finish, not to be some sort of timekeeping czar.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Is the deadline tomorrow into midnight Sunday or the end of the 25th.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

End of day Sunday, so you have slightly more than two days remaining.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Is your preference for us to hit the deadline or the word count?

e: I will say that with this sort of contest we really want as many as possible to get through stage 2 so there are plenty of interesting stage 3 options. The last contest I was in narrowed from 30 to 4 finishers and I’m glad that doesn’t seem to be happening here.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 24, 2021

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I would absolutely prefer more entrants, so whatever you want to turn in is great. I just set a word guideline so that people had an idea for how much to add, not as a creative straitjacket.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Just realized I forgot to post! I'm working on #5, Wizard Academy.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
I am still here and interested but I'm on vacation which SHOULD in theory give me plenty of time but in practice the internet is so terrible I'm having trouble - still aiming to get it done by the deadline but WE'LL SEE

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Just realized I forgot to post! I'm working on #5, Wizard Academy.

Yay! That means everyone is still along for this crazy ride!

pre:
Lux Animus	Entry  1 - "The Undungeoneers"
Weregoat	
Agent Rush	Entry  2 - Card-based resolution system	
Hostile V	Entry  3 - Step-die resolution system
		Entry  4 - "Rentocracy"
OK Scale	Entry  5 - Wizard Academy
Meinberg	Entry  6 - "The Sublime Players"
Dog Kisser	Entry  7 - "Spotlight Harmony"
potatocubed	Entry  8 - "The Wizard Came from the Moon"
LaSquida	Entry  9 - "Let's be Pirates"
JMBosch		Entry 10 - "Skeleton Justice Warriors"
Antivehicular	Entry 11 - "The ABCsys"
DalaranJ	Entry 12 - "Gals and Goons"

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
also i totally just stayed up all night and finished mine yaaaay

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Hmm, well, I think I've made a conceptual error (I'm sure I've made a number since I've never worked with this system before) but it's too late to correct. I conceptualized a number of the fronts/opposing forces as facets of the status quo, which sort of makes those ones a bit samey. Although I guess I'm happy I made one for Parents?

e: I guess I'm also upset that too many of them are sort of aligned with a certain group of location, so a lot of the pick up instructions are "You go to the place"

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 25, 2021

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

I’m finally managing to make some progress now, we have until the end of the day to submit, right?

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Meinberg posted:

I’m finally managing to make some progress now, we have until the end of the day to submit, right?

Midnight tonight (not sure about time zone) is the soft deadline, I believe. Basically, keep the thread posted on your progress if you still intend to submit but don't have it done by then!

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
I'm closing in a couple thousand words, but might need an extra day depending on where I end up tonight.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

I definitely will be submitting something, even if it’s not as complete as I’d like it to be.

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

I'm a little behind, as my planned time to finish this off was eaten up by other things this weekend. Definitely gonna submit something, but might be a day late.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Hot off the presses! It’s definitely completely unedited, but I think it’s good.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, I think I should have my draft complete in an hour.

e: "Done"*

*Extremely exaggerated air quotes motion

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 25, 2021

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I should work on this.

[doesn't]

The ideas are there but it's a matter of trepanning and putting fingers to keys.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Hostile V posted:

I should work on this.

[doesn't]

The ideas are there but it's a matter of trepanning and putting fingers to keys.

same, friend

same

oh good lord I'm done for

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Got mine in! A bit rougher than I had hoped, but that's the way of these things. Good fortune and god speed to anyone still typin' away.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Antivehicular posted:

same, friend

same

oh good lord I'm done for
Thankfully I'd been noodling around with it for a few hours over a few days since the second round began so it turned out I had everything well in hand to just actually put it all together and trim some words down to fit. Just put on some music and gently caress around, you can get it done, I'd been stressing myself out and staring at the clock for nothing.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

And with that, it's off to the presses!

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Submitted my entry. Down to the wire, if I'd had more time for this it would've been so much better! :(

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Agent Rush posted:

Submitted my entry. Down to the wire, if I'd had more time for this it would've been so much better! :(

I totally understand that feeling. Done is better than perfect, though, and you can always go back and revisit the idea if you really want to after the game jam.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Still working on mine, but I should have it ready in some fashion by the end of tonight!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Same! There's definitely stuff here that will need a rework, to the point that I could probably put a FIX THIS, AUTHOR 3 section at the end, but whatever happens, happens. Here's hoping I can finish it into a broadly acceptable form in 2.5 hours...

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

Same! There's definitely stuff here that will need a rework, to the point that I could probably put a FIX THIS, AUTHOR 3 section at the end, but whatever happens, happens. Here's hoping I can finish it into a broadly acceptable form in 2.5 hours...

A few minutes after submitting, I realized "hm, that last-minute change I made may have broken the action economy wide open." But you know what? That's someone else's problem. And really, what is a problem in this context, but an opportunity for improvement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Submitted, a bit of a mess and could do with much more testing and an editing pass or 3, but done is done