Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Yeah, I’m in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I would also like to request a trope to be revealed in round two. Seems to be the safest point to do so.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, is it supposed to be anonymized? I was just going to spew all my content ideas all over the thread.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I stupidly thought, I will have plenty of time to write while my college friend is here and I take off work. Except my college friend was here so I have written nothing.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Here's some old content I found that I'm not using:

In the distant future year of 2015, mankind has been subjugated to the tyrannical wizard robot Wizardroid. The Wizardian's Citadel of Digatar was thought completely impenetrable due to the energy field generated by the sixty four Enertron Crystals, until now! With the discovery of warp field disruptor humanity can now create portals to the interior of the Citadel.

WarpKnights is a game for two or more players. One player, the MotherBoard (MB) presents a maze of rooms for the other players, the WarpKnights, to cooperatively explore. The goal of the game is to find one of the Enertron Crystals and retrieve it and as much treasure as possible before escaping through the warp vortex. Along the way the WarpKnights must contend with the creatures that live within the Citadel along with the hazards that the Wizardroid has developed to prevent its treasures from being stolen.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

Just to verify: is the deadline midnight at the end of July 10th,

Well, better be this one or there's literally no chance that I will complete my entry.

e: Hey, my gaming session fell through tonight, so maybe I will have time.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 10, 2021

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Lux Animus posted:

Reminder to hit me up with a sicknasty trope sometime this round, OP! Thanks!

I also want one for round 2.

Hostile V posted:

I think I'm gonna pick #3.

I wonder if whoever did that one has been reading the game series 2400.

Also I’d like to give permission to whoever picks my game to just replace my mechanics wholesale with Gnome’s Fellowship. Since you don’t know which one is mine just assume it applies to any of them because fellowship is that good.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Hostile V posted:

Not familiar with 2400, do tell.

In short the primary resolution mechanic is a single dice trinary roll.

Roll a d6 skill dice, higher (i.e. larger die) with more skill:
1–2 Disaster. Suffer the full risk.
3–4 Setback. A lesser consequence or partial
success.
5+ Success. The higher the roll, the better.

And my immediate thought when reading it was, "It would be cool if there was a 'critical hit' level, probably at 10?" Based on the way the critical hit mechanic works in PBTA.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Zurui posted:

Yeah, honestly all of these are loving great. It's going to be rad seeing what y'all come up with.

Oh, can I get my round 2 trope now?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Zurui posted:

DalaranJ

Pretty straightforward...OR IS IT?

Well, now I wish I had watched JoJo, I guess.
I could do something like Miami Connection or No Retreat, No Surrender, that could be funny.

I guess there's Dragonball Z, or
Ranma 1/2
Oh, oh no.
*starts sweating furiously*

*leans over microphone, speaking with the voice of a dying ghost*
twelve.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Well, I'm having a bad week, and I thought my creativity would be completely shot. But I think I had the creative breakthrough I needed format-wise.
Specifically, Gals and Goons is going to become a belonging outside belonging game. Now I just need to do the hard part, writing.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 19, 2021

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Okay, started with 1000 words, worked for a solid two hours tonight, word count says I’m at... 500 words. Oh, dear. Well I’m on the right track at least.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Is your preference for us to hit the deadline or the word count?

e: I will say that with this sort of contest we really want as many as possible to get through stage 2 so there are plenty of interesting stage 3 options. The last contest I was in narrowed from 30 to 4 finishers and I’m glad that doesn’t seem to be happening here.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 24, 2021

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Hmm, well, I think I've made a conceptual error (I'm sure I've made a number since I've never worked with this system before) but it's too late to correct. I conceptualized a number of the fronts/opposing forces as facets of the status quo, which sort of makes those ones a bit samey. Although I guess I'm happy I made one for Parents?

e: I guess I'm also upset that too many of them are sort of aligned with a certain group of location, so a lot of the pick up instructions are "You go to the place"

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 25, 2021

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, I think I should have my draft complete in an hour.

e: "Done"*

*Extremely exaggerated air quotes motion

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 25, 2021

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I'm going to take 'Hostile V Second Round', which until further notice will be called Sæhrímnir.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

My plan for expanding it was to mainly add 'monster' and setting details. I think another good option would be to not add any details and instead add some brush up to the weirdness of the setting. Like twist it into something less sci-fi, and more explicitly psychedelic?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

WereGoat posted:

Just to clarify, does this mean this can still be selected, but would need to be significantly changed in order to be distinct?

I'll be rereading both tomorrow to decide.

I replied to your PM. But to answer your question (Are our concepts to alike) more directly, I think it should be fine since it sounds like you intend to pursue a different mechanical concept maybe focusing on combat some more, while I'm looking to keep the mechanics set in a more narrative space. The concept you sent me reminded me of an old itch.io video game I saw about queer folk piloting mechs made of meat, perhaps that was Hostile V's inspiration in the first place? I'm going in a slightly more 'Cruelty Squad' direction with the concept, I guess.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Okay. I'm done 'writing' and I have over 4000 words of content. But I also have 8 empty tables that I have to fill in, and the game doesn't work without them.

e: Just lol if you're making a game without,
"Table 5: Rotting god effects"

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, my formatting consists of:
a) Make sure everything is a consistent font scheme
b) Add page breaks so tables don't get split

e: 25 entries left to go.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 14, 2021

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

*Yeets self unceremoniously over the finish line*

I'm done. Finally.

e: Unsurprisingly, google drive doesn't care what the documents original formatting settings were. Oh, well.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 14, 2021

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Personally I'd like to see completed versions of games that I worked on so I can post them on my itch.io, but I don't know what's best for the contest.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Zurui posted:

Here is the list of entries so far

Oh god, somehow the formatting got even worse when it transferred to your drive. It's truly amazing.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Zurui posted:

If you'd like me to keep yours as a PDF or something I'd be happy to.

It was too much trouble for me to reformat it in Affinity. I would have had to recreate all the tables by hand.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Any news yet, Zurui?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

My first round game was: "That Wizard Came From the Moon"
I think this name was later changed to 'Shadow of the Moon Wizard'?

My second round game was "Gals and Goons"

And my final round game was Sæhrímnir which was previously worked on by Hostile V.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Xa8hPq7TOY_YWGYSwqrimjPlC-QaO-nR/view

I have PMs, this is my preferred contact method on SA, but it costs :10bux: so,
I have some public accounts I set up in order to run the Mario Maker threads in games,
You can @ me on twitter SAMarioMaker.
I also have a gmail I don't check, itsmetime30
The name on that account is Mario Mario, which is, not my real name.

Message me and I'll send you the itch.io account name you can attribute my work to, thanks.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

WereGoat posted:

My first round was Rentocracy.
Second round was MAGICON.
And Third round was a failure, incomplete, but was gonna be Meat Futures.
Linked what I managed below:

Make sure you set the document to 'anyone with this link can view'.