Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

In the spirit of the Three Forged Game Jame and the Refraction Jam, we are bringing the Collaborative Game Jam to Something Awful! We used to have game contests and they were awesome - quite a few published, successful games came out of those jams!

For this contest, you will be collaborating with three other people!

THE RULES THREE

1. There will be THREE ROUNDS.
  • Round 1 will begin on 1 July and end on 10 July. For Round 1, you will design the core of a game - no more than 1000 words - and submit it by midnight Pacific Daylight Time. What the meaning of "core" is I will leave to you; perhaps it's a neat setting hook or a set of mechanics that you really like.
  • Round 2 will begin on 11 July and end on 25 July. You will choose a Round 1 entry* to edit and expand to about 2500-3000 words. It's your game now; feel free to cut, chop, or malign it as you see fit.
  • Round 3 begins on 26 July and ends at midnight on 15 August. Similar to Round 2, you will choose an entry* from the previous round. It's your job to expand and expound in order to turn this into a playable game. The expected wordcount is roughly 4000-5000 words.
2. You will be JUDGED. Awards will be given out based on the merits of the game, but three top-scoring games will be rewarded with particular honors. And by particular honors, I mean a $25 gift certificate to DTRPG/OBS or $25 worth of game(s) on itch.io. I will add have added a fourth prize if we reach 11 finishers, and a fifth prize at 21.

3. Your stuff will be CC-BY-4.0. Your other creators will need to be able to mux and mix it up! Once the contest is over, I will post the final entries for viewing. Anyone can take from these what they like (although it's considered polite to ask and credit).

* More than one person can choose a given entry - but beware: you might appear derivative if you don't have a really good idea for it!

HOW TO COMPETE

1. Post in the thread with your intent to participate and pm or email me an address at which I can send submissions. My email address is atlantisrevoked@gmail.com. It's a good idea to wait until the contest actually begins to start writing.

2. Continue to participate! Post questions, comments, ideas, or anything you like. It's more fun when we're all bouncing off each other.

3. Check your email at the beginning of rounds 2 and 3!

4. Submit on time! I will not be checking to the minute but any late submissions are accepted at the mercy of my whimsy.

EXTRA CREDIT

If you're in the need of a little inspiration (or are hopeful for a little bump toward your end product), you can earn a bonus point. This will add to the 10-point rubric I will use to judge your game. (It's pretty simple: 3 points for Style, 3 points for Mechanics, 3 points for Theme, and 1 point for Organization.)

To earn your bonus point, simply indicate that you wish to do so during any of the rounds. I will pull from my Amazing Trope Deck and give you a trope; you must include this in your game.

If you have any questions, ask away! Let's write!

Zurui fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Dog Kisser posted:

Absolutely down for this

Just so you know, I don't have your email address (yet).

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Currently we are at 7 entrants! Just four more to unlock a BONUS PRIZE!

I have emails/PMs from:

Hostile V
Agent Rush
Otherkinsey Scale
Dog Kisser
WereGoat
Lux Animus
potatocubed

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Hostile V posted:

Also for the record I would like to be the first to request the Mandatory Trope in exchange for a bonus point.

Your trope is:

(Not like, wizards or sorcerers. Magicians. People who perform tricks ILLUSIONS.)

Also, yay! We have eleven people signed up, which means we've unlocked the FOURTH PRIZE. Can we unlock another? Maybe! Tell your friends!

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Agent Rush posted:

Wow, you're using Channel A cards? I'll take a trope in that case!

You do not know how happy I am that someone recognized these!

Your trope is:

Any other takers? (Note that there is no deadline; you can take a bonus during any of the stages.)

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

You know what, give me a trope!

For the purposes of this, I'll say you can play fast and loose with this - it doesn't have to be the Japanese/Korean concept of idols, it could be western boy/girl bands or rock groups or anything where the common theme of manufactured music celebrity is at play.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Meinberg posted:

I will also take a card!

Your card is:

How very Channel A...

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Your trope is...

Yeah, I don't know how you're going to make that one work either!

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I think it's best to wait until round 2 to deliver it. Getting excited to see what y'all come up with!

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

LaSquida posted:

What did I ever do to you

Hey, at least it wasn't "harem."

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

DalaranJ posted:

Yeah, I’m in.

Yay!

And with that we have TWELVE entrants. Yay!

Get to writing!

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Dog Kisser posted:

Okay! Anything in particular we should focus on, avoid, or attempt?

Also I'll take a card too, why not.

Really, this first bit is very much up to you. It might be a core mechanic, or the central pieces of a setting, or a thousand words of game design theory (if that's what floats you) or anything else. I encourage people to play to their strengths but also work at least a little outside of your comfort zone.

Your card is Delinquents.

potatocubed posted:

Looking ahead: How do we submit the first round entry? To you by email?

Yes please. I will remove any attribution and post the submissions anonymously to Drive.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Meinberg posted:

Are we being judged every round?

You are only judged on your final product, although I reserve the right to assign points based on particularly fantastic or abysmal performances.

Sorry for the radio silence all weekend, I was engaging in my country's fine traditions of drowning our fears of impending fascism and ecological collapse deep in the forest.

A question, though: do people want to be anonymous? Or should I post each entry with attribution?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

A few words over isn't going to kill your entry, I just didn't want someone to turn in a 10,000 word Treatise on the Theory of Playing Roles in Gaming or some poo poo.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

The intention had been for you to apply it during the round it was requested but I won't penalize you if you apply it to a later round, given that I wasn't clear.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

The deadline is midnight Saturday. You have roughly 23 hours to finish your first entry!

I'll go through and send confirmations that I've received your entries, just to remove any doubt or anxiety :)

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

We have 7/12 entries in so far. I've done my best to anonymize them but the introduction of the trope cards throws that out the window for some of your entries. It should be fun all the same.

If you are stressing the deadline, you can burn a bonus point to blow right past it (for up to 3 days). If you don't have a bonus point yet, you can go in the negative for one in the future!

(Really I just want everyone to get their ideas in.)

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Agent Rush posted:

I'd asked before, can we request more than one trope? Or do we need to re-use one we already have?

I think I'm going to limit it to a single trope per entrant. There will be a couple more opportunities to earn bonus points though!

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Everyone is in for Round 1!

You can view the entries here.

What do I do now?

Choose one entry (other than yours) and post your choice in the thread. You have until 25 July to expand and edit it to 2500-3000 words. This is by far the meatiest portion of the contest; you have to take someone else's seed of an idea and turn it into something real.

If you haven't already selected a trope, you can opt for one in this round. If you have (or if you'd like another chance to earn a bonus point), there will be two opportunities to earn a bonus point in this round. The first will be for the submission that enacts the greatest transformation on the original. The second will be for the submission that follows through most thoroughly on the spirit of the original.

I am away from my Deck of Tropes until tomorrow; I'll deal them out then!

Zurui fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 12, 2021

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I apologize; Gmail marked your emails as spam for some reason. I have corrected the error and uploaded your entries!

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Dog Kisser posted:

Can multiple people pick a single game? Also: should we keep our choice secret

Multiple people may choose the same one but the purpose of making your choice public is so that you can make an educated decision. Some of the concepts here are relatively narrow while some others could be taken in a dozen different directions.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Yeah, honestly all of these are loving great. It's going to be rad seeing what y'all come up with.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

DalaranJ

Pretty straightforward...OR IS IT?

Lux Animus

Will it be Kingdom Hearts, Stargate, or The Cat Who Walked Through Walls? WHO CAN KNOW?

WereGoat

This one is weird. I'm very interested to see what you pull out of a hat for it.

Since LaSquida asked, I will definitely pull more tropes off the deck for you but I'm going to rule that only the first one is good for a Bonus Point; the rest are just style.

Did I miss anyone?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Meinberg posted:

I will also take a card pull!

Disclaimer: if, for any reason, you feel you cannot do this topic justice, I will happily draw another for you.

I'll take another card pull, for laughs.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Just tracking things:

pre:
Lux Animus	Entry  1 - "The Undungeoneers"	
Agent Rush	Entry  2 - Card-based resolution system	
Hostile V	Entry  3 - Step-die resolution system
		Entry  4 - "Rentocracy"
		Entry  5 - Wizard Academy
Meinberg	Entry  6 - "The Sublime Players"
		Entry  7 - "Spotlight Harmony"
potatocubed	Entry  8 - "The Wizard Came from the Moon"
		Entry  9 - "Let's be Pirates"
JMBosch		Entry 10 - "Skeleton Justice Warriors"
Antivehicular	Entry 11 - "The ABCsys"
DalaranJ	Entry 12 - "Gals and Goons"
As a reminder, multiple people can claim a first-round submission; you aren't forced to write about anything you don't want to just because you were later to post.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I can definitely see that being a struggle. How do people feel about an (effectively) unlimited wordcount for the final submission?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Updated list:

pre:
Weregoat	
		Entry  4 - "Rentocracy"
		Entry  5 - Wizard Academy
Dog Kisser	Entry  7 - "Spotlight Harmony"
LaSquida	Entry  9 - "Let's be Pirates"
So yeah, we'll stick with the word count for this round but just treat the third round wordcount as a suggestion.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Indeed. Obviously the spirit of the contest is that you utilize the prior work in some way but there is absolutely no requirement that any specific portion of the actual text be carried forward.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

NDNM is easily my favorite new tech to come out of the last five years or so of RPGs!

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

DalaranJ posted:

Okay, started with 1000 words, worked for a solid two hours tonight, word count says I’m at... 500 words. Oh, dear. Well I’m on the right track at least.

I actually laughed out loud; I've had this writing experience.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I can definitely see this one being very difficult! I think this is where it turns from a sprint into a run, and getting over that hump can be very difficult.

If you are struggling with the deadline, just please stay communicative - my goal for this is to have as many people finish, not to be some sort of timekeeping czar.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

End of day Sunday, so you have slightly more than two days remaining.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I would absolutely prefer more entrants, so whatever you want to turn in is great. I just set a word guideline so that people had an idea for how much to add, not as a creative straitjacket.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Just realized I forgot to post! I'm working on #5, Wizard Academy.

Yay! That means everyone is still along for this crazy ride!

pre:
Weregoat	
		Entry  4 - "Rentocracy"
OK Scale	Entry  5 - Wizard Academy
Dog Kisser	Entry  7 - "Spotlight Harmony"
LaSquida	Entry  9 - "Let's be Pirates"

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Holy poo poo, y'all are loving amazing. I just logged on to find that all twelve of y'all made the finish line for Round 2, which is loving unheard of in these kinds of contests.

Here are the entries:

pre:
Round 2 Author	Game					Round 3 Contestant

Agent Rush	UG Overdrive
Antivehicular	BUTTON MASHER
DalaranJ	Gals & Goons
Dog Kisser	Spotlight Harmony
Hostile V	Hostile V Second Round
JMBosch		Skeleton Justice Warriors
LaSquida	Let's Be Pirates
Lux Animus	Cauldron Bowl Rally
Meinberg	In the Court of the Invisible King
OK Scale	LAMMs of Peace, MASKs of War
potatocubed	Shadow of the Moon Wizard	
WereGoat	MAGICON
We've got twelve very solid, meaty game drafts here; now it's time to put on that most difficult hat and actually completing something. Can you carry one of these concepts over the finish line? Post to claim your champion!

I will be reading these over today and awarding the two Bonus Points.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Hostile V posted:

Should've named mine. Oh well.

I'll gladly change it if you come up with a name!

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

The amount of remodeling is very much up to you! You will be judged on your final submission, not on its strength vs. its previous iterations.

As a reminder, the final deadline is the stroke of midnight Pacific Daylight Time on Sunday, 15 August. (That is, you have all Sunday to make frantic edits polish your final product.)

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Hostile V posted:

Are we allowed to pick something we've had a hand in to begin with?

No, please don't choose anything you worked on in phases 1 or 2. If we have a selection problem due to this, let me know and we'll work it out.

Dog Kisser posted:

Can we have multiple people working on same projects?

I was initially going to say no

HOWEVER

Since this is a Collaborative Game Jam, I will allow you to work together in the final phase. If two people want to work on refining a single Phase 2 concept, with the understanding that you'll share a score and split any prizes you might receive, then you may.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

WereGoat posted:

Argh, I'm torn three ways between Shadow of the Moon Wizard, Hostile V Second round, or Skeleton Justice Warriors.

I don't think I could do the SJW tone justice, so that would be meat futures Vs space race.

Aaagh, it's so difficult to choose!

Think it's gonna have to be Hostile V Second round

Just as an FYI, this one is already claimed by DalaranJ, so you'll have to produce something distinct if you're not working together.

OR you can go with the single remaining slot, UG Overdrive.

pre:
Round 2 Author	Game				Round 3 Contestant

Agent Rush	UG Overdrive				
Antivehicular	BUTTON MASHER			potatocubed
DalaranJ	Gals & Goons			Agent Rush
Dog Kisser	Spotlight Harmony		JMBosch
Hostile V	Hostile V Second Round		DalaranJ
JMBosch		Skeleton Justice Warriors	Lux Animus
LaSquida	Let's Be Pirates		Dog Kisser
Lux Animus	Cauldron Bowl Rally		Otherkinsey Scale
Meinberg	The Invisible King		Antivehicular
OK Scale	LAMMs of Peace, MASKs of War	Meinberg
potatocubed	Shadow of the Moon Wizard	LaSquida
WereGoat	MAGICON				Hostile V

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I just mean you should have a strong concept before going in if you're going to double up with someone, and you may want to touch base with them to make sure you both aren't going to turn in fundamentally the same game.