Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
ofc a game can't be truly terrible if it's fun for you, but that's another debate

my first exposure to Sonic 2006 was with the famous pokecapn Let's Play, and I was so fascinated by how lovely it looked that I had to try it for myself. I got a used PS3 copy without having a PS3 myself and played it at my buddy's, and we had insane fun laughing at all the broken poo poo in the game, and it was a grand time. that's p normal

however, recently I got the urge to play it again, and blessedly, you can emulate the 360 version nowadays. I have a lot more experience with 3D Sonic now because I at least sampled almost all of them, again because of Bad Game Fascination (tho some are actually really good), and you know what? Sonic 2006 can be a lot of fun, if you know what to expect and how it works

I've actually started to go for 100%, collecting all the Medals in their dumbshit hiding places, trying to get S-Ranks sweating bullets because the tortured physics engine could kill me any moment, but it's kinda awesome in that sense. finding workarounds for the inconsistent poo poo, knowing which parts are super broken and to avoid, and discovering legit awesome shortcuts and alternate paths which I'd have never taken before because they're risky and require Control Knowledge which, yeah, 's tough, the game's broken

have you got any games where you know it's objectively dogshit but for whatever reason you played it so much that now you're a savant and think "actually this rules"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the famous Let's Play

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I'll never forget the day when that fateful Let's Play occurred.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mario, OP.

Hiraeth
May 14, 2021

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the intro to the fifth element but the guy finds a giant coffin with sonic's face on it and the hieroglyphics translate to pokecapn

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
the order 1886. It was probably bad and if I went back and played it now I wouldn’t like it but I swore up and down it was actually very good

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
the games i like are good, i can tell because i like them

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

elf help book posted:

we unironically like games in Imp Zone

Hiraeth
May 14, 2021
any one that says glover is going to instantly regret it. I mean it,. You qwouldn't dare

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
op im glad you were able to enjoy sonic games or whatever, today is sonics 30th birthday, you should watch the concert this afternoon

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1407466359223582720

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

elf help book posted:

mycophobia posted:

This.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
david cage games

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

mycophobia posted:

yep

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

John Romero posted:

david cage games

good answer. i have no good reason for enjoying fahrenheit, heavy rain and detroit

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

elf help book posted:

This.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The closest thing to the op I can think of is Wolfenstein: The New Colossus which I thought was the worst game I’ve ever played and I hated every second of it but for some reason I still played it all the way to the end. I think it was just because I spent $30 on it and wanted to get my money’s worth but I’m constantly buying games I don’t finish so I don’t know why I suddenly got stubborn about this particular game.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I finished tales of Symphonia 2 to the end. I guess because I liked 1, but 2 was awful.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

The closest thing to the op I can think of is Wolfenstein: The New Colossus which I thought was the worst game I’ve ever played and I hated every second of it but for some reason I still played it all the way to the end. I think it was just because I spent $30 on it and wanted to get my money’s worth but I’m constantly buying games I don’t finish so I don’t know why I suddenly got stubborn about this particular game.

I did this with Starfox Adventures back in the day but it was only a rental. Same with Jedi Fallen Order which wasn't that bad but it was just completely ok.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Imo people do play bad games as kids because it’s all they have and have an affection for them

I remember this one psone game where you play as a scientist who gets turned into a spider by baddies

Also lmfao at the let’s play that we all know and love

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Also my housemate has players modern war fare for a year now and id say hated it for 60% of that time

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Same with Jedi Fallen Order which wasn't that bad but it was just completely ok.

it was just fun enough to finish

the new wolfenstein games are fun, even though TNC makes no sense its still fun to blow up nazis

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Every time I think about that game I’m reminded that Bethesda made a Wolfenstein game where you have the option to kill Hitler, but doing so results in a game over. Absolute unmitigated AIDS

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Every time I think about that game I’m reminded that Bethesda made a Wolfenstein game where you have the option to kill Hitler, but doing so results in a game over. Absolute unmitigated AIDS

Lol yeah

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
The game ends with you finally reaching the Nazi lady antagonist who’s been built up since TNO and killing her in a cutscene, and then it plays a scandinavian Twisted Sister cover which might sincerely be one of the worst things I’ve ever heard

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

wwe 2k19. its the least broken of the 2k franchise and its easy for me to just veg out and book wrestling ppvs but there is just not a lot to the game here otherwise. granted i basically havent touched it since fire pro wrestling world came out on ps4.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lmfao it was just called Spider: The Video Game

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

Imo people do play bad games as kids because it’s all they have and have an affection for them

I remember this one psone game where you play as a scientist who gets turned into a spider by baddies

Also lmfao at the let’s play that we all know and love

EmmyOk posted:

Lmfao it was just called Spider: The Video Game

lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Pokecapn's Iconic Let's Play

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

spore was not a good game but i really loved it for some reason. the 4x space thing at the end was simple but fun.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

games where you can create something are always easy to go back to even if the rest of it isnt very fun

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

spore was not a good game but i really loved it for some reason. the 4x space thing at the end was simple but fun.

same. I knew it was bad the whole time but I still played it a ton

EmmyOk posted:

also this, I finished a bunch of mediocre SNES games because “well this is the one game we rented for the weekend”

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Pokecapn's Iconic Let's Play

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I do not think of games in terms of good or bad, but simply if I enjoy playing them or not.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

I didn't want to include "games you spite-finished" because

mycophobia posted:

but if y'all wanna post about it that's fine. Metroid: Other M is an example from my library, I 100%'d it because the 5€ I spent on it were 10 too many, but it never became good

Another example I have is Two Worlds which is insanely janky, you might know it from the famous speedrun where the game gets finished in 3 min by having the townspeople beat up the bad guy, who is miraculously coded well enough to trigger the ending cutscene on his death

my experience:
- you can glue weapons and armor of the same type together to make it better, this results in the basic bitch goblin shield being the best in the game because you can get infinite of them and they soon outclass the best legendary supershield you can find
- there's a skill called "Mean Trick" or sth (I played it in German) which does afaict absolutely nothing, but the animation is throwing sand in your opponent's face no matter which surface you stand on or if the enemy has eyes, so I spammed it because lol
- you can backstep in combat which has like two seconds of invincibility, allowing you to beat literally every opponent if you're patient enough. I aggro'd a guard who was rude to me who had a billion health and could one-shot me, but I could beat him using this actual Mean Trick. I went into the camp he guarded and everyone there was like "we, the rebels, love you for killing the tyrant king" so I had obviously badly broken a questline because I didn't even know I was in a kingdom

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

you might know it from the famous speedrun,

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

American McGay posted:

I do not think of games in terms of good or bad, but simply if I enjoy playing them or not.

this is most wise

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i just stop playing them instead of playing them op.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
there’s some old track&field type multiplayer games that I’ve loved that are maybe kinda lovely, but if everyone is having an epic time playing them, then they aren’t really terrible. like Caveman Games made me laugh so much as a kid, I cant be mad

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

STONE COLD 64 posted:

wwe 2k19. its the least broken of the 2k franchise and its easy for me to just veg out and book wrestling ppvs but there is just not a lot to the game here otherwise. granted i basically havent touched it since fire pro wrestling world came out on ps4.

the aew game will save wrestling games