Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

LukasR23 posted:

...Wow, that’s a lot of slugs in that army. They got flattened. Poor PD.
And now for the Mediolania Battle! Which looks awfully like a breakout.

Yup! Breakout.
I don't think this is the right image, that's the same one from the global's attack later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
You're right. Fixed!

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
Turn 47 - Narrowly Avoiding Brokeness

That message from Medio implies good things. The independent flags in my messages imply bad ones, but what do I care. It’s just one province.

In exchange for two outpost kits, diplomacied last turn but I forgot to mention it. Hoo boy. Needed that. But while I trade with JonJoe…
I also plot his doom.

Or at least a defence mechanism.
Speaking of things I needed..

This is NOWHERE near enough gold!

And now the game is mocking me.

I’d need a lab for this.

So that’s 700 gold for a mage I can already get for free.. But.

It’d free up my god casting alchemy. Maybe if I get a lot of spare gold? I’ll move a mage over there but uggghhh. I think this stacks with the Philo stone as well, but even if it doesn’t it’s still good.

I wish I’d found this before I was broke.

My poor feebleminded caster gets killed. As planned.

But in Moss woods it’s just a VERY sad breach. C’mon man, what did you expect?

I mean really, just look at them.

And now look at how many less there are after the commanders open fire. The monk immediately breaks, and the rest are shot up in short order.

Battles go in order, so the fort storm comes last. But fort breakouts can happen sooner!

This might have been a bad idea.
(This is his third death, even. Heh.)

He’s kitted out for magic this time. Odd, violence worked before. Even his armour is a magic booster.

I wonder what he’ll cast?

Problem is - Oceania has their own casters.

And they’re casting.. Bad things.

This combo would ruin me. Arrow fend is an 80% chance for any missile weapon on ANY of your units to just.. Miss. It doesn’t work on AoE weapons though, which frees up the commanders. Foul vapors is a posion AoE that..
Is ironically enough completely useless here.

Everyone on both sides has poison resistance.

You can see the green clouds. It won’t hit everyone at once, but it’s still a really powerful spell. I’m going to need
to script my nature mages to cast poison resistance if I ever fight this.

The big ball of sacreds is.. Still a big ball of sacred Cthullu monsters though, and chews through the first line of ants. And the second. What IS his god doing?

Uhhh… that’s not going to help. They reach him, and…

I was going to say “We’ve seen him get ground down before” but
Uh
That was way faster than I expected.
Not entirely sure how. Lots of lucky hits very fast? It looks like their pincers are Armour Piercing, so that 34 prot wasn’t saving him.

Future Lukas: UNTYPED Armour piercing. Temper flesh did nothing. And they get a Lance Charge.
This was a stupid idea from the outset though. Why did he have his god with a thistle mace? Why not use some sort of offensive magic?

Eh. Not my problem.

At some point the Gorgonid attacked the rear, and I heard one thing die post-battle from poison. JonJoe is actively employing battlemagic now, and that’s scary. Mages are scary.

This isn’t. Not going to dignify it. Mages should’ve done more, I need to script them but scripting is uggghhh.
Future lukas: I think I’m being a bit too harsh on myself, but also unscripted mages is a huge mistake. They waste two-three turns on self buffing and then maybe do something offensive.

This is.. I think Cassia scouting the force trying to retake that cap?

It dies too fast to see scripts, but it does show off his god! Shame he went AI, though under the circumstances I would have too.
Future Lukas again: Ramc made this chassis! It’s part of Cassia. Cassia has so much cool stuff alongside the nations, and they make their pretenders available to everyone using that god set. I think I show off the Jade Seal at some point, but if I don't a bonus post might be needed.

Note to self
Monarch woods has enchantresses, and JonJoe has them too. Not that they’re that big a deal any more.

Air access WOULD be one, but he already had that on the gorgonids. Ugh.
I’d have loved these in the early game, but these days I get.. Most of this.
Finally. Mediolania!

Hahahahahaha. Yes!
Surprised his god showed up again. Less surprised the wall defenders did most of his killing. I hate that they get 75 of them. It's getting fixed, but that won't affect this game.

Poor fools.

This is about normal for an AI army. Sometimes they get more summons. The rest of this battle is going to get a little disjointed, because my PC literally cannot process the fight without wireframes and wireframes hide the top left spellcasting list. Clicking over to the gods to see what gems they have reveals..

Uh…

Okay then.

The AI, everybody!
Future Lukas: MOON BLADE?

Those crossbows are already hurting. A little.
(not pictured - Regular Army Satellite sniping the lone archbishop.)
This is ALSO the point where I learned you can press ‘2’ to highlight the casting screen for ease of vision. Handy!

That’s.. A lot more undead and a lot less actual units. Hah. And only two crones…

Oh wow. I think a drill instructor killed her with magic duel. Beautiful.

My golem drops in on the backline and.. It’s all over bar the screaming.

Of which there is plenty. They break and flee, leaving one of their gods behind.

Because… she has a slave matrix???

Funnily enough, Perche killed both other members of the trinity. But whichever Drill Instructor magic duelled that crone to death will stay forever in my heart.

I love this message. It’s always a sign I’m doing something right.

This.. is less nice. Indie attack!

Presumably he donated them right before he got eaten by a pack of dogs.

Blurgh. Gonna have to take that back. Not that it matters much, it’s just.. Principle.

And someone or something is annoyed with the Jedi. But their PD is… very strong, and shot the undead to pieces.

Wheeeeee

Oh, and I’m broke. Again.

No indiciation of who left or where. Uggghhh.
Desertion Counter: 75

But now onto PLANNING!

I’m storming Moss Woods. I kind of want to go north before purple does, but that can wait. I can throw him off or yell at him or just.. Go around. It’s a grand citadel. It’ll keep. All of my ‘Fast movers’ - Perche, Fio, The Golem, Growl, but NOT the Jinn in this case - are going to the Throne in case something happens. I’ve got one commander and a pack of troops taking Mina again.

And Al Khazim is hopping up here to cut the wasps off.

JonJoe got wiped on that grand citadel, so I’m going to swoop in and take it myself. And pick some easy stuff up off Swarmhive on top. Maybe it’s a little greedy, but.. I see no reason not to.

I honestly have no idea how this will work out, but I like my chances. They’re all scripted to communion up, cast one buff per master (Phoenix/Earth Power, Eagle eyes, Personal Regen as a bonus just in case something starts mind blasting) and then start using Gifts from Heaven and Magma Eruption. The commanders are out in front as a wall. Should my income truly break down this’ll be all I have.. So I might as well try it out.

BIG transmute fire. Gotta get my money up.
I’m scripting while I write, and..

This is basically the core for my masters. Communion, Buff, then Gifts/Magma Eruption. I’ve left a few unscripted.. Just to see what they’ll do, basically.

Next time: “Much Wailing and Gnashing of Teeth”

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

LukasR23 posted:

This combo would ruin me. Arrow fend is an 80% chance for any missile weapon on ANY of your units to just.. Miss. It doesn’t work on AoE weapons though, which frees up the commanders. Foul vapors is a posion AoE that..
Is ironically enough completely useless here.

Everyone on both sides has poison resistance.

You can see the green clouds. It won’t hit everyone at once, but it’s still a really powerful spell. I’m going to need
to script my nature mages to cast poison resistance if I ever fight this.

Sorry to mention it, but Poison Resist 5 isn't remotely enough to stop Foul Vapors - hell 10 isn't enough over the course of a decently long battle either. Though they can obviously be combined with greater-than-human HP and/or Regen to still be workable amounts (for a time at least, in the case of the former). If you're a human HP nation and only have access to the Poison Resist 5 spells though, Foul Vapors extremely sucks to deal with. On the bright side, at least the Metal Slugs have innate 15 resist so those should be fine.

On other matters, giving that rather rare Pincer attack to an extremely high power sacred remains an incredibly dumb thing.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
Nono, thank you! I appreciate tactical input or corrections when I've been wrong or misinformed. I'd never seen foul vapors used when I wrote this a couple months back.

I really wished I had the ability to mass-produce slugs at this point - but it wouldn't have been that helpful. All my commanders and mages (except the homesick FCVs) are still squishy humans with no poison resist. They're incredibly vulnerable to the fart gas of doom.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

so a few updates ago you yelled at your past self for alchemising gems, and other posters concurred that you should have just saved/used the gems. What would things have looked like differently if you'd done that? Like other than like 90% of your army deserting.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

LukasR23 posted:

I’m scripting while I write, and..

This is basically the core for my masters. Communion, Buff, then Gifts/Magma Eruption. I’ve left a few unscripted.. Just to see what they’ll do, basically.

Next time: “Much Wailing and Gnashing of Teeth”

Gonna guess what happens is "one mage goes nuts spamming high-fatigue-cost damage spells every round to to obliterate clumps of harmless trash enemies with ludicrous overkill, and overloads your communion supporters with so much exhaustion they burnout and die before the enemy has a chance to rout" because Dominions unit AI?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

LukasR23 posted:

Nono, thank you! I appreciate tactical input or corrections when I've been wrong or misinformed. I'd never seen foul vapors used when I wrote this a couple months back.

I really wished I had the ability to mass-produce slugs at this point - but it wouldn't have been that helpful. All my commanders and mages (except the homesick FCVs) are still squishy humans with no poison resist. They're incredibly vulnerable to the fart gas of doom.

To be fair, at least with commanders you can put poison resist items on them to survive, and don't have to rely on the not particularly helpful Serpent's Blessing spell. :v:

Forging enough resist items to equip enough commanders to both lead troops and run decent communions isn't exactly cheap or quick though. The spell really just incredibly sucks for human hp nations to deal with - particularly those without decent death or blood access to bypass it those ways.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

Tulip posted:

so a few updates ago you yelled at your past self for alchemising gems, and other posters concurred that you should have just saved/used the gems. What would things have looked like differently if you'd done that? Like other than like 90% of your army deserting.

At most I'd lose about.. 10% of my army per turn due to how desertion maths works. I didn't know this at the time. This also includes things like the metal slugs or some of the more interesting summons.
Honestly? I'm not entirely sure. I think I'd have empowered more and wasted them on various utterly silly things that may or may have helped in the wars to come. I'm going to leave it at that for now though.

That or cast a giant pile of globals and filled up all the slots with stuff like a 300 gem overcast eternal pyre or something.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

m... moon blade?!?

the legends were true after all

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
Turn 48 - ‘Much wailing and gnashing of teeth’

Purple sounds like he’s about to cast astral corruption.
He’s been hinting at it in a.. Very unsubtle fashion in the discord and elsewhere (see title text), but this is where I properly figured it out. I'm not quite sure how because his nation lacks any astral, but... man finds a way. Probably on the pretender.

Future Lukas Note: You may notice from the thread that Purple's chassis has 0 Astral magic. I'll let him explain how he pulled this off if he wants to.

Whole lot of battles! And two throne claims. Things are shifting.

The second throne was once Swarmhive. The first.. Iunno. I think maybe Shambhala? Or just an indie one. I don’t remember seeing it claimed before.

Nature gems! Man I wish I had some of those. Both my haruspexes this turn came up short. I should kill ramc and steal his provinces for all those tasty nature gems.

This isn’t enough. It’s NEVER enough.

I think he tried to break out?

THIS battle is weirder. It looks like he marched out from the grand citadel in Kark and won the dice roll, fighting half of my army that was going to take Kark. In some situations this would be a good way to wipe out part of a sieging force instead of patrolling to try to face them all at once.

In this case he just got wiped.

Lots and lots and LOTS of fire.

I do love how gifts streak down from above. If you like gifts, this is rapidly becoming the LP for you.

Wheeeeee.

The other half of the army took Kark. No issues.

And I now own his cap circle!

I.. wasn’t expecting this to work. They're all unscripted.

But the drill instructors went ghost mode and that helped them survive the dogs in melee.
Future Lukas: Essentially the casting AI really likes buffs. So they all put up body ethereal, luck, and one or two other misc buffs like phoenix pyre/earth power. This was enough to make it so the Commanders could beat the dogs to death with their bare hands.

Ugggggh. AI has a laser-focus for low PD and I literally cannot afford it. I’ll break out and splat him, then finish him off before he can do this too often.

Least my raiding seems to be working out! Air elementals did all the kiling. ...Does it still count as raiding when you're just taking AI provinces?

Speaking of beating up AIs…
JonJoe — Yesterday at 01:26
I want 103
Lukas — Yesterday at 01:27
one sec, I need to check it
Sure
I don't even technically make units from forts anyway

Don’t care. 103 is up and to the left in this shot (the relevant province is always in the centre). Forts are just for making commanders and mages.
Future Lukas Comment: Maybe I was a bit much of a doormat, but I still don’t actually get anything from that province in my current state.

I do love a good fort storm. But this ain’t one. Ami died. AGAIN.
It took me two watches of the fight to figure out why.

She shocked HERSELF.
[03:33] BaronOhShi: how.
[03:33] BaronOhShi: I mean, i know how
[03:33] BaronOhShi: but come on
[03:33] BaronOhShi: RA needs to stop making janitors super soldiers
[03:36] Lukas: I'm not too sure because she died without a 'death' message
But her last combat log was a bunch of mjolnir bounces and I saw a few that hit her
[03:36] Lukas: maybe I just need to give her more shock resist
[03:37] BaronOhShi: contemplating whether i give her 5 more points of it, or just let the player make items for her
[03:37] BaronOhShi: are there shock res items in the RAs paths?
[03:37] BaronOhShi: Could buy or trade for them anyway
[03:48] Ramc: let the players sort it out. she has slots. gestures baroquely
[03:49] Arcvasti: needing special gear to use properly is canonical for mjolnir anyways
[03:50] Lukas: medical kit has 5 shock res
[03:50] Lukas: that's it I think

She’s getting a medical kit forged this turn. Along with a resummon.

I can't believe she literally Mjolnir’d herself to death.

This big mess of movement is designed to ensure one simple thing. NO ESCAPE. Those.. Ten units sieging Mediolania are not going to take any more provinces from me, and this isn’t wasting any turns because all I’m doing is splitting my movement.

Al Khazim is taking another province for me. He’s set to summon earth elementals this time (no more air gems in his stash), and it’s mostly to make it clear that I want this stuff. Maybe I can provoke Baudin into fighting me for it. But that can wait. For now…

EMPOWERMENT.

Astral 5 will be mine!
If I could afford to do more than alchemise every turn. For now I’m sticking to doing it every other turn, so I can do funky things in between.
Future Lukas: I know I shouldn't comment on this every time it happns, but.. each time I see that I've written something like this I die a little more inside. Just to clarify, this time I empowered instead of throwing more gems down the toilet.

The funny thing about attacking swarmhive is that it borders three of the major powers. I do not know who I’m going to invade, but if I do want to go for it I can hit all three major powers - or all at once if I really hate myself.

Pros and cons of each:

EA Cassia:
Pros - Easy access to reinforcements. Can get JonJoe involved again easily enough, and support jedi.
Cons - Ramc is better than me and I still don’t know how to kill the bee. Lot of my stuff is too far away.

Vespika:
Pros - Seems like everyone is about to hate them. Can use staff of storms to shut down the flyers. Probably the second weakest empire in the game right now.
Cons - Spite elemental. I need to be prepped to shut down JonJoe the MOMENT I invade. Still flyers, can still piss me off.

LA Oceania:
Pros - no ranged units. Can sea of ice to cut off a lot of his stuff, and with no astral he can’t really escape the bottom of the sea.
Cons - Lots and lots of very beefy sacreds. So many seducers. Literally next to my cap. Likely can’t even get all the good stuff due to sea of ice.

Wildcard options - MA Cassia and Jedi

Jedi:
Pros - Nobody would see it coming.
Cons - I’d have to literally go through Ramc. Unwise.

MA Cassia:
Pros - Apparently weak-ish and relying on the nation? Weaker than EA Cassia in that regard, and has a poo poo ton of forts to slog through to take me on.
Cons - Shields EVERYWHERE. Swarmhive front is useless.

Future Lukas Commentary: I stand by most of these, although they’re not perfect and I’m underestimating myself a little.Also overestimating those seducers, as sea of ice would render them weaker in some regards and I have very easy access to patrolling forces to root them out.

Next time:

Ramc posted:

purple 'i will never not be the center of attention in an lp'

Sorry about how long this one took! Covid got in the way, as it does.

LukasR23 fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 14, 2022

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
purple does not contain that attitude to lp games

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

atelier morgan posted:

purple does not contain that attitude to lp games

Purple is a delight to play with and understands the game on a fundamental level I can only aspire to.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

builds character posted:

Purple is a delight to play with and understands the game on a fundamental level I can only aspire to.

also true!

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
Turn 49 - “Purple Likes to do silly poo poo for an audience”

OH BOY.

This was WAY sooner than I expected it. Christ. Real glad I empowered in Astral instead of alchemising.
Okay, for those not in the know:
This means that ANY rital casting or item forging will trigger horror attacks. The exact formula is based on your gem use in that particular spell minus drain plus.. Some other bullshit and like a d350. Casting a big empower would guarantee a horror, possibly even one of the really big ones.
I honestly am VERY lucky I’ve got drain 3. I think it either makes the chance for 2-gem spells 0% or just makes it really rare, so I don't end up losing any mages to horror attacks this turn.

I’ll be risking a lot more NEXT turn though. Anyway... battles!

Heh. Breakout.

They’re just inferior versions of my mages. They have 1 less innate research than they should with their paths, and gain 1 point of extra research in slothful dominion. I guess they're just lazy?
Future Lukas Opinion: Honestly these guys are pretty good. Especially in vanilla. Communion Slaves with N access to put out the bigger stuff in a crowd? And Earth on top? I'd take them.

They do have gems, but I have SATELLITES.

Full size image for once! Those blue flames are astral fires, and I’ve never seen them before. They seem to be effective enough, but I’ve been talking with some people about strategy and I’m pretty sure blind evocation spam is the wrong approach.

Future Lukas Note: Yeah, I kinda disagree with this in hindsight. “Cast lots of evocations” is a good strategy! Is just need to do more things at the same time. Buffs, Conjurations.. a big pack of elementals is a great way to ruin someone's day. Also past me is messing up by not giving them things to cast and just letting them do whatever. Or even just swarm! Swarm is really good.

Sadly I literally do not have the N gems to spam swarm like these guys are. Astral fires does seem to work pretty well here, killing most of the summoned chaff and swarms.

...And Tarma, but he respawns. Up the dead hero count!..which I've lost count of. I'll go back and fix it sometime.
After this it’s all over. Fio punches a sleeping mage to death.

Two H1 Priests and some grunts. Might have killed some PD, but they ran smack into a real army.

I should split the golem off again, flying in like this just gets him blasted by his own side.

Even sadder. What was she doing there?

I guess he won the dice roll and attacked me instead. This is bad for me because it means I have less chance to snipe those provinces.

They get rocked.

...Huh. Looks like I missed a few gods. Good thing there’s no blockers!
They cast a few wimpy buffs, then...

Rainbow mages do not respond well to being shot repeatedly.

Shambhala battle is just another werewolf probing them.

[14:34] Ramc: poor ai shambala just sitting on the cap unable to do poo poo getting toxxed to death you love to see it
[14:34] Lukas: Why do you keep attacking him with werewolves?
[14:35] Ramc: I wanted to see how it was going
[14:35] Ramc: 'this lets them regen' yes but i doubt they are going to be there a whole year umolested
[14:36] Lukas: are you bane venoming them or something
[14:36] Lukas: ...I should move my scout off, I don't have many of those left
[14:36] Ramc: i have two charms under it
[14:36] Lukas: YUP
[14:36] Ramc: 'what about shambalas cap pop' 'not my problem'

And there goes Swarmhive’s cap. JonJoe now joins me in owning three capitals.

He’s still using air shield, but it looks like foul vapours isn’t being cast this time around. Makes sense.

Future Lukas: As I’ve been informed by the thread, FV would still do damage here. I think it might just do more to the attacker because of how much chaff can be shoved into that hole and the biggest casters being able to shrug it off fairly well.

There’s still attrition, but it’s nowhere near enough even with all the chaff he pumped into the breach. I saw claymen, swarm… even a water elemental. But they basically all die instantly to the pincers of doom and the rest of the fight's a boring slaughter.

Kark is breached, and I’ve got every other fort some level of damaged.

Desertion Count: 133

[15:10] Loggy: the "remainder" isn't used for anything and the "quotient" is simply the desertion percentage
[15:11] Lukas: so past a certain point it's just every unit having a 1/10 chance of deserting?
[15:11] Loggy: so long as it's not a commander or sacred/prophet/god yes

I’m approximately losing.. A tenth of my army every turn? Oof.

So. Astral Corruption. I apparently own the strongest astral caster in the game besides Purple’s god. So it’s my divine duty to dispel it!
...Once I’ve gotten a ring of returning. Which should save me from the horror that'll show up-

[14:48] tortuga invicta🌞🐢: also you need to remember that if he is in the cap the returning thing will not work
[14:48] tortuga invicta🌞🐢: or rather that it will work but that he will immediately get attacked again by another horror after returning
[14:48] tortuga invicta🌞🐢: and die
[14:48] tortuga invicta🌞🐢: or maybe it's the same horror idk

And moved him out of the capital.

[14:17] Lukas: God loving drat it why is my god immobile and homesick
[14:19] Lukas: as a side note thank you so much for mandatory drain3
I can just kind of laugh at purple(edited)
[18:13] BaronOhShi: YW
[18:13] BaronOhShi: your god is immobile and homesick because metal slug didnt have a sprite for the UN council
[18:13] Lukas: Drain 3 means that as far as I can tell 2 gem casts under astral corruption just.. don't attract horrors
[18:13] Lukas: well the UN council is being forced to teleport at gunpoint
[18:14] Lukas: so I hope they have a fun trip
[18:15] BaronOhShi: without a steady stream of bureaucracy and paperwork, they will surely die
[18:15] Lukas: it's only next door
[18:15] Lukas: The UN council is going to sign a firm non-binding resolution condemning the wasps flagrant pollution of the Astral Weave
[18:16] Lukas: and it might even do something
[18:16] BaronOhShi: no dont do it haha youre gonna be sanctioned
[18:17] Lukas: he is being sanctioned
...and invaded

So that’s why I’m teleporting my god instead of dispelling. Some poor fool is set to forge a ring of returning, and is going to die for it. Their life is less important than getting that item, and I'll get another one next turn immediately afterwards.
Future Note: Those pearls are useless because assassinations ignore scripting. Oops.

And it’s time to kick purple’s rear end!

It’s a goddamn mess up here. I’ve got a few diseased mages suiciding on Morh Woods, and I’m regrouping my other forces to keep the siege safe and take Zanthrast. Dunheim I’m swapping the armies out on, because it lacks a lab so I don’t… really care?
Correction: Labs are invisible on the world map. It could have one and I'd never know.
Kark is storming.

The Zanthrast attack force contains a backline, because I half expect him to patrol and flyers are highly dangerous.
I’ve started altering my scripting now, going for something a bit stronger than massed evocations.
A really big communion!
...That will mass evocations.

All of my mages are on Communion Master-> Buff -> Cast Whatever or on Slave Duty. Regen, Earthpower, Relief, Light of the Northern Star are all aimed towards minimizing fatigue, so I can just cast evocations endlessly until everything is dead. Sprinkle in a few big buffs too, but right now I don’t need anything.

I’ve also got the mages enconsed within shamecubes of soldiers to try to keep them safe.

Over here… spot the trump card. I'm so glad I made this when I had the chance, and now it'll finally see some use!

And regardless of how this all goes, at least my income will be way lower. I’m pretty sure JonJoe will be hitting Purple’s cap, and his big swarmhive stack is also within stabbing range.

Next time: Crowdfunding dispels.

LPix seems to be malfunctioning, apologies for any typos or weird images.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Do I spot a dude holding a storm stick?

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
Turn 50 - “To date, a jedi has not been successfully seduced”
I'm sure that's on somebody's to-do list.

I have gotten the band together and crowdfunded a dispel!
No sites found, and nobody got owned by a horror. Swings and Roundabouts. I could probably get a much easier result by just having mages go everywhere, but that sort of micro would drive me round the goddamn bend. Battles all went pretty well too.

And yup, that was a storm staff! It fucks my precision, but it means I can’t be ganked by wasps. Or bees. Or any flyer (that doesn't have #stormflight or whatever the term is). Still need to be careful, Air Elementals could surprise me.

They’re still rather fast, but not fast enough. Only other notable event is.. Why DO they always spam body ethereal like this when they go offscript? Is it like top of the buff-list in terms of how good they are?

I had legitimately forgotten I ordered this attack. Not screenshotting these, because they're just PD Stomps. The commando team is gonna meet up with Al-Khazim's crew, because while they're true-to-form this little crew won't hold up to a real army.

And this is.. A footnote. This is the army I’m most worried about once they meet real resistance, as they’ve got far less mages and no storm staff.

At least it looks like this layering kinda works for handling the flyers? The ones on attack rear just slam into more defenders.
Meanwhile, in Mediolania…
Hang on.

How did YOU get there?
God drat it.

More forts! More! I think the Regular Army’s event spawning of commanders might technically be capped actually. I didn't get one here this turn.
Future Lukas note: I think every single priest AI-Mediolania has is just.. Trying to call back their god. Which is why I get grey ones knocking on the capital constantly.

But that’s more of a side thought. Have mummies being shot by lightning!

As always for medio the mages are scripted to create a lot of undead, and they’ll try to clog up the gate while the crossbows shoot me to hell. I think I'd normally run out of bullets before they run out of undead, so this isn't a bad plan.

But I’ve got more than just bullets. Gifts from heaven start raining down while my other mages cast astral fires and magma eruption, and those ghosts can’t use ethereal to negate magic damage the way they shrug off the rifle shots.

Huh. I even saw a blade wind in there.

A lot of the soldiers are shooting over the undead, culling the mage population instead of just wasting shots on skeletons. Don't quite know why they do this, but I appreciate it.
Once the communion masters are slain it’s all over bar the screaming.

RIP. Don’t have many scouts left.
I’ve got one fort ready to storm, but the rest are all some flavour of moderate damage.

Ugggghh. They’re not even the ones costing me money!
Desertion Counter: 182

Right now eliminating purple > cleaning up Mediolania. I’m building up most of my forces on his upper fort, and I’ll use that to weather the counterattack and then loop around to handle raiders. I’ve also got a force moving into Morn Woods to keep it, because I literally cannot afford the 1PD.

I’ve also got a decently significant force going here to ensure this fort STAYS mine, because I expect purple to throw something at it considering the Lemnos stack.

...poo poo. Those Air Gems were meant to go to Al Khazim. Must have misclicked. Well that group is going to have.. Issues. I can hopefully deliver some later.

Now. Time to take a strong stance on the pollution of the astral weave. Dispel, powered by 212 pearls!

Uh.. 200 pearls. Ritual Caster does Not boost how many gems you can throw into an enchantment, I guess - but boosters do. Effective S2 means 200 pearls, it should be enough? This is going to get my god attacked by a horror too. I think.

So I brought a ring of returning. One hit will make him poof back to the cap instead. ...Or he’ll die, but I think that’s still fine? We’ll see. It’s worth it. Those two pearls are probably surplus, but I have him set up with the resources to cast returning and the script to do so just in case he’s smart enough to use it.

Oh! And Ramc has a discount site now. It’s not too useful at this exact second because astral corruption (and overall nerfs to how discounts work), but… worth noting. And mildly worrying.

I called it out publicly for obvious reasons. Thank goodness for spies!

Next time: Resolutions, and copious quantites of purple.

Oh, and important note!
Baudin had vanished from the face of the internet by this point, and for a few turns esteemed poster My Dad took over from him.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm kinda fuzzy on the timeline since this was a longass time ago, but first I subbed in for like a turn and a half for Oceania, and then subbed in for a few turns for (MA) Cassia. Oceania mostly involved just following instructions given by the player, but Cassia... Well, I mostly kept the scripts unchanged and did things like storming cracked forts etc, but I was expecting Baudin to return fairly soon. There was a funny play I did, which might become relevant later, tho. Once it became clear that he's not coming back, I passed it on to another player who will be brought up eventually. The nation was showing clear signs that Baudin was losing interest in the game, and a bunch of stuff was just a mess that would require large scale reorganization, change in research priorities, sitesearching, script changes, etc, and I just didn't have the time for something like that. It takes a lot less effort to incrementally change a mostly well functioning plan than it takes to rework a bad one from scratch.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
the classic move is to let you spend 200 pearls dispelling the first astral corruption and then put up a 999 slave one a couple turns later

definitely curious to see if that's how it turns out

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

LukasR23 posted:

Oh! And Ramc has a discount site now. It’s not too useful at this exact second because astral corruption (and overall nerfs to how discounts work), but… worth noting. And mildly worrying.

I called it out publicly for obvious reasons. Thank goodness for spies!

I mean, you basically have to. Only reason you wouldn't is if you're seriously allied or you want to save it to push someone over the edge to get them to attack but even then I think you'd rather the person know about it ahead of time.

LukasR23 posted:

Oh, and important note!
Baudin had vanished from the face of the internet by this point, and for a few turns esteemed poster My Dad took over from him.

Esteemed poster and notorious "lol watch this, scrubs" dom5 expert. :respek:

atelier morgan posted:

the classic move is to let you spend 200 pearls dispelling the first astral corruption and then put up a 999 slave one a couple turns later

definitely curious to see if that's how it turns out

OK, but what if you just, you know, put up the 999 version first and used the other version to summon stuff? They'll try the 200 pearl dispel either way, no?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

builds character posted:

OK, but what if you just, you know, put up the 999 version first and used the other version to summon stuff? They'll try the 200 pearl dispel either way, no?

To instill a sense of security. If they dispel the first one, nice job, pat on the back everybody, we di- OH MY GIANT STONE HEAD. You need to have a good back and forth to be a compelling villain.

I mean, if you just skip to the end, are you even bothering to play the game? They might as well
just immediately raise up a collective army and smite you for your insolence, if you're not even going to bother.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Mr. Locke posted:

To instill a sense of security. If they dispel the first one, nice job, pat on the back everybody, we di- OH MY GIANT STONE HEAD. You need to have a good back and forth to be a compelling villain.

I mean, if you just skip to the end, are you even bothering to play the game? They might as well
just immediately raise up a collective army and smite you for your insolence, if you're not even going to bother.

Oh, I see. You’re laboring under the misapprehension that I am a compelling villain and not one whose only real talent lies in ruining things for others and slowly sucking the joy from life.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Finance, eh?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

my dad posted:

Finance, eh?

More like a cross between the dad from the movie elf and the robot from the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy.

E: I think the reason you let someone dispel AC (which I don’t think you should do) is to put it back up when folks have started casting again to catch them casting/forging and ruin another generation of mages.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
the other reason is you can throw it up asap and it slows everybody way down and then when it gets dispelled you have even more slaves stocked up than you did the first time, though more applicable for when it stays up longer than this one

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

atelier morgan posted:

the other reason is you can throw it up asap and it slows everybody way down and then when it gets dispelled you have even more slaves stocked up than you did the first time, though more applicable for when it stays up longer than this one

This is all just theory crafting as when I actually play I get hilariously owned, but I would expect clever players to cast their own globals to fill the spots after they dispel AC.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
If only there was a way for us to find out what you'd do in a game like this one. But I guess that will remain a mistery forever. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

my dad posted:

If only there was a way for us to find out what you'd do in a game like this one. But I guess that will remain a mistery forever. :)

:hmmyes: :iiam: