Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Arcvasti posted:

Name a more dynamic duo then dominions five mod makers and not understanding how powerful AP weapons are.

the only moral AP weapon mod sacreds are my AP weapon mod sacreds (in guanghan)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Personally if I was expecting to bring my god to battle against a nation with any recruitable astral, I'd want at least S6 or S7. At S4 it's still like a 30% chance that any given cheap S1 casting Magic Duel pops your god like a cheap balloon, because it's not a bell curved roll, just 1d6+base astral and highest roll wipes out the other one(I forget if a tie wipes out the lower-astral one or blows up both).

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

PurpleXVI posted:

Personally if I was expecting to bring my god to battle against a nation with any recruitable astral, I'd want at least S6 or S7. At S4 it's still like a 30% chance that any given cheap S1 casting Magic Duel pops your god like a cheap balloon, because it's not a bell curved roll, just 1d6+base astral and highest roll wipes out the other one(I forget if a tie wipes out the lower-astral one or blows up both).

both lol

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Ramc posted:

the only moral AP weapon mod sacreds are my AP weapon mod sacreds (in guanghan)

Yeah the AP rabbits are pretty well balanced. They are still insanely murdery, but about on the same level as a vanhere, while being squishier.

PurpleXVI posted:

The Myrmec King is not meant as an SC past year 1, yeah. The point of the strat is to have really strong expansion and then have him hang out in the cap making sacred ant babies and using his big magic for rituals and forging. The propheted Myrmec Prince meanwhile you can be as reckless with as you like because if you get it killed stupidly then you can prophet a queen and unlock the H4 sacred summoning rituals.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
Turn 38 - Carousel of stabbing

[04:51] Johnny THCeed: @Lukas Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
[05:03] Ramc: this game is just a rotating carousel of stabbing
[05:03] Ramc: i can dig it
[05:35] JonJoe: ive been paid off multiple times
[05:56] Ramc: noone ever bribes me come to think of it :thinking:

[11:53]purpleDCLXVI: Welcome to the Elemental Plane of Spite, buddy.
I always like to ensure that violence towards me is met with something that discourages any future attempts.

It begins! JonJoe paid my electricity bill, so we’re still good for some major-grade murder. Also he’s amassing a terrifying amount of gems at this point just from being paid off, so.. Concerning.

Go ahead. Go ahead and guess how many of those site searches came up gold.
Did you guess zero? Well done!

Barbarians against machine guns.

Didn’t even get to melee range.

Opening attacks all went pretty well!
These three are all identical, so I'm not going to bother with map shots and just dump the battle reports.

All three of them involve people getting shot in the face. Only Venna is really interesting, because…

Instead of bothering with the front line they just shot up the commander first. I don't entirely know why, but.. hopefully they do it more often.

Next - the main event! This is worth looking at.
I tested the poo poo out of this for a reason, and those hours (okay, hour) were well spent.

You’ve seen him before, but now with gear and more importantly gems. For some reason it's confused his armour with another piece of magic gear, but it still works as intended.

This’ll keep him alive when they get into melee range. Magical is nice, but it's mostly just there for the easy prot and tiny bit of bonus HP. The Frost Brand is just there as a better melee option, and the Extra Credit should bring him back in the worst case where an unlucky hit brutally murders him.

Without armor, those halberdiers and pikemen at the front can absolutely kill him. And the mage..

Every failure I had was against an astral mage. This isn’t great, but that’s why I prepped.
First cast is earthpower. Reinvigoration is useful, and it’ll help him avoid fatiguing out when he weighs in at the end. And means when the air elementals come out he won’t be unconscious!

Speaking of which. Wasn't expecting one to kick this much rear end before I started testing, as this is technically my first time ever using one in a multiplayer game.

They start at size 6, and get smaller when damaged. I'm fairly sure they're considered the best elemental, at least when it comes to backline harassment.
Two more come out, just in time for the halberdiers to reach Al Khazim. But by then he’s up in the air!

And killing people in the backline. Luck won't save them!

They’re already running by the time a hit breaks his Obfuscate.

And the air elementals mulched the front line. Battle's won!

Oh wow, the mage actually stunned him at the end there. That’s impressive. But it's too late for it to matter at all.

Of course, step one after this is going to be getting the hell out because that’s his cap and its full of units. But this’ll make taking it way easier and piss him off something awful!

Oh, and Ramc finally took this back. I think he's annoyed after last time.

That's a lot of overkill. And… oh boy.

That’s going to get obnoxious when we start throwing down again. This is a "Vanilla" game without JBBM, so Howl is at full power.
Most of the events are boring, but one…

Whuh?

Whuuuuh?
I've never seen this event before. I mean, it's not threatening, it's just.. really odd.

Leader's trash too.

FUTURE LUKAS NOTE: I remember us discussing this in the thread! I dragged up this post when we were talking about it and had a sensible chuckle now that I know how this one triggers.

...Oops. I kinda feel bad for this death, I named them after a friend. Ramc’s bane venom charm finally claimed a real victim!

My upkeep is still racing my income, and I don't like how fast it's catching up. Setting up a lab here so I can transfer all-important gems, and otherwise mostly regrouping! I want to take a few other provinces while I can, so that first pack of soldiers is under orders to go as deep as possible while Al Khazim jumps a throne. Everyone else is regrouping.
He probably took the throne with his push, so I can expect his main force back in two turns and Zanthrast to either go for MY fort or head for the cap. Either buys time for ~150 troops to make it into Oiyur and eight-odd mages. It’s hard to keep track, and this is frazzling my brain enough already.

Because I go through every fort and do this every turn. Uuugggghhh.

The uneven masses do work, though. No chance of a remote attack sniping a commander and leaving everyone behind.

Now…
I like money.

It’s time to make some more.

This is.. I believe 1140 gold. It should finance me for a bit.

Future Lukas:
Oh god. It begins.
Expect.. a lot of alchemy from now on. I get my logic at the time for doing this, but look at how many gems I'm throwing away! I should be just ignoring money and going all-in on summons using my masses of mages, with occasional one-shot investments to build forts or labs or similar.
I'm not going to roll my eyes every time I do this, but you can probably substitute it in.

Cheap artifact this turn. Might as well, and fireballs are nice and tasty. I’m semi-considering empowering my god in astral just so I can play with some of the silly stuff.. I’ll think on it.

All those astral boosters are coming in handy, too. I haven’t gotten a single F2 random up there, so I’m teleporting one to guarantee a flaming arrows caster in case of emergency. She’s scripted to phoenix power, then flaming arrows - then just cast whatever while the fire bullets obliterate the enemy.

Next time: Counterattacks? probably?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
My usual response to getting owned is as follows:

Step 1: Trash talk
Step 2: More trash talk
Step 3: Attempt a doomed last stand
Step 4: Bribe someone else to attack whoever owned me
Step 5: Gloat

Also wow, that's the least threatening indie attack ever.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

LukasR23 posted:

Speaking of which. Wasn't expecting one to kick this much rear end before I started testing, as this is technically my first time ever using one in a multiplayer game.

Air elementals are legitimately one of the very best spells in game, and the combo of them + storm (+ summon storm power so 2-path mages can cast them cheaply) is alone strong enough to make air the strongest battlemagic path in the game. They have storm power 4, so if their stats look nice as is, just imagine +4 to everything. Crucially, it boosts their def to 20, which means they can stay on the field a lot longer.

Funnily, the mass elemental summon for them (living clouds) is kind of a trap choice. It summons size 4 elementals, as do all the other mass ele summons. For the others, this doesn't really matter, but as air elementals are tramplers, size and combat speed is their weapon and the reduced size-versions obviously lose both. You usually just want fewer big air elementals.

Also, air elementals take some buff spells really well. Add some prot on them and they rock even harder.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah s4 is bad for SCs but I have to use whatever I can to fight back at this point. Also that armor my king has doesn't fit any of my other units because I hosed up the mod.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Also wow, that's the least threatening indie attack ever.

The danger of it that it can trigger at 10-20 PD, and reduces it by 8 before launching the attack. And given 10 PD is a break point where you start getting passive unrest reduction - and 11 PD turns off some other bad events - it's a potential break point if you're fine spending a bit more than that needed for 1 or 6 PD.

Also, the RNG there rolled spectacularly low - it's 1d6 Heavy Infantry and 2d6 Light Infantry, and it rolled 2 and 3 here. Even the average rolls will generally beat most sorts of 2-3 size 2 PD. It's not hard to reclaim, but depending on where it happened it could absolutely be an annoyance.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

Tuna-Fish posted:

Air elementals are legitimately one of the very best spells in game, and the combo of them + storm (+ summon storm power so 2-path mages can cast them cheaply) is alone strong enough to make air the strongest battlemagic path in the game. They have storm power 4, so if their stats look nice as is, just imagine +4 to everything. Crucially, it boosts their def to 20, which means they can stay on the field a lot longer.

Funnily, the mass elemental summon for them (living clouds) is kind of a trap choice. It summons size 4 elementals, as do all the other mass ele summons. For the others, this doesn't really matter, but as air elementals are tramplers, size and combat speed is their weapon and the reduced size-versions obviously lose both. You usually just want fewer big air elementals.

Also, air elementals take some buff spells really well. Add some prot on them and they rock even harder.

I'm currently having a great deal of fun with Air Magic in a NationGen game, so I can drink to that. But at the time of originally writing this I'd never really played with it outside of occasionally screwing around in singleplayer and one very unfortunate Dom4 game where I got my rear end handed to me as Caelum.

I'd like to say more about this, but.. you hit the nail on the head. They're amazing.

BaronOhShi
Jun 30, 2019

LukasR23 posted:

You’ve seen him before, but now with gear and more importantly gems. For some reason it's confused his armour with another piece of magic gear, but it still works as intended.

The only way that you can get an armour that covers both head and body is by copying an existing magic item which does that (Thanks Illwinter), which is only a couple of things. I either had trouble with, or forgot to just copy the armour profile instead of the whole magic item.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
Turn 39 - Lots and lots of Bugs

So many events, so few that matter.

Burning fire gems to keep the budget green! I can't do this forever, but it’s nice while it lasts.
In all those site searches i found… two sites. Ugh.

Really wish BeardBeard had gone with 69 site quantity like he promised.
1 Pearl and 1 fire gem per turn.

Now. Battles! Most of which aren’t mine.

Standard trick - leaving a siege with one chaff unit. I’ve been doing it with a commander, but it’s the same principle. It’s a giant pile of mages and… devils?

Ooh. I do like Soul Contracts. Lifelong protection is better in my opinion but they're both good(?). The Maenad dies seconds later when the devils fly over to it.

I enjoy RAIDING!

Okay, old joke. But I don't care. Raiding's good! I need to do it more!

It looks like the crown of the titans does show up in battle.. But it’s hard to make out which is bigger.

My dudes once again shoot over the front line to focus down the enemy commanders. I don’t get why they do this, but I do kind of like it.

Even if they take a lot of killing.

He’s setting the stage. I’m not sure if Mediolania will stick around to siege this fort down, but considering he’s breached it this turn? I reckon he just might. I’m confident no matter who wins the dice roll that he’ll lose, though. More on that later!

Pavise crossbowmen are cool! All the power of bowmen, but much more survivability when dealing with enemies on "fire archers" or just general ranged armies. I'd use them against me.

Important clarification - this is MA Cassia, played by Baudin.

weedzmin — 04/07/2021
I won that fight against the one cassia but now the other one is attacking me too
it would help if you could point some of your infinite troops at them
Lukas — 04/07/2021
I will throw some stuff when I can, I've been doing my best to prop up the jedi with gems too
(Also I have infinite mages, troops generate annoyingly slowly)
weedzmin — 04/07/2021
thats probably good enough to cause trouble at least

Spoiler: I won’t.

Future Lukas: What the hell, past me. Way to be a jerk. At this point I had NAPs and my plan was just to slowly build up while I crushed Mediolania, and try to rely on just being able to doubleteam Ramc once his treaty with Oceania expired and that war resumed. So.. yeah. Throwing Shambhala to the wolves.

The longbowmen are boring, but everything else here is beautiful.

This obviously means they win. At least in the fashion contest!

...huh. I figured they’d still be immortal freespawn, but this makes more sense considering the overall theme of MA Cassia.

They’re swiftly crushed under a mass of bees. I wonder how this’ll go next turn.

Not even gonna bother showing this one off.

Or this one. Raid’s a raid, you’ve seen one you’ve seen them all.

This one’s interesting, though. Looks like Swarmhive finally cut loose!
...Not that it went well for them. Dying gasp?

God is hiding behind his own information box, and equipped the same as the last time we saw him. Just this time with a nice big gaggle of backup ants.

I wonder if they realize all the mind blasting is doing is making them mad?

His god runs into the middle of the pack, and while it seems to do pretty well at first…

Splat. There goes the big ant. After that it’s all over except the screaming.

I don’t think Swarmhive stands a chance.

Oh, and I bullied him off another throne.
Should’ve rescripted in hindsight, this is nowhere near worth the three air gems.

Splat.
But hey, I got a refund!

Shiiiiit. This is going to ruin my precision. And my income.

Aaaaaaa

Bonus bug - Forts under siege spontaneously generate commanders.

I fully expect him to try to storm Oiyur, so I’m sending everyone in. If he doesn’t, I’ll just take Zanthrast after refilling on gems.
I have about 250 soldiers here and eight mages counting the Jinn coming in.

One mage putting down curse of stones and another with flaming arrows. Both in the fort. If he wins the coinflip and storms he’ll be dealing with all that magic plus earth elementals defending the gate, if he loses it he’ll be outnumbered and outgunned. Darkness SUCKS but it’ll affect his crossbows too - and they don’t explode like my metal slug shots do.

Future Lukas: I think curse of stones is kinda.. Crap in hindsight? But hey, this was my first time seriously deploying battlemagic. I’m allowed a few mistakes! Not actually gonna bitch out past me when the core idea is good. Just.. not the spell.

...95% sure there’s a disease site here. Ugh.
Most of the rest of this turn is just movement in an obnoxious way, but I’ve done a few more bits of outfitting and summoning!

Gonna make a flying Golem to mess with people while shrugging off soul slays. Might not be optimal, but those pearls are just sitting there...

Artifact of the day - I’ll stick it on an arms dealer. I’m also evacuating one Hydromancer from the coast, because JonJoe is slowly running out of people to kill and I don’t know if I’ll have the one turn warning for Sea of ice.

Next time: Breaking a siege!

Sorry this one took so long, Christmas... sucked.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

LukasR23 posted:

This one’s interesting, though. Looks like Swarmhive finally cut loose!
...Not that it went well for them. Dying gasp?

God is hiding behind his own information box, and equipped the same as the last time we saw him. Just this time with a nice big gaggle of backup ants.

I wonder if they realize all the mind blasting is doing is making them mad?

His god runs into the middle of the pack, and while it seems to do pretty well at first…

Splat. There goes the big ant. After that it’s all over except the screaming.

I don’t think Swarmhive stands a chance.
A second god death? Yeah, pretty sure that's gonna cripple him. At this point I might go so far as to say the only thing left to do with Swarmhive is mopup (or rather, swooping in like a bunch of vultures to try to claim a piece of the corpse for yourself).

Anyway, don't worry too much about updating slowly; as long as you keep in touch we can wait.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Hahaha yesssss, suffer, Mediolania, for the temerity of assaulting me.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
Turn 40 - Enchantments

Ooh, Promotions! And a dead scout. Aww.

One successful sitesearch. ONE.

But this.. This makes up for it. Sure, I outnumbered him two to one. But still.. Everything. Went. Perfectly.
...Ish.

I had entirely forgotten that my main units get darkvision. Helpful!

One Death 1 nun, and a whole bunch of crossbows behind a front line of militia. They’re.. Utterly outmatched. Honestly this is bad the more I think about it, he’s seen my trump card. Namely Curse of Stones.

Future Lukas: Hahahahahahahahaha. This does show off that I’m using flaming arrows and have it researched, though.

Things start well.. And only get better! Everything's going off, although my normal mages are casting body ethereal a lot. Something to fix.

God, this just looks hellish with curse of stones up. I love it.

This is a shot worthy of the OP. But I've already written it, and I don't want too many images to go in there. It's still a good shot!
And then dominions mage AI decides to poo poo on my parade. Miss flaming arrows also summoned a fire elemental.

In my backlines.

And it accidentally lit someone on fire. Uuuggghh. That's the guy with Ol'kan's sceptre, too!
But by then the forces of Mediolania have been wiped out to the last undead.

That was beautiful.
Mister lit on fire dies, but the Artifact is not lost! And will be dumped on someone else next turn. Meanwhile, in Minz…

Looks like he won the coinflip, and attacked me in Minz instead of letting my units pass through and hit Mediolania. This is clearly a slaughter, but.. Look at the top there! That’s 590 gold of dead mage.

I will absolutely take that.

Haha wow it was turn 1

Sadly I’m massively outnumbered, so my brave men soon fall.

It looks like Mediolania has some custom communion spell they’re using with their priests, and then they use that to vomit out fifty thousand skeletons. While the horsemen and…

These guys kill everything normally. They seem pretty scary, but they don’t have a shield and I have guns. So I think with enough firepower I can melt them even more easily than the rest of his line.

Purple evicting the monks from his throne.
And… two battles in morn woods?
Wait, no. Moss woods.
This is his god! Again. All three of them.

One of them has air 4, but nobody has any gems. I think I can take them.

Meh.

I do love this event. I wonder if it still procs when you have 0 gold?

Ugggghh. Hate this one, though. This one can be a remote attack, but it’s unlikely.

And this.. Just feels bad. Oh well.

Now, you may recall I summoned a golem last turn. I’m not using it. Yet. I’ve got a stupid idea involving it that might just work. I’ve got a lot of stupid ideas, although my second one seems slightly more likely to succeed than this one is.

I suspect he’s going to pull this attack again, so I’m mass patrolling. Even if I lose, I should inflict a hideous toll - and my units come back way faster than his.

240 soldiers. Most of whom are scripted to [Fire X]. I have casters for both curse of stones and flaming arrows, and Al Khazim will be putting down wind guide and then recasting those buffs if they somehow didn’t get cast. And some elementals.

Future Lukas:Damnit me, use Air elementals instead of earth!

I really wish there was more that I could say, but that’s about the core of it. They’re all on patrol, so if he attacks he’s slamming right into the full army. There’s another ~100 soldiers coming in this turn as well, on a command I’ve never used before this - Move and Patrol.

This won’t affect the unrest at all, but it will keep them outside the fort for defensive purposes.
I frankly have no idea what any of them are going to cast, but it might be useful?
I’m changing my research goals this turn to get some more evocation, just so I can reliably have my mages throw out fireballs and similar - and blade wind. Blade wind is nice.

Evocation 6 is also an important target for Mind Hunt. It’s useless against Mediolania with all their astral, but not everyone has recruit-anywhere S.

Oh, and I gave this random mage the ruby eye. She’ll be useful for fire rituals later maybe. I could’ve given it to my god.. But that felt kind of limiting in terms of accessory slots.

Next time: Do I get my rear end kicked? Will Mediolania swandive into the bear trap? Find out more, next time on Atrocitwee!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

All golem ideas are stupid and thus wise because they're hilarious.

I love golems when there's finally a chance to get a decently geared production run of them, with a mediocre body armor, a brand and a vine shield, they can tear rear end through most kind of PD and most mageless stacks and are very fun raiders. Having a mindless commander that isn't a mound king or something also opens up a few options, especially if you're willing to empower them some, for spells that are normally a threat to a caster who has a mind, too.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
Turn 41 - A rather large letdown.

Bah. No battle in Oiyur means he didn’t attack. Which is.. Pretty bad for quite a few reasons. Mainly that Grey one with air magic being able to pick up air gems. Really don’t want to get stormed or arrow fend-ed.

Future Lukas note: I don't think Mediolania has arrow fend researched or is anywhere near researching it. But it's still a quite reasonable concern to have.

...Two unfound doors? What, is it a set of double-doors?
Also my second ever nature site. That’s nice! It’s just +1N, but every little helps.

Sadly the only battle was… a bunch of boring sacreds attacking Swarmhive. Scouts are getting lazy.

As are the events. But more gems are nice!

Also, we caught two scouts. Two nation-unique scouts, even.

A wasp, and…

A bee.

No, Really. I love that description. No battle videos because they both die instantly.
Well. If they won’t come to me… I have to come to them.

This is.. A bad idea. But it’s so bad an idea he’ll never see it coming. And if he does… then he still has to deal with a massive army summoning poo poo all over his face. After this I also gave a few more of them astral peals - I should have about six or so magic duels turn 1. They might do nothing… they might kill his gods. Magic duel is a gamble but losing S mages hurts him more than it hurts me.

Also I made this for no good reason. We’ll see if it works or if it just dies hilariously. No artifact this turn for gem reasons… and I’m kind of out of the main ones? Once my air income ticks up I might make the flying ship, but otherwise I really don’t need artifacts right now. Outside of the elemental crowns which I see no good reason to make. Maybe I should empower my god in astral…

Money status: Almost broke. I’ll probably do a big alchemy next turn.
Next time: Reckoning?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

On the sidelines, I've reclaimed my Feral Woods fort that Mediolania took from me and am smugly crowing about how he's suffering.

I believe... around this point Oceania also attacked me and I paid them a completely absurd bribe to go away and stop being annoying, so that I could focus on teching up. I want to get my BIG SUMMONS before I get into a fight I can't talk or bribe my way out of.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
dammit that bee had a family

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
She will bee beeloved for her sacrifice throught the Beempire

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

LukasR23 posted:

Also I made this for no good reason. We’ll see if it works or if it just dies hilariously. No artifact this turn for gem reasons… and I’m kind of out of the main ones? Once my air income ticks up I might make the flying ship, but otherwise I really don’t need artifacts right now. Outside of the elemental crowns which I see no good reason to make. Maybe I should empower my god in astral…

...Bomberman, is that you?

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
Turn 42 - Declare Bankruptcy

[14:46]Lukas:I am officially broke.
[14:46]Lukas:And thus have nothing to lose![/i]

Shambhala has two battles.. Which means they tried to break out (or attacked with a relief force) and then had a fort storm. That.. probably isn’t good. For them.

One magic site found. It’s Astral and water, so that’s nice!

And there was a battle in.. Oiyur. Oh dear. I was hoping he’d regroup. Maybe it’s a raiding force..?

Wow that’s a loving bloodbath. Note the ~2000 gold of dead mages. And 1600 gold of dead sacreds!

That’s a lot of dudes. On both sides. He obviously has the numbers advantage, but we’ll see how much that gets him. I wonder what he got on his gods...

Uh. Huh. I was honestly expecting more in the way of air gems.

I’d configured them to communion up, Cast Maws of the Earth (which doesn’t seem to have done much), then.. Do whatever. We’ll see how that works out.
Future Lukas: Maws of the Earth is an AoE7 spell. It wouldn't have hit that much, and it's one of those annoying spells with nothing in the log.

And then Ami does this.

Really, woman?

Antimagic and flaming arrows go up on the Mediolania side, and Ami does about as much damage to my men as their crossbows do. Whyyy.

By the end of the battle this is at 92. She’s destructive as hell.. I just need her out more in front. Like super more in front. Wow.

They’re taking huge losses, but that isn’t stopping them from hitting melee. And I’ll run out of ammo soon.

Huge, huge losses.

My communion starts casting gifts from heaven now that they’re offscript, and that proves effective. I’ll script it in the future. Also it's pretty.

But it’s not enough, and my frontline breaks and runs.
Now, this was a movement failure. If I’d had flaming arrows and curse of stones up I think I’d have won. BUT Ami needs to be moved as well.

Honestly though? This was good poo poo. Everything I lost can be replaced. No artifacts or one-of-a-kind toys. And I killed so many cap-only mages and sacreds.

Future Lukas interlude:

I've completely overlooked something really important about why that went so well. Those dead mages? Fatigue. I sniped two with commander shots, the rest was all fatigue damage. Probably from the fact the Grey ones were casting horde of skeletons off-path from them. Horde of skeletons, Legions of Steel, both of which are offpath from the majority. I still got quite a few kills, but this wasn't my superior army or scripting that killed those bishops.

Should’ve stayed home. This was a stomp.
Shambhala are fighting for their life! Or their cap.

It was hard to catch this all in one shot. There's one other mage type at the top, one died while the other lived.

Well, I know who I’m betting on.

Like ships passing in the night.
Looks like Shambhala is relying on.. Elementals?

I’m not too sure. Air ellies are nasty, but two isn't enough. And…

Oh boy that’s a big enchantment.

...Gnome?
Future Lukas: This is a 'vanilla' game. Howl is at full strength, so wolves will come in from every side forever.

I wonder where they got him from.

It’s not going to save them from the sheer tide of bees though.
Oh, and while it didn’t affect anything: the Gnome went offscript and cast growing fury. Future me or the thread will explain what that is and why it’s funny.

Future Lukas: Short answer: It makes every single unit in your army Go berserk. This means they'll charge at the closest enemy and punch them in the face. It does have practical applications and in situations where a rout would doom you it can be useful, but.. it also means your guys will fight until the die even if you'd rather they retreat. Also.. no more spellcasting.

Very bad, when you just did a last-ditch breakout with all your mages in your capital. It looks like the Air Elementals got brought down without much trouble, and then the guards just cleaved through the summons and units Shambhala was holding the line with until they broke.

It’s not enough to save them. Big clouds, big spells (I saw a few gifts from heaven!), and a big horde of bees stabbing all those mages.

Purple takes back what he lost…
And the bees take Shambhala’s capital!

Good for them. Kinda. Baudin seems pleasant as a neighbor for now.

That’s a biiiig counter-raid force. I guess it’s his reinforcements, or an attempt to cut off my army. It’s a consideration, and they’ll probably reinforce the siege.

Bonus, and I got to watch an indie attack on Oceania!

Kinda. They never stood a chance. This is just a barbarian wave but underwater. Life under the seas corresponds in many ways.

No, I don’t get told which 9. Oof ouch my wallet.

Future Lukas: Desertion Counter time! We're currently at 9.

Okay. If he retreats, I can chase. But I think he’ll move that stack down below in to support while storming. Scripting remains the same.. But Ami is now WAY off from the gunline.

Should limit the friendly fire.
Speaking of which.. Gifts from heaven! A new toy unlocked at evocations 5.

With hardcoded scatter that’ll gently caress me eventually. Level 6 gets me Mind Hunt, which I will probably use the moment I’m fighting a nation without heavy astral, and Wrath of God, which I might cast if I get enough pearls cause it’s funny.

Oh, and I’m transmuting another 33 fire gems to stay solvent. I at least want a few more turns of activity so I can handle Mediolania, after that.. Eh. Mass Evocations? Transition into summons?
Pray everything gets shot?

Next time: Gifts.

Future Lukas Interlude:

Wow, I was bad at maps here. I'm going to take a few shots of the world, and sum up what's going on.

First - Me. I'm doing OK, just moving a constant train of commanders and mages around.

Second - Formerly Shambhala. Now divided between both Cassias. He holds the throne still, but that won't last too long. The throne is the throne of Earth, which is where he got the throne from. I was very bad at keeping an eye on recruits.

Third - Swarmhive. Getting wrecked. Monarch Woods has another throne, which has.. another site.

A very good site, with very good mages. N4 is something he already has, but Oceania does not have recruitable fire, and a very low chance (5%?) of getting A3. It'll help him a lot. Not that I noticed at the time, but it's fun tracking progress of nations that I was paying no attention to. My entire thought process regarding Oceania was "Haha, bugs are getting their rear end kicked".

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
You can get gnomes from sites, most notably the Throne of Earth, but they'll sometimes show up as troops from events and can be gift of reasoned into full mages. They're good little dudes but have a bad habit of muting themselves when they cast howl due to tiny hp.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

...I didn't even know you could cast Growing Fury offscript, for exactly the reasons you bring up in regards to its flaws - or at the very least it should be incredibly far down the AI priority list. Mages randomly casting spells that stand a decent chance of destroying your own spellcasting corps (ignoring communion/sabbath burnouts) is really, really bad. Are you sure it wasn't deliberately scripted in some attempt to just prevent a rout and cause as much damage as possible?

As for communions, yes death masters that go offscript are absolutely in love with casting Horde of Skeletons and murdering their own communion. It's just one of those spells that the AI loves casting, and it'll destroy the typical choices for slaves in short order unless you're taking steps to prevent that. Unless you're a turbo communion, but that's an entirely different kettle of fish.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Oh, funny thing to see Oceania getting in on the violence. They'd attacked me a bit earlier, around the same time Mediolania did, I think, and I, frustrated, paid them an absurd amount of gems to gently caress off and attack Mediolania instead. I think something like 150 earth gems.

In-game I never knew if that paid off for anything more than "they have stopped attacking me" but it's good to see that the whole of the deal was served.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
TFW the mages drop all their spellcasting tools and a bunch of nerds run at you screaming

also re gifts:
https://i.imgur.com/BmmO18x.mp4

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Truly the gifts that keep on giving.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

I still want to someday troll someone by dropping an Irminsul with 30% regen on them that's casting meteor storm + spamming gifts.

It's pretty much the only thing that can survive that, by simply regenning faster than the meteors kill it.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
Turn 43 - “wow, maybe the metal device program should use real soldiers and not random shy girls as soldiers huh”
-BaronOhShi, on Friendly Fire

Yessssssss
Battle in Oiyur is good news!
Battle in Zanthrast is also good at a glance. It means he didn’t somehow twist around and backstab my army in White Forest, which would have gone pretty badly. So either he’s fighting purple, he’s backed off, or he’s in an all-out brawl with me.

First, magic sites!
I’m only really showing off the neat ones at this point, but there are a few!

This is pretty neat.

I wouldn’t fort it JUST for the site, but if I had money I’d stick a fort/lab here and use it for ritual stuff on the go as well.

...Actually no. I wouldn’t. Wow, water gets so few attack spells. There’s murdering winter, tidal wave, and that’s basically it.
Eh. Whatever. Next one is way better!

1S, 1E, and this is the province that had that necromancer tower too!

I’d love these guys, but… I already have E2 and S2 mages. Just not E2S2, which isn’t a big deal. Also they’re old and expensive and not-sacred. Too bad. Thanks for the fort though!

...wait.

That’s not a citadel.
[22:07] Lukas: Where do I formally protest about the crystal citadel not being a fuckin citadel
[22:13] Ramc: whose mod
[22:19] Lukas: It's not a mod its a core game magic site I think
[22:19] nurpleDCLXVI: Yeah, the crystal citadel lets you recruit crystal throne mages.
[22:19] nurpleDCLXVI: Like how the Tower of the Silver Order lets you recruit silver throne mages.
[22:19] Ramc: alas
[22:19] nurpleDCLXVI: Super rare, but very nice.
[22:19] Lukas: Right
But it gives a free fort
that's a fortress
[22:19] Lukas: Call it the crystal fortress if it's only gonna give me 2 comrec
[22:20] Ramc: crystal mages are well known for exagerration

Anyway. Battles!
It turns out Mediolania brought their full stack into Oiyur. So that’s fun! I just blindly clicked view battle, so we’ll see how things turn out.

Oh good. All my dudes came along fine. Water elementals a plenty, a couple of metal slugs, and my friendly neighbourhood golem. On the other side..

I don’t remember just how much of this I’ve introduced. But that frontline is a mix of living pilgrims and dead pilgrims - they’re squishy humans, but if they die they come back as decently tough undead full plate sacreds. I know I’ve shown off the god and the knights, but that still leaves the mummies, the bishops, and the other undead.

These are very tame mummies. 30HP sacks, that’s 90HP and great banish/spellbait.

And these guys are holy 2 (with a holy communion spell) with F2/S2/D2 at random.

These are pretty scary by my metric. Full plate, 15!MR (12 before scales and bless) and solid stats - plus awe. I’d be really scared of facing them in melee.

Except.. I’m not.
His prophet is also there. Somewhere.

First few seconds are a lot of spellcasting - all of his mages communion up, mine mostly cast buffs for some reason, then…

Jesus.
That’s slightly terrifying to see. All those massed satellite weapons coming home to roost. Nothing important died, but it’s still a beautiful sight. I think I might have missed half of them, too.

Oh, and I learned today this weapon is AoE1. Air shield doesn’t stop it.
On my side Ami is charging out.. A little too far. That one turn of attacking might have been a mistake.

Also: Magic duel! It’s a fun spell, but it’s super goddamn hard to track who casted it on who.
HP numbers and dead mages are the best way. -999 means they got exploded by a soul slay, and Magic Duel Soul slays if you lose.

For some reason Magic Duel doesn't leave a log of anything beyond "it was cast". Makes it hard to tell exactly who it's going for. Although it seems like magic duel targeting is smarter than I thought. I was expecting most of them to die trying for his gods or something, but nope! They sniped the expensive S1 Arch Bishops.
I did lose a mage in return - Totally worth it for three cap only mages.

This… isn’t. I don't like having to replace Ami or her gear.

Also the gods have started massing undead. I think this was the communion plan but I kind of murdered most of the masters?

It’s easier to see with wireframes.

First gift comes raining down! Close to Ami..

A little to close for comfort.

I really do like how.. Hellish curse of stones looks. All of my rituals went down, but wind guide lacks the cool animation. Now my units have a base 16 precision!

Nothing special about this next shot, just.. a comparison to how his army was at the start.

Look at it!
Oh, and if you zoom in there:

Seems like a lot of grenades is busy holding up some of those sacreds and skeletons. Pretty good for a meme build.
After this battle I’m going to stop using earth elementals with the main stack though. They never get to do anything.

Ami falls when I blink - she got shot in the back. I know how to script her for next time at least.
Future Lukas: No I don't.
I'm also out of water elementals. They're actually making progress across the map again.

Not that there are many of them left to.

A few even make it! And die immediately afterwards.

Wow this is working pretty well. Good job, buddy.

Another round of Satellite weapons goes off, and.. I think that just killed two of his gods.
Checking the logs says no, only one died - but still!

A second goes down right after. I think the battle is won.

Their scattered forces turn and rout, but very few make it out alive.

...well.

I don’t know how I’m going to top that one. God. drat.
It looks like the commanders mostly died to another stray fire elemental. Damnit Khazim!

[21:40] PurpleXVI: Mildly worrying, to be honest.
[21:40] Lukas: For you?
You got what you wanted, kinda
[21:41] Lukas: because I'm going to murder Mediolania properly now
[21:41] PurpleXVI: I mean yes, but I did also have some faint hope that it would bleed you somewhat. Still, works for me.
[21:41] PurpleXVI: Just promise you're not turning that hose of angry dudes on me afterwards.
--incidental global discussion--
[21:46] Lukas: also while you are nice and close to the murderhose I think I'm going to go for Baudin next or something
I kind of want to see if my ridiculous train can loop the map
[21:46] PurpleXVI: I appreciate not forcing me to Arrow Fend you into irrelevance while angry bugs eat your army. I promise you won't regret this.
[21:46] Lukas: also that yes
[21:47] Lukas: I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to deal with arrow fend honestly
[21:47] PurpleXVI: Flying boots on your heroes, launch them into my back lines to disrupt casting?
[21:47] Lukas: Beyond just doing an arco and communioning up anyway
I don't think arrow fend stops gifts
[21:48] PurpleXVI: Anything with an AoE isn't affected by Arrow Fend.

Mwahahahaha.
That third battle is just a scout. Not sure why that happened.

They lend their support to my noble reign! The global is..

Oooooooh. Hm. I’m legiitmately torn. Do I send a hero? A metal hero?
Grenade Golem?
Grenade golem is too many gems. I’m going to send…

This guy! 75% of this is just poo poo I get given for free, and I can make more water bottles. And I think he has a good chance of success against a lot of things.

[23:25] Lukas: I hope everyone is submitting something for the arena deathmatch
[23:25] Lukas: (gods are cheating)
[23:25] nurpleDCLXVI: Trust me, I am.
[23:26] Lukas: Although tbh if it wasn't for declaring hostilties lasting forever I'd have sent my god in with the hope something killed him
[23:27] Lukas: instead the carnival of stabbing will continue
I even brought clowns!

Oh, and Ami’s gonna be coming back. Immediately. She’ll be around in time to attack Medio’s capital hopefully!
I’m still alchemising my way through my fire gems. Alteration seven is AGAIN taking a back seat of sorts - I want to get some enchantment, as there’s a lot of nice globals down that path I can actually maybe cast at this rate. Especially if I save up my pearls and make a big booster that way.
Today’s artifact is…
A fire generator!

It’ll kill people but whatever. I have men to spare.

I’ve refactored my orders a little, but most of it just boils down to a bigger communion and more gifts. We’ll see if that works!

By the way, RIP Shambhala. They went AI this turn, presumably after losing their capital.

Future Lukas Note: Oh, have a "The world according to my scouts" shot. I've been completely ignoring that fort Oceania has sieged below me, and a few other buildups. Particularly notable.. every Oceania province on my border is either templed or has a priest in it. I didn't notice this at the time.

Next time: Arena!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
E2s2 is great for crystal coins and shields and for even more gifts. And with hats or coins they can all teleport around, making a very mobile “kill it with gifts” force.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Nice. Even in the middle of a holy hellwar, Heidern still finds time to enter the annual King of Fighters tournament.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Mr. Locke posted:

Nice. Even in the middle of a holy hellwar, Heidern still finds time to enter the annual King of Fighters tournament.

It helps when there're like a million of him running around.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
Turn 44 - “I’m disappointed in you all"
[22:15] Lukas: Nobody except me and purple sent a pretender

No, really. TWO arena battles? That’s it? At least I’m back to peak hero quantity once more. Evocation 6 gets me Mind Hunt, which will help if Purple gets to causing trouble due to his lack of Astral Magic

Our adventures in barely not being broke continue, but I’m running out of fire gems.

And Ami has returned to us! Hopefully I won’t lose her like a moron this time.

Sitesearching only hit once this time - But this site is nice.

I’m almost at the point where I’ll actually empower my god. Now. Battles!

Before I start showing off the battle though, I have an announcement to make.
I won.

...Okay, that’s a touch presumptuous. Buuuut

He went AI. :D
I’ve broken Mediolana and they’re no longer interested in playing.

Future Lukas: God, I sound.. too smug for my own good. I think he was already burning out, but Mediolania piloted by a AI will be way weaker than human Mediolania was in a few ways.

This is good and bad, because while their armies will no longer make sense they’ll also pump literally all their gems into summoning poo poo to throw at me.
Anyway, these guys are totally dead.

Totally dead. I kind of feel bad for them.

But at least a force this small didn’t accidentally trigger gemuse.

Would’ve hated to use a dozen gems on that many units. Wasn't entirely perfect, though - My Golem managed to get himself hit by friendly fire.

Pretty unfortunate. Never-healing wound, to add to him already being weakened.

The events are boring and irrelevant.. But now it’s time for the ARENA! I wonder what Medio sent as his last gasp.

..Oh. maybe it has neat equipment?
Nope. Booooring.

But on the right side, we have…

A big, angry wasp!

She buffs herself then turns him into a red mist.

I wonder how my encounter went?

About the same, really. Except the water elemental reaches her right before she takes off and eviscerates my commander.
...Whose extra life didn't go off?
Hang on.

...wow, I’ve been assuming it wiped the inventory this whole time. Sweet!

[21:12] nurpleDCLXVI: Looks like he took a big whack from the stinger, though, that's a lotta poison.
[21:14] Lukas: I mean yes he's 200% dead
[21:15] nurpleDCLXVI: More poison in him than blood at this point.
[21:15] Lukas: That stinger took his eye out
[21:15] nurpleDCLXVI: Oh I thought that was a default injury due to the eyepatch.
[21:15] nurpleDCLXVI: Jesus, that makes it even worse.
[21:15] Lukas: ...Why do these guys have two eyes?
[21:15] Lukas: @BaronOhShi bug report
21:16] nurpleDCLXVI: I mean maybe the eyepatch is just a fashion statement.
[21:17] Lukas: Yeah
You take his eye out, he just swaps it without missing a beat

Well, his death is a small price to pay for that discovery. Congratulations to the Iron Queen! For killing both tiny humans, she is rewarded with a hat.

It’s a nice hat.

Everyone who matters is moving to white forest, but Ami is fast enough to just go straight to Mediolania.
My main stack over in Venna is going to take the cap with her, and we’ll see what the AI does at that point.
...Probably just constantly raid me over and over in an obnoxious fashion.

Huh. Should’ve had a commander and mage generate there. That’s weird. Especially since I discovered it last turn. Maybe unrest?

In misc admin news, I’ve got my fever guy rigged up and ready to burn. And I’ve also found a goddamn disease site in my territory.

Ugh. And I don’t even have death magic!

My NAP with Ramc has almost expired, so I’m seriously contemplating starting another war with him. If I do… it’ll be after spring though. I only want to kill his dudes once. Of course failing that I can always just murder swarmhive.

..Vulture parts of swarmhive. They’re not doing too well.

There’s that one fort on our border and that’s it for their territory. Oof. I should have kept a closer eye on that, honestly. My next war is gonna be an interesting one. On one hand, I want to fight Ramc again. On another hand, Swarmhive is an easy target and then I can immediately wheel back round to bully purple. On a third copper arm… I was talking with Purple.

[21:46] Lukas: also while you are nice and close to the murderhose I think I'm going to go for Baudin next or something
[21:47] Lukas: I kind of want to see if my ridiculous train can loop the map

I’ll give it some thought. If JonJoe attacks Purple I’ll join in, but if someone else starts a war with one of the Cassias I’ll do that instead. If JonJoe attacks me… well, I’ll use sea of ice and take all their land stuff. Hopefully. This does mean I’m only grabbing Enchantment 5, but I can take Enchantment 6/7 after I’m Oceania-proof.

No artifacts this turn.
Next time: Taking Mediolania’s capital.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

LukasR23 posted:

Huh. Should’ve had a commander and mage generate there. That’s weird. Especially since I discovered it last turn. Maybe unrest?
How many guys are you getting per turn? This is just a guess, but it's possible that you're running into some sort of events-per-turn cap if your freespawn isn't working right (freespawn counts as an event, I'd expect).

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
Turn 45 - “Just found out that Alexsa is scheduled for a swirlie”

Tagichatn posted:

I just found out that alexsa made another mod nation called elomina but the units are all eldves

Great Sage Equal To Kevin posted:

just found out that alexsa is scheduled for a swirlie

Nothing too out of the ordinary here. I’m doing a LOT of site searching though. Some of it even turns out good!

This one is funny because that means I now have four full sites in this province.

Three earth gems, two death gems, and one pearl and fire gem. That’s on par with capital provinces.

Ugh. I thought I PD’d this. Damnit.

The AI Chaff onslaught begins!
Also damnit, Ami. I think I’m going to stop scripting her with the attack setup, it seems to get her killed.

Behold, my wall of guns!

Opposed by random crap. Funny thing about those monks..

They’re meant to be research monkeys. But Mediolania took drain, so they’re not really cost-effective (or mage turn effective) for that either.

Yeaaah. Ami ran right into melee range. But the enemy doesn’t kill her, so it’s probably friendly fire?

Five seconds later:

Haha wow that was half an inch off. But this wasn’t it!

It’s not a strong enough force to trigger gemuse on my units, but they’re still casting normal offensive spells. Gifts from heaven is proving highly effective against units that resist being shot the old fashioned way. Like the many Mediolania grunts with tower shields.

But eventually it’s just Ami and her dance partners...

What a way to go.

That's nice of them! Sadly this does not make a new site.

This is.. nice(?) But it’s only a palisades.
Future Lukas: gently caress you past me this is great. Free fort! Freespawn!

This is less nice. And I have no idea where they deserted from!
Desertion Count: 53.

I am alchemising ALL my fire gems this turn. I need my money to last until I break Mediolania. I’ve got two turns until Sea of Ice is out of the oven (I still think JonJoe will turn on me at some point), then two more until Riches from Beneath and I think three after that for Earth Blood Deep Well? Although I’ll probably cast the latter first. More earth gems to cast the former.

Future Lukas note: I think everyone was rushing Riches from Beneath at this point. Or to be exact, rushing arrow fend which shares the same research level.

God, it’s just an utter mess of forts up here.

Reinforcements from Diluphe are set to move and patrol, but I think the team in the lost world can at least inflict hefty losses on that little raid group. Assuming they don’t go for the fort anyway. The AI is oddly smart sometimes, but I think they’re going to go for the fort or backtrack and try to take Mediolania back.

Current Short term plans:
1 - Take Mediolania. And all the other forts there, if I can. May have to grapple purple for them.
2 - Steal poo poo from swarmhive to stem the bleeding a little.
3 - Wait for a coalition to form. SOMEONE is going to attack someone. If nobody hits anyone by the time I’m done with Medio I’ll move on to Baudin.

Next time: Defending!

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

CptWedgie posted:

How many guys are you getting per turn? This is just a guess, but it's possible that you're running into some sort of events-per-turn cap if your freespawn isn't working right (freespawn counts as an event, I'd expect).

I hadn't drilled into the code at this point, but I think you're right? The events limit in this game is weird. I know my arms dealer events are set to be overwritten by any other event that hits the province in question, but I can't remember how the troop spawning code interacts.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Happy World Bee Day.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
Turn 46 - “I wonder what the hidden subtext for everyone saying they can cast riches is”

Oh god two globals
And only one magic site found. Bah.

I think this guy was the starting prophet. Funny. This was a Shambhala-owned throne prior to this.

Goddamnit he’s already the richest person in the game. You don’t need MORE money, JonJoe!

[15:35] Lukas: I'm annoyed
Riches was on my to-do list because.. uh..
[15:35] Lukas: brokeness intensifies
[15:47] Ramc: simply overcast
[15:47] Ramc: i was also eyeing the spell tbh
--In our PMs--
[15:48] Ramc: 'what is the important subtext about everyone mentioning they can cast riches'
[15:48] Ramc: checks to see the research req for arrow fend ah, i see
[15:49] Lukas: this is why all-ranged nations were a mistake
[15:49] Ramc: star fox voice All-Range Mode!

Speaking of money, this barely covers my bills. Ugh. I need more!
Future Lukas: No you loving don't stop it

Uh.. hang on. I need to go grab the text for this.

The hell?

Ooookay. This explains a few things. They’d been trying to trade for pearls prior to this.

[00:01] Lukas: Before I offer anything I have a question: is this a spite play or are you actually of the opinion these pearls will turn the tide against the watery menace?
[00:03] Tagichatn: it's a spite play and I'll probably be dead in a turn or two
[00:03] Tagichatn: their sacreds just ran over me
[00:03] Lukas: awright!
[00:03] Lukas: How many do you want?
[00:05] Tagichatn: lemme see
[00:07] Tagichatn: I dunno, 100?
[00:07] Lukas: I do not have that many sadly
[00:07] Lukas:What the gently caress would you even do with 100 pearls

This, apparently!

...Wow, that’s a lot of slugs in that army. They got flattened. Poor PD.
And now for the Mediolania Battle! Which looks awfully like a breakout.

Yup! Breakout.

Which doesn’t seem to have gone well for them. Where did he even get archers? This is just the usual indie crap brigade though - lots of summons, ALL the cap mages, and a few sacreds I missed the first time around.

They’re outnumbered two to one as well.

I.. really don't think the outcome is in doubt, but I got pretty pictures.

Wow, those horned snakes died FAST. All of my important buffs have gone up, which is nice if a touch uncessesary.

I’ll have to do a full refactor before I do a serious fight again. Make sure everyone is vomiting out gifts. This fight DID trigger gemuse, but I wonder if…

Yup! Flaming arrows is still going off fine.

The golem nearly died. Again. My one commander death was.. Sheer bad luck!

Poor guy. He was one of the ones I cared about enough to name, too. And toting that rod of authority!
This should make storming the capital super easy - everything's dead. And talking of storms..

Buzzzzzz.

A whole bunch of them berserk from the first barrage, and they quickly clean everything up.

And finally…

[00:09] Tagichatn: although it's very possible jonjoe will simply storm my cap and kill me
[00:10] Lukas: yeah that's my dilemma
it'd be funny if I let you cast something dumb but I still want my pearls to cast dumb stuff myself
[00:10] Tagichatn: that's fine
[00:10] Tagichatn: I have enough to cast it
[00:10] Tagichatn: it's not even a super gently caress you global but I got ench7 so might as well
[00:11] Lukas: meh
[00:11] Lukas: I'm gonna save then, sorry

Looks like I was wrong!
But this is still not enough to turn the war around.

It looks like he just opened with a mega-communion?
Meanwhile JonJoe divine blesses with an outpost kit I’d sold him.

Then the mind blasts kick in. All of those big ants have them, and there’s a lot of big ants.
This is followed up by Darkness. And Howl.

And devils on his backline.
His berserking sacreds now have an effective attack skill of… 6. 10 when angry. That’s not very good.

This reminds me of really early on, when Beardbeard’s defence plan was “I’m going to stack defence skill, they can’t hit poo poo”. Except this time it might work?

And that’s a LOT of chaff. When I wasn’t looking swarmhive put down relief as well, which helps his units with fatigue.

Note how many more soulless are in the breach now. He’s killed a LOT of ants. But they’ve killed a lot of sacreds.

The remaining sacreds fled soon after, but the zerking ones fought to the death. Jonjoe seemed pretty positive about it when I spoke to them afterwards.

[04:34] Lukas: it looks like darkness+howl+chaff+way too many mindblasts?
[04:34] JonJoe: I still came out ahead on that exchange even though I lost btw
[04:34] Lukas: Oh yeah absolutely
[04:34] Lukas: That was like everything he has left
[04:34] JonJoe: It costed me a mere 5000 gold of cap only sacreds. I can recruit 900 gold worth of them per turn.

[04:35] JonJoe: also I used 0 mage support which was a bit dumb of me imo
[04:36] JonJoe: I should have figured he'd try something like this and brought at least a relief caster

Eventually they die. And.. hang on.

Are you in the right nation?

Events!

Meh.

This.. shrunk her. That’s funny.

And this is swarmhive being jerks!

That one kill was from an unexpected fire elemental. It always is. Ugh. Good thing this failed, or he’d have somewhere to flee too that would be in the middle of my territory.
And my scout got sniffed out. Meh.

It’s time.

I definitely got lucky. I think it’s a morale check? Nobody deserted this time. Desertion Counter remains at 9.

I am taking Medio this turn. 100%. Especially after that breakout.

Future Lukas: drat, I didn’t write anything for the rest of this turn. But I’ve got it backed up, so.. Key movements and scripting changes!

…Or not. I completely forgot to rescript all the mages who had used up gems. I still have the resources for another set of flaming arrows, and I’m suiciding a mage from that set who got feebleminded.

I’ve got a pretty big chunk of mages and troops heading to go hassle the swarmies, but it’ll be a turn or two before they’re fully in place. No notable scripting, but I can do that when they get there.

Oh, and to elaborate on the title remark:

The real punchline is that Arrow fend isn’t that great against me. And it’s only going to get worse and worse as my troops desert and I switch over to using commanders for ranged damage. They’d be much better with Thunder Fend at enchantment 8.

Next time: Storming the capital!

LukasR23 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 15, 2022

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

LukasR23 posted:

Future Lukas: No you loving don't stop it

:hmmyes:

Always gems over gold. Imagine how many fire snakes you could have!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Friends... I love war