Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i guess I just think in general the forum should have more discussion and less Lmfao can't believe we're going to let the fires rage because it's time to Open Biden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

WampaLord posted:

People calling honest descriptions of reality "doomposting" is a much bigger problem than megathreads, imo.

The moniker is definitely over applied to where cspam being doomer is meme level lexicon but the phenomenon is real, to an extent. Expecting bad news can act as a crutch rather than a realistic logical progression from present information.

e: to be clear, this isn't any call for enforcement (unless somebody would like to go insane like flavius) or really unique to c-spam but just goons base level over estimation of their own intelligence. Just that c-spam has discussion on actual downer topics without rigid enforcement from the happy police so it'll naturally end up in this annoyance zone from time to time.

Homeless Friend has issued a correction as of 01:40 on Jun 25, 2021

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Homeless Friend posted:

The moniker is definitely over applied to where cspam being doomer is meme level lexicon but the phenomenon is real, to an extent. Expecting bad news can act as a crutch rather than a realistic logical progression from present information.

e: to be clear, this isn't any call for enforcement or really unique to c-spam but goon base level over estimation of their own intelligence. Just that c-spam has discussion on actual downer topics without rigid enforcement from the happy police so it'll naturally end up in this annoyance zone from time to time.

And I think that's a far better option than enforcing a level of toxic optimism. Yeah places like the climate change thread can get pretty bad sometimes but that's just a natural reaction to the material conditions of how the climate is hosed.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Athanatos posted:

What are some of the slower threads you enjoy? (Same question for anyone)

I personally feel the same way about megathreads. They need to be rebooted often. I've found in my years of being here, when a megathread is new...new people are more likely to show up and hang out. When a thread is 4000 pages and someone new jumps in, everyone tends to go "omg this guy didn't read page 221, what a loving loser"

A bonus of the rebooting threads...people have to click the directory more often and see other poo poo they may enjoy.

I enjoy the Marxism thread, the failing new York times thread, the recently opened Grayzone thread has been good. I like the glenn greenwald thread because it's always been a thunderdome of two very different style of posters in cspam. The various regional threads are all good, even if they lean more towards megathread now. Most of the problems come from American politic megathreads for... reasons that are pretty obvious.

Larry Parrish posted:

i guess I just think in general the forum should have more discussion and less Lmfao can't believe we're going to let the fires rage because it's time to Open Biden

Bringing back the banning of memes and catchphrases would help cspam tremendously in getting a bit more creative. I'm not saying people can't ever just have a low effort shitpost, but when every post is just a meme or a reference it feels like you're reading a comments section.

Someone also mentioned having a threadsday type in cspam and that could be a good idea honestly. There were a couple of megathreads that had their start from sjy doing that a few years back.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Black August posted:

It's outrage addiction. It's easy to pick up the habit and it's an issue with a majority of people online. There's access to up-to-the-second news of every single injustice and horror of the world. 24/7 tracking and pattern recognition of bad poo poo that becomes a bad mental diet, day in day out. It makes you mad with powerlessness and anger, gets you wound the gently caress up way too tight. You start to express your hatred habitually in like-minded spaces, and it starts to fry you out.

I'm an addict, I did it too for a while, expressing really ugly sentiments because I had my emotional nerves rubbed raw from reading news about related events in my life. Really personal to me, felt really good to get mad about it. Realized it was making me feel sick and think sick, making me miserable to be around and preventing me from healing my habits, so I stopped looking at it altogether and tried to consume positive material. It's really hard to do because it's uncertain times and you want to consume media for safety to know if something terrible is about to happen, and for the sense of unity with others against the ones who wrong us, and all the reasons but you just can't keep your brain constantly flooded on that feeling without deforming yourself. Gotta take a break, even and especially if you're an activist in it. Which is really hard, and there's no real support network for the idea.

good post from QCS that's relevant. I think it's ok to be depressed and angry but not to be either all the time, and I don't think you need to 'enforce optimism' to counter it. You simply need to not post like that all the time.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the only thread I've seen where I'm worried about the posters' mental health (in a genuine way) is the covid one. I don't know what to do about that, though

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Athanatos posted:

Is there an archetype to look for? Is is even finding a "cspam mod" or should be be "find a mod for every iteration of cspam thread" and maybe one or two overalls to oversee the large group?

There are a couple issues with the moderation here honestly. The main thing is to either scrap the huge megathreads or to have dedicated IKs for them to solve some of the more obvious issues, the best example of that being Squizzle arriving in the glenn greenwald thread and arbitrarily probing and thread banning a loving dog, an action that literally no one in the thread wanted or supported. As a result there was a huge derail where everyone got really mad and yelled about it, the mod crew got defensive, it was loving stupid. Less of that kind of arbitrary moderation by mods who have nothing to do with the threads they stick their giant idiot feet into would be great.
The other thing is to pick mods who are going to less thin-skinned, which is difficult, or to be a lot more trigger happy about removing them. How much time and goodwill was pissed away by keeping Flavius around even though he was a loving terrible mod who did nothing but throw gasoline on every single fire he could find? Hell, there doesn't seem to any consensus about whether shitposting is even allowed in this nominally non-serious forum- me and I think Larry(?) got two weeks for saying witchcraft isn't real, seemingly because the one mod who designs tarot cards got his feelings hurt by people loving about in there and decided this was a Serious Thread So Act Respectful. It seems to be left up to the mood of each individual mod on that day to decide what the tone of the forum is, basically

some plague rats has issued a correction as of 02:12 on Jun 25, 2021

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
The "just stop 'doomposting' so much" is not just a CSPAM thing. Sports posters absolutely hate their teams and say things like "welp season over, trash team" when their team is in first place. TVIV has the same thing with hate watching. I could go on and on.

Figuring out if or when to moderate that poo poo is the hard part. I don't have an answer for that. I mean, really the answer is "context matters" and sometimes when people have nothing worth a poo poo to add other than being Eeyore, maybe it's time to move them on from the thread. Like Larry's quote there, it can be an addiction for some people.

But really, it has to do with the vibe of a thread. If a community is fine with that in their space, then that's what the thread is. At some point the majority rules and the community makes itself what it wants to be.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
We already have a feedback mechanism, it’s twodays answering machine.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

good post from QCS that's relevant. I think it's ok to be depressed and angry but not to be either all the time, and I don't think you need to 'enforce optimism' to counter it. You simply need to not post like that all the time.

lmfao black august was a doomer, i knew it. but yeah I think, going to my last post the solution is just to probe ppl for being annoying. I think theres away been a bit of reticence about this because post have this political nature and punishments can appear as partial vs users. It always felt like Squizzle was grappling with this on how to get a handle on taintrunner, way back when, because he operated right in this zone of annoyance.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
forum is good except for the monthly bad faith qcs threads where idiot admins who dont like politics take actions to look like they're doing something.

off topic non-politics threads are fine. you could move them to gbs or pyf but I don't know how that makes anything 'better'.

would more smaller threads be good? maybe. but most people seem fine with their megathreads. if there's a topic or news story you want a thread for, just make one.

stay the course. four more years.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I don't really see the link between having megathreads and the bad behaviours people are describing. Besides like: there are a lot of people posting in them and some number of any group of people will behave badly.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Athanatos posted:

What would a good mod for CSPAM be and do?

well frankly, the good mods and IKs that we have had, had their buttons taken away during lowtax-era slapfights for defying lowtax & co. and there's been apparently no awareness under the new regime that those people would have been better picks than, say, flavius, when you were looking for a new person to mod cspam. flavius was a guy who i would never have imagined doing what he did, but also i think people could have predicted that he was not necessarily the right person for the job of moderator in comparison to like, wampalord or nichael or many of our other mods/IKs that only had their buttons for a short time for dubious reasons.

on the other hand, i don't think it's a good idea to have any poster be a mod in here for a really extended period of time. during the first couple of years this subforum had really wild turnover in mods and it was frankly better that way. no one became an institution and you had fresh eyes on the subforum's moderation priorities pretty frequently. sometimes a mod or IK might suck, but they would be gone eventually. and there were more thread-specific folks with buttons; raskolnikov was a really good succ zone IK because he understood the culture of that specific thread very very well, for example.

i think megathreads are fine and "non-political" threads are also fine - great, even. cspam itself is a community with a very specific vibe and i don't necessarily think that that vibe is entirely bound up with leftism or any other one shared characteristic; we just have our own thing. saying we have threads that are "off-topic" is like saying that gbs or fyad or byob have "off-topic" threads when the vibe of the community is the point of those subforums, not a specific topic. definitely we're a political subforum but we're also more than that

Jazerus has issued a correction as of 02:27 on Jun 25, 2021

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

some plague rats posted:

It seems to be left up to the mood of each individual mod on that day to decide what the tone of the forum is, basically

This is another one of those things that's weird to find the balance in a forum like this. It's also, one of the weird things about QCS that cda brought up once.

Lets use your last example. The witchcraft, tarot, whatever thread was their own community. They had their own rules and whatever for their thread that they expected. When someone broke them, they expected that to be fixed BUT, that thread also lives in CSPAM, where it's not a "try hard post with effort" forum, so someone clicking the thread is coming in with different expectations.

So which is the right call?

Do you let each thread set their own standards, and if someone stops by to disrupt them probe it? Or do you let the fact that you are in CSPAM direct the standards for your thread?

cda once said that all the people that come to QCS are use to, and expect the level of moderation from their own forum. That's what they come from, so QCS threads to one set of people are loving horrible and to others are just the normal way things goes. It's the same thing for different threads in here. Witches wanted their hangout troll free, CSPAM overall works a little different.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
to be fair I didn't even troll that thread; i said it was basically a hobby for rich people with too much free time and got accused of being a misogynist and being 'anti-indigenous'. i would not have a problem with a no troll zone thread. i would have a very big problem with a 'you aren't allowed to disparage my dumb hobby in any way' thread. there was a similar thing with the finance thread which was full of genuinely awful advice like working for Amazon's mechanical turk to supplement disability, or to work online instead of facing your agoraphobia and getting a job, and I ate some probations for pushing back on that.

i guess at the end of the day all I have to say is we need more mods and better mods. i don't really know how to achieve better mods but I think a good place to start would be rotating or electing some IKs for a trial run I dunno. i don't really want to put pressure on the admin team since they would have to run that stuff manually but I don't know what the other option is. if you ask me this forum was much better before admins stopped caring about it and we just let the existing mod crew stay forever.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
As for doomer posting, I think it is warranted considering...the way things are going. That said, I think logging off/taking a mental health care break should be encouraged if needed. Also, it wouldn't be a big thing if posters just requested "vacation probations" if needed. I don't know if it is a serious issue yet at least but I am sure there are posters that are struggling to compensate. I don't think the offtopic threads are that big of the deal.

That said, I unironically wish there was more cross-posting from other forums even though I know the issues at hand.

quote:

i guess at the end of the day all I have to say is we need more mods and better mods. i don't really know how to achieve better mods but I think a good place to start would be rotating or electing some IKs for a trial run I dunno. i don't really want to put pressure on the admin team since they would have to run that stuff manually but I don't know what the other option is. if you ask me this forum was much better before admins stopped caring about it and we just let the existing mod crew stay forever.

Yeah, unfortunately, that probably can't be re-wound. But, I think it is just really tricky for cspam mods, in particular, to balance everything especially when you throw QCS into the equation. I mean you can say that a cspam mod "should always be on the side of cspam posters" but how does that actually going to work.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 02:48 on Jun 25, 2021

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Athanatos posted:

Lets use your last example. The witchcraft, tarot, whatever thread was their own community. They had their own rules and whatever for their thread that they expected. When someone broke them, they expected that to be fixed BUT, that thread also lives in CSPAM, where it's not a "try hard post with effort" forum, so someone clicking the thread is coming in with different expectations.

Do you let each thread set their own standards, and if someone stops by to disrupt them probe it? Or do you let the fact that you are in CSPAM direct the standards for your thread?

If you want a straight answer here, I'll give you one: to continue the example, if you want to make a thread discussing the serious business of witchcraft with No Trolls Allowed? Make it in D&D, or the hobbies forum, or CCCC. Don't just go "well, I'm a cspam poster, so I'll post it in cspam, and the normal forum cultures won't apply because I'll say they don't and this mod will give me cover because it's something he cares about." That kind of dumbassed home-forum mentality leads to stupid poo poo like people whining about brigading and forum invasions because they saw someone post somewhere else a couple times, it sucks poo poo

Larry Parrish posted:

to be fair I didn't even troll that thread; i said it was basically a hobby for rich people with too much free time and got accused of being a misogynist and being 'anti-indigenous'.

Lol yeah that was it. Incredible

some plague rats has issued a correction as of 02:45 on Jun 25, 2021

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i like cspam and post heavily here while almost never having seriously posted anywhere else the whole time ive been on something awful because its a low judgment zone nearly everyone here admits to having been a total dumbass before 11/9 and the ones who werent arent smug shitheads about it

by the same token i also think this makes the subforum less suspect to toxic personalities taintrunner got run out fast once his rereg identity was publicized and i write this as someone having once regarded him vaguely positively its a stark contrast to how tinybrontosaurus was treated where people were scared to say she was toxic and her being an obvious rereg was dismissed as a conspiracy theory for years

i also think the smarter posters here are generally fairly nice and try to avoid drama if it gives them an excuse to talk about theory which is a philosophy i try to take to heart about my peculiar posting specialties the entertainment press and korea i think people should only be mean if its funny because then the person getting dunked on can laugh too ive been on both ends of that and its always a much much better experience here compared to other subforums

i dunno what admins can do about that nothing i guess moderation is honestly much improved since half the mods left and werent replaced i really think if people have a problem with us they should just try to talk with us i dont know why they think were so unapproachable

your question about the best posters is weird not sure why you asked but when i first got here gradenko seemed really smart and cool and he called me his main man once which made me happy his perspectives about the phillipines are really great and im glad hes here

oh and uhhh i enjoy the threads i post in which seems kind of implied but you seem to want specificity so there it is obviously my comments about cspam and why i like it only really apply to those threads

Some Guy TT has issued a correction as of 02:46 on Jun 25, 2021

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

the thing about chat threads is that, while not everyone enjoys them, the people posting in them generally do. killing a chat thread means that that group of posters arent able to hang out anymore. I don't see how that benefits anyone.

was posting triumpo the height of comedy? no. but who cares. make a new thread to seriously discuss him. the trump thread was not harming anyone except for people who decided it wasnt funny and had to go.

covid thread is the other one. some people like posting the latest news, some like posting about getting the shot and feeling tired, some like posting about their pets, or just like posting with their pals. I don't think this has prevented any important discussions from taking place. if you want to post about covid it's still the place to go.

you could move them to chat crew central but it's not like they're harming anyone by being here.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
make a 'too big, too fail' subforum and move megathreads in there imo bing bong. small cspam and big cspam. seperate but equal

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

when we talk about megathreads do we mean the threads with a large scope or the ones with a lot of traffic

the eurasia thread is the best one imo but with a huge scope but not much traffic and outside of china no one country umbrellad there could support its own thread thats why brutalist mcdonalds kept expanding the scope

hes a good poster btw not really clear why he stopped being a mod he was pretty good at it

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Granted, is the current chat thread a big deal beyond it has its own thread culture that a bit out of step with Cspam? (That said, it was perhaps time it was relabeled considered how far is strayed.)

Yeah, I don't know how you would break up the COVID/Climate Change/Doomsday Economics/Marxism etc threads either since they are usually on topic. They just cover fairly broad topics that posters are interested in.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 03:08 on Jun 25, 2021

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Any time mods try to change a forum they just make it worse. Just probe people who are pricks or bigots. If there's a thread you don't like, just don't look at it. Maybe they're in there posting pictures of cats and sandwiches communistically. Who cares?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Granted, is the current chat thread a big deal beyond it has its own thread culture that a bit out of step with Cspam? (That said, it was perhaps time it was relabeled considered how far is strayed.)

the current CSPAM chat thread isn't really, it's just the Trump thread remade like minutes after the last one was gassed and forbidden for being weird.

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

Pamela Springstein posted:

the thing about chat threads is that, while not everyone enjoys them, the people posting in them generally do. killing a chat thread means that that group of posters arent able to hang out anymore. I don't see how that benefits anyone.

was posting triumpo the height of comedy? no. but who cares. make a new thread to seriously discuss him. the trump thread was not harming anyone except for people who decided it wasnt funny and had to go.

covid thread is the other one. some people like posting the latest news, some like posting about getting the shot and feeling tired, some like posting about their pets, or just like posting with their pals. I don't think this has prevented any important discussions from taking place. if you want to post about covid it's still the place to go.

you could move them to chat crew central but it's not like they're harming anyone by being here.

I agree with you. I mostly post in the chat thread because it’s a fun way to pass the time while I’m at work. My job has the always has news on the work TV so I like having a place where I can talk about what’s happening in the world with a relaxed atmosphere. I known the memes/ in jokes might put some people off but overall I think we are really nice to any new posters.
I also agree with what some plague rats said. I think Cspam is at its heart a funny politics forum and if you want to have a serious discussion about your hobby there are other places on SA to do that. I think I’m general people should be enough to visit different parts of the forums.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

when we talk about megathreads do we mean the threads with a large scope or the ones with a lot of traffic

the eurasia thread is the best one imo but with a huge scope but not much traffic and outside of china no one country umbrellad there could support its own thread thats why brutalist mcdonalds kept expanding the scope

hes a good poster btw not really clear why he stopped being a mod he was pretty good at it

I just think huge page count. Institutionalized threads, mostly always on page 1. i'm just still trying all these years later to make SJY's dream of small thread churn come true. It sorta can't exist because that kind of environment requires small threads to be visible on load which can't happen since theres 10 big dogs or w/e parked right there. I'm not actually opposed to big threads or anything, just think it would be interesting. change it up u kno

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

hey ardennes why do you mod d and d but not cspam

im just curious because you seem pretty chill and more in step with the subculture here than the one over there

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ardennes posted:

i don't understand this perception at all. trump/chat/whatever thread is literally just the central hub of cspam. it's the community center where people hang out and talk about whatever, and always has been going back to the earliest days of the subforum. in a lot of ways the cspam culture was born there! i think that maybe people who post negatively about it don't realize that most of the people in the subforum have participated there, it's not some other group of people with different values who just hang out in cspam. sort of a microcosm of the SA posters throughout the site who say bad things about cspam without realizing that many of their posting pals in games or whatever also post here.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
I dont post that much here but I read the threads here frequently. (I almost said I read the threads here a lot but then I realized I probably spend a lot less time here than the frequent posters and regulars.) The thread I read most frequently here is the CSPAM Pictures thread because I like pictures, and also it's more of a "post content here" thread than a chat thread. Usually.

Sometimes it can be hard to find where discussion about a particular topic is happening if it doesn't fit any of the big megathreads. Recently it took me a little while to figure out where discussion was happening about John Mcafee's death when that was breaking. I figured it was a pretty CSPAM topic so I figured there would be lots of talk about it. But I couldn't figure out where at first, since it's not like there was a "MCAFEE IS DEAD" thread. (It's the subtitle of cspam chat now, but iirc it wasn't then.) I checked the Internet Cum Warrior thread because I guess Mcafee was an insane person online so he'd fit there, maybe? There was some there but most of the discussion was happening in the CSPAM Chat thread. I guess I should have expected it since it was breaking news at the time but I generally don't check that thread since the style of posting in there doesn't generally seem for me. (Or maybe it is, I don't pay enough attention to it to see more than random snippets of it whenever I peek in there)

The conclusion to this might just be that I'm a dumbass that doesn't know to check chat thread for misc. breaking news but I guess it would be nice if there were more room for single-purpose threads to cover specific topics.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

personally i just dont read the trump slash chat thread because that kind of fast paced posting isnt my thing its why im on a message board in the first place

i only ever hear complaints about the trump slash chat thread in the indirect sense that the mods from there gently caress up other threads for no reason and funny thing once the mods went away the complaints too disappeared basically overnight

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Takanago posted:

Sometimes it can be hard to find where discussion about a particular topic is happening if it doesn't fit any of the big megathreads. Recently it took me a little while to figure out where discussion was happening about John Mcafee's death when that was breaking. I figured it was a pretty CSPAM topic so I figured there would be lots of talk about it. But I couldn't figure out where at first, since it's not like there was a "MCAFEE IS DEAD" thread. (It's the subtitle of cspam chat now, but iirc it wasn't then.) I checked the Internet Cum Warrior thread because I guess Mcafee was an insane person online so he'd fit there, maybe? There was some there but most of the discussion was happening in the CSPAM Chat thread. I guess I should have expected it since it was breaking news at the time but I generally don't check that thread since the style of posting in there doesn't generally seem for me. (Or maybe it is, I don't pay enough attention to it to see more than random snippets of it whenever I peek in there)

as someone who posts content and has to arbitrarily guess the best thread for it i would have guessed epstein but yeah it can get arcane sometimes

i do like having semispecialized threads in part because it makes me think harder about where a post should go or if it should even be posted at all

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, I don't know how you would break up the COVID/Climate Change/Doomsday Economics/Marxism etc threads either since they are usually on topic. They just cover fairly broad topics that posters are interested in.

I honestly don’t think the chat thread is that out of step with the rest of cspam. If you think the high page count is tuning people off then it is fine to start up a new one but overall I don’t think much needs to change. If some wants to talk about something other misspelling of Trumps name then they are welcome to post and move the chat threads discussion in that direction. The only time we made fun of someone trying to do that was when a permabanned poster kept trying to make us have a serious discussion about a cop who was convicted of killing someone.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Takanago posted:

since it's not like there was a "MCAFEE IS DEAD" thread.

exactly. when i woke up and theres was a "florida building front fell off" wtf do i post? i was like climate thread I guess. I rest my case mods & gentlemen

Also, while I never cared for it: it'd also make it easier to goldmine since the idea of goldmining a 800 page thread is lol.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Athanatos posted:

This is another one of those things that's weird to find the balance in a forum like this. It's also, one of the weird things about QCS that cda brought up once.

cda once said that all the people that come to QCS are use to, and expect the level of moderation from their own forum. That's what they come from, so QCS threads to one set of people are loving horrible and to others are just the normal way things goes. It's the same thing for different threads in here. Witches wanted their hangout troll free, CSPAM overall works a little different.

The witchcraft thread was open for like two days before Larry "trolled it" by saying it was a bourgeois hobby and got thrown out for a week. That is not enough time to build a culture, that was 100% just mods deciding arbitrarily that now the thread is serious business.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Takanago posted:

I checked the Internet Cum Warrior thread because I guess Mcafee was an insane person online so he'd fit there, maybe? There was some there but most of the discussion was happening in the CSPAM Chat thread. I guess I should have expected it since it was breaking news at the time but I generally don't check that thread since the style of posting in there doesn't generally seem for me. (Or maybe it is, I don't pay enough attention to it to see more than random snippets of it whenever I peek in there)

it used to be internet culture warriors. its mainly for following the adventures of twitter/youtube/etc. personalities liek crowder, tim pool, jordan peterson, praeger, dave rubin, and a lot of dumb terfs as well. basically focused on the rightwing mediasphere's internet presence and the dominant personalities who represent it

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

maybe we could use a breaking news thread with a rule that posts have a minimum amount of content that is more than misspellings of a former presidents name?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

with McAfee or the Miami building collapse, most threads I follow at least covered it. there's not always a lot to talk about though, so the discussion passes. maybe an individual thread would have been good, but there's nothing stopping people from making one.

there's an argument to be made between megathread forum vs. small individual thread forum. right now cspam is megathread heavy, and I don't know how to address that other than moving all the megathreads to a cspam subforum or another forum altogether.

LF, as i recall, was mostly small threads with a few megas. I don't know how the userbase size or general posting pace compares though.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
the reason i rail so hard for it is that small cspam thread have had some pretty good rear end results for their size. it promotes cross pollination between posters, which is important for creating content imo. Look at the nathan robinson thread. fulfilled its purpose on page 3.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Takanago posted:

The conclusion to this might just be that I'm a dumbass that doesn't know to check chat thread for misc. breaking news but I guess it would be nice if there were more room for single-purpose threads to cover specific topics.

Homeless Friend posted:

exactly. when i woke up and theres was a "florida building front fell off" wtf do i post? i was like climate thread I guess. I rest my case mods & gentlemen

Some Guy TT posted:

as someone who posts content and has to arbitrarily guess the best thread for it i would have guessed epstein but yeah it can get arcane sometimes

i do like having semispecialized threads in part because it makes me think harder about where a post should go or if it should even be posted at all

Is there a particular reason when you didn't find a thread, you didn't just make one for the topics? I mean like, OP creating effort aside, there wasn't some CSPAM rule written or unwitten that made you feel like you can't just make a thread when poo poo happens right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I don't think the Trump thread is in tune with the rest of CSPAM but I don't care because I don't read it