Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Some Guy TT posted:

hey ardennes why do you mod d and d but not cspam

im just curious because you seem pretty chill and more in step with the subculture here than the one over there

Not to get too much into it, I posted in D&D for a really long time before Cspam existed, and honestly it it too has its ebbs and flows over the years. Right now, I think the divide is about as stark as the LF-era but at the same time I am a bit of a romantic about provoking discussion regardless of the forum. Also, it may be low-key my fault for trying to merge the D&D Trump thread and the 2018-era version of USPOL in the first place...which may have had a bit of a domino effect.

As for c-spam modding, to be absolutely frank, I think it is just in a very awkward position at the moment and it is unclear what cspammers want or if what they want is workable. For example, I have nothing against Larry (just an example) but I might find myself in a position where I would need to probate him and I don't know if I quite trust cspammers not to come after me. Even if it was legitimate probation and I have my reputation or whatever but I rather not have a target on my back. I like cspam, but I think a lot of cspammers have rhetorically trapped themselves into a position where it is a very difficult to make it work.

(Btw I know the whole back history of why this is so, it is just what I see going on right now.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 03:39 on Jun 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

really queer Christmas posted:

The witchcraft thread was open for like two days before Larry "trolled it" by saying it was a bourgeois hobby and got thrown out for a week. That is not enough time to build a culture, that was 100% just mods deciding arbitrarily that now the thread is serious business.

Yeah, sorry, I reread my post and I intended it to be more of an example of "How should this thing be handled" not a retelling of that event.

My question still stands:

Is a single thread here with a certain vibe more important than the overall forum feel?

If every thread had their own IK with their own way of doing poo poo, and you got a probe for say using the letter 'k' in the "CSPAM Space Thread" because that's what they wanted, would that poo poo be beyond annoying rather than have a set of mods watching all threads and a standard set forum wide?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Athanatos posted:

Is there a particular reason when you didn't find a thread, you didn't just make one for the topics? I mean like, OP creating effort aside, there wasn't some CSPAM rule written or unwitten that made you feel like you can't just make a thread when poo poo happens right?

i personally browse cspam directly and find that new threads drop off the front page easily enough that theres often just not much point to making new ones

this isnt just a guess on my part i tried making a piss poll thread and an impeachment thread a few months back and neither one stuck despite both being fairly on brand topics

more recently the sports thread is just barely holding on and it doesnt help that baseball and basketball got their own threads not that i hold it against anyone for only wanting to talk about the sport they like and ignoring the other ones

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Athanatos posted:

Is there a particular reason when you didn't find a thread, you didn't just make one for the topics? I mean like, OP creating effort aside, there wasn't some CSPAM rule written or unwitten that made you feel like you can't just make a thread when poo poo happens right?

I think you're fundamentally looking for engagement. The way it's set up doesn't disallow it, but also doesn't facilitate it. There is also a split in how people browse purely via bookmarks vs by clicking the subforum. So, even if you don't think it, you correlate this information into that split second decision. This is how 2 people came to different conclusions on where the same event should be posted about and all 3 of us didn't choose to make a small thread.

Homeless Friend has issued a correction as of 03:41 on Jun 25, 2021

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Hi! I don't post a lot but I'm glad to see this thread since I've seen what feels like an uptick in complaints related to forums identity.

I love cspam. I visit it more consistently than any other place on the internet. My identity was shaped a great deal, for good or ill by D&D, LF, and cspam, in that order. To me, it is so many things. It's a trustworthy news aggregator (I knew about the monster heatwave on the Pacific coast before literally anyone I know). It's a place where you can gaze into the abyss and your posting bros will be right there with you exchanging glances and nodding about how totally hosed it all is. They'll also tell you to take a break when you're getting too close to the edge.

If you want to learn more about how to understand our world through the lens of leftist thought, there's a place for that. If you want to shitpost about drugs or your lunch, there a place for that too. Both of these things are political, and I'm confident that GWS doesn't want a thread about how messed up it is that the sandwich you're eating right now is subsidized with blood and human suffering.

I've never come anywhere near reading a whole thread, but I've never been treated badly when I've decided to post in one. I've often learned something useful when I have done so, in fact.

Of the things that are bad, there are only two that I struggle with. Sadly, good posters have been run off not only by lovely moderation, but by its absence. I've seen more than one person run out of the forum due to creepy harassment (I miss snoo). Also the recent influx of liberals coming in to tell us about how no everything is fine, actually, has been irritating, but seems to have been meet with the appropriate (for this space) level of derision. So I'm not sure that problem requires a solution.

Also I don't mind admitting that I've gotten quite a few laughs from encountering novel misspellings of trump long after a was sure they'd been exhausted.

Thanks for being here cspam.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i keep hearing about this larry drama but i have no idea who larry is and its not being explained in such a way that i understand the issue

i mention this only to emphasize that i really dont care about larry and i kind of doubt most of the rest of cspam does either

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Some Guy TT posted:

i keep hearing about this larry drama but i have no idea who larry is and its not being explained in such a way that i understand the issue

i mention this only to emphasize that i really dont care about larry and i kind of doubt most of the rest of cspam does either

Eh to be honest, I don't think especially that sequence of events important beyond the fact that it lead to a standoff in QCS. It was just an example.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 03:45 on Jun 25, 2021

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Not to get too much into it, I posted in D&D for a really long time before Cspam existed, and honestly it it too has its ebbs and flows over the years. Right now, I think the divide is about as stark as the LF-era but at the same time I am a bit of a romantic about provoking discussion regardless of the forum. Also, it may be low-key my fault for trying to merge the D&D Trump thread and the 2018-era version of USPOL in the first place...which may have had a bit of a domino effect.

As for c-spam modding, to be absolutely frank, I think it is just in a very awkward position at the moment but it is unclear what cspammers want or if what they want is workable. For example, I have nothing against Larry (just an example) but I might find myself in a position where I would need to probate him and I don't know if I trust cspammers not to come after me. Even if it was legitimate probation and I have my reputation or whatever but I rather not have a target on my back. I like cspam, but I think a lot of cspammers have rhetorically trapped themselves into a position where it is a very difficult to make it work.

lol gently caress larry up man. gently caress me up. gently caress em all up it's fine. obviously you might get some pushback if you ban or permaban for shaky reasons but that's a good thing right? mod sass is part of the culture here but nobody is actually going to oppose an obviously justified mod action in any way that matters. you won't have a target on your back unless you show a consistent pattern of grudge-probating, either against a person or a thread.

not sure where the perception came from that cspammers are going to "come after you". it sounds really weird from where i'm sitting. like let me just lay it out flat here: there's a narrative that started around 2017 and has grown over time that cspammers are wild animals, uncontrollable and bestial and unable to reason about what might work in the moderation of their own subforum. it's bizarre and has its origins in obscure slapfights that absolutely should not be taken into account by the actual staff of this website, which is one of the biggest reasons it is nice to have this feedback thread. it shows that you're trying to avoid preconceptions. but you clearly still have them if you sort-of still believe these tales about cspam bogeymen

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

the reason i rail so hard for it is that small cspam thread have had some pretty good rear end results for their size. it promotes cross pollination between posters, which is important for creating content imo. Look at the nathan robinson thread. fulfilled its purpose on page 3.

:yeah:

Ardennes posted:

As for c-spam modding, to be absolutely frank, I think it is just in a very awkward position at the moment but it is unclear what cspammers want or if what they want is workable. For example, I have nothing against Larry (just an example) but I might find myself in a position where I would need to probate him and I don't know if I trust cspammers not to come after me. Even if it was legitimate probation and I have my reputation or whatever but I rather not have a target on my back. I like cspam, but I think a lot of cspammers have rhetorically trapped themselves into a position where it is a very difficult to make it work.

I agree cspam is in kind of a weird state right no as to if it's the left forum for being mad online or the fyadlite where you can emptyquote "I love my same age twink son" for 20 pages, or if its the no libs allowed hangout zone, if its all 3, or what. But that said I think that as long as any mod is clear in their moderation its not going to cause anyone to flip out. the QCS started because larry's perma was so obviously bad and flavius' moderation before that was also so obviously bad. paul_soccer just ate a ban+30 for a KYS to noted drone operator and all-round dipshit baw and it's a lame overreaction for sure but people aren't up in arms because despite being (as far as I know) fairly well liked in the forum it's not that outrageous of a punishment and it comes right on the heels of Jeff getting Very Serious about goon death so I think the sentiment is that he probably should have seen that coming to an extent

anyway I really don't think it's as big of a deal as it seems as long as the mods are willing to be even slightly normal

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Jazerus posted:

i don't understand this perception at all. trump/chat/whatever thread is literally just the central hub of cspam. it's the community center where people hang out and talk about whatever, and always has been going back to the earliest days of the subforum. in a lot of ways the cspam culture was born there! i think that maybe people who post negatively about it don't realize that most of the people in the subforum have participated there, it's not some other group of people with different values who just hang out in cspam. sort of a microcosm of the SA posters throughout the site who say bad things about cspam without realizing that many of their posting pals in games or whatever also post here.
i think recent iterations of the Trump thread has gotten into this weird space where for five years it was the 'main' thread here, because he was the president and he sucked the whole of the american right into his orbit. so talking about trump was also talking about the government, and about republicans as a whole, and about right-wing media, etc. etc., which meant the thread moved at a breakneck pace and there was always a flow of more news to drive the conversation and break up the in-jokes and 'here's what i had for dinner' chat or whatever and draw in new posters.

now though Trump's out of government, so there's much less news/discussion of the man himself and less topics that are sort-of relevant to him, so the thread now has a higher % of idle chat and regulars posting a lot about food and stuff. but at the same time, he still generates news and discussion, which would traditionally go in the Trump thread, so out of inertia it still goes there even though the Trump thread is now the chat thread.

i don't have a solution to this, and i don't know if there even needs to be one, but current thread is definitely in this strange 'chat thread and labelled as such, but also thread for discussing trump and republicans' situation.

Apraxin has issued a correction as of 03:48 on Jun 25, 2021

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Athanatos posted:

Yeah, sorry, I reread my post and I intended it to be more of an example of "How should this thing be handled" not a retelling of that event.

My question still stands:

Is a single thread here with a certain vibe more important than the overall forum feel?

If every thread had their own IK with their own way of doing poo poo, and you got a probe for say using the letter 'k' in the "CSPAM Space Thread" because that's what they wanted, would that poo poo be beyond annoying rather than have a set of mods watching all threads and a standard set forum wide?

My ideal is IKs more just being the people to stop slapfights and know the thread culture and less wacky rules with the thread itself serving as the police. If a thread does want to be more serious or has a big ol NO TROLLS ALLOWED, then yes that's fair for an IK to just slap someone down. Obviously, if the thread can't police itself, then the IK steps in, and if the IK fails then a mod that hopefully is more understanding of the culture.

Some Guy TT posted:

i personally browse cspam directly and find that new threads drop off the front page easily enough that theres often just not much point to making new ones

this isnt just a guess on my part i tried making a piss poll thread and an impeachment thread a few months back and neither one stuck despite both being fairly on brand topics

more recently the sports thread is just barely holding on and it doesnt help that baseball and basketball got their own threads not that i hold it against anyone for only wanting to talk about the sport they like and ignoring the other ones

Does CSPAM really need sports threads though? Media threads make sense to me, but I visit the sports forum - politics is talked about almost constantly. It's not the focus, but it's not like it's taboo to talk politics or even focus on it in relation to sports. TFF talks about it just enough for my tastes, before going back to football. Hell, go post "Tom brady is a chud and a cheater" in TFF right now and you'll likely get 5 empty quotes.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Jazerus posted:

lol gently caress larry up man. gently caress me up. gently caress em all up it's fine. obviously you might get some pushback if you ban or permaban for shaky reasons but that's a good thing right? mod sass is part of the culture here but nobody is actually going to oppose an obviously justified mod action in any way that matters. you won't have a target on your back unless you show a consistent pattern of grudge-probating, either against a person or a thread.

not sure where the perception came from that cspammers are going to "come after you". it sounds really weird from where i'm sitting. like let me just lay it out flat here: there's a narrative that started around 2017 and has grown over time that cspammers are wild animals, uncontrollable and bestial and unable to reason about what might work in the moderation of their own subforum. it's bizarre and has its origins in obscure slapfights that absolutely should not be taken into account by the actual staff of this website, which is one of the biggest reasons it is nice to have this feedback thread. it shows that you're trying to avoid preconceptions. but you clearly still have them if you sort-of still believe these tales about cspam bogeymen

yeah holy poo poo
if the moderation staff should take anything out of this thread is that the idea that people who post in cspam are unhinged psychos that are one bad post away from buying a bunch of ammo and finding a belltower is because people in D&D with way too much time on their hands and the thinnest skins in human history got called lil homie gay rear end by someone with a NoJoe tag and have been screeching about it ever since

cspam is a fyad-lite but it's like 90% lite

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Jazerus posted:

I post here, but I am less confident about the situation. It isn't that cspammers are wild beasts or something, but lets be honest the tension have been rising for a while.

Edit:

I think it is more trying to find a workable solution is just getting more difficult. If anything I think there needs more of a consensus that yeah some modding needs to happen and may even include the occasional mistake. There are issues like for example the "r-word" that never really got resolved.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 04:02 on Jun 25, 2021

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Epic High Five made a GOP thread that sees little use
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3969117

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
a highguy:justpost: maybe I’ll edit more in later

it’s a place where you can poo poo post stream of conscious things throughout the day and with a politics twist. just like yospos with its computer touchers. somewhere you can come post while drunk or stoned and catch a sixer and it’s no big deal.

i think forum slap-fights suck, but I get that it’s fun to stir the pot for laughs. i rarely see regulars attack each other. I think the general forum rules are fine. I think it’s a popular place with a lot of posters and lurkers, so it is usually a good place to others to come in and stir something up.

I grew up on forums. it’s my social media. it’s where I like to post anonymously. :justpost: who cares

it’s the place that knows that the world is corrupt as gently caress and it’s okay to say it. you can say Biden is a doddering old fart with a brain full of holes, and posters nod.

trump was the content pipeline for cspam. the photos, the tweets, the chyrons…it was good times :chaostrump: we are just filling time until he is president again

nitecrew is always a mess.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Jazerus posted:

There is an anger that comes from people. Justified toward stupid decisions or not, it's there. It's in QCS towards people and the inboxes of Mods.

Now, the problem is, things just get labeled "cspam." When there was bad poo poo in the past it was like "cspam is posting porn." "CSPAM is posting death threats." When...it's not CSPAM, it's select morons that happen to be in CSPAM. So then it becomes a cycle, where someone goes "CSPAM is doing XXX" and someone shows up to defend this place and gets mad and it just goes round and round.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Athanatos posted:

Small sample size I understand, but will ask now so future people who contribute can answer too:

XXX Topic threads can feel like chat threads, and sometimes wane away from the topic, but are mostly focused and come back, where as "chat threads" here are just random bullshit.

Seems to be...almost an animosity towards straight "chat threads." That about right?

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

I can't blame anyone for wanting a chat thread with their posting pals but every time I hear about weird or bad poo poo coming from cspam it seems to be from a chat or near enough thread. maybe this is incorrect but it seems like a common perception.

I'd like to go back to this, and reiterate what Pentecoastal Elites is saying here.

The problem with chat threads isn't CSPAM related, it's a known issue with chat threads forum-wide and it's why CCCC exists. They have a tendency to get weird and diverge from the wider subforum culture they're in, and end up just being weird and incomprehensible to anyone but the regulars.

That isn't to say that a chat thread will automatically turn into this, it absolutely is not a foregone conclusion, but once a critical mass of posters exists in a chat thread who only post in the chat thread and nowhere else in the subforum, then it's inevitable.

That's what the Trump thread eventually got to, and why so many people came out of the woodwork to defend it. The thread literally was CSPAM to them, and so closing it down was basically closing down their forum.

That's why picking mods out of any chat thread is a bad idea. Sure a chat thread is the one that generates the most posts by volume, but it's also the one that's most likely to diverge from the wider subforum culture, so it's easiest to get a mod that's out of step.

I don't think there's a problem now, but it's something that moderators here need to watch for, and anyone selecting mods needs to understand.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ardennes posted:

I post here, but I am less confident about the situation. It isn't that cspammers are wild beasts or something, but lets be honest the tension have been rising for a while.

Also, I think your last sentence illustrates the issue. I don't think cspammers are bogeymen, but at the same time, who really wants to mod a forum where you are called a cop for giving a sixer. I am certainly on the more laid-back side as mods go but yeah, the mods = cops and among other things kind of burned some bridges.

probably someone from cspam who gets that it's a game. y'know? it's a joke that references our shared cultural experience of having bad mods. we actually tend to like capricious 6ers for bizarre comedy reasons, as well as 6ers for people who are posting badly. moderation in cspam should be loose but tight

like one of the formative cultural events for cspam was mass rebellion against boosted and his tedious rules for the trump thread, and we don't reserve ourselves from calling out bad moderation as a result of that and a lot of other subsequent events such as lowtax banning people from here on stream. but that doesn't mean that good moderation is actually unwelcome, or that a little bit of ribbing about "mod tyranny" actually constitutes a dislike of your actions.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
I like C-Spam a lot because i feel a strong connection to other cspam posters in that we shared a constant collective aneurism for 4.5 years watching our government be run by a criminally insane gameshow host and no one on TV would say it out loud. I've been in the trump thread since before it was called that. Seeing radical left politics embraced so openly and without reprimand opened my perspective on everything and posting along side so many lgbtq cspammers got me to listen and see what i had in common with them and long story short I'm a pretty girl and i owe that to cspam. Cspam is super great 100%

poo poo posting here is therapeutic

Its called cspam cause politics was so loving stupid that simply posting a headline like "donald trump announces presidential campaign" was the funniest thing in the universe when it happened because how could anyone write a post or make a meme even 1/100th as funny as Donald trump runs for president and why even try just empty quote it. And then our brains broke.

StrugglingHoneybun has issued a correction as of 04:17 on Jun 25, 2021

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

is because people in D&D with way too much time on their hands and the thinnest skins in human history got called lil homie gay rear end by someone with a NoJoe tag and have been screeching about it ever since

yeah...don't do this.

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

Ardennes posted:

Also, I think your last sentence illustrates the issue. I don't think cspammers are bogeymen, but at the same time, who really wants to mod a forum where you are called a cop for giving a sixer. I am certainly on the more laid-back side as mods go but yeah, the mods = cops and among other things kind of burned some bridges.

I can be wrong but I don’t think anyone is seriously mad about a mod giving out sixers.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

I like C-Spam a lot because i feel a strong connection to other cspam posters in that we shared a constant collective aneurism for 4.5 years watching our government be run by a criminally insane gameshow host and no one on TV would say it out loud. I've been in the trump thread since before it was called that. Seeing radical left politics embraced so openly and without reprimand opened my perspective on everything and posting along side so many lgbtq cspammers got me to listen and see what i had in common with them and long story short I'm a pretty girl and i owe that to cspam. Cspam is super great 100%

poo poo posting here is therapeutic.

i think you texted me for advice once so i am glad i could help lol

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

VideoKid posted:

I can be wrong but I don’t think anyone is seriously mad about a mod giving out sixers.

There is a (mostly a joke) warning in the little mod intro thing you get that warns you people will get the most mad at you over 6ers, and in my years of being here, it's true.

Don't know what it is, but people get pissed. Sometimes even for a joke 6er.

You can drop 3 days on someone and not hear a peep, but a "chill out" 6er you'll hear about.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

cumshitter once just nuked a page. probated everybody on it. it ruled and everyone had a good time with his "IK tyranny". cspam is fundamentally here for the fun of it all and a sense of fun in the moderation was something we had a lot of in the beginning

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Jazerus posted:

probably someone from cspam who gets that it's a game. y'know? it's a joke that references our shared cultural experience of having bad mods. we actually tend to like capricious 6ers for bizarre comedy reasons, as well as 6ers for people who are posting badly. moderation in cspam should be loose but tight

like one of the formative cultural events for cspam was mass rebellion against boosted and his tedious rules for the trump thread, and we don't reserve ourselves from calling out bad moderation as a result of that and a lot of other subsequent events such as lowtax banning people from here on stream. but that doesn't mean that good moderation is actually unwelcome, or that a little bit of ribbing about "mod tyranny" actually constitutes a dislike of your actions.

I mean every joke has a little bit of the truth in it? I understand the history of what’s going on, the question of how the bridge that gap in trust that exists at the moment.

I would hope good modding would be enough but there is also QCS issues that often don’t even really involved CSpam mods but often involve mention of the sub forum anyway.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 04:38 on Jun 25, 2021

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Athanatos posted:

well, it certainly doesn't feel like it's illegal to make new threads here if thats what you're asking. but also I know that I'm not anywhere near online enough to be the first person to want to talk about any news story around here. I know people have to be talking about it somewhere, and often it feels like when some breaking news hits you'll usually have different chat/megathreads talking about it simultaneously. maybe I'm wrong on that since I generally don't keep up with all the threads here but that's my impression.

if I made a thread about some misc. breaking news topic I feel like the end result would probably be to spread the conversation out further rather than actually centralizing it. or maybe that's me making an excuse since in all my years posting on and reading these I think I have made a new thread like once or maybe twice

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ardennes posted:

I mean every joke has a little bit of the truth in it? I understand the history of what’s going on, the question of how the bridge that gap in trust that exists at the moment.

I would hope good modding would be enough but there is also QCS issues that often don’t even really involved CSpam mods.

well...stop distrusting us. there's nothing we can really do as a community to alter your perception of us unless trust is extended. from my perspective, the distrust is basically unearned and the result of all of the forums conflicts that arose in the chaos of lowtax melting down repeatedly and making stupid decisions. we said bad things about bad mods, admins, and owners that are by and large no longer mods, admins, or owners for reasons everyone knows. why is this scary?

and no, sometimes a joke is just a joke. idk anything about angry PMs but i would feel confident in saying that anybody here would make fun of somebody raging over a 6er unless there was a really major event going on and the probe was bullshit; public "feedback" like somebody posting "mods are cops" after you dish out a probe is rarely ever serious, and if it is, you'll know quickly because people will start posting actual effortposts about the issue instead of just shitposts.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
people get mad about 6ers because it's hard to tell when it's a joke or when it's the beginning of Big Boy Mod making his presence felt, or even if it's just literally a 6 hour probation.

personally I do not enjoy joke probations, but my account is old enough that I remember the 'wow 3 probations in 3 days? here's a ban' times.

anyway. lmao at the idea of being afraid to probate me. i do deserve it, occasionally. just maybe don't probate me for implying your a pedophile and then defend someone posting loli porn later that week and you'll be fine.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Athanatos posted:

The "just stop 'doomposting' so much" is not just a CSPAM thing. Sports posters absolutely hate their teams and say things like "welp season over, trash team" when their team is in first place. TVIV has the same thing with hate watching. I could go on and on.

Figuring out if or when to moderate that poo poo is the hard part. I don't have an answer for that. I mean, really the answer is "context matters" and sometimes when people have nothing worth a poo poo to add other than being Eeyore, maybe it's time to move them on from the thread. Like Larry's quote there, it can be an addiction for some people.

But really, it has to do with the vibe of a thread. If a community is fine with that in their space, then that's what the thread is. At some point the majority rules and the community makes itself what it wants to be.

Hatewatching in TVIV was by far the best thing about TVIV and i'm not alone in thinking that. Dexter, Sons Of Anarchy, Terra Nova, The Walking Dead etc

And the climate change thread, is the doom over the top? maybe. but myself and others like that. It's good to have a place that acknowledges the worst case scenario where pretty much everywhere else including real life is literally 'things don't look that bad yet'

My point? everyone likes different things and I have no idea why anyone would want to remove any of the current threads. I don't read the Doomsday Economics or Dems thread, do I want them removed because of that? no. The Glenn thread is full of bickering and arguing anytime I check which is not really my thing but do I want it gone? no, others enjoy it.

Also it's painfully obvious that many of the people who have issues with the trump/chat thread don't actually read it, which is fine but then why would you want it removed? if anything removing it would make the forum worse for you as all the shitposts would spread out into your 'good threads'

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

To understand CSPAM is basically to understand that there are three or four distinct CSPAMs. This isn't really a problem in my opinion, but failing to understand that, particularly when attempting to moderate, is.

Part of the difficulty here is that people, including and especially moderators here, fall into seeing their corner of CSPAM as if it were the whole thing. We're all in cloisters and we might occasionally pass by a window. That's not even a judgment on any given mod. There is no way in hell anyone could keep up with every thread, and that means in this case not really being familiar with a significant number of posters or the context in which they post, and when you're expected to moderate those people, well, we've seen how it can go wrong.

What's the solution? hosed if I know, though leaning on IKs to keep things in order seems to be halfway working.

And, not for nothing, I get not wanting people taking cheap shots at D&D or wherever, but we're gonna have to talk about CSPAM's difficult relationship with other forums on SA sooner or later. If it needs to be later, that's cool but the problems there are real, they're not just limited to a few bad eggs (on whichever side) and they will not go away on their own. And I don't know what the solution is there either, but not talking about it isn't it. And that conversation needs to be at least as candid as the rest of this.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Hatebag posted:

Any time mods try to change a forum they just make it worse. Just probe people who are pricks or bigots. If there's a thread you don't like, just don't look at it. Maybe they're in there posting pictures of cats and sandwiches communistically. Who cares?

agreed 100%

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

I think cspam is currently in as good of a place as you can expect it to be for the moment. I think a lot of people secretly miss trump for the comedy and find biden to be a downer since he breeds complacency in some who are on the left, so there's a tendency for us to lash out at people who are soft on the Democrats even a little bit. And there's also a problem where people from other forums poke the beehive, cause cspammers to lash out, and then that reinforces the narrative that we're all a little bit nuts.

I feel like right now we are a functioning autonomous zone despite how much we hate anarchists here

Yossarian-22 has issued a correction as of 09:01 on Jun 25, 2021

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

docbeard posted:

And, not for nothing, I get not wanting people taking cheap shots at D&D or wherever, but we're gonna have to talk about CSPAM's difficult relationship with other forums on SA sooner or later. If it needs to be later, that's cool but the problems there are real, they're not just limited to a few bad eggs (on whichever side) and they will not go away on their own. And I don't know what the solution is there either, but not talking about it isn't it. And that conversation needs to be at least as candid as the rest of this.

Yeah, this is another one of the bigger issues. There tends to be a LOT of Us vs Them that comes from "cspam." (I mean it was in this thread even, and there are reports for it right now in the queue)

It very rarely stops at quotes and callouts, and I fully understand why people report it when it happens. Some of the horrifying poo poo people have been sent in PMs because they had some dumb opinion in D&D can be a little much.

Edit: Again, "CSPAM" is in quotes here, because it's not the entire forum doing it. But it happens here, so the label gets applied.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Jazerus posted:

well...stop distrusting us. there's nothing we can really do as a community to alter your perception of us unless trust is extended. from my perspective, the distrust is basically unearned and the result of all of the forums conflicts that arose in the chaos of lowtax melting down repeatedly and making stupid decisions. we said bad things about bad mods, admins, and owners that are by and large no longer mods, admins, or owners for reasons everyone knows. why is this scary?

and no, sometimes a joke is just a joke. idk anything about angry PMs but i would feel confident in saying that anybody here would make fun of somebody raging over a 6er unless there was a really major event going on and the probe was bullshit; public "feedback" like somebody posting "mods are cops" after you dish out a probe is rarely ever serious, and if it is, you'll know quickly because people will start posting actual effortposts about the issue instead of just shitposts.

It really isn’t even a voluntary thing that CSpam has failed on or something but it is more I would rather at least find a way to let some of the bad blood that developed to drain a little bit. Also, I think developing trust is a two way street and some of that isn’t just making good mod calls but more fully developing durable trust from the mod side.

Btw I feel like I might be a bit dismissive with CSpam’s current mods but I actually I think CSpam is doing okay over all despite what I have been talking about.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Ardennes posted:

I would hope good modding would be enough but there is also QCS issues that often don’t even really involved CSpam mods but often involve mention of the sun forum anyway.

Good modding will be enough, eventually.

But before then, whoever gets buttons here has got to understand that due to the actions of previous mods, they're not starting off with a whole lotta trust. And so part of building that trust is gonna be users busting their chops about mod tyranny and whatnot when they use those buttons.

Just start doing things right, don't be a whiny baby when someone makes a joke, and if someone points out that a bad call was made, don't reflexively double down on it. Listen and try to understand the concern.

Really can't stress that last part enough.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Serious question since I'm not up on forums drama and yet post itt for some reason: it seems to me like CSPAM vs "other forum" is basically just a rivalry with D&D (which frequently gets stupid but is probably to be expected) and some people holding a grudge against FYAD. Is there some huge forum raid of like TVIV I missed?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Hello, I am tokin opposition, obvious rereg of Known Poster T-man. In January I auto-banned with a message about no longer having fun on c-spam. I took a few months entirely off the forums, and eventually came back because I missed the community here. In retrospect I wish I just requested a three monther and didn't close my threads like an rear end in a top hat but wygd. Taking a break from c-spam has let me come back with a much more relaxed attitude about things, and start to appreciate good posters I disliked for long irrelevant posting war grudges. Plus I'm in a better place in my life generally, which is something I wish for everyone here.

What I like about c-spam is it's mix between low effort posts and actual sincere effortposts. I, like most people here, started out in D&D, which is great for a serious discussion when you feel like it's an honest exchange of ideas, but absolute dogshit moderation and ideological differences eventually made it no longer fun for me. C-spam to me is at it's best when it's a fun place to talk with your friends in one thread, a place to have serious discussions about topics from a leftist bent, and a place to yell at your ideological enemies with the understanding that it doesn't really matter. We don't need an overarching C-spam community, and no matter how long this thread is open we won't hear from every microniche here.

As to the question of chat threads: I don't really follow any of the really big ones, basically where I post is where I read with a few exceptions. I think we need smaller threads, and threads that can branch out. If there's a good derail people like, it should be more acceptable to spin it out into a new thread. I started the weed thread because c-spam loves talking about it's weed, and it seems to me that the thread has slowed the number of derails in that direction. But I'm a weirdo with no real idea of what's going to stick around and become popular and what's going to die in 3 pages. (RIP onion thread) If everyone who gives a poo poo about c-spam enough to post in this thread threw out their own ideas for new threads survival of the fittest should get us three or four good ones.

Iunno I'm bored now. The takeaway is that i will never log off.

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

Athanatos posted:

There is a (mostly a joke) warning in the little mod intro thing you get that warns you people will get the most mad at you over 6ers, and in my years of being here, it's true.

Don't know what it is, but people get pissed. Sometimes even for a joke 6er.

You can drop 3 days on someone and not hear a peep, but a "chill out" 6er you'll hear about.
I believe you but that is the dumbest thing I’ve heard all day. It’s impressive that anyone wants to moderate this site.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Azathoth posted:

Good modding will be enough, eventually.

But before then, whoever gets buttons here has got to understand that due to the actions of previous mods, they're not starting off with a whole lotta trust. And so part of building that trust is gonna be users busting their chops about mod tyranny and whatnot when they use those buttons.

Just start doing things right, don't be a whiny baby when someone makes a joke, and if someone points out that a bad call was made, don't reflexively double down on it. Listen and try to understand the concern.

Really can't stress that last part enough.

ive been trying to be more a "if someone actually fucks up, message them instead" type IK. i hate using buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Yossarian-22 posted:

I feel like right now we are a functioning autonomous zone despite how much we hate anarchists here

docbeard posted:

To understand CSPAM is basically to understand that there are three or four distinct CSPAMs. This isn't really a problem in my opinion, but failing to understand that, particularly when attempting to moderate, is.

I think the anarchist vs. MLM/tankie/communist discourse is a good example of this in action. There's more than a few anarchists on here, including myself. Admittedly I only see Yossarian-22 post in the marxist thread, for which their statement is actually pretty accurate to the marxism thread and a few others.