Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

Pamela Springstein posted:

the thing about chat threads is that, while not everyone enjoys them, the people posting in them generally do. killing a chat thread means that that group of posters arent able to hang out anymore. I don't see how that benefits anyone.

was posting triumpo the height of comedy? no. but who cares. make a new thread to seriously discuss him. the trump thread was not harming anyone except for people who decided it wasnt funny and had to go.

covid thread is the other one. some people like posting the latest news, some like posting about getting the shot and feeling tired, some like posting about their pets, or just like posting with their pals. I don't think this has prevented any important discussions from taking place. if you want to post about covid it's still the place to go.

you could move them to chat crew central but it's not like they're harming anyone by being here.

I agree with you. I mostly post in the chat thread because it’s a fun way to pass the time while I’m at work. My job has the always has news on the work TV so I like having a place where I can talk about what’s happening in the world with a relaxed atmosphere. I known the memes/ in jokes might put some people off but overall I think we are really nice to any new posters.
I also agree with what some plague rats said. I think Cspam is at its heart a funny politics forum and if you want to have a serious discussion about your hobby there are other places on SA to do that. I think I’m general people should be enough to visit different parts of the forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

Ardennes posted:

Granted, is the current chat thread a big deal beyond it has its own thread culture that a bit out of step with Cspam? (That said, it was perhaps time it was relabeled considered how far is strayed.)

Yeah, I don't know how you would break up the COVID/Climate Change/Doomsday Economics/Marxism etc threads either since they are usually on topic. They just cover fairly broad topics that posters are interested in.

I honestly don’t think the chat thread is that out of step with the rest of cspam. If you think the high page count is tuning people off then it is fine to start up a new one but overall I don’t think much needs to change. If some wants to talk about something other misspelling of Trumps name then they are welcome to post and move the chat threads discussion in that direction. The only time we made fun of someone trying to do that was when a permabanned poster kept trying to make us have a serious discussion about a cop who was convicted of killing someone.

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

maybe we could use a breaking news thread with a rule that posts have a minimum amount of content that is more than misspellings of a former presidents name?

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

Ardennes posted:

I post here, but I am less confident about the situation. It isn't that cspammers are wild beasts or something, but lets be honest the tension have been rising for a while.

Also, I think your last sentence illustrates the issue. I don't think cspammers are bogeymen, but at the same time, who really wants to mod a forum where you are called a cop for giving a sixer. I am certainly on the more laid-back side as mods go but yeah, the mods = cops and among other things kind of burned some bridges.

I can be wrong but I don’t think anyone is seriously mad about a mod giving out sixers.

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

Athanatos posted:

There is a (mostly a joke) warning in the little mod intro thing you get that warns you people will get the most mad at you over 6ers, and in my years of being here, it's true.

Don't know what it is, but people get pissed. Sometimes even for a joke 6er.

You can drop 3 days on someone and not hear a peep, but a "chill out" 6er you'll hear about.
I believe you but that is the dumbest thing I’ve heard all day. It’s impressive that anyone wants to moderate this site.

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

Korean Boomhauer posted:

i mean yeah your unscientific approach isnt great because if someones posting in one thread alot they're not posting elsewhere. it doesnt mean that the other 90% of that thread isnt posting or reading elsewhere.

I read a lot of other threads on here but I don’t post a lot because I rarely have something to contribute. I don’t think doing a statistical analysis of who posts where is helpful.

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

Good Citizen posted:

the beefers thing is really really dumb but for some reason it makes the most pedantic ‘i wanna talk to the forums managers’ poster extra hella mad so it just about evens out

yea it’s really funny watching people get mad about something so stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

Oh Snapple! posted:

nothing is gained by sourcing them. consider unsourced as the 'lite' part of fyad-lite.

like this is peak dumbass succ zoner thing in having a good thing going and then trying to push it further for absolutely 0 gain

I think sourcing quotes from other places on this forum leads to way more drama than comedy. I only read the democrats/ liberals thread sporadically but I think it’s fine the way it is.