Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
you can thank tim apple, apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Harton posted:

it wouldn’t let me put an exclamation point after Beefy! though
You also can't put accents or umlauts in thread titles. That's forum-side, though.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Thanks for doing this thread, I think it's been very useful, and despite my misgivings about how the staff have handled CSPAM issues in the past I think this thread is a great show of good faith and a necessary step in the right direction.
:same:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Paolomania posted:

I have been a sporadic poster on the SA alternative serious posting forums since LF. To me the value of C-SPAM is that it is more of a melee than D&D and this results in different (and IMO more enlightening) discourse. People may call it "leftist" but that is more of a result of the discourse than the raison d'etre. It is what happens when you allow people to smash the civil-yet-garbage argumentation that goes on in D&D - the legalistic derails over minutiae, the goal post runarounds, the appeals to authority (in terms of media and public officials), and all the other intentional and unintentional fallacies that can masquerade as rational interrogation in a reasonable tone. Not that people don't refute that stuff in D&D, but with no control on the civil garbage-posting it just goes around and around ... and around. When you are allowed to say "gently caress that and gently caress you" along with your refutation, and enough people agree, you can run off the worst posters (or at least get them to stop it with specific lovely arguments). And lo and behold reality does not have a liberal bias, but somehow a bias towards analysis based on the material world.
This encapsulates the appeal of C-SPAM to me as well. You don't need to write a loving dissertation to express a simple opinion. You don't need to do a point-by-point rebuttal to call out bullshit. Surprisingly, that can lead to actually lively debate that delivers insights at a pace that tedious D&D-style discussion can only dream of. And yes, it allows you to call bullshit for what it is and is efficient in culling bad posters.

Chat thread is its own beast though where bad posters just can float in the sea of posts. That's never been a problem for me. Scrolling past unfunny posts is a matter of less than a second. The last couple of times I poked my head in there, I found it too thin on actual news to make fun of and fairly navel-gazing, but that might just be a coincidence of timing. And even if it's not for me in its current form, I say let them post their Tmurps and Poofers.

Schnorkles posted:

c-spam at one point was incredibly politically welcoming as long as you were funny or at least a good source of amusement for the group.

ffs we nearly made boosted a mod
This is another post that stuck out to me. It's true that there was a far wider range of political beliefs represented. But it's been over four years since C-SPAM's inception as an open rules-lite election subforum and the heady days of the dual fishmech/Boosted IKship. The culling of bad posters and bad opinions talked above simply has taken place over the years. That's just a function of time.

I think C-SPAM still can be/is welcoming "as long as you are funny or at least a good source of amusement for the group" (within certain bounds). The issue is more that you have to have the guts to stomach the inital "gently caress that and gently caress you"s and few people have the same willingness to stick around as drunk Canadian survivalist-cosplaying ex-sewer inspectors.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Happy Thread posted:

the major themed CSPAM threads (Epstein/COVID/Climate/Doomsday)
:raise:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Mr. Lobe posted:

I feel like the pics thread is about the same as it's ever been, and thats probably my favorite individual thread to follow
It's a good thread that almost never causes trouble.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

smarxist posted:

I think it's really weird and foolish to try and either navigate towards, or pine for, the energy that existed here under completely different circumstances/material conditions, 4 years or even 2 years ago. Posters are always going to cycle through and move on to other poo poo, some come back, some don't, new people take their place (generally in a diminishing returns way)

The focus should be on making what and who is still here as good as it can be, ameliorating tensions between disparate groups and what they consider to be "good posting" (just stay the gently caress away from each other tbqh), because it's wholly subjective and stupid as gently caress to argue the medium instead of just having a conversation about a current event, political news, social phenomenon, a hobby or whatever else we catch in the nets here.

CSPAM is still pretty great despite a lot of the strife and it's more of a "greater than the sum of its parts" type of thing than it is a laser focused, orderly experience with predictable content and quantifiable rulesets rigorously enforced. I post in a lot of different threads, and read a lot more even if I don't feel the need to participate, and I still pick up a lot of interesting knowledge from people sharing their experiences in ways that aren't possible in more rigidly structured posting environments centered on one topic.

So tl;dr just get some reliable, neutral queue janitors to hand time outs to the most aggressive/toxic people, and let the board continue doing what it does.
Another post I will co-sign.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Someone who doesn't have the Democrats and the Eurasia threads (just the first two that came to my mind) on the radar when talking about "main themed thread" has no leg to stand on talking authoritatively about "forums culture".

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Epic High Five posted:

it was because they dont actually want to debate or argue about anywhere where there is no manager to cry to and there are shitloads of places on the internet that cater to that they so all left
Oh, that's definitely a big part of it and sort of subsumed under "have the guts to stomach the inital "gently caress that and gently caress you"s".

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Office Pig posted:

why are you like this happy thread

why is your name happy thread
Now wait until hear what their previous username was! :v:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Office Pig posted:

why would you name yourself after a thread you made
Would you want to continue running around as Dumb Lowtax?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Schnorkles posted:

a failure of posting unmatched in its stupidity
"boosted wear the hat" was just the first fail aids cspam catchphrase
:goonsay:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
my cricket knowledge remains limited to that there's a wicket, that it's an innings and

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Yinlock posted:

My only real complaints nowadays are the strange desire to have every thread properly sorted with Proper Thread Titles Formats using [Brackets] and such rather than letting things grow organically,
That's not supposed to be a thing anymore and hasn't been for a while. It's mostly just leftover from the initial change which iirc was mostly a single star-haver's idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Yeah, I don't disagree that it makes identifying which thread is which easier, it's just that no one is going around to give every thread some sort of descriptor right now.