Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

C-SPAM is the only left-ish space online that you can talk leftist politics in that's not jam packed to the rafters with absolute hooting maniacs, boring as gently caress, or both in equal measure. Not to say it can't use any improvement but it's pretty good, and that is miles and miles ahead of any similar thing you can find online.

I agree with Larry in that one of the issues with the forum is that there's no clear purpose. Ostensibly it's the politics shitposting forum but for reasons I think have been talked about enough (in QCS most recently) that doesn't really work without having a politics effortposting forum that's not ideologically captured, so its become the de facto leftist forum. I don't really think this is a bad thing, but I do think it sort of locks D&D in to being the liberal space and C-SPAM the leftist one. Don't know how to rectify this though.

One of the weirder things about C-SPAM as a community though is that it's fractured into like an ambient C-SPAM community and then specific-thread posters. The former is, IMO, really great and is the reason why I participate in threads here that don't really have too much of a political context (fitness, weed, etc). Lots of posters that know a ton of theory and history, or have really interesting and unique viewpoints that you can't really get anywhere else, or people that are just incredibly funny. joepinetree, cpt. obvious, lib and let die, pener, larry, homeless friend, yossarian, raskolinkov, tokin opposition etc. etc. -- there are tons and I could keep going but I never ever remember usernames and I was able to pull these off the top of my head due to them being consistently very insightful or very funny (and often both) posting in a bunch of different threads on a bunch of different topics. C-SPAM doesn't need a fitness thread but it's always fun to see eg. Alobar get hype, and I think that speaks to the strength of the subforum and for-real feelings of solidarity and community between its posters.

C-SPAM chat threads, though, seem to harbor a really weird culture and it seems like all of the bad posts and mods/IKs come from those. I don't know what drives someone to post TROUMP every six minutes and don't participate in them so I have no idea as to why and how that happens. Breaking up megathreads/chat threads seems like a good idea, IMO, but your guess is as good as mine. Anyway I don't think they're very good.

Post-flavius I think C-SPAM modding has been generally good in as much as I don't see a ton of it and the threads are allowed to react how they will to people eg. posting weird poo poo (goof on them incessantly until they get huffy and leave), and usually only probing when people spam or are especially unfunny. This isn't a really deep analysis though this is just what I've been seeing recently. I guess I'd like to see more regular moderation feedback threads that, you know, actually get listened to. I think an ideal C-SPAM would have a few chill mods who get the spirit of the forum and (relatively) lots more IKs to basically just monitor the threads they like to post in to make sure nobody's going feral, but who can also be recalled easily.

I too would like to see more threads in general even if they are low traffic and slow. The Cybernetics thread is a good example where it's 100% (as SPR said IIRC) an indoor boy nerd thread but is probably the only place in the world that has both information about, and jokes on, communist cybernetics. Same with the Marxism (also good) thread: mostly jokes and kind of chat thread-y, but can turn back into serious effortposts about theory at the drop of a hat which is very good, to me. I think it'd be good for the mods to encourage making more threads like this in general, really. C-SPAM should live up to its FYAD-lite DNA w/r/t threads. C-SPAM threadsday would be a good idea, or just any sort of community involvement in making threads and looking at the forum index.

I took a bunch of allergy meds and am about to fall asleep so this post probably sucks rear end, but here u go.

e: a bunch of posts got posted as I was writing that largely say what I tried to, which is a clear indication that our Posting Nen is fully synced and incredibly pure

Pentecoastal Elites has issued a correction as of 00:59 on Jun 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I can't blame anyone for wanting a chat thread with their posting pals but every time I hear about weird or bad poo poo coming from cspam it seems to be from a chat or near enough thread. maybe this is incorrect but it seems like a common perception.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I mean if that’s the way it works now I think it’s okay overall. I can’t speak to the chat threads but after Flavius the threads I post in have been going pretty well.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

the reason i rail so hard for it is that small cspam thread have had some pretty good rear end results for their size. it promotes cross pollination between posters, which is important for creating content imo. Look at the nathan robinson thread. fulfilled its purpose on page 3.

:yeah:

Ardennes posted:

As for c-spam modding, to be absolutely frank, I think it is just in a very awkward position at the moment but it is unclear what cspammers want or if what they want is workable. For example, I have nothing against Larry (just an example) but I might find myself in a position where I would need to probate him and I don't know if I trust cspammers not to come after me. Even if it was legitimate probation and I have my reputation or whatever but I rather not have a target on my back. I like cspam, but I think a lot of cspammers have rhetorically trapped themselves into a position where it is a very difficult to make it work.

I agree cspam is in kind of a weird state right no as to if it's the left forum for being mad online or the fyadlite where you can emptyquote "I love my same age twink son" for 20 pages, or if its the no libs allowed hangout zone, if its all 3, or what. But that said I think that as long as any mod is clear in their moderation its not going to cause anyone to flip out. the QCS started because larry's perma was so obviously bad and flavius' moderation before that was also so obviously bad. paul_soccer just ate a ban+30 for a KYS to noted drone operator and all-round dipshit baw and it's a lame overreaction for sure but people aren't up in arms because despite being (as far as I know) fairly well liked in the forum it's not that outrageous of a punishment and it comes right on the heels of Jeff getting Very Serious about goon death so I think the sentiment is that he probably should have seen that coming to an extent

anyway I really don't think it's as big of a deal as it seems as long as the mods are willing to be even slightly normal

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Jazerus posted:

lol gently caress larry up man. gently caress me up. gently caress em all up it's fine. obviously you might get some pushback if you ban or permaban for shaky reasons but that's a good thing right? mod sass is part of the culture here but nobody is actually going to oppose an obviously justified mod action in any way that matters. you won't have a target on your back unless you show a consistent pattern of grudge-probating, either against a person or a thread.

not sure where the perception came from that cspammers are going to "come after you". it sounds really weird from where i'm sitting. like let me just lay it out flat here: there's a narrative that started around 2017 and has grown over time that cspammers are wild animals, uncontrollable and bestial and unable to reason about what might work in the moderation of their own subforum. it's bizarre and has its origins in obscure slapfights that absolutely should not be taken into account by the actual staff of this website, which is one of the biggest reasons it is nice to have this feedback thread. it shows that you're trying to avoid preconceptions. but you clearly still have them if you sort-of still believe these tales about cspam bogeymen

yeah holy poo poo
if the moderation staff should take anything out of this thread is that the idea that people who post in cspam are unhinged psychos that are one bad post away from buying a bunch of ammo and finding a belltower is because people in D&D with way too much time on their hands and the thinnest skins in human history got called lil homie gay rear end by someone with a NoJoe tag and have been screeching about it ever since

cspam is a fyad-lite but it's like 90% lite

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Reading a lot of these replies has softened me on the chat threads because it's very obvious people like and care about them but at the same time its from posters I've never seen before, which kind of sucks because they'd be welcome everywhere else in cspam, too

I think some sort of structural incentive to post and make threads outside of their chat thread would help integrate the community and ideally cross-pollinate enough to dissipate some of the insular weirdness that chat threads can get. Maybe just the mods/IKs related to the chat threads encouraging people to make threads or post in related threads as chat moves in certain directions would be enough.

Even goofy stuff like a thread lottery would be cool. Stuff like that is small and dumb but I think legitimately fosters a good environment and positive interaction.

Athanatos posted:

yeah...don't do this.

Well, sorry I worded it that way I guess, but cspam is absolutely treated as a den of violent maniacs lusting for death and/or fully blackpilled nihilist doomers itching to go on forum invasions and doxx wrongthinkers.
If it's outside the scope of the thread I won't bring it up again or talk about why this is, but I sincerely hope that in reading this thread you guys recognize that it's not only harmless, but one of, if not the best internet left community out there and full of people who are engaged with and emotionally invested in it

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I don't mean to suggest there aren't any -- a lot of people in CSPAM post everywhere, which includes the chat threads. I'm just remarking on how ITT or dipping into a chat thread I see names there that I don't see elsewhere, or at the very least in the smaller threads, and I think people should be encouraged to post everywhere

Jazerus posted:

i also want to address my least favorite phrase of all time wrt cspam - "posting is praxis". i see people bring this up in qcs threads all the time as though it is an Official Tenet of CSPAM and like...what the gently caress??? it's literally a joke not a statement of reality. nobody thinks their posts are advancing their political goals lol. even a few people in this thread have referenced it as though it's something real.

yeah I loving hate the posting is praxis poo poo that gets leveled at cspam. honest to god not only would I bet good money on having the highest real life organizer to pure poster ratio, there's not an online political space of any alignment that's not more acutely aware that making da posts isn't actually doing anything than cspam.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

e: we posted at the same time Athanatos so let me pare down my post:

if it's a big legitimate problem either come down hard on poop-touching of any sort or just outright ban talking about other forums. I think the latter is over the top, especially if it's only coming from a particular thread. The Dems thread sticks to posting unsourced quotes and seems to be causing no issues outside of the people who hate-read it looking for their posts. We can't, however, have any idea about what is actually happening without mod staff letting us know.

I mean FYAD can run goonlulz threads without becoming loving weirdos about it so if it's predominantly coming from eg. the Climate Change thread that's probably representative of an issue with that specific thread, which ties back into the megathread culture talk. If it's coming from one thread that thread should probably be broken up or retooled because I don't think anyone wants that and it's probably a sign of a weird insular posting environment. If it's coming from a handful of users they should be punished for it, full stop, and I don't think that would be any different if it they were posting in any other subforum.

if it's a more global problem and we can't really handle it maybe it's time to make it a rule, but I'd like to know more about where it's coming from and if these posters catch and punishment for it

Pentecoastal Elites has issued a correction as of 20:29 on Jun 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

before this thread closes I want to say thank you to Ath and Shine for giving a poo poo and trying to figure out what's up instead of just throwing a few new mods at the forum and calling it a day

cspam has been pretty good lately and IMO that's largely due to a light mod touch.

my only critical request is to please change the forum alt text though the one we have now is really bad.