Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
I dont post that much here but I read the threads here frequently. (I almost said I read the threads here a lot but then I realized I probably spend a lot less time here than the frequent posters and regulars.) The thread I read most frequently here is the CSPAM Pictures thread because I like pictures, and also it's more of a "post content here" thread than a chat thread. Usually.

Sometimes it can be hard to find where discussion about a particular topic is happening if it doesn't fit any of the big megathreads. Recently it took me a little while to figure out where discussion was happening about John Mcafee's death when that was breaking. I figured it was a pretty CSPAM topic so I figured there would be lots of talk about it. But I couldn't figure out where at first, since it's not like there was a "MCAFEE IS DEAD" thread. (It's the subtitle of cspam chat now, but iirc it wasn't then.) I checked the Internet Cum Warrior thread because I guess Mcafee was an insane person online so he'd fit there, maybe? There was some there but most of the discussion was happening in the CSPAM Chat thread. I guess I should have expected it since it was breaking news at the time but I generally don't check that thread since the style of posting in there doesn't generally seem for me. (Or maybe it is, I don't pay enough attention to it to see more than random snippets of it whenever I peek in there)

The conclusion to this might just be that I'm a dumbass that doesn't know to check chat thread for misc. breaking news but I guess it would be nice if there were more room for single-purpose threads to cover specific topics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Athanatos posted:

Is there a particular reason when you didn't find a thread, you didn't just make one for the topics? I mean like, OP creating effort aside, there wasn't some CSPAM rule written or unwitten that made you feel like you can't just make a thread when poo poo happens right?

well, it certainly doesn't feel like it's illegal to make new threads here if thats what you're asking. but also I know that I'm not anywhere near online enough to be the first person to want to talk about any news story around here. I know people have to be talking about it somewhere, and often it feels like when some breaking news hits you'll usually have different chat/megathreads talking about it simultaneously. maybe I'm wrong on that since I generally don't keep up with all the threads here but that's my impression.

if I made a thread about some misc. breaking news topic I feel like the end result would probably be to spread the conversation out further rather than actually centralizing it. or maybe that's me making an excuse since in all my years posting on and reading these I think I have made a new thread like once or maybe twice