Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I only started posting in Cspam fairly recently and I like it a lot. Mods should use their buttons as little as possible, and that goes for getting rid of megathreads. There's gonna be spammy chat threads and the like and that's fine. The only problem is that they tend to dominate the listings because they are constantly bumped. I don't know the best way to handle that, someone mentioned creating a subforum but I dunno if that's gonna increase traffic to smaller threads or just bury them.

Maybe a smarter method is to have mods/iks temporarily sticky some good threads that are new/relevant to current events. For example, with the McCoffee guy not killing himself maybe the Epstein thread would be a good sticky for a week or too also because the Epstein thread is great and has some amazing effort posts. Unfortunately this requires a level of trust in the mod team that may not exist.

TLDR The best moderation is the least moderation Rand Paul 2012.

Efb holy poo poo ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

really queer Christmas posted:

I'd say break probes and maybe locking the thread for a day. Not as punishments, but just as a general "hey, try to have some optimism in your posting". This isn't a call to do some forced positivity - if the situation is bad, it's bad and should be allowed to be called bad. But if things are good or trending good or theres reasons to be hopeful, don't just subside into doom for no reason.

I haven't dipped into the Covid thread in a while, but this is the kind of heavy handed moderation that I don't think will be terribly effective. It may temporarily cut down on a specific "unwanted" kind of posting, but will probably backfire into the thread turning on the mod team. Maybe a mod presence that instead tries to guide the discussion in a different direction through good posts might have a more positive and long lasting affect.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

cumshitter put down the cocaine it's tomorrow now

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

This is what happens when you make announcements.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

If you genuinely get upset at beefer posting please log off and go outside.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Pamela Springstein posted:

lol

but also, given they reregged and were posting for months without issues, they could probably be unperma'd without much trouble

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Seriously, if you want to extend an open hand to cspam then unbanning the many users who were banned due to long forgotten grudges would go a long way.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

make pener a mod. i bet he'd hate it haha

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

The connection between all three of those posters is they were all in bad places and tried to post through it. I really liked snoo as a poster but everything I liked about her was gone by the time she self exiled. It probably didn’t help that she, an actual working class person, was now surrounded by work from home computer perverts yucking it up about the end of the world while pet catte. Ultimately all three needed support, not a loving IK star.

Hey, aren't you the dude who does nothing but bitch about CSPAM in QCS?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

ArfJason posted:

y'all remember when this style of :razz: post was made about taintrunner lol

"some of you cant handle that some taints are being ran, and by god the taints were ran, but by god someones gotta run those taints"

Arf has emails that will lead to the arrest of Harton Beefer.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Man, night crew is loving vicious.

Close the thread and reopen it on a week day to get a different crowd.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Please repeal the rule not to make fun of DnD. This is a fyad lite, after all.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

I mean it's largely not enforced unless people are being stupid as poo poo

Then just get rid of it. It's so silly that we can't source quotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Jazerus posted:

unsourced quotes have always been way more fun than sourced ones, why would you want to change that?

:hmmyes:

I retract my suggestion