Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Athanatos posted:

When a thread is 4000 pages and someone new jumps in, everyone tends to go "omg this guy didn't read page 221, what a loving loser"

Personally, I've never seen this happen in a C-SPAM megathread, I don't think it's an actual problem.

Megathreads are going to happen and while I'm all for people making new smaller threads, the problem is that if the new smaller thread ends up successful, it just becomes a megathread eventually. If the new smaller thread isn't successful, it falls back a couple pages and effectively dies. I don't get the hate about megathreads.

I also don't see what "rebooting" a megathread accomplishes, I haven't really seen a bunch of new posters come out for a rebooted version of a megathread that they weren't already posting in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Athanatos posted:

I turned slow mode off for now since I'm around.

I can't speak to specific CSPAM, but back when I asked before, ZDR had some things that showed, and personally in forums that I read, I've seen, when you reboot a thread on the regular, there are more people that show up. (that was a lot of loving qualifiers for that sentence) The longer a thread goes, the more insular (and a lot of times can be hostile to "outsiders") it becomes.

Also like I mentioned...people have to actually click the forum to refind their favorite thread instead of just living in bookmark land.

I don't think it hurts to go "Ok, new month, new thread!"

I don't think it "hurts" but also it doesn't really gain anything either other than just making sure threads don't go too many pages, basically it's strange to me that people focus on "threads with lots of pages" as the main problem when they are not really a big problem. I see new people jump in to supposed "insular megathreads" all the time.

Athanatos posted:

Some people feel like "doomposting" should be something a moderator should deal with

People calling honest descriptions of reality "doomposting" is a much bigger problem than megathreads, imo.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Homeless Friend posted:

The moniker is definitely over applied to where cspam being doomer is meme level lexicon but the phenomenon is real, to an extent. Expecting bad news can act as a crutch rather than a realistic logical progression from present information.

e: to be clear, this isn't any call for enforcement or really unique to c-spam but goon base level over estimation of their own intelligence. Just that c-spam has discussion on actual downer topics without rigid enforcement from the happy police so it'll naturally end up in this annoyance zone from time to time.

And I think that's a far better option than enforcing a level of toxic optimism. Yeah places like the climate change thread can get pretty bad sometimes but that's just a natural reaction to the material conditions of how the climate is hosed.