Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i like cspam and post heavily here while almost never having seriously posted anywhere else the whole time ive been on something awful because its a low judgment zone nearly everyone here admits to having been a total dumbass before 11/9 and the ones who werent arent smug shitheads about it

by the same token i also think this makes the subforum less suspect to toxic personalities taintrunner got run out fast once his rereg identity was publicized and i write this as someone having once regarded him vaguely positively its a stark contrast to how tinybrontosaurus was treated where people were scared to say she was toxic and her being an obvious rereg was dismissed as a conspiracy theory for years

i also think the smarter posters here are generally fairly nice and try to avoid drama if it gives them an excuse to talk about theory which is a philosophy i try to take to heart about my peculiar posting specialties the entertainment press and korea i think people should only be mean if its funny because then the person getting dunked on can laugh too ive been on both ends of that and its always a much much better experience here compared to other subforums

i dunno what admins can do about that nothing i guess moderation is honestly much improved since half the mods left and werent replaced i really think if people have a problem with us they should just try to talk with us i dont know why they think were so unapproachable

your question about the best posters is weird not sure why you asked but when i first got here gradenko seemed really smart and cool and he called me his main man once which made me happy his perspectives about the phillipines are really great and im glad hes here

oh and uhhh i enjoy the threads i post in which seems kind of implied but you seem to want specificity so there it is obviously my comments about cspam and why i like it only really apply to those threads

Some Guy TT has issued a correction as of 02:46 on Jun 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

when we talk about megathreads do we mean the threads with a large scope or the ones with a lot of traffic

the eurasia thread is the best one imo but with a huge scope but not much traffic and outside of china no one country umbrellad there could support its own thread thats why brutalist mcdonalds kept expanding the scope

hes a good poster btw not really clear why he stopped being a mod he was pretty good at it

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

hey ardennes why do you mod d and d but not cspam

im just curious because you seem pretty chill and more in step with the subculture here than the one over there

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

personally i just dont read the trump slash chat thread because that kind of fast paced posting isnt my thing its why im on a message board in the first place

i only ever hear complaints about the trump slash chat thread in the indirect sense that the mods from there gently caress up other threads for no reason and funny thing once the mods went away the complaints too disappeared basically overnight

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Takanago posted:

Sometimes it can be hard to find where discussion about a particular topic is happening if it doesn't fit any of the big megathreads. Recently it took me a little while to figure out where discussion was happening about John Mcafee's death when that was breaking. I figured it was a pretty CSPAM topic so I figured there would be lots of talk about it. But I couldn't figure out where at first, since it's not like there was a "MCAFEE IS DEAD" thread. (It's the subtitle of cspam chat now, but iirc it wasn't then.) I checked the Internet Cum Warrior thread because I guess Mcafee was an insane person online so he'd fit there, maybe? There was some there but most of the discussion was happening in the CSPAM Chat thread. I guess I should have expected it since it was breaking news at the time but I generally don't check that thread since the style of posting in there doesn't generally seem for me. (Or maybe it is, I don't pay enough attention to it to see more than random snippets of it whenever I peek in there)

as someone who posts content and has to arbitrarily guess the best thread for it i would have guessed epstein but yeah it can get arcane sometimes

i do like having semispecialized threads in part because it makes me think harder about where a post should go or if it should even be posted at all

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Athanatos posted:

Is there a particular reason when you didn't find a thread, you didn't just make one for the topics? I mean like, OP creating effort aside, there wasn't some CSPAM rule written or unwitten that made you feel like you can't just make a thread when poo poo happens right?

i personally browse cspam directly and find that new threads drop off the front page easily enough that theres often just not much point to making new ones

this isnt just a guess on my part i tried making a piss poll thread and an impeachment thread a few months back and neither one stuck despite both being fairly on brand topics

more recently the sports thread is just barely holding on and it doesnt help that baseball and basketball got their own threads not that i hold it against anyone for only wanting to talk about the sport they like and ignoring the other ones

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i keep hearing about this larry drama but i have no idea who larry is and its not being explained in such a way that i understand the issue

i mention this only to emphasize that i really dont care about larry and i kind of doubt most of the rest of cspam does either

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

really queer Christmas posted:

Does CSPAM really need sports threads though? Media threads make sense to me, but I visit the sports forum - politics is talked about almost constantly. It's not the focus, but it's not like it's taboo to talk politics or even focus on it in relation to sports. TFF talks about it just enough for my tastes, before going back to football. Hell, go post "Tom brady is a chud and a cheater" in TFF right now and you'll likely get 5 empty quotes.

my rationale for the sports thread existing is for explicitly cspammy culture war stuff like transpeople in sports or sports governing bodies jumping into politics or dumb media controversies involving athletes the bmx olympic athlete threatening to burn the flag if she wins is funny but not exactly an obvious topic for a more explicitly sportsminded subforum

the baseball and basketball threads are on shakier ground for the exact reason you noted it seems like the sports forum would have more appropriate places for that but im not gonna poo poo on those people for having threads here although i am kind of curious why they want to now that youve brought it up

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i dont post in that thread because its explicitly labeled as a primary thread rather than a general rep thread and i think forever primaries are dumb

also im so used to republicans being made fun of for dumb reasons rather than funny ones im hesitant to expand my content posting reach i probably should go ahead and add epic high five to my good poster list as theyre making the thread is at least reason enough to give it a chance

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

another reason i prefer posting in existing threads rather than making new ones is that its genuinely hard to guess which news stories people will find interesting and respond to

like ive had goofy as hell tweets just get totally ignored while convoluted wonkish ones that are misinformed in some weirdly elaborate way will inspire pages of discussion this is why i often post a bunch at once and try to avoid prompting people with an explicitly stated explanation of why i posted them

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i might be more interested in making new threads if more threads were displayed per page

i know that probably sounds ridiculous but dropping off the first page greatly hurts a new threads findability and other subforums would probably benefit too

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

DarkEuphoria posted:

the pre-modern history thread is very good, and is pretty slow moving. it’s even worth a read from the beginning, unlike a lot of the mega threads that are impossible to catch up with and should be jumped into from a few pages back, imo

on this subject a pet peeve ive had thats probably not all that important is the apparent inability of this subforum to support a modern history thread despite modern history being more on brand and also something we discuss in other threads all the time like i genuinely cant tell if theres something wrong with the thread or if people just dont see it because it doesnt get enough critical mass to be on the first page or what

for awhile there was just a single unified cspam history thread but then they got split up again because a couple people thought it was weird to have gay ancient greek memes one minute and then serious communism the next the division has also made it hard to discuss the 1619 project because it covers both pre napoleonic and post napoleonic history although rather conveniently thats also the dividing line for when the 1619 project has questionable history and correct history

of course youre probably thinking why merge the history threads when you could just make a new 1619 project slash critical race theory thread instead and uh i guess i could do that but given the running joke of how no one knows what either of these two things are id have to start off by explaining it and the easiest way to do that would just be to post 1619 project essays on a regular basis and everyone would proceed to debate shitpost and discuss yell at each other

the way im phrasing this it probably doesnt sound like a bad idea but im not super convinced anyone would actually read it is the thing

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Mr. Sharps posted:

:justpost: with the caveat that you should probably keep the op pretty slim to start with so maybe include some cliff notes

no editorializing im just posting the original articles so we can finally figure out what the 1619 project actually is

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3971652

i am sorry if this act of piracy destroys the forums but in my defense it would be very funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Finally, some data-driven decision making! We can see that the podcasts thread has the most overlap with the rest of the forum. So we simply take the podcast thread poster whose posts get the most engagement. Everyone welcome the new C-SPAM mod, xtal!

literally shaking that i am robbed of moderatorship because podcasts are mathematically slightly more everycspammish than pop culture

btw who are the top thirty cspam posters anyway it would not at all surprise me to learn that the pop culture thread is only so high up there because im like number thirty one or something