Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It seems like the biggest problem with cspam is that mods and IKs seems to be chosen exclusively from a pool of the most annoying, thin-skinned losers on the site and there's no obvious way to get rid of them when they continually make awful calls that drive everyone insane. This is not uniquely a cspam problem but it's where you asked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Athanatos posted:

Is there an archetype to look for? Is is even finding a "cspam mod" or should be be "find a mod for every iteration of cspam thread" and maybe one or two overalls to oversee the large group?

There are a couple issues with the moderation here honestly. The main thing is to either scrap the huge megathreads or to have dedicated IKs for them to solve some of the more obvious issues, the best example of that being Squizzle arriving in the glenn greenwald thread and arbitrarily probing and thread banning a loving dog, an action that literally no one in the thread wanted or supported. As a result there was a huge derail where everyone got really mad and yelled about it, the mod crew got defensive, it was loving stupid. Less of that kind of arbitrary moderation by mods who have nothing to do with the threads they stick their giant idiot feet into would be great.
The other thing is to pick mods who are going to less thin-skinned, which is difficult, or to be a lot more trigger happy about removing them. How much time and goodwill was pissed away by keeping Flavius around even though he was a loving terrible mod who did nothing but throw gasoline on every single fire he could find? Hell, there doesn't seem to any consensus about whether shitposting is even allowed in this nominally non-serious forum- me and I think Larry(?) got two weeks for saying witchcraft isn't real, seemingly because the one mod who designs tarot cards got his feelings hurt by people loving about in there and decided this was a Serious Thread So Act Respectful. It seems to be left up to the mood of each individual mod on that day to decide what the tone of the forum is, basically

some plague rats has issued a correction as of 02:12 on Jun 25, 2021

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Athanatos posted:

Lets use your last example. The witchcraft, tarot, whatever thread was their own community. They had their own rules and whatever for their thread that they expected. When someone broke them, they expected that to be fixed BUT, that thread also lives in CSPAM, where it's not a "try hard post with effort" forum, so someone clicking the thread is coming in with different expectations.

So which is the right call?

Do you let each thread set their own standards, and if someone stops by to disrupt them probe it? Or do you let the fact that you are in CSPAM direct the standards for your thread?

If you want a straight answer here, I'll give you one: to continue the example, if you want to make a thread discussing the serious business of witchcraft with No Trolls Allowed? Make it in D&D, or the hobbies forum, or CCCC. Don't just go "well, I'm a cspam poster, so I'll post it in cspam, and the normal forum cultures won't apply because I'll say they don't and this mod will give me cover because it's something he cares about." That kind of dumbassed home-forum mentality leads to stupid poo poo like people whining about brigading and forum invasions because they saw someone post somewhere else a couple times, it sucks poo poo

Larry Parrish posted:

to be fair I didn't even troll that thread; i said it was basically a hobby for rich people with too much free time and got accused of being a misogynist and being 'anti-indigenous'.

Lol yeah that was it. Incredible

some plague rats has issued a correction as of 02:45 on Jun 25, 2021

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ram dass in hell posted:

the best posters in cspam at the moment are, like, cumshitter, gradenko crusader, 2dcat, buddykins, pener kropooplin, twoday, rah! ,

In conclusion,
loving free lastgirl
loving free Al!
loving free mormonpartyboat

My cspam feedback is that you should be re-permabanned

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

dead gay comedy forums posted:

his hitting ratio in funny posts is great. if anything he's excellent in consistency

I was indifferent to him until they told me he's not actually gay, he's just been doing a minstrel show the entire time. hosed up. Ban him

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

A group of rowdy teens on motorbikes

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

What about a prisoner exchange with Bread and Roses

They get baw and how are u

We get Benghazi 2 and Prester Jane

I will personally arrive at this prisoner exchange in a suicide vest

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Anyway here's a suggestion: immediately start harshly probing anyone who posts about "poofing a beefer." that one unlovable dumbass started posting it everywhere and now it seems to be catching on with a subset of brainless slugs who are too stupid or afraid to attempt their own jokes so they just post the last thing they saw that everyone seemed to like. It's the worst kind of white noise posting and should be eradicated for the good of all forums

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oh Snapple! posted:

Why is this lovely retaliatory perma that everyone on the site knows was a lovely retaliatory perma still being enforced lol

Because no one actually likes dickeye enough to make a QCS thread about it

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shine posted:

Incidentally, I received several PMs about the Squizzle/A Loving Dog incident. I looked at those posts, and they sucked. We've removed Squizzle as a mod. I posted earlier that mods antagonizing posters is generally something to avoid, and that post (and the non-apology follow-up) was out of line. Mods antagonizing posters has been part of SA's shtick for years (and I'm certainly guilty of having done it before, especially a decade ago when aggro modding was the norm), but we need to grow past that.

Well no poo poo. That was easy and effective

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Spergin Morlock posted:

I post there and think "poofing beefers" is extremely dumb in a way that misspelling trump only ever wished it could be. With that said though I don't think banning it is the answer.

It sucks really bad, and I'm not specifically blaming Harton for this, because he's an unemployed 45 year old who spends all day smoking weed and searching the forums for people using his catchphrase. There's nothing I could do to him that would compare to what life already has. The wretched poofing beefs thing is the same as misspelling trump, or getting your taint ran, or whatever other dumbassed thing is the flavour of the month- it might have been funny once, but losers glom onto it and start posting it all over the place because they don't have any actual ideas, and as soon as you say this poo poo sucks a different bunch of creeps arrive to start posting about lol it's funny you're so mad at this, he's a prophet from dune, you should poof some beefs and other immensely gay poo poo like that and suddenly a good thread has turned into a referendum on the correct amount to revere a guy who lives in a damp garage. Get rid of it, make catchphrases probatable or something, the forum would be a million times better to read and the only people who will get him by this rule should post better or less anyway. that's my feedback

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

cumshitter posted:

i know. he just bought a home. his life owns. he's so loving cool

Can we create a specific thread for you to suck his dick in so the rest of us don't have to read it

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Thread posted:

It would help if well-known and well-loved women from a given thread were simply made IKs pre-emptively before they ever get ganged up on by the forum mafia.

Imagine if snoo, snake and bake, and facetoucher cat had been IKs/mods all along, to help the place chill out instead of what happened

Urgh this sucks so bad

It's great that the enemies list creep is still around has ideas about how to deal with the "forum mafia", incidentally

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Thread posted:

Here you go assuming their gender is the only possible reason to want to make them IKs, but not the fact that they are all good chill posters who bring interesting research and stories to the COVID thread that people enjoy. Calling them "random women" and categorizing their well-regarded thread histories in terms of what you assume men think is a poo poo attitude.

If their gender makes them a target due to forums cliques and moderation, then the obvious question is why weren't they the ones in power. They had already hit all the other qualifications such as being well liked. Also having a history of reacting well to thread conflicts which IMO is the only qualification for modship that matters besides trust.

Everything this guy posts makes my skin crawl

If you want to support women or whatever you can empower me by never posting again

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lib and let die posted:

it's unironically amazing, that 20+ years after the first post was ever posted on these forums, people still don't understand that the meltdowns over "THAT THING ISN'T FUNNY, STOP KRAMERING INTO EVERY THREAD AND SAYING THAT THING A BLOO BLOO" is 100% the reason that [unfunny thing] is propagating. It's functionally the same as posting 'the democrat party' in d&d

Woah, people are complaining about stupid poo poo they don't like? What do they think this is, some kind of feedback thread???

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Thread posted:

I agree, that wasn't very diplomatic. Listen, it's a legitimate concern. People who are culturally poor fits with CSPAM (which definitely has a culture) and who more importantly do not contribute into its content-heavy threads are absolutely not on the same level as contributors who make CSPAM what it is.

It's you! You're the bad culture fit who's trying to impose some kind of weird tier system where there are people who get to have opinions and people who don't and adding a clause to make sure you're on the right side of that divide!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lib and let die posted:

I dunno, call me weird but I just don't think we need to call for MTF Nine-Tailed-Fox to be deployed every time some thread's culture starts to leak into another's. The IK for whatever thread is getting poop beefed or whatever can just hand out some time off sixers and let it die out. I don't think there's a need for quarantining those threads away or anything though

Okay: you're weird. But seriously the problem is that this isn't happening, it's not getting squashed at all and the chat thread dumb fucks are never going to read the room and take the hint. Left alone they'll just do it more, as you pointed out yelling at them also makes them do it more, all that's left is mod action which hasn't been happening, hence the feedback I'm currently giving. I would like this stupid bullshit that's super annoying to anyone who doesn't have chat thread brain damage to be kept in it's own thread so I can not read it. Doesn't seem like a big ask. Before anyone tries to be like lol you're so mad or whatever: I'm at work, sitting on the toilet, my time has literally no value right now

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Thread posted:

You are a feedback thread regular

I am here because someone invited us from the Epstein thread

So loving what. Why do you think this is an important distinction

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

resistentialism posted:

Once again, I'm going to ask: Is this a thing that actually happens with some frequency?

If so, followup, have you tried telling them to gently caress off or something?

Just look at cumshitter posting in this very thread if you want to see how that normally goes and how unbelieveably irritating it is to read

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zurtilik posted:

I just find it concerning the amount of ablest and homophobic terms used to get mad about chat threads. Someone literally said the chat threads were "gay" at some point in this mess. Lots of weirdly dehumanizing poo poo too.

That was also me, I called it gay, which I'm allowed to do, because I think that's a funny thing to do

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zurtilik posted:

Real 2004 hours over here. Can't believe Bush got reelected.

lol shut up you loving idiot. Don't try to police what gay people say like a weird little nerd

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zurtilik posted:

Are you also mentally impaired and that's your defense for calling people brain damaged?

Stop being such a weiner

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yinlock posted:

harsh but fair