Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

the pre-modern history thread is very good, and is pretty slow moving. it’s even worth a read from the beginning, unlike a lot of the mega threads that are impossible to catch up with and should be jumped into from a few pages back, imo

as for the chat/trump thread, it might look or feel insular from the outside but people are very welcome to :justpost: and hang out, it’s a bit like the cspam water cooler that way. you can always go and find someone to engage with, and posters will remember the dumb things you talk about and ask about you and how those things are going for you, but they also get your jokes about current events and are hilarious themselves. unlike an actual water cooler at work, you can be assured that most folks share similar ideologies, which you can’t really many places at all. it also is still a thread that focus on the state of politics in America, and constantly talks about news related to politicians.

are some of the jokes overdone? absolutely! are there bad catchphrases that nobody asked for and no one is quite sure they even want? for sure! I think that’s part of its charm a bit, and also people are totally willing to explain where a stupid phrase or joke or meme came from, for the uninitiated.

it’s not quite the same thread as it was when trump was president, this is true, but it’s not bad either. as much hate as the thread gets, it has fostered a community of people who actually seem to care about each other. just recently some thread regulars chipped in to help a goon pay for some medical expenses. if you hit your head and might have a concussion and need someone to tell you to go to the doctor, you can always ask the chat thread and they’ll yell at you until you go to an emergency room, because they would rather that than for you to be seriously injured or have something worse happen (and be unable to post). there are plenty more examples of posters going out of their way to help each other out and while I don’t doubt this is true for other places in cspam, the sense of camaraderie in the thread is actually really great to see.

I do think having more threads would be better though, especially current event threads. a recent example of this working well was when the big ship got stuck. there was a thread that lasted until a little while after it was unstuck, and though an event like that touched many of the threads, it was nice to have a dedicated place to keep up with the subject that didn’t involve digging through mega threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Bastard Tetris posted:

I'm a coronavirus therapeutic researcher and I poo poo you not the COVID thread is the best aggregate resource for this pandemic I've ever seen. Bullshit gets called out almost immediately, fake professionals are pretty quickly poo poo on, and the average layperson in the thread gives better advice than the CDC.

LF was kind of insane and had some problems, but post-Flavius C-SPAM is a fantastic forum.

I think this gets overlooked a lot with the COVID thread. It has consistently been ahead of the curve throughout the entire pandemic. Sometimes, that makes the posting seem a bit unhinged or out of step with reality, but actually, the general info and advice and speculations tend to be if not completely accurate, not usually a huge overreach. The tone can be a bit much sometimes, but it is one of the few places where a person can go and read some well sourced articles, yell about how asinine the response to COVID is and has been, and not get told to cheer up because things just aren’t THAT bad. You can scream into the void with others who feel the shock of the situation.

The COVID thread remembers the bad things that have happened, the people who have died, the decisions that were made, and refuses to concede that nothing could have been done differently. It’s often solemn, because it should be, but then on the other hand, it is also a place to laugh about things like the absurdity of the inflatable Christmas tree that spread COVID in a hospital ward being the same costume as from a meme early in the pandemic.

Cspam definitely understands absurdity, I agree with the posters who say that’s a big part of the cohesion in the forum

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

I’ve seen plenty of people, who’s names I recognize from their posting in the trump/chat thread, even if they don’t post there anymore, post helpful and on topic feedback in this thread.

it’s only a few who have expressed that it is the core of cspam or something similar, and a lot of the posts aimed toward the chat thread seem to think that’s a bigger sentiment than it actually is

like, the thread knows its dumb white noise posting ratio has risen, but people like to post in there with their pals. I also see posters from there in other threads

a lot of this conversation seems like people just running with what they were told or what a couple insistent posters have said repeatedly