Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
As for doomer posting, I think it is warranted considering...the way things are going. That said, I think logging off/taking a mental health care break should be encouraged if needed. Also, it wouldn't be a big thing if posters just requested "vacation probations" if needed. I don't know if it is a serious issue yet at least but I am sure there are posters that are struggling to compensate. I don't think the offtopic threads are that big of the deal.

That said, I unironically wish there was more cross-posting from other forums even though I know the issues at hand.

quote:

i guess at the end of the day all I have to say is we need more mods and better mods. i don't really know how to achieve better mods but I think a good place to start would be rotating or electing some IKs for a trial run I dunno. i don't really want to put pressure on the admin team since they would have to run that stuff manually but I don't know what the other option is. if you ask me this forum was much better before admins stopped caring about it and we just let the existing mod crew stay forever.

Yeah, unfortunately, that probably can't be re-wound. But, I think it is just really tricky for cspam mods, in particular, to balance everything especially when you throw QCS into the equation. I mean you can say that a cspam mod "should always be on the side of cspam posters" but how does that actually going to work.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 02:48 on Jun 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Granted, is the current chat thread a big deal beyond it has its own thread culture that a bit out of step with Cspam? (That said, it was perhaps time it was relabeled considered how far is strayed.)

Yeah, I don't know how you would break up the COVID/Climate Change/Doomsday Economics/Marxism etc threads either since they are usually on topic. They just cover fairly broad topics that posters are interested in.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 03:08 on Jun 25, 2021

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Some Guy TT posted:

hey ardennes why do you mod d and d but not cspam

im just curious because you seem pretty chill and more in step with the subculture here than the one over there

Not to get too much into it, I posted in D&D for a really long time before Cspam existed, and honestly it it too has its ebbs and flows over the years. Right now, I think the divide is about as stark as the LF-era but at the same time I am a bit of a romantic about provoking discussion regardless of the forum. Also, it may be low-key my fault for trying to merge the D&D Trump thread and the 2018-era version of USPOL in the first place...which may have had a bit of a domino effect.

As for c-spam modding, to be absolutely frank, I think it is just in a very awkward position at the moment and it is unclear what cspammers want or if what they want is workable. For example, I have nothing against Larry (just an example) but I might find myself in a position where I would need to probate him and I don't know if I quite trust cspammers not to come after me. Even if it was legitimate probation and I have my reputation or whatever but I rather not have a target on my back. I like cspam, but I think a lot of cspammers have rhetorically trapped themselves into a position where it is a very difficult to make it work.

(Btw I know the whole back history of why this is so, it is just what I see going on right now.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 03:39 on Jun 25, 2021

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Some Guy TT posted:

i keep hearing about this larry drama but i have no idea who larry is and its not being explained in such a way that i understand the issue

i mention this only to emphasize that i really dont care about larry and i kind of doubt most of the rest of cspam does either

Eh to be honest, I don't think especially that sequence of events important beyond the fact that it lead to a standoff in QCS. It was just an example.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 03:45 on Jun 25, 2021

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Jazerus posted:

lol gently caress larry up man. gently caress me up. gently caress em all up it's fine. obviously you might get some pushback if you ban or permaban for shaky reasons but that's a good thing right? mod sass is part of the culture here but nobody is actually going to oppose an obviously justified mod action in any way that matters. you won't have a target on your back unless you show a consistent pattern of grudge-probating, either against a person or a thread.

not sure where the perception came from that cspammers are going to "come after you". it sounds really weird from where i'm sitting. like let me just lay it out flat here: there's a narrative that started around 2017 and has grown over time that cspammers are wild animals, uncontrollable and bestial and unable to reason about what might work in the moderation of their own subforum. it's bizarre and has its origins in obscure slapfights that absolutely should not be taken into account by the actual staff of this website, which is one of the biggest reasons it is nice to have this feedback thread. it shows that you're trying to avoid preconceptions. but you clearly still have them if you sort-of still believe these tales about cspam bogeymen

I post here, but I am less confident about the situation. It isn't that cspammers are wild beasts or something, but lets be honest the tension have been rising for a while.

Edit:

I think it is more trying to find a workable solution is just getting more difficult. If anything I think there needs more of a consensus that yeah some modding needs to happen and may even include the occasional mistake. There are issues like for example the "r-word" that never really got resolved.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 04:02 on Jun 25, 2021

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Jazerus posted:

probably someone from cspam who gets that it's a game. y'know? it's a joke that references our shared cultural experience of having bad mods. we actually tend to like capricious 6ers for bizarre comedy reasons, as well as 6ers for people who are posting badly. moderation in cspam should be loose but tight

like one of the formative cultural events for cspam was mass rebellion against boosted and his tedious rules for the trump thread, and we don't reserve ourselves from calling out bad moderation as a result of that and a lot of other subsequent events such as lowtax banning people from here on stream. but that doesn't mean that good moderation is actually unwelcome, or that a little bit of ribbing about "mod tyranny" actually constitutes a dislike of your actions.

I mean every joke has a little bit of the truth in it? I understand the history of what’s going on, the question of how the bridge that gap in trust that exists at the moment.

I would hope good modding would be enough but there is also QCS issues that often don’t even really involved CSpam mods but often involve mention of the sub forum anyway.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 04:38 on Jun 25, 2021

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Jazerus posted:

well...stop distrusting us. there's nothing we can really do as a community to alter your perception of us unless trust is extended. from my perspective, the distrust is basically unearned and the result of all of the forums conflicts that arose in the chaos of lowtax melting down repeatedly and making stupid decisions. we said bad things about bad mods, admins, and owners that are by and large no longer mods, admins, or owners for reasons everyone knows. why is this scary?

and no, sometimes a joke is just a joke. idk anything about angry PMs but i would feel confident in saying that anybody here would make fun of somebody raging over a 6er unless there was a really major event going on and the probe was bullshit; public "feedback" like somebody posting "mods are cops" after you dish out a probe is rarely ever serious, and if it is, you'll know quickly because people will start posting actual effortposts about the issue instead of just shitposts.

It really isn’t even a voluntary thing that CSpam has failed on or something but it is more I would rather at least find a way to let some of the bad blood that developed to drain a little bit. Also, I think developing trust is a two way street and some of that isn’t just making good mod calls but more fully developing durable trust from the mod side.

Btw I feel like I might be a bit dismissive with CSpam’s current mods but I actually I think CSpam is doing okay over all despite what I have been talking about.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I think the COVID thread is an interesting point of discussion. I posted on and off in it and honestly...the thread culture has always slanted more to hyperbole. It is sometimes spot on, but they have been some real bad calls and it can become unbearable. Something like large scale acquired immunity for example...was completely laughed off even after it was very clear in the statistics. Also, the entire attitude toward masking is completely contradictory.

That said, I don't think mods can enforce "good opinions" at a certain point especially on subjects that are divisive or at least not completely clear. If a mod came in there and started laying down the law, there would be a violent backlash. At a certain point all you can do is create a space for good faith alternative opinions to a thread consensus.

That said it has to apply to other threads as well. I mean if someone started defending the Democrats in the Succ thread, I am sure there would be a riot, but at least in my opinion there at least needs to be the open dissent to happen (even if it may not actually be right).

(I am not really talking about obvious trolling for effect, that is easy to spot.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 02:40 on Jun 26, 2021

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I would say cspam if anything is a very honest forum, even if it often cloaked in sarcasm and dark humor.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pohl posted:

he sucks rear end and shouldn't be a mod

Okay use your words.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

More as a illustrated example if anything else, but we can move on, but that type of posting is actually a problem.

I would say the Covid thread is an exceptional case but I have seen it show up in the doomsday econ thread as well.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Shine posted:

Condescending antagonism from mods is also a problem, especially in a thread for community feedback.

Sorry I said anything,, but at the same time I am a poster as well so.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pohl posted:

I can post completely structured sentences and not call names. How is that an example of bad behavior?
I guess you didn't like it, but that doesn't matter to me, I don't care.

I think taking a dump (without any follow up as well) on another poster in a feedback thread is actually bad behavior, yes.

That said, it is a subject for another day.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

fosborb posted:

subforum drama is the lamest of all drama. just head-shakingly sad

I agree with you there, my man.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Yinlock posted:

C-spam responds best to not being treated like absolute dogshit. Mods/Admins that actually ask for input or don't dismiss us as a howling mob generally get a way more positive response and are given way more slack than some dipshit bursting into the democ**t or glenn thread ready to LAY DOWN SOME FORUMS LAW

The Troubles generally only happen when someone gets hit with a serious punishment for no reason and then the staff doubles-down on the bad decision and circles the wagons. This has never once ended well for whatever bad mod started it, and inevitably leads to a hilariously embarrassing revelation followed by a self-ban.

Some of it has to be just that it is difficult to find someone to be a mod who gets along with all the threads at once. There have been various complaints that many (some say all but that seem unlikely) previous mods came from the Trump thread...but at the same time it is a very active thread and it is clear has a loyal following. If anything the feedback thread has shown everyone loves their favorite threads and think they should stay how they are...but they really don't like "that thread" over there. How do you actually like to moderate a subforum that balkanized unless you administer it like Bosnia? The system runs itself...until it doesn't.

Basically, you just need bazillion iks and then mods could only step in if absolutely necessary or otherwise they could spark a "diplomatic incident."

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 00:23 on Jun 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Schnorkles posted:

i have no idea why this is presented as a "bad thing."

It is more just unwieldy and also every thread with a recognizable community absolutely needs an active IK at all times.

Oh Snapple! posted:

It seems like a simple, on paper, way to handle this would be for the mods to largely just run the queue on largely basic, general forums rules and to consult thread IKs when something kinda eh comes up in a thread they largely have nothing to do with.

More important, though, would be an openness to realizing that the way one thread runs does not necessarily translate to all others (nor should it) and a willingness to act with some level of contrition when they clearly clash with a thread's culture. This is not a "thread regulars get anyone out of trouble" thing so much as a "just read the room" thing.

The problem is when a mod needs to come into a thread he doesn't frequent and can't really "read" the room. One solution would simply just have different mods with at least a little bit of a diverse background that can respond to at least some of the threads they know and then have IKs under them that can fill in the gaps. Some of it is just a recognition that the different threads can't be administered in a general manner.

I guess you would have to have at least one "megathread mod" (it seems like the area threads/climate change/doomsday econ/the Marxism thread and maybe the Succ thread have a fair amount of cross over (I am sure someone will contest this)) , a "lifestyle" mod, and a "Trump" mod. (This is just theoretical not an actual suggestion of what to do.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 00:41 on Jun 29, 2021