Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
I'm The Chairman and you may know me from running the goon guild for hit anime simulation game "final fantasy: fourteen", where we have an offsite Discord with an active left-leaning politics discussion chat that's had a lot of the same growing pains and conflicts as CSPAM at a smaller scale, so my feedback is coming from that perspective

in CSPAM I mostly lurk but post semi-regularly in the trump/chat threads; most of the topic threads are interesting reading but I feel like I don't have anything interesting to say in them (which isn't a bad thing, I just know nobody wants my basic american dude takes on communism or ukpol or whatever), while the chat threads are just a nice low-impact place to bullshit and joke about random politics events flowing down the pipe in a place where everyone's on the same wavelength

a lot of the moderation decisions here have baffled me because they seem extremely arbitrary and out-of-nowhere, but maybe that's a consequence of there just being so many mods/IKs and the userbase being divided up into a few discrete communities with only partial overlap. I think the best moderation strategy is for mods to model the kind of behavior they want to see from others

re: people getting the angriest at sixers, I can confirm -- on that previously-mentioned Discord server, mods sometimes hand out "warnings", which are just a message from a bot to cut it out, and people get even angrier about those than a temporary mute. I don't know why the smallest stakes provoke the biggest blowouts but I think that's just human nature

re: doomposting, there's a pretty clear line between pessimism and aggressive nihilism, but most of the poo poo that's derided as doomposting is just the former and not the latter. the latter needs reining in (using means less heavy-handed than probes and bans) but reflexively punishing the former doesn't help anyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

HookedOnChthonics posted:

the assertion jaz made tho was that regular contributors to other threads like Pentecoastal Elites are actually "isolated" if they aren't also at least reading the trump thread enough to recognize its posters, to which the observation that the trump thread does actually spend a lot of time on posters and throughlines that stay totally contained within it seems relevant?

honestly i'm not advocating for any changes or anything here so i'll drop it, i just wanted to provide a counter-anecdote to jazerus as someone who used to read trump thread a lot then pretty much dropped it cold and really don't feel that i'm missing out on the holy communion of sharing in plinkey's cheezers or dolphin's waffle-stomping or any of that.

you are missing out, now it’s about Harton’s beefer poofing and Buddykins’ rotten tooth, things move fast in the chat thread

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Tiler Kiwi posted:

If you find yourself rooting for the covid, if you find yourself wearing the covid teams jersey, if you got mob money riding on covid, you might be a "Doomer".

this does remind me of that one "nihilism :( vs nihilism :thumbsup:" meme tho, in terms of how people handle a bleak world outlook. be a little less self serious about it, i guess.

yeah, I agree with this, the only type of “doomerism” mods should crack down on is people eagerly hoping to see more death and suffering so their posting can be vindicated, and that is definitely a much rarer outlook than just plain pessimism or nihilism

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

STOP MAKING LISTS OF POSTERS GODDAMNIT

*adds you to the Anti-Listites list*

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

bracketed word + topical joke is a good format, that’s basically what I do with the FFXIV discord channel names

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

I think the Eurasia thread should be moved to Coupons so we can get discounts on Eurasia and Eurasia accessories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

I think we should split the Glen Greenwald thread into a "Glenn" thread (for all Glenns) and a "Greenwald" thread (for all Greenwalds). Glenn Greenwald discussion now goes to TV IV