Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Athanatos posted:

The thing I hear is "Who cares if we quote someone and make fun of them in this thread." But the problem is, it never ever stops there. So when a mod steps in and says "knock if off please" they get destroyed for asking in here.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it stops exactly there for most people, and if someone is doing weird PM harassment it should be handled individually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Like we can't stop someone from doing something we don't know and have no way of knowing they are doing.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Like genuinely if someone is spamming out threatening or questionable PMs I would like them to not be here because that's going far beyond the basic venting I view copying posts to lol at as.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Josh Christ posted:

Free benghazi 2

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Why is this lovely retaliatory perma that everyone on the site knows was a lovely retaliatory perma still being enforced lol

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Particularly when

Pamela Springstein posted:

lol

but also, given they reregged and were posting for months without issues, they could probably be unperma'd without much trouble

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Instead of being probated in CSPAM, people are sentenced to an equivalent amount of IK service

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Homeless Friend posted:

lol don't beg mods jfc, bear the weight of your posts

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Ardennes posted:

Some of it has to be just that it is difficult to find someone to be a mod who gets along with all the threads at once. There have been various complaints that many (some say all but that seem unlikely) previous mods came from the Trump thread...but at the same time it is a very active thread and it is clear has a loyal following. If anything the feedback thread has shown everyone loves their favorite threads and think they should stay how they are...but they really don't like "that thread" over there. How do you actually like to moderate a subforum that balkanized unless you administer it like Bosnia? The system runs itself...until it doesn't.

Basically, you just need bazillion iks and then mods could only step in if absolutely necessary or otherwise they could spark a "diplomatic incident."

It seems like a simple, on paper, way to handle this would be for the mods to largely just run the queue on largely basic, general forums rules and to consult thread IKs when something kinda eh comes up in a thread they largely have nothing to do with.

More important, though, would be an openness to realizing that the way one thread runs does not necessarily translate to all others (nor should it) and a willingness to act with some level of contrition when they clearly clash with a thread's culture. This is not a "thread regulars get anyone out of trouble" thing so much as a "just read the room" thing.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Ardennes posted:

It is more just unwieldy and also every thread with a recognizable community absolutely needs an active IK at all times.

The problem is when a mod needs to come into a thread he doesn't frequent and can't really "read" the room. One solution would simply just have different mods with at least a little bit of a diverse background that can respond to at least some of the threads and then have IKs under them that can fill in the gaps. Some of it is just a recognition that the different threads can't be administered in a general manner.

Just to clarify, by "read the room" I mean "if the thread reacts poorly, find out why". I absolutely understand that some things can require immediate action and the moderator might be the only person around to deal with something.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Please repeal the rule not to make fun of DnD. This is a fyad lite, after all.

I mean it's largely not enforced unless people are being stupid as poo poo

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Then just get rid of it. It's so silly that we can't source quotes.

nothing is gained by sourcing them. consider unsourced as the 'lite' part of fyad-lite.

like this is peak dumbass succ zoner thing in having a good thing going and then trying to push it further for absolutely 0 gain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

VideoKid posted:

I think sourcing quotes from other places on this forum leads to way more drama than comedy. I only read the democrats/ liberals thread sporadically but I think it’s fine the way it is.

i fully agree. i very much do not want people touching the poop, much less touching it and bringing their lovely finger back to brag about it. it sucks and is an overall toxicity increase in all corners. unsourced definitely helps mitigate that, and the thread has also been self-policing better in not encouraging that poo poo.

it is currently, in short, Fine.

Jazerus posted:

unsourced quotes have always been way more fun than sourced ones, why would you want to change that?

and yeah anytime you get mad at having to do unsourced just remember that sexpig got redtexted over them lol