Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I got more pumped than I should have when I started up the game and saw Lil' Cactus in my character's room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Hm, I see Gaius is now Gaia. I don't notice any other script changes yet.

Did you not used to appear in your bedroom after a chapter ends?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Rand Brittain posted:

Hm, I see Gaius is now Gaia. I don't notice any other script changes yet.

Did you not used to appear in your bedroom after a chapter ends?

Oh yeah, I saw that but chalked it up to the new German translation changing things around. (Other changes I've noticed so far: Teapo is now Teeka to make the pun still work, and a woman. And Domina was renamed Dominia. Because "Domina" is the German word for "Dominatrix", I suppose that would look odd in a German text.)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I can already see some slight dialogue differences, like when you try to leave Home for the first time without talking to the Sproutling, and the Sproutling outside the inn in Domina after talking to it a lot.

Man, I love the music so far. It’s hard to imagine the original’s OST being improved, but they somehow did it.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Invented a town, met a pretty odd cat. Told a guy to stop harassing a woman, and then didn't let him join me.

Was told to get rid of bandits, but had to let my new cat friend be a prick to his cockney friend first before I could.

Then I beat up two children and then seemingly adopted them?

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Zenithe posted:

Invented a town, met a pretty odd cat. Told a guy to stop harassing a woman, and then didn't let him join me.

Was told to get rid of bandits, but had to let my new cat friend be a prick to his cockney friend first before I could.

Sounds about right

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Zenithe posted:

:allears:

This is the entire game. Everything you end up doing will be this.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Zenithe posted:

wow you actually met the peddler of smiles himself???

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Your post made me smile, thank you.

Are people playing with the OG or rearranged soundtrack? So far I've gone with the rearranged.

edit:
I forgot about Niccolo's reactions when you talk to sproutlings. lmao

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 24, 2021

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I was walking through the first dungeon and there were a bunch of enemies just sort of standing there. I was very confused.

It turns out I accidentally turned encounters off. It’s way too easy to do. What the gently caress.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I did the first Niccolo mission and the Little Sorcerers one. I haven't gotten any lucre on these missions. Is this normal or is something messing up?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Random encounters seem to be off by default and they drop money

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I was walking through the first dungeon and there were a bunch of enemies just sort of standing there. I was very confused.

It turns out I accidentally turned encounters off. It’s way too easy to do. What the gently caress.

cheetah7071 posted:

I think the random encounters are supposed to be on by default, but the option is right on the game menu screen and the menu controls seem really touchy, at least on the PC version.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

I fought enemies, when they died they dropped things. 0 lucre at the end.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Spacebump posted:

I fought enemies, when they died they dropped things. 0 lucre at the end.

Enemies do drop money, and the boss at the end of Niccolo's quest always drops money. (But you have to manually pick the coins up)
Though Niccolo forces you to buy things at the end of his first quest, if you paid attention to the dialogue.

While in Little Sorcerers, the kids never drop anything.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Cyflan posted:

Enemies do drop money, and the boss at the end of Niccolo's quest always drops money. (But you have to manually pick the coins up)
Though Niccolo forces you to buy things at the end of his first quest, if you paid attention to the dialogue.

While in Little Sorcerers, the kids never drop anything.

That makes sense thanks, after he realized I didn't have enough and told me to empty my pockets, I thought he just got mad I didn't have enough/was checking to make sure. I had mashed the button a little too fast and looked away for a second for that last bit of dialogue.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I got this game when it came out along with the strategy guide as the dude at the gamestore insisted upon it. Basically followed the guide as I went through the game. Honestly I don't think I experienced the game the way I should have but it was a good time.

DNE
Nov 24, 2007
I'm a very big fan of this game and it's been a pleasure to revisit it and share it with my partner. Her reactions have been delightful. She voices the dialog for me! It's great.

THE JUNKYARD:
Did you know that you can talk to every single sprited toy? I didn't when I was younger! It's great! Also great: the slowly dawning horror on my sweetheart's face as the toys lament their fate and regrets, and howl "tell me I can still fight, Pokiehl!, to which she responded: "the... POET?"

SPROUTLINGS:
Love em. Love talking to sproutlings. Love sharing them with someone who starts out voicing as if they are, basically, Toads, and then catches herself chirping "We don't have souls, you know!" Love Niccolo's completely uncalled for burning hatred of sproutlings, his declared distaste for worthless creatures, his wish that the world only had puppies and bunnies in it, slowly escalating until my partner declares, of this jovial merchant of smiles, "...he's a MONSTER!"

...She ain't wrong!

REACH FOR THE STARS:
The punchline of this event is great.

THE UNDERWORLD:
"Next up: Hell!"
"Oh, this place is a real pain?"
"No, literally!"

PRODUCE:
We spent some time flicking through the produce encyclopedia and excitedly declaring different ones to be the best. Whalamatoes are particularly delightful. So are needlettuce.

I CAN JUST TURN ENCOUNTERS OFF WHEN I GET LOST IN AN AREA AND GET TIRED OF IT:
This is a tremendous improvement to this game, which features mazelike environments of mostly identical beautiful painted scenes.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
If you haven't run into Gilbert yet, you're in for a treat. It's a real trip revisiting some of the events all these years later with a certain amount of, uh, personal growth in the meantime. Oh, Gilbert.

The environments are deliberately beautiful and confusing, but the layouts themselves are relatively straightforward. The only one that'll really get you is the Jungle, because until you've met up with someone in particular there I think the correct path is impossible. Most everywhere else will have some clue or character to let you know where you should be headed. Just don't get tripped up by their fondness for entering the same edge of the screen you just left.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I started with a Spear but switched to sword/shield. I liked the range on the spear but sword is so much quicker. Then again, I learned the move Master Javelin(?) where you jump and throw your spear forward, hitting a wide area, and it ruled for taking out groups of enemies, so maybe I should switch back. Sword techs aren’t as good.

I unlocked the monster corral and now have my very own rabite names Rabort*. I haven’t brought it with me yet but I’ve been feeding it and letting it graze. Not sure how deep I’m gonna go into this mechanic.

I did the lake with the penguin pirates which was kinda neat I guess. I found you can bring the little sorcerer guy with you whenever you want and he’s very useful. Also, he had special dialogue with the turtle guy. But my question is, what’s up with the random poo poo I keep finding in chests? Like wow… another moth wing. Thanks game!

*apologies for the confusion if your son is also named Bort.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 25, 2021

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I found you can bring the little sorcerer guy with you whenever you want and he’s very useful. Also, he had special dialogue with the turtle guy. But my question is, what’s up with the random poo poo I keep finding in chests? Like wow… another moth wing. Thanks game!

Yeah, Bud, the little magician boy, has a quest to meet six certain people, you found one.

There’s crafting in the game that you’ll unlock later. That’s why you’re getting all that random junk.

DNE
Nov 24, 2007
The garbage you find in chests is fodder for an inscrutable and unnecessary crafting system, which matters as much as, say, where you place your artifacts on the map.

Here's an excerpt from MMajarra's crafting guide on GameFAQs (2001):

code:
For example, if you temper a Holy Water onto a weapon, you gain the power to
push off Pixie cards. However, if you temper a Lilipods following that Holy
Water, the Lilipods take the invisible slot, and the Holy Water becomes a
Cleric card, which has properties that differ from the raw item that created
it. In essence, you lose the ability to push off Pixie cards, but you affect
the weapon's power, and other factors.
Please decide for yourself how much you wish to engage with it!

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Crafting can be fun but isn't particularly necessary to progress. For me it comes from being able to say "My Apricat Sword"

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

DNE posted:

The garbage you find in chests is fodder for an inscrutable and unnecessary crafting system, which matters as much as, say, where you place your artifacts on the map.

um acktually, artifact placement matters a lot because it determines if demihuman pets will spawn in certain locations

crafting though? you can ignore it. or just follow recipe guides that tell you which incredibly rare materials you need to use to make powerful weapons and armor. got six dragon blood laying around? probably not because i never saw a drop of across like four different playthroughs.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

DNE posted:

code:

I like the insanity of the item crafting system, its a nice difference from crafting as it is in games now. it just needs some way to more easily see how you hosed up your weapon.

the real satisfaction is getting your golem tetroids all lined up though.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

DNE posted:

code:

That is forever my favorite guide for being bonkers huge for a text only guide for one mechanic.

DNE
Nov 24, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

um acktually, artifact placement matters a lot because it determines if demihuman pets will spawn in certain locations

Oh! Yeah, there's definitely a lot of fun that can be derived from engaging with the system, and some neat things involved in it - like, honestly, I intend to learn how crafting works this time around - but I wanted to playfully indicate that there isn't any particular need to engage with it.

I think a theme of Legend of Mana, generally, is the joy of the unimportant and the unnecessary. Lots of quests are about things that seem important but end up being a dull fart, or that are unimportant on the surface but really matter to the people involved. I think its subsystems relate to that theme by being toys that can be fun to understand and tinker with, but aren't especially important to success in the game beyond that. The panoply of different combat options (you can hurl enemies up into the air! You can split into after-images, only one of which is real - and you can even do it early by hitting Lunge + Retreat at the same time!), the ability to grow whimsical fruit, and build robots, and train monsters, and play little songs to spirits, and instill the spirit of apricats into your sword, are all, when you get right down to it, toys! Enjoy them if you have patience and love for them, and throw them away if not.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

That ties heavily into the idea that without Mana in the world for the last nine hundred years, people have forgotten, essentially, how to love. What you love largely doesn't matter a whole lot as long as you do, and if you don't love a thing let someone else love it. This is one reason I like Gilbert's questline so much. Oh, Gilbert.

I also like that poo poo's gotten real poo poo in this pretty and overwhelming world. Cheerful music and whimsical art and silly fruits and did Sandra just...ffff

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

real talk though i think crafting would be pretty straightforward if Mystic Cards had an in-game encyclopedia and equipment had a visible energy meter. and I guess maybe took out the invisible holding slot.

DNE posted:

I think its subsystems relate to that theme by being toys that can be fun to understand and tinker with, but aren't especially important to success in the game beyond that.

this is a cute and fun way of thinking about it

Casnorf posted:

I also like that poo poo's gotten real poo poo in this pretty and overwhelming world. Cheerful music and whimsical art and silly fruits and did Sandra just...ffff

please enjoy this unusually upbeat arrangement of city of flickering destruction from the Promise album
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1gUYXH0xG0

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 25, 2021

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I'm so happy people are playing and enjoying Legend of Mana. It's the first game I played growing up where I actually thought about the themes and character perspectives. There are legitimately ideas in this game that still stick with me today and have helped to craft my personal philosophy.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I still appreciate the game playing up like Rubens is going to be all important and whatnot, and then welp.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DNE posted:

code:

You can also just toss in the best ore(?) and other high tier mats and end up with a weapon whose power far exceeds anything you need to beat the game too.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Does anyone know how you're supposed to figure out what to do in the buccaneer's ship? I looked it up on gamefaqs after getting stuck and they just give a solution with no indication of how you're ever supposed to learn it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I unlocked crafting and I have no clue what to do with it.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

cheetah7071 posted:

Does anyone know how you're supposed to figure out what to do in the buccaneer's ship? I looked it up on gamefaqs after getting stuck and they just give a solution with no indication of how you're ever supposed to learn it.

If you mean sailing around to trigger quests, you’re probably meant to just sail randomly and stumble across them. But the sea is only a 5x5 grid (you can tell where you are by the helmsman’s dialogue, each square has a different line) so it’s pretty easy to just methodically sweep across until you find everything.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Snake Maze posted:

If you mean sailing around to trigger quests, you’re probably meant to just sail randomly and stumble across them. But the sea is only a 5x5 grid (you can tell where you are by the helmsman’s dialogue, each square has a different line) so it’s pretty easy to just methodically sweep across until you find everything.

I had no idea it worked that way and probably never would have figured it out

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

cheetah7071 posted:

legend-of-mana.txt

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

cheetah7071 posted:

Also if you want to leave the ship you have to tell the captain you don't like his ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

I unlocked crafting and I have no clue what to do with it.

ah, hmmmmm, well, to make a very, very long story short; you pick a good base material (metal for a sword, wood for a bow, etc.) and then hammer elemental coins and ancillary stuff like crystals into it to boost its stats. there are a bunch of weird things and special attacks you can unlock with some items hammered into the right weapon but at its most basic it's just about the elemental affinities