Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I made fun of death stranding because it sounded lame on paper but obv I beat the poo poo out of it. damned if I didn't plant ziplines on every square inch of the map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Wandersong looks really annoying, it's a game where you play a bard and the main mechanic is singing, but it's fun and keeps adding cool surprises all the time. got me emotional a little

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
Mass Effect

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

oh. that's divinity original sin 2. the same studio has a game that's actually called divinity 2, which after googling it to make sure is the one that's basically a shittier version of fable.

Nah Divinity 2 is really good imo. Original Sin 2 is on another level but the older games have their charm, Divine Divinity was the Diablo clone and was impressive in lots of ways but not really fun

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Nah Divinity 2 is really good imo. Original Sin 2 is on another level but the older games have their charm, Divine Divinity was the Diablo clone and was impressive in lots of ways but not really fun

i find basically all of their games before original sin to be trash but of a very endearing and interesting kind. I wish dragon commander was half as fun as it sounds, cuz it has a ton of effort put into it but the dragon stuff sucks and the rts is bare bones

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Frenz posted:

mario rabbits kingdom battle.

this

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I dont buy games that I think Ill hate, but I expected Supraland to just be a short distraction and it ended up being the first game I 100%ed in years.

e: Also Prey, which I only tried because a friend badgered me over the course of months

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Golf Story.

I loving hate golf and a friend convinced me to pick it up and it's now probably in my top 5 games of all time.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Rocket League and Binding of Isaac. The first is supposed to be just soccer with cars and other one is supposed to be flash zelda 1 with random edgy newgrounds toilet humor. Turns out they were heroin and cocaine. They are literally all I play.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Yeah Isaac taught me that the - to me at the time - fully absurd concept of "you lose all* progress when you die" doesn't have to mean the game is impossible to enjoy

*I didn't know that you'd keep unlocking permanent upgrades, that helps a lot admittedly

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah whoever came up with unlocks is a genius. It kept me playing nuclear throne for ages even though it's painfully hard. Whereas a traditional roguelike like DCSS I get mad after a few failed runs and don't play it for months lol.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I’ve beaten dcss 5 or less times I think and I started playing over a decade ago. Haven’t played in a minute though

Lmao Tzu
Sep 11, 2014

goferchan posted:

Lol one of my buddies bought it, probably made it as far as the Firelink Cemetery and sold it back to Gamestop a few days later. Now he's got the platinum on every game, bought a PS3 just for Demons Souls, etc

me and a friend borrowed it from gamestop (he worked there and they let him take games home to basically rent) to see how hard it was and joke around about it with some beers, got not much further than firelink shrine, and returned it convinced it sucks, but like a week later I couldn’t get it out of my head and I bought it on steam without telling him

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Have you told him by now or will this be a secret looming higher and higher, threatening to shatter your friendship if ever exposed?

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I was sure i hated jrpgs but I tried dq11 and it was my goty no doubt

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

dangerdoom volvo posted:

DQ11 doing what the doctors couldn’t

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

The Klowner posted:

I made fun of death stranding because it sounded lame on paper but obv I beat the poo poo out of it. damned if I didn't plant ziplines on every square inch of the map

OH yeah, Death Stranding is my answer too. I was absolutely done with Kojima-wank, and I loving hate the Walking Dead so I was all set up to loathe this game, turns out its the chillest game ever and I loving love it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

dangerdoom volvo posted:

anyone who doesn't love dq11 should be killed like the rabid dog they undoubtedly are imo

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

SaGa games in general, but especially Unlimited SaGa. People had hyped it up as this super incomprehensible nonsense game, and...tbh it kind of is, but I was really tempted to see for myself. But I kinda got into it and understood more and more what it was going for, getting a feel for how it wanted me to play it, and my characters got better and I could follow a bit of a plan for them, and I had a lot of fun. Even the roulette wheel to select attacks (and determining chest contents etc) I got used to despite hating random stuff like that. It's weird but chill and good!

Hiraeth
May 14, 2021

CyberPingu posted:

Golf Story.

I loving hate golf and a friend convinced me to pick it up and it's now probably in my top 5 games of all time.

oh yeah, i've seen someone play golf story before. looks kinda sick, just wish it had a PC release

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

"Kojima-wank"

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fungah! posted:

"Kojima-wank"

i can only assume this nonsense phrase is a wordfilter for a horrifying, vile slur of some kind.

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

Fungah! posted:

"Kojima-wank"

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

I didn't particularly expect to like Death Stranding either, and I fell off of it when it first came out just because there was so much other gaming going on at the time. Picked it back up about a week ago for PC and it's just so much fun. Demon Face pose ftw.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I expected to love Death Stranding and I did. You people are diseased

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

trying to imagine what it would feel like to not love Kojima games

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

This.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

i thought i would like it but i didnt. sorry

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

mycophobia posted:

i thought i would like it but i didnt. sorry

I can respect that actually, it's not for everyone but I don't trust anyone who expected to dislike it

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I was going to try Death Stranding but it seemed... Kojima-wanky? I guess?

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I can respect that actually, it's not for everyone but I don't trust anyone who expected to dislike it

i expected to dislike it so i never played it. im very happy kojima is free from the mgs shackles and doing w/e he wants, but every bit of actual gameplay in death stranding videos b4 release looked like itd make me miserable. hopefully his next game is more to my taste

Hiraeth
May 14, 2021
actually you know what i'd probably throw the MGS games into the pile of "games i want to play but am scared i wouldn't be into", mainly because nobody doesn't like MGS and if you are one of the few that do then it's basically a sin

don't get me wrong, the lore is insane, the characters are memorable, i can respect kojima's craft. but i'm really not that great at stealth games and i feel like i'd play badly enough to where it would sour my experience. on the other hand it seems like it's pretty much everyone's entryway into the stealth "genre" (unless you're old enough to have been playing thief back in the day) so i'm probably just feeling Gamer Anxiety™ about the whole thing

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005
I tried and bounced off of Witcher 3 for a couple of years because I couldn't stand the combat and paid little attention to anything else. But once I played long enough to get to the baron quest, I was hooked. I ended up really liking the characters too

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Hiraeth posted:

actually you know what i'd probably throw the MGS games into the pile of "games i want to play but am scared i wouldn't be into", mainly because nobody doesn't like MGS and if you are one of the few that do then it's basically a sin

don't get me wrong, the lore is insane, the characters are memorable, i can respect kojima's craft. but i'm really not that great at stealth games and i feel like i'd play badly enough to where it would sour my experience. on the other hand it seems like it's pretty much everyone's entryway into the stealth "genre" (unless you're old enough to have been playing thief back in the day) so i'm probably just feeling Gamer Anxiety™ about the whole thing

i thought i didnt like stealth games before i played mgs but it turned out i didnt like stealth segments in normal games

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

IdealFlaws posted:

I tried and bounced off of Witcher 3 for a couple of years because I couldn't stand the combat and paid little attention to anything else. But once I played long enough to get to the baron quest, I was hooked. I ended up really liking the characters too

Yeah I hated 2, just an absolute poo poo experience, so I didn't even bother with 3 until like last year when it was in sale for pennies and after playing it for a couple hours I called in sick to work for three days straight to keep playing it

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

some plague rats posted:

Yeah I hated 2, just an absolute poo poo experience, so I didn't even bother with 3 until like last year when it was in sale for pennies and after playing it for a couple hours I called in sick to work for three days straight to keep playing it

the difference between 2 and 3 is insane, lol.

my brother and i have been playing 3 over discord and just finished it tonight. i'd forgotten a lot of things about the ending.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I played metal gear solid 3 on super baby mode where it just gives you infinite tranq darts lol. Epic game

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AverySpecialfriend posted:

I played metal gear solid 3 on super baby mode where it just gives you infinite tranq darts lol. Epic game

Playing mgs 3 on hard sucks so bad. Oh I'm moving from crabgrass into veldemanns green, time to go through three menus to change my camo from tiger stripe to olive drab because if my index drops below 85% I will be domed instantly from ten miles away by a guy who's not even looking

I want to poison men with frogs, hit them with beehives and do cqc in the camo that makes them barf, not play as the world's saddest earthworm

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

some plague rats posted:

lol hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I absolutely loved Witcher 2 and played the entire game at 640x480 and a locked 20fps bc anything higher would melt my laptop's built/in GPU. I couldn't read a single line of menu text bc of how blocky the letters was. I've never tried 3