Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
it's pronounced "microshaft windblows"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

why does windows 11 look like a linux

the world is finally waking up to what good ui design looks like: something halfway between gnome 40 and unity

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Windows 12 will go full linux and look like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QokOwvPxrE

and it will be heralded as the best operating system ever

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

win11 looks fine, I'll update when it's out as long as the few bits of software I actually use run on it fine, which they probably will on day 1 because win11 is just the win10x fork merged back into the 21H2 branch

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Wow, and just like that TPM modules are out of stock.

lol every cpu made within the last several years has a tpm built in

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Jenny Agutter posted:

Several as in four, it started on core eight series. Just managing expectations.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i still use my 2500k

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
will I be able to run binbows II on my pentium 3??!?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

Several as in four, it started on core eight series. Just managing expectations.

its been around from 4th gen core for intel, around 2013

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Jenny Agutter posted:

its been around from 4th gen core for intel, around 2013

yes but it requires a slightly bigger bios chip so it was a rarity on anything but business laptops/desktop until not that far ago. My asus 170 board doesn’t have it for instance.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
YMBPOS

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Jenny Agutter posted:

I guess I should put the "hang in there" kitten on the side of my tower.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

will I be able to run binbows II on my pentium 3??!?

as it is a gnu with linux yea it should be ok

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

r u ready to WALK posted:

Windows 12 will go full linux and look like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QokOwvPxrE

and it will be heralded as the best operating system ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW9lHOMVFaY&t=2s

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
its gonna do the windows 10 upgrade thing where it misleads you into installing 11 unless you press the right combo of keys but even if you don’t it will still automatically upgrade you to 11.
and then since nobody really has tpm then itll fail the upgrade and will try to revert. but then next update cycle it will see you’re on 10 and not 11 so it will do it again

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i'm looking forward to another round of

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SlowBloke posted:

Lol so Windows 11 won't work on my 2017 ThinkPad with 64 gigs of ram because it is a 7th gen Intel?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Lol so Windows 11 won't work on my 2017 ThinkPad with 64 gigs of ram because it is a 7th gen Intel?

same boat, i7-6700 with 32gigs which is not in the spec sheets while a shittastic n3050 with 4gigs is so 🤷‍♂️

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
they need the tpm module to play the drm protected startup chime

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lmao how did macos suddenly support devices longer than windows? this requirement is insane

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i can't accept any OS that doesn't allow for top taskbar

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

dioxazine posted:

i can't accept any OS that doesn't allow for top taskbar

you sick bastard

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Joanna stern interviews satya on the wsj tech news podcast. a lot of fluff about being user-centered and an open platform and pretending like a start button in the center is something that makes sense. he’s desperately avoiding admitting that the new app development model for macOS and chrome will be mobile ports and Microsoft is trying to get on that boat.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Perplx posted:

how long before windows is reduced to a stable driver abi for linux

drivers and a window manager.

mystes
May 31, 2006

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Wow, and just like that TPM modules are out of stock.
I don't know if it's true but someone was saying that they're going to require 8th generation intel or 2nd generation ryzen processors by the final release of windows 11 so it doesn't matter.

I love how first windows 10 was going to be the last version of windows, and then they suddenly announced there would be windows 11. Everyone was wondering if it would be a free upgrade or not, and so they finally made a big announcement about how it would be. Now the hardware requirements are trickling out and most people who don't have super recent computers won't be able to upgrade because they decided to arbitrarily require recent hardware for no real reason.

I wonder if they're just doing this because manufacturers were whining about not being able to sell new computers.

mystes fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 27, 2021

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
win 11 needs a tpm 2.0 chip which those cpus have built in, but discrete tpms or other implementations should work fine as well

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shaggar posted:

win 11 needs a tpm 2.0 chip which those cpus have built in, but discrete tpms or other implementations should work fine as well
What I mean is that the rumor was that it's not just the tpm 2.0 requirement, they are actually going to add additional cpu requirements now, but maybe that's not actually true.

I doubt there's any specific reason to require tpm 2.0 except to exclude older computers anyway.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i doubt its a sales thing cause people are buying at record levels and in the enthusiast space the demand is insane to the point that you cant find stuff to buy.

its more likely they're just doing it because if they dont manufacturers will keep shipping stuff without TPM, or with TPM disabled, and this is a way to force the issue and do better w/ consumer security.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mystes posted:

What I mean is that the rumor was that it's not just the tpm 2.0 requirement, they are actually going to add additional cpu requirements now, but maybe that's not actually true.

I doubt there's any specific reason to require tpm 2.0 except to exclude older computers anyway.

you can remove the tpm 2.0 installer requirement by futzing with the install files so its not a technical limitation, but it would be pretty incredible if they did cut out old cpus like that.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shaggar posted:

you can remove the tpm 2.0 installer requirement by futzing with the install files so its not a technical limitation, but it would be pretty incredible if they did cut out old cpus like that.
Being able to do this in the current builds doesn't say anything about whether the final RTM version will allow it.

Either way I think they screwed up the messaging about this to an absolutely crazy degree.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if they're gonna introduce actual technical requirements i'd be surprised if they waited until release as having people test in in beta would be real important to not loving it up.

altho i could certainly see in a year or so after they've got enough machines on 11 they start introducing new features that mandate specific hardware.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Do the CPU requirements have anything to do with meltdown? I don't know anything about windows, but kpt isolation really, really hurt on linux. Don't know what it's called, but there is a windows feature where it jumps to kernel space to verify indirect jump addresses, and I know meltdown mitigations initially killed performance there.

I just cynically assumed from the get-go this was a sales ploy. Esp. when they lead with the big redesign being... putting start in the middle of the taskbar.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
there’s a huge chip shortage and nobody can get high end CPUs or any GPUs. manufacturers are back-ordered for months. the price of PC hardware is going up. expect most organizations to hold on to their existing machines for an extra year or two if they can. pushing hardware upgrades now would be incredibly stupid.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
TBF, the CPU requirements of windows 10 were really low (virtually unchanged from 7, which was unchanged from vista afaik). At my makerspace I'm pretty sure we have P4s running 32 bit windows 10.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
my guess is that they are planning something that depends on virtualization features found on recent CPUs and TPM2.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

The Management posted:

there’s a huge chip shortage and nobody can get high end CPUs or any GPUs. manufacturers are back-ordered for months. the price of PC hardware is going up. expect most organizations to hold on to their existing machines for an extra year or two if they can. pushing hardware upgrades now would be incredibly stupid.

Most computer/laptop shipments have an i5 or less and no dedicated graphics. I'm starting to see really deep manufacturers discounts when I walk past the laptop table at costco. I'm not sure the mainstream segment is still impacted.

I think MS is right to be worried for the OEMs. Almost everyone I know bought a new laptop last year for remote work or school. Looking at YOY sales and shipments it's going to look apocalyptic.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

The Management posted:

my guess is that they are planning something that depends on virtualization features found on recent CPUs and TPM2.

Comedy Intel forced them to do it by refusing to provide chipset drivers if they didn't.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Comedy Intel forced them to do it by refusing to provide chipset drivers if they didn't.

intel can't move enough recent chips so they're calling in a second favor from microsoft (the first was the vista ready)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Management posted:

yeah, quite possibly. another guess is that windows 11 is in practice a feature checkbox in windows 10, i.e. that both are the tip of windows source control and will get the exact same updates etc. so windows 10 can live alongside windows 11 at no additional work forever, and the distinction is mostly to drive these kinds of hardware changes.