Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Something tells me ClassicShell will unfuck all the win 11 start menu and task bar fuckery

classic shell is the real win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

how good is WSL gonna be in windows 11

will this be the next truly great desktop linux

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Gentle Autist posted:

how good is WSL gonna be in windows 11

will this be the next truly great desktop linux

it’s already the best linux. only direction is up

mystes
May 31, 2006

akadajet posted:

it’s already the best linux. only direction is up
Windows is already the best linux on the desktop so up means I guess that now it's time for windows as the best linux on the computer (unless you're one of those people who keeps your computer under the desk)

This made a lot more sense in my imagination before I tried to actually write it

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 30, 2021

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

WSL has reached the level of usability and polish where it's time for microsoft to deprecate the whole thing
as is tradition

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

buy a mac plebs

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's kind of funny that it took a week for windows 11 to go from a thing people were mildly excited about to the new vista or windows 8 and it hasn't even been released yet.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
the cut off at ryzen 3000 and intel 8th gen is completely arbitrary
gotta make more ewaste so microsoft can sell a new oem licence

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

mystes posted:

It's kind of funny that it took a week for windows 11 to go from a thing people were mildly excited about to the new vista or windows 8 and it hasn't even been released yet.

maybe if they weren't teeing up for doing the exact same bullshit as they did with vista people would be of a different opinion...

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Perplx posted:

it's not just for them, it's undoubtedly a bone to their partners too so that people go buy more computers

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Perplx posted:

There a different compatible processor list? I saw my 2700x on the list.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Fabricated posted:

There a different compatible processor list? I saw my 2700x on the list.

I got confused, the newest computers at work have 2400GE and its not compatible, but thats just amd using deceptive naming.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

mystes posted:

its kind of funny that even yospos is taking all the preview requirements stuff as the final requirements even though they're clearly preliminary. there's no way microsoft has a hard cutoff at 4-year-old processors for the next windows

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jenny Agutter posted:

its kind of funny that even yospos is taking all the preview requirements stuff as the final requirements even though they're clearly preliminary. there's no way microsoft has a hard cutoff at 4-year-old processors for the next windows

pedantry? in my yospos??

it’s more likely than you think.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

there's no way microsoft has a hard cutoff at 4-year-old processors for the next windows

they're never going to do <insert dumb idea here> until they do

this is the company that removed the start menu from windows 8, thought app developers would rewrite everything in c# for their too-late phone entry and thought people would actually buy a crappy, cut-down version of windows with no win32 support

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Jenny Agutter posted:

there's no way microsoft has a hard cutoff at 4-year-old processors for the next windows

, the poster kept repeating in increasingly desperate tones

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Ballmer is gone, he can't hurt you anymore

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jenny Agutter posted:

It's not just YOSPOS. The entire internet is complaining about the announced hardware requirements right now.

Also they weren't announced as requirements for the current builds, they were officially announced as the requirements for windows 11.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

mystes posted:

the funniest thing in windows 8 is how all the corner click targets were 1 pixel. so if you had 2 monitors with the primary one on the right, it would take Effort to click the start button.

tied for first place was the supposed new task switcher gesture of top right corner and then down. again pixel perfect.

also tied for first place was the way to get to the power button, whoch involved swiping in on the right to bring up a whole new panel of buttons.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

why do people use windows if not forced

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Gentle Autist posted:

inertia

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Gentle Autist posted:

so that they don't have to use linux

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Gentle Autist posted:

still somehow more usable than a linux (including macos)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

cheap (hardware, though the software also is effectively free) and gives you access to largely all software and support for all hardware of any relevance, while the downsides are largely funny in their stupidity rather than serious problems. if you want to meditate on it in an unfunny way though slashdot still exists.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Gentle Autist posted:

i wanted to play red dead redemption 2

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Fabricated posted:

still somehow more usable than a linux (including macos)

windows users are like american boomers: they've spent the last 20 or so years being convinced that things being terrible and broken is normal and can't imagine that better things are possible. if you show them that things can be better, they have a meltdown and run back to their propaganda outlets because their narcissistic, lead saturated brains can't comprehend it

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Perplx posted:

i wanted to play red dead redemption 2

https://www.protondb.com/app/1174180

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Gentle Autist posted:

If I press enter on a file I want it to open the file instead of rename it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

thumbs up, works great

(and for the record that is not a cherry pick as far as having issues goes, it is just kind of lol that they thumbs-upped it with that list of issues).

e: in fact just about every thumbs up has some variant of "crashes but works between the crashes!" in it

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

eh, that's about the same as your average windows gaming experience

buy a playstation

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

r u ready to WALK posted:

eh, that's about the same as your average windows gaming experience

buy a playstation

fix your computer

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

thumbs up, works great

(and for the record that is not a cherry pick as far as having issues goes, it is just kind of lol that they thumbs-upped it with that list of issues).

e: in fact just about every thumbs up has some variant of "crashes but works between the crashes!" in it

just try it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

you should just start with the anecdotal "i have never had a problem" rather than first linking a page full of people having fairly severe issues while listing random launch flags, settings, and package/software versions they have janitored up to make it only have "fairly" severe issues.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

tbh i don't see why you'd even bother trying to run steam games on linux when tux racer is completely free

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

and either way i can't disagree with the "just buy a ps5" is we're talking about how to conveniently and in a relaxed way play some aaa games (which is where i think compatibility issues are most likely). well, possibly an xbox if game pass keeps looking way better than sonys offering, but either way computer gaming is kind of messy.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 2, 2021

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
blue screen of death is now black screen of eternal void....hosed up

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

you're no fun

protondb is full of ricers, i bet it'll work if you just try it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ended up on windows 11 as i was on insider slow (to try out wsl gpu, very good for cuda as i don't get along with the windows tooling at all), which again suggests that this is a tiny update.

much as i roll my eyes at people complaining loudly about old interfaces here and there in settings, the right-click menu in explorer is now an oversized list of like six (mostly useless, e.g. "copy") items, the last being "more options" which pops up the *old* right-click menu, which has a strict superset of choices, including e.g. the often useful 7zip shortcuts. between that and the new task bar offering no new features while not being possible to move from the bottom of the screen it is all pretty much comically dumb.

i doubt it is worse in any really *substantial* way, but it sure doesn't offer anything to offset these kinds of dumb changes.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the right-click menu in explorer is now an oversized list of like six (mostly useless, e.g. "copy") items, the last being "more options" which pops up the *old* right-click menu, which has a strict superset of choices, including e.g. the often useful 7zip shortcuts. between that and the new task bar offering no new features while not being possible to move from the bottom of the screen it is all pretty much comically dumb.

That's seven times more heinous than any of the windows 8 UI changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

"lets hide the menu items behind an extra click" sure worked out well for MS Office